AZ - Parker League, 18, body found burning in firepit, Lost Dutchman State Park - Apache Junction, 12 June 2023 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is awful, he had his whole life ahead of him. If it was really over a watch then I am starting to feel society is doomed.
I think his brother is searching for answers, poor guy. He's traumatized, as we all would be at receiving that type of news.

No one seems to know anything about the "friends" he was in town visiting, or at least it's not being discussed.

"Tempe police say League was visiting from Arizona but was from out of state. His last known location is believed to be at a residential home in Tempe, where his belongings were left behind, police said".

The above is oddly worded, what does it mean his belongings were left behind? He just left the house without telling anyone where he was going, and no one saw him again?

6/25/2023 Updated 2 hours ago

[...] The Tempe Police Department says a family member reported League missing June 15.

A public information officer told the Journal Star that League had been visiting Tempe and staying at a home there, where investigators found his belongings left behind.

League’s grandmother, Trish Westphal of Lincoln, said Thursday that any words she has aren’t suitable for print.
“What kind of evil monster does this,” she said.

This is awful, he had his whole life ahead of him. If it was really over a watch then I am starting to feel society is doomed.

For me, that ship already sailed many years ago.

people are killed for less everyday ... society is most definitely doomed

These sorts of horrendous things have happened since the beginning of time. We just hear and see more details now due to social media, the internet in general, and television.

1687839196184.png

Photos from this news site, additional video at link.
347382547_122164064242202_7388108318135622732_n.jpg

1687839249912.png
1687839264111.png

Weird area in a clearing. My guess is that this happened at night, because otherwise the perp is in a wide open and obvious space, but even with nighttime a raging fire in the middle of this flat area would attract attention. This is also apparently in the Tonto National Forest (Lost Dutchman Trails are included). Very strange and here-I-am! way to dispose of a body.

So, I'm a bit confused as I've seen multiple news stories state that Lost Dutchman State Park is within Tonto Natl Park, but I've also seen that they are miles apart from eachother. Would love clarity if someone is aware.

This area seems to bring in a lot of tourists and generates great money for the local economy due to places like Apacheland, and it seems to be quite a point of pride as well. I am deeply sorry for Parker & his friends/family, but also this unsuspecting and innocent community.

The Superstition Mountains, at the westernmost point of all Apache territory, is known to the Apache people as “Tseh’-Hos-keet” (Rocky Outcropping). It is one of the Apache's sacred mountains where their beloved guardians, the 4 Mountain Spirits, dwell. The Indeh’ (translates to 'The People') – what Apaches call themselves – have long protected this holy mountain. It is to be respected and left undisturbed.

So, not only does the person who committed this atrocious act have the blood of an innocent man on his hands, he is also likely cursed by the 4 Mountain Spirits. *shrug* Idk, I don't make the rules. Just seems dumb to even ATTEMPT to deal with something unknown and potentially incredibly dangerous... ?
1687840389675.png
The Legend of the Lost Dutchman
In the 1870s, Jacob Waltz [who is known as] "the Dutchman" (actually a native of Germany), was said to have located the mine through the aid of a Peralta descendant (the Peraltas were a family from northern Mexico who discovered the mine back in 1840s and became extremely rich). Waltz and his partner, Jacob Weiser, worked the mine and allegedly hid one or more caches of gold in the Superstitions. Most stories place the gold in the vicinity of Weaver's Needle, a well known landmark. Weiser was killed by Apaches, or, according to some, by Waltz himself.

In failing health, Jacob Waltz moved to Phoenix and died some twenty years later in 1891. He supposedly described the mine's location to Julia Thomas, a neighbor who took care of him prior to his death. Neither she nor dozens of other seekers in the years that followed were able to find the "Lost Dutchman's Treasure". Subsequent searchers have sometimes met with foul play or even death, contributing to the superstition and legend that surround these mountains.

Lost Dutchman Trails
1687839530498.png

Park Entrance Fee​

Per Vehicle (1-4 Adults): $10.00
Individual/Bicycle: $3.00
I'm wondering if the park fee could be tracked in this scenario. Some parks are so intent on their fees that they are impossible to escape/maneuver around. Some are much more lax where you can easily "sneak" onto the land without paying.

About Lost Dutchman State Park

Not sure if he was staying in Apache Junction or if that's just where he ended up, but it seems like an incredibly interesting place to say the least.

So, I'm a bit confused as I've seen multiple news stories state that Lost Dutchman State Park is within Tonto Natl Park, but I've also seen that they are miles apart from eachother. Would love clarity if someone is aware.

RSBMFS
To my knowledge, there is no Tonto National Park. Tonto is a national forest that covers a significant area and the Superstition Mountains and Lost Dutchman State Park are within the national forest. Living in So Cal, I've hiked all over Arizona. Unfortunately, I've never been to the Superstitions or Lost Dutchman SP (hoping for November!), but my experience has been that it's not terribly difficult to access these parks without paying. Some don't even have a manned official gate to pass through. I am wondering about this particular location. Growing up in MI, my experience was that parks stop manning the gate at a certain evening hour, but no gate closes so that people can get back into the park if they left for the day. This also occurs at major national parks. So if you are willing to wait until sunset, you can get in for free with no one monitoring. As far as cameras posted at these gates, I don't know. But not all entrances have gates or booths. This spot looks like it might not be behind a gate or booth. Anyone here know?

I think his brother is searching for answers, poor guy. He's traumatized, as we all would be at receiving that type of news.

No one seems to know anything about the "friends" he was in town visiting, or at least it's not being discussed.

"Tempe police say League was visiting from Arizona but was from out of state. His last known location is believed to be at a residential home in Tempe, where his belongings were left behind, police said".

The above is oddly worded, what does it mean his belongings were left behind? He just left the house without telling anyone where he was going, and no one saw him again?
To my knowledge, there is no Tonto National Park. Tonto is a national forest that covers a significant area and the Superstition Mountains and Lost Dutchman State Park are within the national forest. Living in So Cal, I've hiked all over Arizona. Unfortunately, I've never been to the Superstitions or Lost Dutchman SP (hoping for November!), but my experience has been that it's not terribly difficult to access these parks without paying. Some don't even have a manned official gate to pass through. I am wondering about this particular location. Growing up in MI, my experience was that parks stop manning the gate at a certain evening hour, but no gate closes so that people can get back into the park if they left for the day. This also occurs at major national parks. So if you are willing to wait until sunset, you can get in for free with no one monitoring. As far as cameras posted at these gates, I don't know. But not all entrances have gates or booths. This spot looks like it might not be behind a gate or booth. Anyone here know?

My one and only hiking experience in Arizona ended with my dog acquiring Valley Fever, he survived but lost his left eye, died at age 20.

No gates for the most part going in and out of National Forest land...your description of how these are inter-related is accurate.

My guess is he was staying at an Air B N B IMOO!!!!

The video at link below has some good shots of the overall area. It also states the bonfire was in the south-east corner of Bulldog Canyon. Not to be confused with Bullfrog Canyon as many of the news stories say.

Authorities have identified the body found inside a bonfire pile in the desert of Tonto National Forest near the Hackamore Gate to Bulldog Canyon area, Maricopa County Sheriff's Office officials said.

What's the thought ??? Stayed at a short-lease place while visiting his friend? Left with his stuff, said goodbye to friends, everyone lost touch for 5 days, friends didn't check in?

Watch was stolen? Was it an expensive watch?

No information about the friend(s) he was staying with. I hope these "friends" didn't lure him somewhere (maybe to Arizona itself) and betray him somehow, this case is starting to give me Shanquella Robinson vibes. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back