AZ AZ - Mark Goudeau, Baseline killer & serial rapist, accused of 9 murders

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Catherine Cryer had on an interesting guest today - an expert in serial killers. It think it reruns, so you might still be able to watch it. Here ya go:

I didn't know that serial killers don't want to get caught, and if they think LE is zoning in on them they will stop what they are doing. They love it and want to keep on doing it.

There is a pattern of time of day for both killers, not no real time pattern for how often they strike with these two SK's.

This is not the first time there have been 2 SK's on the loose in a city at the same time. Once in LA they had several SK's at once stalking victims.

Also interesting, SK's are harder to catch than regular killers. They will be both caught he said. But SK's draw randomly for their victims, and there is usually not DNA to use as a bullet has no DNA and they often shoot victims. Regular killings have a base they can start from of family and friends and there is often DNA as other werapons are used as well as guns.

He said the serial shooter is changing guns back and forth and that every shooting he is given credit for is definately done by him/her. No ID made on serial shooter, hence no sketch.

BTK stopped killing because he got a job that satisfied his need to control other people - giving people tickets. His need to kill was satiated at that point.

Well, those are just a few things I picked up that were interesting. Hard to catch one of these guys!

Scandi

I agree, Scandi, they are hard to catch. Especially if they change an mo to confuse a profiler.

There are some hard and fast rules but they apply to a multitude. When, how and if they escalate is anyones guess. But the baseline is there to include into the puzzle.

Scandi,

thanks for the great post! I wish I would have seen Catherine's show, it sounds like a good one.

LE is telling us now not to believe the rumors we hear. I don't know what rumors that might be, but they didn't elaborate.

Hi AZ.

Rumors, huh? Maybe they will promo it on AMW tonight, and also maybe you will have a new article in your local Sunday paper tomorrow.

There should be a show on tonight - what, the Big Story on MSNBC. Hill has been on that show several times, so maybe he'll be on again and at least we'll learn what the rumor is.

Scandi

scandi said:
Thanks for the links. It sounds like each killer must have more than one gun and changes them with attacks to throw off police~! I wonder if they somehow work together, except that would be too bizarre for words.

Scandi

PS: I can't post the link because somehow my puter has no address bar when I Google up a link, but I read an interesting article about the man brought up from Kentucky in Jan who had admitted he shot a lady in Tempe. He went there with a friend he knew from Kentucky and some other dude he described as very scary. So scary he didn't want to rat on him.

Last week this guy recinded his story when the police told him he couldn't have done it because she wasn't killed on the street where he said, but rather in her apt a ways away from there. But the police stated in the article they thought this scary guy could be the Baselkine killer as they have definite proof she was indeed killed by the Baseline killer! By the way, this guy said he had come up to Pheonix with his friend to make a drug deal.

Scandi, I suspect you are using Internet Explorer as your browser.

Try this: On the top line, go to VIEW and click on it. Then click on TOOLBARS. Then click on ADDRESS BAR.

Hopefully, your address bar will be back.

Thanks Wudge. I've tried that and it doesn't work. It has something to do with the size of the big window that is on the screen for Google. I noticed that it never used to go up so high into the toolbar, and now in fact covers the area where the address bar was.

Right now I have the address bar up top. If I search through Yahoo or Google, suddenly it is gone. Exasperating!

Scandi

scandi said:
Thanks Wudge. I've tried that and it doesn't work. It has something to do with the size of the big window that is on the screen for Google. I noticed that it never used to go up so high into the toolbar, and now in fact covers the area where the address bar was.

Right now I have the address bar up top. If I search through Yahoo or Google, suddenly it is gone. Exasperating!

Scandi
You may find good help with internet explorer tool bar how-to's (along with other internet explorer info) at
http://www.hsls.pitt.edu/guides/phia/training/internetexplorer.pdf

I also tried to send you a pm but it says your box is full.

scandi said:

Scandi

That has happened to me and I tried clicking where the address bar should be and it suddenly appeared.

I thought AMW did a great job on the two serial killers.

I didn't know that the shooter is using a 4 door silver car, wears a baseball cap and is in his 20's. I don't know if I haven't been reading the news stories closely enough or if this is new info.

