Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CHILD_CHARGED?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

New judge sought for Ariz. boy charged in killing

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) -- Defense and prosecution lawyers in the case of a 9-year-old Arizona boy charged with killing his father and another man want a new judge appointed so a plea deal doesn't fall through.

Defense attorney Ron Wood said Apache County Superior Court Judge Michael Roca is biased against his client. The prosecutor, Apache County Attorney Michael Whiting, said Monday he supports Wood's request for a new judge.

<<<<<<<<<<<<full article at link>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2009/11/10/20091110stjohnsboy1110.html

Plan to imprison 9-year-old killer prompts outcry

Both sides back ouster of judge, who would reject boy's plea deal

What's to become of a 9-year-old boy who pleaded guilty in connection with a murder?

That question has twisted the Apache County justice system in knots for nearly a year as attorneys, psychiatrists, victims, probation officers, a judge and residents of St. Johns consider the fate of Christian Romero.

What sentence would best serve the interests of justice, the community and the child? The query remains unanswered, compounded by small-town dynamics and financial

..............................snip.......................

filed a motion claiming Roca was swayed by local politics and should be removed from the case for bias.

Finally, prosecutor Michael Whiting joined the defense, arguing that Roca's decision to put the child behind bars was all about money, not justice.

At a hearing this afternoon, a Navajo County judge is expected to hear those arguments and make potentially crucial rulings on the future of the case and the defendant.

<<<<<<<<<<<<more at link>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The judge relies on head shrinks (Major Hasan comes to mind) to determine Christian's future. And they have. Bull**** logic and all. Yet the judge won't make a decision. Replace him.

Young Romero is going to prison. The only questions are which one, and why?

Young Romero is going to prison. The only questions are which one, and why?

Uhhhh no. What are your reasons for saying that? and WHY would be an excellent question too if for some reason this did happen.

A defense request to have another judge hear the case of a 9-year-old Arizona boy who killed his father's roommate will be considered Wednesday afternoon. (today)

Whiting said attorneys may have found an option for treatment at one of two inpatient treatment facilities in Maricopa County. He said this week that attorneys are scheduled to tour the facilities next month.

http://www.kpho.com/news/21651131/detail.html

A defense request to have another judge hear the case of a 9-year-old Arizona boy who killed his father's roommate will be considered Wednesday afternoon. (today)

Whiting said attorneys may have found an option for treatment at one of two inpatient treatment facilities in Maricopa County. He said this week that attorneys are scheduled to tour the facilities next month.

http://www.kpho.com/news/21651131/detail.html

Just as I predicted...the kid is going to be sent to residential treatment facility.
He won't remain living with mom. Let's hope she uses his time away to get herself together and on her own feet.

Just as I predicted...the kid is going to be sent to residential treatment facility.
He won't remain living with mom. Let's hope she uses his time away to get herself together and on her own feet.

They are going to 'tour' possible sights next month. This is not definate outcome as of yet.
Just as I predicted, your jaded opinion of the boy is throwing your predictions out of whack. The meeting was to decide if the judge needs to be replaced, not where or what to do with the boy.

They are going to 'tour' possible sights next month. This is not definate outcome as of yet.
Just as I predicted, your jaded opinion of the boy is throwing your predictions out of whack. The meeting was to decide if the judge needs to be replaced, not where or what to do with the boy.

Your inabity to read
between the lines is alittle scary. They're touring these sites as an alternitive to the judges plan. Both attorneys are going.... Must mean they recognize his need to intensive residential treatment. They're not thumbing thru the yellow pages looking for outpatient therapy.

and here ya go:

New Judge will sentance the boy

and

"Two psychiatrists who evaluated the boy recommended an out-of-state facility for treatment. Roca had said that money wasn't an issue but he was unsure if he could lawfully require the boy's mother to leave the state. The judge had suggested ordering the boy to be committed to the Arizona Department of Juvenile Corrections.
Whiting said that issue may be moot now that he and Wood are considering two inpatient treatment facilities in Maricopa County that appear to meet the psychiatrists' requirements. The attorneys are scheduled to tour the facilities, where costs range from $100-$250 a day, within the next couple of weeks"

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CHILD_CHARGED?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Okay, so the boy has been living with his mother in a type of "house arrest" set up, to describe it as part of the "plea deal".

"In February, Whiting worked out what appeared to be an acceptable plea deal with the boy's attorney. According to the agreement, the boy admitted to negligent homicide in the slaying of Romans, and charges involving his father's death were dropped. As part of the plea agreement, the boy accepted intensive probation, community treatment and possible juvenile detention &#8212; but not state incarceration.
There was no trial, only a guilty plea the judge accepted. Though the boy accepted probation, a sentence was not set, pending psychiatric evaluation. Since then, he has been in legal limbo while Apache County struggles with where to put him and how to pay for his placement."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-11-11-nineyearoldkiller_N.htm

Why did this case never make it to trial??
Even in a plea deal, i would think competency would have to be determined before a sentence. Since he is so young, and if he is truly a danger, then he should have been placed in a residential youth psychiatric hospital, not on house arrest with his mother.
Something seems fishy.
Their are children as young as he is in psychiatric hospitals inpatient in other states, who haven't even commited murders.
Potentially some of the inpatient psychiatric hospitals for youths can be worse or just as bad as juvenile detention centers.
I know someone who works for a "children's psychiatric center" and Juvenile Hall actually sends their "bad cases" to them until they "get better", and then they get send back again, repeat the process.. so you can imagine..

