Presumed Located AZ - Dongdi "Jason" Wu, 23, Tempe, Maricopa County, 24 Jan 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There was a Full Moon Festival on the 19th of Jan (according to google). But, I don't think that there was much else going on around that time. That looks like it could be a hospital band. It looks more plastic that the paper ones you usually get going to a music concert, fair, etc... But, I guess it could be some sort of funky watch, also. That square facing the camera makes it look more like a watch. I wonder when that pic was taken. The band might be a mute point depending on that (unless it is a hospital band, of course.)
Bbm

That is my point too. We haven't heard if he had any medical issue before. Culturally maybe his family and friends may not want to publicise such details.

A desperate search is ongoing for a young Chinese man who went missing back in January.

The man, identified as Dongdi "Jason" Wu, was an international student from China who recently graduated from Arizona State University. It has been more than three months since Wu up and vanished, and his family is hoping to get some answers.

Wu was last seen on January 24, buying cigarettes and a cell phone charger inside a store near 16th Street and baseline, and it is now known Wu was last located inside a gated community under construction in the middle of the day. A gated community that just happens to be across the street from a fire station at 42nd Place and Baseline Road.

Wu's credit cards have not been used, and his cell phone has not pinged. There has been no activity since
January 24, making his disappearance alarming.

Wu is described by Phoenix Police as 5'8" tall, weighing 160lbs with black hair, brown eyes, and tattoos on his chest, back, and left ankle. Police, however, did not release a description of the tattoos. Wu primarily speaks Chinese.

FOX 10 spoke with one of Wu's friend in January. Zhiguang Yang said Wu's girlfriend spoke to him before he went missing with his dog.

"And Jason replied back around 3:40 a.m., saying 'don't worry, I love you, I'll be back'," said Yang. "That's the last time we ever received messages from him."

More than 3 months later, family of missing Chinese ASU student still searching for answers

Video at liink, also.

More than 3 months later, family of missing Chinese ASU student still searching for answers

Yeah I just watched the new this afternoon. I guess the scene was bad. They said they were unable to even identify the body as being male or female. How sad! It probably is him and he has been there the whole time. Divers were in the pond this weekend looking for more clues.

Sure seems like a good possibility this is Jason. :( Credit goes to @thref23 for pointing out in the UID thread that Jason's last known location was nearby. It's only 1.5 miles: Google Maps

Here's a media report that his dog was found at the shelter. Concerns grow for family and friends over missing Tempe man As far as the tattoo, given the praying hands I thought it might be from Acts 33, but the book of Acts in the Bible only has 28 chapters.

wasn't he with his dog? If so, perhaps dog got in trouble in the water?

According to the above his dog was found at a shelter.

There are some media reports that the unidentified remains were dismembered because a body part was seen on the shore and then divers found the rest of the body in the pond. However, it's possible that the "dismemberment" was due to animal activity/decomposition and not foul play. LE has not yet made a statement with the specifics.

MOO.

Sure seems like a good possibility this is Jason. :( Credit goes to @thref23 for pointing out in the UID thread that Jason's last known location was nearby. It's only 1.5 miles: Google Maps

Oh, I’m so sorry to read this, but thank you for bringing to our attention. It certainly does feel like this could be him. How very sad...:(

Gosh... It's been more than 6 months. Hope he can be identified by DNA.. if not tattoos.. If it's a he. Cause of death may not be found at all:(

My initial question would be - could someone commit suicide in that pond? Would likely be a phone nearby if so.

Gosh... It's been more than 6 months. Hope he can be identified by DNA.. if not tattoos.. If it's a he. Cause of death may not be found at all:(

My initial question would be - could someone commit suicide in that pond? Would likely be a phone nearby if so.

and who would go buy a phone charger that was about to commit suicide? unless he wanted to be found?

and what is in that pond that would dismember him to this degree?

wow, there are a lot of possibilities... plus sometimes we see remains found and the person was never ever reported missing. If it is Jason, maybe not suicide but a drowning accident? And I think simply being in the water like that will do what it does to decompose. Water is powerful stuff, no critters needed.

from this link (8 Things That Happen To A Body When It Decomposes Underwater): Your body generally breaks down more slowly in water than in open air, but other factors can affect the rate of decomposition. You'll putrefy faster in warm, fresh, or stagnant water (a perfect breeding ground for bacteria) than in cold, salty, or running water.

(For anyone who is really interested: Differential Decomposition in Terrestrial, Freshwater, and Saltwater Environments: A Pilot Study)

Thanks @Gardener1850 - I do recall now that his dog was found at a shelter. Anyone recall what the circumstances were? Where was the dog found and by whom and when? Assuming the dog went to one of our county shelters, but who knows.

I went to Prince Avenue Christian School and graduated in 2014 with Jason. We were really good friends but didn’t talk much after he left for Arizona. We discussed visiting each other multiple times but it never happened. Jason was such an awesome, selfless guy.

This is certainly an odd case. It troubles me that a wealthy Chinese student can vanish and it be swept under the rug, presumably not to embarrass the family (?). I'm assuming that he was a Chinese citizen so I guess we don't have a right to the same information we're accustomed to but presumably this was a suicide or accidental death. It would be interesting to know the context of his fight with his girlfriend. Perhaps he very strongly did not want to return to China.

Hello everyone.

I'd first like to state that I really appreciate everyone's attention and energy towards Dongdi's missing person case. It means a lot that so many strangers out there care so much.

<modsnip >

PD: Human remains found at pond near Phoenix resort

It's still unclear what happened or if foul play was involved.

<modsnip - no ID on body in MSM yet>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone.

I'd first like to state that I really appreciate everyone's attention and energy towards Dongdi's missing person case. It means a lot that so many strangers out there care so much.

I am a friend of the family and came across this post and noticed it was tagged as "presumed located", so I felt compelled to provide some more information.

Unfortunately, Dongdi was found dead. His remains were discovered in a golf course pond along Baseline Road. This is a report which covers the discovery of his remains: PD: Human remains found at pond near Phoenix resort

It's still unclear what happened or if foul play was involved. It indicates his body was dismembered, but it's still sort of unknown if that was due to decomposition or if his body was left that way. Pretty much as soon as the remains were located and it was confirmed that it was Dongdi the police seemed to have lost interest in investigating the case any further or in any serious capacity.

Again, I want to thank everyone for the time and energy they spent trying to help us try to find Dongdi.
Thanks for posting to update us. This is sad news. His family and friends must be heartbroken.

I was searching for updates to the human remains news for weeks afterwards. I know, there was none online.

I suppose his belongings were not found in that pond or nearby?

Would you like to alert our moderators to change the "presumed located" to "found deceased"? I think you can simply use the report button beneath your post. You may be asked to verify yourself though as an insider.

Thanks again!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crackerjack82
Back