AZ - Jorden Marie Simms, 28, accused officer of rape, dies in police custody, Safford, 27 Dec 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From what I read, this particular vehicle was older and it was possible for people to open the doors from the inside.
The sheriff first said it was an older vehicle with no child locks but the official statement from the sheriff's office said that the child lock was not engaged on the passenger side where she was sitting but it was on the driver's side. There's no way she could have gotten out of those chains without the cops hearing them.

How likely is it that neither the Sheriff’s deputy nor the detention center employee who were both in the car with the door accidentally left unlocked noticed her slipping out of the restraints? Chains make noise. It would take some wriggling around to remove the belly chain and cuffs. All of this happened after they loosened her foot restraints. Were they blind and deaf?

I’m not buying it.

The sheriff first said it was an older vehicle with no child locks but the official statement from the sheriff's office said that the child lock was not engaged on the passenger side where she was sitting but it was on the driver's side. There's no way she could have gotten out of those chains without the cops hearing them.

What do you think happened then?

From what I read, this particular vehicle was older and it was possible for people to open the doors from the inside.

I had read that the child locks were not activated on the driver side.

But, if it is true that the vehicle had no locks, then there is definitely a negligence suit coming. She was being transported to a hospital for further evaluation of her mental state. She was in their care and control. She could not make decisions for herself at all. They are responsible for her safety as she is a prisoner and her mental state is in question. She should not have been able to harm herself by getting out of the car--similar to others in custody who are on suicide watch.

I am not sure that more nefarious things were happening but it is not good for this department in either way we can look at this scenario.

1 of 2

SAFFORD — The Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) has opened an investigation into a case in which an arrested female subject made allegations against a Safford Police officer and a Graham County detention officer.

The subject, Jorden Simms, later allegedly jumped from a moving Graham County Sheriff’s Office (GCSO) patrol vehicle. According to a GCSO news release issued Sunday, Dec. 29, Simms was later pronounced deceased from injuries sustained in the incident.

On Dec. 21, Simms, 28, was contacted by Safford Police in relation to an allegation of shoplifting. It was found she also had an outstanding warrant for her arrest for theft from Yavapai County. She was taken into custody and booked into the Graham County Jail.

On Dec. 23, Simms made the allegations about the conduct of the arresting officer. Safford Police then requested that DPS conduct the investigation into Simms’ allegations.

“The investigation has begun and the Safford Police Department is committed to seeing it through to its final outcome,” Brugman said in a Safford Police Department press release issued Saturday, Dec. 28.

While the nature of the allegations was not disclosed in the release, Safford Police Chief Joe Brugman told the Courier on Saturday, Dec. 28, that “a sex assault kit with DNA had been used and DPS has the kit in its possession. To our knowledge, the kit has not yet been processed.”

According to the GCSO release, on Dec. 23 Simms was transported from the jail by Safford Police Department personnel for a “specialized exam.”

Safford Police announced an officer was placed on paid administrative leave pending the results of an investigation stemming from Simms’ allegations. In the Safford Police press release, the department announced the unnamed officer had been placed on leave effective Dec. 24.

Simms was returned to Graham County Jail on Dec. 24. In the evening, she reported being sexually assaulted that morning by a detention officer while being dressed out. Two days later, it was arranged to transport Simms to a Sierra Vista advocacy center for a specialized examination. She was taken there by a GCSO deputy and a detention sergeant; according to the GCSO release, the vehicle was a Ford Explorer.

According to the GCSO release, after the initial exam a medical professional at the center recommended taking Simms to Mount Graham Regional Medical Center, which had equipment not available at the center. They were reportedly northbound on 20th Avenue, near the hospital, the officers riding in front and Simms in the rear, when she allegedly opened the door and jumped out. Simms had reportedly removed her handcuffs, belly chain and ankle restraints.

The release stated that, according to the investigation, GCSO staff had loosened the ankle restraints after Simms complained they were causing pain; a small tube of shower gel with an open cap was found in the rear, as were Simms’ jail-issued shoes; and the child-proof lock on Simms’ side had been switched to the off position. The shower gel was reportedly the same type used at the Sierra Vista advocacy center, and was reportedly kept in the restroom Simms used while there.

Simms incurred life-threatening injuries, including a severe head injury, in the incident. Crystal Barnett, who identifies herself as Simms’ aunt, posted on social media Saturday, Dec. 28, photos of Simms in a Tucson hospital bed, saying Simms “is expected to take her last breath tonight.”e GCSO release stated Simms was later pronounced deceased at Banner University Medical Center.

According to Barnett’s post, Simms, whom Barnett said was transported to Sierra Vista on Dec. 26 for a “rape test,” was involved in an accident and was transported to Tucson. According to Barnett’s post, the family was told Simms was “transported to Sierra Vista for psychiatric analysis and, upon her return to Safford, slipped her handcuffs and jumped from the moving transport vehicle.”