I don't think that him living with his mother, pretty much isolated from the world due to the house arrest type set up is very healthy. It seems the town does not want to be responsible to pay for his inpatient psychiatric care as well.

This case is a mess, and i am still on the fence with it.

I wish it went to trial, with an unbias jury and hard evidence..

It should have been thrown out the way he was interrogated in the beginning.

Okay, so the boy has been living with his mother in a type of "house arrest" set up, to describe it as part of the "plea deal".

"In February, Whiting worked out what appeared to be an acceptable plea deal with the boy's attorney. According to the agreement, the boy admitted to negligent homicide in the slaying of Romans, and charges involving his father's death were dropped. As part of the plea agreement, the boy accepted intensive probation, community treatment and possible juvenile detention — but not state incarceration.
There was no trial, only a guilty plea the judge accepted. Though the boy accepted probation, a sentence was not set, pending psychiatric evaluation. Since then, he has been in legal limbo while Apache County struggles with where to put him and how to pay for his placement."
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-11-11-nineyearoldkiller_N.htm

Why did this case never make it to trial??
Even in a plea deal, i would think competency would have to be determined before a sentence. Since he is so young, and if he is truly a danger, then he should have been placed in a residential youth psychiatric hospital, not on house arrest with his mother.
Something seems fishy.
Their are children as young as he is in psychiatric hospitals inpatient in other states, who haven't even commited murders.
Potentially some of the inpatient psychiatric hospitals for youths can be worse or just as bad as juvenile detention centers.
I know someone who works for a "children's psychiatric center" and Juvenile Hall actually sends their "bad cases" to them until they "get better", and then they get send back again, repeat the process.. so you can imagine..

I don't think that him living with his mother, pretty much isolated from the world due to the house arrest type set up is very healthy. It seems the town does not want to be responsible to pay for his inpatient psychiatric care as well.

This case is a mess, and i am still on the fence with it.

I wish it went to trial, with an unbias jury and hard evidence..

It should have been thrown out the way he was interrogated in the beginning.

He couldn't be placed by the state without psychological evaluations.
He was with his mother because there is no other place to put him prior to sentencing. They felt he didn't belong in juvenile detention, a therapeutic foster home wouldn't take him and his mother still has parental rights and wouldn't agree anyway. IMO

IMO The cost of the recommended out of state placement ...I would bet was SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive then the places the lawyers are looking at. .

The judge relies on head shrinks (Major Hasan comes to mind) to determine Christian's future. And they have. Bull**** logic and all. Yet the judge won't make a decision. Replace him.

BBM

Do you think they didn't use standardized tests? Do you honestly think they're both wrong?

Your inabity to read
between the lines is alittle scary. They're touring these sites as an alternitive to the judges plan. Both attorneys are going.... Must mean they recognize his need to intensive residential treatment. They're not thumbing thru the yellow pages looking for outpatient therapy.

Your inability to have an open mind in this case is shocking. Right, they are 'looking' at alternatives to the judge's plan (WHO IS BEING REMOVED FROM THE CASE). So as of yet, NOTHING has been agreed upon and the NEW
judge will have to make some decisions before ANYTHING can happen. Of course he needs intensive therapy, whether inpatient (residential) or outpatient (which he has been doing) makes no difference to me, just so he and his mother are pleased with the deal.
'not thumbing thru the yellow pages'... wow, a comedian and a webpsychiatrist.

This entire case has been one big mess from the start. In the mean time the boy is still left in limbo... how sad for all involved.

IMO The cost of the recommended out of state placement ...I would bet was SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive then the places the lawyers are looking at. .

Really, ya think :clap: .

Your inability to have an open mind in this case is shocking. Right, they are 'looking' at alternatives to the judge's plan (WHO IS BEING REMOVED FROM THE CASE). So as of yet, NOTHING has been agreed upon and the NEW
judge will have to make some decisions before ANYTHING can happen. Of course he needs intensive therapy, whether inpatient (residential) or outpatient (which he has been doing) makes no difference to me, just so he and his mother are pleased with the deal.
'not thumbing thru the yellow pages'... wow, a comedian and a web psychiatrist.

This entire case has been one big mess from the start. In the mean time the boy is still left in limbo... how sad for all involved.

Really? Makes no difference to you? Seriously? Why the change of tune?

I've said all along the kid needs intensive residential treatment, all along you've argued and said the kid wasn't a danger and would/should stay with his mother.

The kid's clearly and obviously severely disturbed and a danger. Do you think both shrinks would recommend RTC in another state because he isn't a danger? No, the level of this child's need is great and they felt his needs would be best met by a specialized treatment program, one of the best, out of state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop