AZ AZ - Cynthia, 15, & Jackie Leslie, 13, Mesa, 31 July 1974

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Was the boyfriend that the terminally ill father had forbidden his daughter to see, questioned? I wonder what his responses and reactions were?

Apparently, the teenage boy and his parents were both interrogated. At one point the boy's mother had told the Leslies to "call off their dogs".

When I read that the sisters snuck off to a party, I assumed they might have hitchhiked or were offered a ride, but turns out the party was only three blocks away. Some partygoers said the girls were there, others said they weren't. Just because some didn't see them, doesn't mean they weren't there. But what if they were misidentified by those who did see them? There is too much ambiguity.

AFAIK, the girls had not been in the area long and hadn't enrolled in school yet, but they already had friends? Did they fall in with the wrong crowd?

An interesting detail I read is that as soon as the girls disappeared, their friends stopped calling the house. Makes you wonder if what happened to them is an open secret. Surely someone would have spoken up by now, though?

There is another serial killer that may have been in that area at least in the county around that time:

1973 approx. RASMUSSEN and family move back to Phoenix. RASMUSSEN again works for “Otto.” He also works in a shoe shop. 1973 April RASMUSSEN arrested by Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.
1975 June RASMUSSEN is arrested in Phoenix, Arizona for aggravated assault. It is believed that his wife and children left him shortly after this arrest.
1975 or 1976, December RASMUSSEN arrives unexpectedly to visit his wife and children in Payson, AZ. He is in the company of an unidentified female. RASMUSSEN indicates he was living at the Casa Del Rey Apartments in Ingleside, TX. This is the last time RASMUSSEN’s family ever sees him. 1.
1. https://www.doj.nh.gov/news/2017/documents/20171102-allenstown-manchester-timeline.pdf

A 2nd time line with 3 of his victims:

2. Terry Rasmuseen timeline: Suspected serial killer's time in NH, across country

Not sure what he was arrested for in Arizona those two times... I would like to know. There is another victim from the Allenstown murders . the 4th victim was his biological daughter that has yet to be identified. They are still trying to Identify her mother and therefore be able to identify her.

Apparently, the teenage boy and his parents were both interrogated. At one point the boy's mother had told the Leslies to "call off their dogs".

When I read that the sisters snuck off to a party, I assumed they might have hitchhiked or were offered a ride, but turns out the party was only three blocks away. Some partygoers said the girls were there, others said they weren't. Just because some didn't see them, doesn't mean they weren't there. But what if they were misidentified by those who did see them? There is too much ambiguity.

AFAIK, the girls had not been in the area long and hadn't enrolled in school yet, but they already had friends? Did they fall in with the wrong crowd?

An interesting detail I read is that as soon as the girls disappeared, their friends stopped calling the house. Makes you wonder if what happened to them is an open secret. Surely someone would have spoken up by now, though?

How long after their disappearance did the police start questioning people. It might of been the next day and if so the people at the party may not of had a reason to call the girls thinking they were missing ?

There is another serial killer that may have been in that area at least in the county around that time:

1973 approx. RASMUSSEN and family move back to Phoenix. RASMUSSEN again works for “Otto.” He also works in a shoe shop. 1973 April RASMUSSEN arrested by Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office.
1975 June RASMUSSEN is arrested in Phoenix, Arizona for aggravated assault. It is believed that his wife and children left him shortly after this arrest.
1975 or 1976, December RASMUSSEN arrives unexpectedly to visit his wife and children in Payson, AZ. He is in the company of an unidentified female. RASMUSSEN indicates he was living at the Casa Del Rey Apartments in Ingleside, TX. This is the last time RASMUSSEN’s family ever sees him. 1.
1. https://www.doj.nh.gov/news/2017/documents/20171102-allenstown-manchester-timeline.pdf

A 2nd time line with 3 of his victims:

2. Terry Rasmuseen timeline: Suspected serial killer's time in NH, across country

Not sure what he was arrested for in Arizona those two times... I would like to know. There is another victim from the Allenstown murders . the 4th victim was his biological daughter that has yet to be identified. They are still trying to Identify her mother and therefore be able to identify her.