I keep hearing that the Baseline Killer is "due" to strike again, according to his pattern. Maybe he is laying low because of all the publicity.

Here's the link of the Baseline Rapist case featured on AMW:
http://www.americasmostwanted.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=39736

I also wanted to add that I was looking at the timeline, and I noticed something - well, interesting.

This guy who's in jail for the first murder (who later recanted his confession) told a story about how he and the murderer traveled together to Phoenix for a drug deal, met a stripper, and he killed her in the parking lot of her apt complex.

That's interesting because they would have had to been in town for over a month. The killers first victim was Aug 06, 2005. It was a sexual assault. The first murder took place Sep 08, 2005. Not saying that it's impossible, but this guy would have to know the area for most the crimes he has committed. Theres one (at least) in a rural area. And the fact that he's remained unnoticed for all this time - leads me to believe that he's not just meandering around Phoenix.

I have google maped all of these locations, and have found one or two that are in rural areas. The others are really close to strip malls, or stores - places where there would be cameras. I'll post that information when I get it all organized. And the first murder was right in front of a busy street that leads to a major highway. And it's not too far away from a grocery store. Right behind that grocery store, next to the railroad tracks is a transient camp. I'm looking back and I remember when that murder happened. I used to work right down the street from where it happened. Had no idea that a serial criminal was working the area.

I read those articles, and thought this guy who confessed and then recanted was brought up from the South by LE in Jan, and he has been in jail in Tempe ever since then. I think he knows and was with the Baseline killer, but is too skeered for his life to say anything about him, like what he looked like. where they picked him up, etc.

Scandi

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0725serial-chronology0725.html

Baseline Killer's bloody trail
Almost a year of brutality

Judi Villa, Michael Kiefer and William Hermann
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 25, 2006 12:00 AM

He is brazen.

He once robbed a store at gunpoint, then ran across the street to carjack a woman and sexually assault her.

He strikes at night and wears disguises, snatching women from crowded corners to rape them or kill them.

And he kills without lingering, sometimes leaving the bodies just a short distance away.

Phoenix police believe the "Baseline Killer" is linked to seven sexual assaults, eight robbery incidents and six homicides. The latest was a woman abducted from a carwash and killed on June 29.

It started with a sexual assault in August, but police didn't know it yet. By late September, they started making connections.

Sept. 28
Victims: A 12-year-old girl and her 36-year-old mother.
Attacker: Unknown.

They sat in their car in a restaurant parking lot at South Central Avenue and Baseline Road, waiting for someone inside to return. It was 9:30 p.m.

Nearby, a man jumped through the restaurant's takeout window, snatching a purse and other items from an employee before he left through the same window. In the parking lot, he saw the woman and her daughter and forced his way into their car at gunpoint. He made the mother drive. In the back seat, he sexually assaulted her daughter.

Then he told the mother to park nearby. She was next.

The following day, police went public with their suspicions. The attack was similar to two others in August: Two girls, ages 13 and 14, had been sexually assaulted at gunpoint behind a church, and two women had been forced into the bushes and sexually assaulted as they walked home from a park.

In all three attacks, the description of the rapist and his behavior were remarkably similar.

As the almost-yearlong investigation progressed, police would link 21 incidents to the attacker from Aug. 6 to June 29. Known first as the "Baseline Rapist" and now as the Baseline Killer, he has shot six people to death and is connected by evidence to three robbery incidents. His tally of violence would include seven sexual assaults and five other robberies, although there is no firm forensic evidence in the latter cases. In many of those incidents, there was more than one victim.

But, back in September, police weren't 100 percent sure what they had. They released a composite sketch of the rapist, a Black man with dreadlocks and what looked like a fishing hat.

"We were going to hopefully get a handle on it before we got much further," Assistant Police Chief Kevin Robinson said of the decision to go public.

But it wasn't just sexual assaults. Early on, the robberies started, too.

Nov. 3
Incidents to date: Nine.

Victims: A 61-year-old man and a 29-year-old woman.

A man with dreadlocks and a fishing hat walked into a lingerie shop on North 32nd Street.

"I'm a little nervous," he told the woman behind the counter. She didn't think much of it. A lot of guys say that when they're buying lingerie or sex toys.

