Found Deceased AZ - Julie Cappetta, 53, visiting from PA, went for a walk, Sun Lakes, 10 Jul 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, I still find it hard to think she'd have been abducted from a retirement village during the high-heat of the day.

I'm still thinking medical episode brought on by heat OR a willing disappearance, hence the reason she left everything behind.

Why is nothing being said about her PA homelife and why she was taking a trip out west at the worst possible time other than to see her Dad. (Which is reason enough I guess.) Did she have a job back home, a husband??? How long was she scheduled to stay? Imo there's something being left unsaid. Especially to jump right in to it must be an abduction (and maybe it is) because she's native American.

Family desperate for answers after mother vanishes in Sun Lakes | 12news.com

His mother flew to Arizona from Pittsburgh on July 1 to visit her dad, Richard, in Sun Lakes. The family said she went for a walk Saturday morning around 9:30 a.m., while her father was out running errands.

When he returned hours later, there was no sign of his daughter but her cell phone, purse and identification were in the house.

“That’s not like her. She’d usually have her phone on her. She’d have an MP3 player to listen to music while she’s on her walk but to just leave the house with nothing on her isn’t right,” said Gabriel.

Maricopa County Sheriff's Office and Gila River Police Department Investigating
“We’ve been on social media, especially with the missing and murdered indigenous women’s groups,” said Julie's sister-in-law, Patricia Henderson, who flew in from South Dakota to help with the search.

Julie is Lakota with family ties to the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe.

I am not reading anywhere that anyone actually saw her that morning. Only that her father said she left the house to go for a walk at 9:30. Shen she came out of the house she could have turned right or left and with very different neighborhoods. Turning left takes her deeper into the homes and turning right takes her out to more of a commercial area.
When was the last anyone actually laid eyes on her?

Just guessing, could someone have seen her in a store in the commercial area and she complained about the heat and offered to drive her home! I'm sure they can piece it together, it's not that big of a community is it? Is it like broke down into villages like some 55 and overs are.

She was there for 10 days so far. Did she do/go anywhere other then visit with dad and walk? Maybe she met someone somewhere and that person had ill intentions? IMO. Just trying to think of other possibilities.

I am not reading anywhere that anyone actually saw her that morning. Only that her father said she left the house to go for a walk at 9:30. Shen she came out of the house she could have turned right or left and with very different neighborhoods. Turning left takes her deeper into the homes and turning right takes her out to more of a commercial area.
When was the last anyone actually laid eyes on her?
When was the last time anyone other than her dad laid eyes on her?

I would also be curious to hear some more of the general small seemingly unimportant details around the trip. Things like what was happening in her & her family's life, what brought her to visit (did she visit regularly or was it somewhat impromptu), how long was she staying (or how long has she stayed in the past if visiting is a regular thing), ... and just some basic details. I'm sure it sounds somewhat petty or intrusive to ask, but I think there is useful info to be gleaned on those type of details. That being said, I am also sure that LE is already gathering that level of detail so the important parties likely have that.
Another thought I have is that the neighborhoods between 88th & Dobson, and the one between Dobson & S. Alma school road are SOO similar that I wonder of she could have gotten confused between the two. ...especially if the heat did start to affect her at all. And extending on that thought, regardless of what may have happened to her, perhaps it happened in that next neighborhood to the east because she somehow got confused as to where she was as she tried to return home.

Family desperate for answers after mother vanishes in Sun Lakes | 12news.com

His mother flew to Arizona from Pittsburgh on July 1 to visit her dad, Richard, in Sun Lakes. The family said she went for a walk Saturday morning around 9:30 a.m., while her father was out running errands.

When he returned hours later, there was no sign of his daughter but her cell phone, purse and identification were in the house.

“That’s not like her. She’d usually have her phone on her. She’d have an MP3 player to listen to music while she’s on her walk but to just leave the house with nothing on her isn’t right,” said Gabriel.

Maricopa County Sheriff's Office and Gila River Police Department Investigating
“We’ve been on social media, especially with the missing and murdered indigenous women’s groups,” said Julie's sister-in-law, Patricia Henderson, who flew in from South Dakota to help with the search.

Julie is Lakota with family ties to the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe.
Ok, so now I have a few questions.

How did Dad know she was going for a walk? Did she tell him before he left, or did she leave the house before him?

If not, we could be looking at something which happened at the house. Did she meet someone or know someone locally? Cell phone records should yield some clues to that question. Any weird neighbors who have been friendly on the walks Julie & Dad took together?

Last edited:
Google Maps
This is her father's home.

Google Maps
This is the neighborhood.
It looks to have several lakes, ponds. Also, I wonder if there are door bell cameras on those homes.
It seems someone should have seen her since she probably was walking in the street, I don't see sidewalks.
It was about 104F at 11:30 am yesterday and by mid-afternoon, it was 106F in nearby Chandler.

Surely she wouldn't have gotten off city sidewalks? There are several "lakes" in the neighborhood, and a lot of desert to the south.

Nothing is said in the article about an active search for her.
Hi there. The MSCO, Gila River Police, and her family/friends have all been actively looking for her.

Julie told her father before she left. Cell records show calls only to family and friends. No weird interactions
Thanks, so she left the home before he did that day? Any camera footage of her on the walk? Do we know her route or normal distance walked? Fit bit or Apple Watch? What do you make of the fact her phone was left at home?

Thanks, so she left the home before he did that day? Any camera footage of her on the walk? Do we know her route or normal distance walked? Fit bit or Apple Watch? What do you make of the fact her phone was left at home?
From the above article is sounds like she had an old phone that used to belong to her son that doesn't have GPS, if she's using an old phone like that an Apple watch or fit bit seems out of the question. IMO

<modsnip>
Thank you so much for sharing! It sounds like you are local and familiar with the case and parties involved. I think you could be a valuable resource if you considered becoming a verified insider to the WebSleuths site. I dont have the details on how to do so right handy but I'm sure one of our awesome Mods will chime in shortly and provide that. As I understand the process, your identity will remain very confidential.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back