Recovered/Located AZ - Lance Cpl. Job Wallace, 20, Camp Pendleton Marine, Surprise, 16 Sept 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I put the location of where the truck was spotted on surveillance video in red type, as you had already used bolding. I wanted to add the Fort Hancock location to the map that @zecats started, and that you had added Camp Pendleton to:

Google Maps

Here is a zoomed in part of the map around Fort Hancock:

View attachment 205589

If the surveillance video wasn't at the Fort Hancock border crossing, maybe the truck was on Texas State Highway 20 (TX-20)--but it sounds like the vehicle left I-10 before it was captured on video.

From the opening post page one link NYPost:

.... But a Border Patrol camera spotted his truck the next morning traveling eastbound on Interstate 10 near Fort Hancock, Texas, southeast of El Paso. ..."

Border Patrol has cameras and checkpoints on US interstates and roads other than at border crossings. Willie Nelson's tour bus was famously stopped on Nov 27, 2010, at the Sierra Blanca, TX, Border Patrol checkpoint, about 35 miles east of Fort Hancock, TX. I wonder if the Sierra Blanca cameras are the ones that captured the image of JW's truck. The person driving seems to have intentionally covered his face perhaps showing that he is aware of the presence of the cameras.

JMO I do not think JW went AWOL.

Any interviews via msm from any of the Marines he works with?
The military can be very clique-ish and your experiences can vary widely based on who your superiors are, what unit you are in etc. It said he was recently promoted (that's always good) except that the promotion included a move to a different base (new people to work with, new chain of command etc) and that may have resulted in a completely different experience for him in terms of his job. Who you work with/under/over can have a much greater impact on your life when you are in the military vs the civilian world because you don't just work 9-5 with people and then go home to your own surroundings. You literally work, eat, sleep and live amongst the same small group of people every day.

Just throwing out some ideas in terms of how his family could be right that he loved being a marine etc but how that may have dramatically changed very recently.

I hope he is simply AWOL because the alternatives certainly aren't good.

The face of the driver was covered so it is undetermined if Wallace was driving.

I don’t believe he’s gone AWOL either just from this statement, I think something happened to him in Arizona, possibly that friend knows more than he’s saying.
Sure, turn your phone off and drive the other direction, but to cover your own face to make everyone unsure if it’s you? There’s more too it, I think it was someone else in the car. MOO

Missing Marine
UPDATE: We have reasonably credible evidence that Job’s truck was spotted yesterday afternoon in the SE Dallas metro area.

[...]
Thanks. Wonder if this is where his Texas family members live? If he is the one driving this vehicle, he is definitely avoiding returning to Camp Pendleton. And, in that case, how long can he stay hidden? (Not doing such a good job of staying off CCTV.)

Last update was that the truck was spotted near Dallas. I taught JW and I don't think he went AWOL. He told me Saturday he was being promoted and loved being a Marine. It was all he talked about in school. I'm glad I found this forum. Any info or insight helps.

I taught JW in Surprise for many years. I don’t feel that he is the kind of person who would go AWOL and abandon his responsibilities. I hope that I am wrong. I hope that he smoked pot, knew he’d fail a drug test, and panicked. I hope he is driving around the Dallas area, unsure of how to get out of this situation that he has found himself. I hope these things are true...

However, I fear that they are not.

Some assumptions:

If we assume that JW did not go AWOL, and was indeed on his way back to Camp Pendleton, then we can explain the missing 5 hours from his truck’s timeline by including travel south through Yuma, AZ. If he truly left Surprise around 8:30-9pm, and his truck was seen around 9am east of Fort Hancock (per the information on the missing person flyer) then a trip to Yuma, followed by driving directly east, lines up about perfectly.

Surprise to Yuma = 2h 38m according to google maps.

Yuma to Fort Hancock = 8h 33m according to google maps.

9pm + 2h 38m + 8h 33m = 8:11am.

It is 608 miles from Yuma to Fort Hancock. Assuming a full tank of gas in Yuma (maybe JW stopped and got gas there) the 2004 Explorer Sport Trac can make it roughly 470 miles, highway, on a full tank of gas. Therefore, the truck would have to have stopped somewhere along the way, which could account for the slight discrepancy in time. The distance from Yuma to somewhere like Lordsburg, AZ fits the distance that the truck could make it from Yuma on a full tank of gas.

Hopefully, someone is checking the gas stations and cameras in the Yuma area - or an analogous location along the I-10 corridor that fits the travel/time requirements.

It would help if the camera image was made available, as well as the location that his phone was last on the network. I realize that these things are being kept unavailable for a reason, but every bit of data helps.

JW - come home safe. If you are feeling trapped with no escape, reach out to anyone to let us know that you are alive and finding your way back.

Last update was that the truck was spotted near Dallas. I taught JW and I don't think he went AWOL. He told me Saturday he was being promoted and loved being a Marine. It was all he talked about in school. I'm glad I found this forum. Any info or insight helps.
Welcome to Websleuths, Gusgus. Thank you for joining and I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on Job's disappearance.

Please consider becoming a Verified Insider. As a VI, you will not be required to back up your statements with links like the rest of us. This link has more information:

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

I taught JW in Surprise for many years. I don’t feel that he is the kind of person who would go AWOL and abandon his responsibilities. I hope that I am wrong. I hope that he smoked pot, knew he’d fail a drug test, and panicked. I hope he is driving around the Dallas area, unsure of how to get out of this situation that he has found himself. I hope these things are true...

Some assumptions:

If we assume that JW did not go AWOL, and was indeed on his way back to Camp Pendleton, then we can explain the missing 5 hours from his truck’s timeline by including travel south through Yuma, AZ. If he truly left Surprise around 8:30-9pm, and his truck was seen around 9am east of Fort Hancock (per the information on the missing person flyer) then a trip to Yuma, followed by driving directly east, lines up about perfectly.

It is 608 miles from Yuma to Fort Hancock. Assuming a full tank of gas in Yuma (maybe JW stopped and got gas there) the 2004 Explorer Sport Trac can make it roughly 470 miles, highway, on a full tank of gas. Therefore, the truck would have to have stopped somewhere along the way, which could account for the slight discrepancy in time. The distance from Yuma to somewhere like Lordsburg, AZ fits the distance that the truck could make it from Yuma on a full tank of gas.

Hopefully, someone is checking the gas stations and cameras in the Yuma area - or an analogous location along the I-10 corridor that fits the travel/time requirements.

It would help if the camera image was made available, as well as the location that his phone was last on the network. I realize that these things are being kept unavailable for a reason, but every bit of data helps.

JW - come home safe. If you are feeling trapped with no escape, reach out to anyone to let us know that you are alive and finding your way back.
Welcome, Dschroeder323. Very pleased to see people here who know Job. Thank you for being here.

Please see post above for information on becoming a Verified Insider. :)

Some assumptions:

Welcome! It's so helpful to have insiders in this forum. That's a very interesting assumption....Yes, authorities should be checking all CCTV heading west from Surprise as well.

Some assumptions:

Good math...good theory. What do you suspect after Yuma in that case? He turned around and headed back east for some reason? Or he ran into trouble in Yuma and his truck was taken? JMO

Since I can actually claim to have been in Yuma (once-enough) I know it's relatively small town and hopefully he would have been spotted there somewhere.

PS. No offense to Yuma. Just that it was one of the hottest places I’ve ever been.

I should have phrased my question differently: were there sightings in Yuma? Phone ping? Gas station stop?

I realize that's the direction he should have been heading if going back to his base but I'm wondering, did he ever head that direction? If so, did he get to Yuma? Further? Fell short?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymousangel444
Back