Owner Henry Loeb, who was not present during the robbery but arrived shortly afterward, said the man pulled a gun and ran out of the store with $720. Less than 10 minutes later, the same man reportedly abducted a woman from a grocery-store parking lot across the street and sexually assaulted her. She had been putting clothes into a donation bin when she was taken in her own car.

Four days later, on Nov. 7, a Black man with a wig and a fishing hat robbed a Mexican grill, a pizza place next door to it and four people standing in the parking lot at 32nd Street and Thomas Road. Police reports say he made off with $463 and fired a round into the air as he fled on foot.

By this time, police already had cast a wide net, looking at every robbery involving a Black man with a gun to see if they might possibly be linked and if any could provide valuable clues. They were looking at sexual assaults, too, and noticed similarities between the Nov. 3 attack and the three previous ones, even though the rapist apparently had moved from south Phoenix to east Phoenix.

Police again released a description of the rapist, noting his shoulder-length hair was possibly a wig. He had round plastic glasses.

Dec. 12
Incidents to date: 14.

Victim: A 39-year-old woman.

Tina Washington regularly took the bus to work. She was a preschool teacher and a mother of two. She had told co-workers that two men had been harassing her as she waited at the bus stop at 40th Street and Southern Avenue to catch a ride home to Tempe.

Just before 7 p.m., a witness heard shots and saw a man with a drawn gun standing over a woman behind a fast-food chicken restaurant and a gas-station convenience store at Southern Avenue and 40th Street. Washington had been shot in the head. Another bullet had ripped through her hand as if she was trying to protect herself.

Washington was the Baseline Killer's second murder victim, although police didn't know it yet. Georgia Thompson, 19, had been shot in the head Sept. 8 in the parking lot of her Tempe apartment complex. It would be 10 months later and seven months after Washington's death before police forensically linked Thompson's murder to the Baseline Killer.

In January, though, police sifting through evidence began to suspect that Washington's murderer might be the same man who had committed the three robberies on Nov. 7. While forensic evidence seemed to link the crimes, there was nothing that conclusively pointed to one attacker.

A day after Washington's murder, another woman was robbed. Then three months passed with no similar crimes.

March 15
Incidents to date: 16.

Victims: A 23-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman.

Chao "George" Chou and Liliana Sanchez-Cabrera left their place of employment, Yoshi's restaurant, at 24th Street and Indian School Road, at about 10:30 p.m. on March 14. Chou, a Taiwanese national described by his boss as a "very nice and polite young man," had been working at the restaurant about four years. Sanchez-Cabrera had just completed her first shift .

They left together in Chou's vehicle.

At 8:02 the next morning, employees of another fast-food restaurant across the street and down the street at 22nd Street and Indian School called police to report finding a body in a car in the parking lot. It was Sanchez-Cabrera's. She had been shot in the head at close range.

Nearly four hours later, Chou's body was found in an alley about a mile away. He also had been shot in the head.

March 29
Incidents to date: 18.

Victim: A 26-year-old woman.

Glenn Notsch, who runs a swimming-pool service from a home on 24th Street about a mile south of Thomas Road, parked his car in the back of the business eight days or so after Chou and Sanchez-Cabrera were found dead and noticed drag marks in the gravel and patches of blood on the stones. He called police, who looked around and found nothing.

The next week, on March 29, Notsch noticed a strong odor when he came to work. His dog insisted on nosing through a pile of debris between the house used by the business and a storage shed. Notsch moved some boards.

"I remember seeing an arm and a leg with no clothing on them. And I just ran out of there," he said.

It was the body of Kristin Nicole Gibbons. She also had been shot in the head, and her body was badly decomposed.

Police say evidence indicated that the three murders were connected and that all three were linked to Washington's death.

A small task force formed in April, and police prepared to go public with the information linking all the murders and the three robberies.

But before they did, a man in a latex Halloween mask abducted a woman in a car from a parking lot on 32nd Street at Thomas, right in front of the Mexican grill and pizza joint that had been robbed in November, and sexually assaulted her at gunpoint.

The May 1 attack "told us a number of things that we needed to know," Sgt. Andy Hill said. But Hill would not be more specific.