The Courier’s attempts to contact Barnett were not immediately returned.

According to the GCSO release, DPS conducted the initial on-scene investigation with assistance from the Sheriff’s Office. The DPS Investigation Division, out of Phoenix, will examine the events involving Simms.

Graham County Sheriff P.J. Allred said he could not comment further on the case due to the ongoing DPS investigation.

DPS investigating deceased inmate’s allegations against officers

HOW would you be able to slip out of shackles, a chain and handcuffs in the back seat of a car?? #icallbs

From personal experience, if you have small hands, it's often easy to slip out of cuffs. No experience with the other items. I read in one of the stories that the man and the woman sexually assaulted her separately on different days. Seems a little strange. But I don't know what happened and there needs to be an independent and transparent investigation.

From personal experience, if you have small hands, it's often easy to slip out of cuffs. No experience with the other items. I read in one of the stories that the man and the woman sexually assaulted her separately on different days. Seems a little strange. But I don't know what happened and there needs to be an independent and transparent investigation.

Yeah I think the theory would be that she reported the rape and then was sodomized in retaliation. It does seem odd. But it just seems like you’d kill her before she had the rape kit done.

Unless some people want things done the right way and some want to cover for the rapist. Dueling forces could explain this. Good guys trying to do things the right way, bad guys screw it up?

Yeah I think the theory would be that she reported the rape and then was sodomized in retaliation. It does seem odd. But it just seems like you’d kill her before she had the rape kit done.

Unless some people want things done the right way and some want to cover for the rapist. Dueling forces could explain this. Good guys trying to do things the right way, bad guys screw it up?

It is not unheard of that prisoners who complain get the wrath of guards.

Sounds like this is not the first time that officer French has arrested a female shoplifter who later required transport to the hospital. In 2010, Samantha Sanchez claimed to be a witch during her arrest by officer French, and claimed she was casting some sort of spell upon him and his family members. Is it possible something sinister happened to this woman and was covered up with this strange tale of the woman being highly intoxicated, proclaiming to be a witch, and casting a spell upon the arresting officer; as a way to discredit anything the woman might say? Who knows, but here is the link, for anyone curious about this interesting read:
Inebriated woman hexes officer

Sounds like this is not the first time that officer French has arrested a female shoplifter who later required transport to the hospital. In 2010, Samantha Sanchez claimed to be a witch during her arrest by officer French, and claimed she was casting some sort of spell upon him and his family members. Is it possible something sinister happened to this woman and was covered up with this strange tale of the woman being highly intoxicated, proclaiming to be a witch, and casting a spell upon the arresting officer; as a way to discredit anything the woman might say? Who knows, but here is the link, for anyone curious about this interesting read:
Inebriated woman hexes officer

I think that's a real stretch.

There are just too many incidents happening in this story for it to be true!

The first two incidents I believe happened. From there, it was a set-up or purposeful acts to punish Miss Simms for reporting what had been done to her.

How she went out the vehicle’s door is something we will never know. My 1997 Ford Expedition had child locks on the back doors. I bet the PD wasn’t driving a vehicle older than that. Also, in an article a poster
posted above, it states that the child locks were on the opposite back door from where she sat. So, wonder what the true story is?

Justice for these actions. They made her out to be crazy.

From the article posted in #36.

Graham County officials put out a lengthy press release after Simms' death that raised more questions than answers. In their press release, sheriff's officials said Simms was transported to an advocacy center more than 24 hours after she claimed she had been sexually assaulted.

A medical professional who examined her told jail staff to take Simms to a local hospital as they did not have the medical equipment needed for further examination of Simms.

While on the way to the local hospital in Safford, Simms, who was shackled and cuffed in the back seat of a sheriff's vehicle, somehow managed to get out of her handcuffs, leg cuffs, and waist chain, then jump out of a moving vehicle. She sustained injuries that led to her death. Sheriff's officials say they found a bottle of shower gel in the back seat of the car.

Justice for these actions. They made her out to be crazy.

From the article posted in #36.

Graham County officials put out a lengthy press release after Simms' death that raised more questions than answers. In their press release, sheriff's officials said Simms was transported to an advocacy center more than 24 hours after she claimed she had been sexually assaulted.

A medical professional who examined her told jail staff to take Simms to a local hospital as they did not have the medical equipment needed for further examination of Simms.

While on the way to the local hospital in Safford, Simms, who was shackled and cuffed in the back seat of a sheriff's vehicle, somehow managed to get out of her handcuffs, leg cuffs, and waist chain, then jump out of a moving vehicle. She sustained injuries that led to her death. Sheriff's officials say they found a bottle of shower gel in the back seat of the car.

I saw nothing in this article that said the authorities said she was crazy. If she was raped twice as she stated, jumping out might seem like the only way to avoid more abuse. I don't know what the true story is so I will not condemn her or the police officers until more is known.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Janemt
Back