AZ AZ - Ira Eastman, 56, Payson, 15 March 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, don't feel alone. The Payson PD never returned my call. My brother's widow has to get her information from the papers, because they know things before she does. I do understand that investigators keep a lot of information under wraps, because it's just those details that may trip up the killer(s) and break the case. That's one reason I bite my tongue when I feel like they're not telling us anything.

I wish I knew if the police had a real suspect. Certainly they hoped the person arrested for having owned the gun previously might know something, and maybe he does. He could be involved, or he might not.

I don't know if my brother had a will, but I'm pretty sure he didn't have much to will to anyone. His wife will likely have to sell the house. They had a business with a partner, but it will be a struggle to keep it going without Ira. Motive -- yeah, I'd like to know too.

Where was his wife going so early? It makes me wonder if someone knew she was going somewhere so early, and that he would be alone.

She was going to exercise class, one of the few times they were apart. Yes, I think it's logical to think the killer(s) might have known this.

A custom cabinet business called "Cabinets, Doors & Dreams". I actually don't know the name of their partner, though I probably met him at the memorial service.

http://www.paysonroundup.com/section/localnews/story/15030

xxxxxxxxxo
mama

Man makes false claims in murder case
By Kelly Crowley, Roundup staff reporter

Tuesday, May 4, 2004

The Payson Police Department arrested a man for aggravated assault last week who claimed to have information about the March murder of Ira Eastman.

"We had an aggravated assault in which our suspect claimed he had information about our homicide case," Police Sgt. Rod Mamero said.

According to Payson Police Lt. Don Engler, at around 8 p.m., April 26, someone alerted Mamero to an assault that had just occurred at the 1100 block of South McLane.

"Sgt. Mamero responded and determined there had been an aggravated assault, possibly with a baseball bat," Engler said. "It had also been reported that one of the suspects had a gun."

Mamero said a 27-year-old man had been choked and hit with a baseball bat.

Officers searched for the suspect, who was reportedly driving a white Chevrolet Cavalier.

Through interviews, officers determined that one of the parties involved in the assault was 33-year-old Jared Olsen.

Mamero parked near Olsen's home on Glade Lane to see if there was any activity when a report of a prowler on Airport Road came over the radio.

"The other officers were busy with an incorrigible juvenile call and our victim, who had been taken to the ER," Mamero said. "On my way to the other call, I saw (Olsen). I stopped him and spoke to him."

Deputies from the Gila County Sheriff's Office assisted with other calls the police could not get to. Mamero said it was at that point that Olsen claimed he had information about the kidnapping and murder of Eastman.

Eastman was murdered in March after being taken from his home. The Eastman case is still open and no arrests have been made directly related to the homicide.

Police detectives were called out to question Olsen, but according to Engler, the information "did not pan out." He declined to elaborate on the nature of the information.

Olsen was charged with aggravated assault and booked into the Gila County jail.

The victim was treated for his injuries and later released.

Engler said the assault investigation is ongoing.

I found it highly suspicious that someone would be "returning from an appointment" before 7am in the morning. Another article then said his wife was at the gym and made no mention of it being an appointment. Another then said she was running an errand. Hmmm. If she was indeed at the gym at this "butt crack of dawn" hour, how long had she been attending regularly this early in the AM at the time of her husband's disappearance? Was this a relatively recent "class" she'd begun taking at the gym or had she done this for some time?

The only promising suspect-like person they have mentioned can be linked to her sons, and obviously has a prior felony conviction because he can't own a gun.

It is no mystery to me why they aren't keeping his wife updated on the investigation.

Whoever did this wanted this man dead and wanted nothing else. He had a single deadly gunshot in his head. No mention of evidence of torture... anyone wanting information from the man would have taken measures to get that info... such as gunshot wounds to his kneecaps. He had nothing they wanted but his life.

So... who benefits if he is dead?

But what is the likelyhood it would be the business partner when...

The police would locate the body because they were searching for a gun a young boy had found, but then thrown back?

And then that gun turns out to be one belonging to "suspect X" , who is not allowed by law to own a gun,... but the police say there is no disputing he was, as late as last August, the owner.

And the missing man whose body is located quickly, and near the gun, has a single gunshot wound.

And, coincidentally, "suspect X" was known in the past to pal around with two brothers who are, coincidentally, the sons of the victim's wife! :eek:

Talk about bad luck!! A felon chucks a gun, he was never suppose to have, into a river... only to have it land next to the discarded body of his old pals' stepdad?? :confused:

And if ballistics come back and say that same gun is the murder weapon...??

No town is THAT small. This isn't a Dickens novel or six degrees of separation. Unless this business partner is also a known associate of this same group of people, he is looking pretty clean about now... and at the very least there are two step sons that have some explaining to do.

I found it highly suspicious that someone would be "returning from an appointment" before 7am in the morning. Another article then said his wife was at the gym and made no mention of it being an appointment. Another then said she was running an errand. Hmmm. If she was indeed at the gym at this "butt crack of dawn" hour, how long had she been attending regularly this early in the AM at the time of her husband's disappearance? Was this a relatively recent "class" she'd begun taking at the gym or had she done this for some time?

You don't know anyone who goes to an excercise class before work? This is pretty common. The fact that newspapers conflict in details is certainly no surprise, and doesn't constitute evidence against persons named in the paper.

The only promising suspect-like person they have mentioned can be linked to her sons, and obviously has a prior felony conviction because he can't own a gun.

Actually, the newspaper got it wrong again. This person was known to the family; however, one of the two sons had never met the guy.

So... who benefits if he is dead?

Good question. He didn't have anything of much value. No big life insurance policy. Frankly, his death is a financial disaster for his family and his business partner.

Choirboy...........just wondering if there's been any more news on your brother's case? It's a small town.......seem's like they should have some suspects.......I sure hope so. Let us know,

xxxxxxxxxo
mama

Nothing new; nothing old, for that matter. I'd like to think the police are quietly following their leads and developing evidence, but I've neither seen nor heard anything to encourage me to think so.

http://www.paysonroundup.com/section/localnews/story/15367

This is the first mention I have seen of "bullets" -- that is, more than one bullet. Perhaps this is a typo? Nor had I heard any mention of any bullets exiting the body previously.

Looking back at the earlier news accounts, it was stated more than once that he died from a "single gunshot to the head".

It will take a while, perhaps a long while, but I have confidence that the truth will be found.

Choirboy--
I just found this thread and wanted to say how sorry I am for your brother's death. He looked like such a kind man. Such a shame that someone had to take his life. I hope that the perpetrator is identified and brought to justice soon and may Ira rest in peace.
Karen

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back