GUILTY AZ - Sex abuse probe after patient in vegetative state has baby, Phoenix, 29 Dec 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Forced to learn the family business. Wow what a hardship!!! Not!!!! Seems to me an Orphanage in Haiti would be an epic hardship. Now prison will be a hardship when it's known what he did.

Last edited:
Nathan Sutherland has been released already on bond. And, he has a wife and 4 kids. He's been fired from Hacienda upon his arrest.

A nurse accused of raping an incapacitated woman who later gave birth at an Arizona care facility is being released from jail on bond.

Nathan Sutherland made an initial court appearance Wednesday, hours after his arrest was announced by Phoenix police. He did not enter a plea.

A Maricopa County Superior Court commissioner ordered him released on a cash-only $500,000 bond. Sutherland must also wear an electronic monitoring device.

Burr says Sutherland shared the home with his wife and four children, and she saw the couple leave for church every Sunday.

A licensed practical nurse charged with sexually assaulting an incapacitated woman who gave birth at an Arizona care facility has been fired from his job.

Hacienda HealthCare said in a statement Wednesday that 36-year-old Nathan Sutherland was terminated after police announced his arrest.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...a-linked-nurse-to-baby-of-incapacitated-woman

Establishing parentage by DNA does not take long, and it is essentially 110% accurate. Somehow, Mr. Sutherland managed to avoid giving his DNA until yesterday....and authorities were "forced" to get a court order for him to comply. (Gosh-- ya think he knew he'd be caught or something, right?)

Sutherland, 36, submitted his DNA sample under court order Tuesday and the results came back a few hours later, showing he was a match to the baby. He declined to speak with police and invoked his Fifth Amendment rights, police spokesman Tommy Thompson said.

Nurse arrested in rape of incapacitated woman who gave birth

Just wait for it-- they won't be able to challenge DNA parentage effectively, so look for the defense to claim that the incapacitated patient "consented". That's my speculation.

Hey-- maybe he'll say they were having a consensual love affair. A relationship. The groundwork for that defense was set when the family claimed that she is "responsive" to them, and not in a vegetative state.

AAxY32u.img

Nurse arrested in rape of woman who gave birth at facility

TERRY TANG, Associated Press
2 hrs ago
The surprise birth late last month triggered reviews by state agencies and highlighted safety concerns for patients who are severely disabled or incapacitated and prompted authorities to test the DNA of all the men who worked at the Hacienda HealthCare facility.

Police spokesman Tommy Thompson said Sutherland was charged after his DNA was found to match the baby's.

Sutherland declined to speak with police and invoked his Fifth Amendment rights, Thompson said. A message left at a phone number listed for Sutherland was not immediately returned.

The 29-year-old victim has been in long-term care since the age of 3 and gave birth at the facility on Dec. 29. Employees said they had no idea she was pregnant. As her guardian, the woman's mother was required to submit an annual report to the court that included results of a medical exam.

The case has prompted the departure or discipline of key figures at Hacienda HealthCare, including the CEO. The provider on Sunday announced that one doctor who had cared for the woman resigned and another had been suspended.

Earlier stories had described the patient as being comatose or in a vegetative state. But her parents released a statement on Tuesday disputing that characterizations. They described her instead as intellectually disabled because of seizures in early childhood. While she doesn't speak, she has some mobility in her limbs, head and neck. She also responds to sound and can make facial gestures.

Forced to learn the family business. Wow what a hardship!!! Not!!!! Seems to me an Orphanage in Haiti would be an epic hardship. Now prison will be a hardship when it's known what he did.

Makes me wonder, how often was he having sex with this patient & are there more? He is soooooo sick.

Heard an atty on HLN opining about his “parental” rights. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Just wait for it-- they won't be able to challenge DNA parentage effectively, so look for the defense to claim that the incapacitated patient "consented". That's my speculation.

Hey-- maybe he'll say they were having a consensual love affair. A relationship. The groundwork for that defense was set when the family claimed that she is "responsive" to them, and not in a vegetative state.

That or he'll claim he was masturbating before he proceeded to wash her or change her underwear and some ejaculate must have been on his hands still. I'm sure he won't admit he raped her, and they will have to prove that it was in fact penetration and rape.

Last edited:
Great news.

Also.....this is how long it takes to get a DNA match. Just remembering for future cases.

This is how long it takes when one of the people they've taken DNA from is the actual perpetrator. When it's the forensic genealogy techniques I was mentioning a lot, the answer to how long it takes is pretty much "how long is a piece of string?". It's really good that there was a sample from the offender, and then the offender could be found as well. Part of me thought that whoever it was would be trying to cross the border by now.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back