While Rasmussen was known to frequent trailer parks, I am hesitant to think he's involved. His MO seemed to be wooing young mother's and then possibly killing them for access to the children to use as a ruse for his next victim. Abducting and murdering two teens doesn't seem to fit that pattern. It sounds like it was something to do with the party they attended. Either they met a bad person there and became victims of foul play or they were lured to a secondary location and became victims. But it does sound like someone in the town knows what happened.

Someone suggested Ted Bundy? Is there any possiblity that he could had been invovled? It is within his timeline and they might be his type?

JMO, but I think Cynthia Leslie and Dorothy Clitheroe in particular, look a bit alike.

It isn't too far out there to wonder if these sisters and Dorothy may have been victims of the same person.

Here they are for comparison:cynthia_ardina_leslie_2.jpg dorothy_mildred_clitheroe_1.jpg

How long after their disappearance did the police start questioning people. It might of been the next day and if so the people at the party may not of had a reason to call the girls thinking they were missing ?

I'd be skeptical of the police responding that fast to a pair of missing teens back in the '70s, but that's a valid point.

I feel for the parents, particularly their late father. The man was terminally ill and no doubt wanted to see out his last days in the bosom of his family. Instead, he departed this life never knowing the fate of his young daughters.

Cynthia Ardina Leslie​

Cynthia Ardina Leslie

Cynthia Ardina Leslie

MISSING SINCE:07/31/1974SEX:Female
DOB:02/01/1959RACE:White
HEIGHT:5' 6"EYES:Hazel
WEIGHT:110 lbs.HAIR:Brown
DENTAL X-RAYS AVAILABLE:Yes
Cynthia is missing with her sister, Jackie Leslie (DOB: 2/15/1961) and they were last seen on July 31, 1974, in Mesa, Arizona. Photo on the left is age-progressed to 47 years of age. Age progression is provided by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (NCMEC).
Contact
AGENCY:Maricopa County (AZ) Sheriffs Department
PHONE NUMBER:(602) 256-1000
CASE NUMBER:7410415

JMO, but I think Cynthia Leslie and Dorothy Clitheroe in particular, look a bit alike.

It isn't too far out there to wonder if these sisters and Dorothy may have been victims of the same person.

Here they are for comparison:View attachment 284409 View attachment 284410
It's possible, but serial offenders tend to hunt in target-rich environments, and the sisters' neighborhood wasn't one.

Dorothy Clitheroe disappeared from a public park, so it's far more likely that she ran into a serial killer.

In the case of the Leslie sisters, I think that they probably met with someone before the party or left the party with someone, possibly to get Mary Jane, and were then killed, probably following a sexual assault.

It's possible that they were killed at the party, but I don't think that everyone at the party could have kept the murders quiet all this time.

It's possible, but serial offenders tend to hunt in target-rich environments, and the sisters' neighborhood wasn't one.

Dorothy Clitheroe disappeared from a public park, so it's far more likely that she ran into a serial killer.

In the case of the Leslie sisters, I think that they probably met with someone before the party or left the party with someone, possibly to get Mary Jane, and were then killed, probably following a sexual assault.

It's possible that they were killed at the party, but I don't think that everyone at the party could have kept the murders quiet all this time.

Who's Mary Jane?

Agree the people at the party probably would not have kept quiet for so long, if they were aware. A lot of SKs were mobile in that era, so certainly possible they met up with one offering aride, etc.

D'oh. Can't believe I didn't catch that!

I thought there was another player in the case that I missed.

OT: Well, um, I was a full-fledged, self-supporting adult when someone explained The Doobie Brothers to me. Heck, The BGs were The Brothers Gibb, so who knew?

jmho ymmv lrr

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charity4668
Back