What was clear was that police then knew they had a serial killer and robber who looked to be the rapist who had first attacked last August. They went public on May 5 with a list of 18 violent crimes they believed to be linked.

The composite remained the same: a Black man with dreadlocks and a fishing hat. Police said it was the best description they had. The attacker likely wore disguises and committed his crimes after dark. They appealed for tips.

"We don't want anyone else to be harmed," Robinson, the assistant police chief, said at the time.

June 29
Incidents to date: 20.

Victim: A 37-year-old woman.

Carmen Miranda, a mother of two, went to a carwash at 29th Street and Thomas Road, just a few hundred yards from parking lot where the November robberies and the May assault took place. It was 9:30 p.m. She washed her car and was at the vacuuming station, standing by the driver's side. The car door was open. Miranda was talking on a cellphone.

A man approached from the passenger side, said James Garnand, who owns the carwash and saw the attack on surveillance video afterward. Miranda told the friend she was talking to on her cellphone that someone had just asked for her change.

Then, according to Garnand, the man charged around the car, grabbed Miranda and threw her into the back seat.

As word spread by telephone that Miranda had been kidnapped from the carwash, her friend Leybi Muñoz, 33, rushed there, arriving at about 11 p.m. Miranda's family was already there. Police were putting up crime-scene tape.

"They took us to the apartments alongside the carwash," Muñoz said. "We waited there until about 4 or 5 in the morning. That's when they told us they had the car with a dead body in it. That's all they said."

Miranda's body was found behind a barbershop about 100 yards away. She had been shot in the head.

The surveillance video showed her vehicle exiting the carwash's parking lot, but it did not give a clear view of the attacker.

Police called it a "blitz attack."

That was nearly four weeks ago. Police and residents alike wait and wonder if he will strike again and where.

Today
Total victims: Six killed; 11 sexually assaulted; 22 robbed.

Wow. It's disturbing to know that some of his first victims were children. I thought they were all adults, but now we know he's sexually depraved. I guess I should have known. And the direct contact he has with the victim, the conversation, the sexual assults, the robberies, the close-range murders - he enjoys watching the fear on their faces.

Thanks Hoping4truth,

I really appreciated that rundown. I was just half asleep with one ear tuned to Rita Cosby on MSNBC. when I heard her say that there was a man on a bicycle in Mesa Az who was shot last Sat, and they think he might be related to the Serial Shooter.

That is all I heard. Maybe more news in the morning.

Scandi

Dark Knight said:
Sent via the AP Newswire late last night:

AP-Phoenix Serial Killers

Phoenix police release more information on serial killers

PHOENIX (AP) - Arizona authorities believe two serial killers
are to blame for randomly attacking at least 41 people since May,
2005 and are to blame for at least eleven deaths.
Police call one suspect the "Baseline Killer" because he
shoots his victims in the head, sometimes using medium- or
large-caliber weapons. That's according to examinations of victims
in five of six shootings attributed to him.
Another suspected serial killer is known as the "Serial
Shooter." Autopsy reports show he uses small-caliber weapons or a
small-gauge shotgun in three of five shootings. The victims linked
to him were wounded in the torso, chest or neck.
Details of the crimes were released by the Maricopa County
Medical Examiner's Office. The killings have prompted a massive
investigation and put community watch groups on high alert.

(Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

With this level of quality info, I am sure they will both be caught soon. (duh)

New murders linked to Baseline Killer:

http://www.azcentral.com/community/swvalley/articles/0728az-serial-killer28-ON.html

Snip from above link:
"Phoenix police Friday said forensic evidence newly examined now links the suspect called the "Baseline Killer'' with the February murder of two women in west Phoenix.

That brings to eight the number of slayings attributed to the Baseline Killer.

On Feb. 20 at about 6 a.m. the bodies of Romelia Vargas, 38, and Mirna Palma-Roman, 24, were found in a snack truck they operated at 91st Avenue and Lower Buckeye Road. Each had been shot to death..."

Police initially suspected that these two ladies were involved with selling drugs on their snack truck. This is just so tragic!

This snack truck was located near a construction site. They were hoping that maybe one of the workers would have noticed something back in February. I'm starting to wonder if the killer is undocumented.

Thanks Hoping, What do you mean by undocumented?

Scandi

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back