Babcock Murder Trial - Weekend Discussion #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so hard to speculate what either defence is thinking, strategy wise, but I'm also of the opinion that DM will be calling witnesses. I don't think he possesses the rational or realistic ability to understand that he's toast. He just won't be able to resist it, either.

I have a question to add: Does anyone know, if neither defence wish to call witnesses, will they go right into closing arguments? Or will the judge give them a cushiony few days to yet again, prepare. Thoughts?
They got a whole week to prepare for closing arguments in the TB trial. If they're already ahead of schedule, I can't see them rushing it this time either.

Thank you :)
That article explains what SS was teaching DM about popping the hood.

...maybe DM just couldn't figure it out? (Lol)

SS was such a wealth of information for DM... What an advantage he had in his trusty ol' mechanic. Everyone has a purpose in DM's world, until they no longer serve him.

As far as a premeditated and shared plan for killing Laura, Absolutely.
We can agree, DM is not that great of a planner. DM expected to the homemade incinerator to work. He had to be patient for the right time to get LB out of their lives.

DM had his back to the wall, WM pressuring the start up of the new hangar, which is clear DM had no interest in. Wanted to do the Baja race again. Cash getting low. MS constantly begging for cash/job/(musical career. j/k) CN on his case (obvious reasons) DM was being pulled in every direction. Needed to make changes.
Lets not forget, had it not been for DM's egocentricity acquiring a truck, DM was on, no ones radar for any deaths.
The spoiled brat, got away with LB's murder, and yet to be proven, WM's murder.

Actually, I believe that kind of truck is impossible to steal without the key. And to tow his vehicle to Baja, he needed that kind of truck.

Well, if you're bound to steal a truck in person, it's best to do it in disguise.

So outside of crazy scenarios

Do people think DM will call any witnesses for his defense?

I highly suspect he will. Just don't think he can resist and expect it go on much longer than we saw at the TB case since DM will get into the every piece of minutia of the case. Wouldn't shock me if he calls himself as well even though it would be a terrible decision.

Does anyone think he won't call any witnesses or evidence?

I think he’s definitely going to try to tear down the Crown’s purported motive through testimony and evidence, whether his own or somebody else’s.

Agreed! Thrill seekers moving on to the next level of ruthless thrills. MOO

From Bill's timeline

Mar 8 3:44 pm Smich texts Millard: "Did you ever hear the expression 'don't trust anybody'????"
Mar 8 3:44 pm Smich texts Millard: "They took out the last part of the sentence: 'Except for me'!!!"
Mar 8 3:44 pm Smich texts Millard: "Lol."
Mar 8 3:46 pm Millard texts Smich: "Yes, they took that part out."
Mar 8 3:47 pm Smich texts Millard: ":)"
Mar 8 3:47 pm Smich texts Millard: "I love you my ."
Mar 8 3:47 pm Millard texts Smich: "Much love cracker."
Mar 8 5:14 pm Millard texts Smich: "How ruthless are you willing to be to make $$?"
Mar 8 5:16 pm Millard texts Smich: "I have some ideas, but it's next level stuff. We'll talk about this weekend. I know you need income."
Mar 8 5:21 pm Smich texts Millard: "I gotta do something. Or else I'm screwed."

I agree, these 2 texts are very important. It clearly shows the initiative came from DM, and the motive was to make money.

I've seen some discussion about LB having a lot of money on her. And yet she left a lot of cash at her parents. Is there actually any evidence that she arrived at DM's with a lot of cash? Her pattern had been to exchange sex for what he bought her, rather than pay him.

I think he’s definitely going to try to tear down the Crown’s purported motive through testimony and evidence, whether his own or somebody else’s.

I think his strategy is to show what a charming, accomplished, rich and generous guy he is and so probably must have been set up by his duplicitous and ungrateful friends, and he will call his mother to testify to it.

There's also the curious evidence about the homemade incinerator and how it ended up damaged and in pieces. Schlatman testified that the last time he saw it, it was intact. So what happened to it?

They removed the damaged homemade incinerator as evidence. Has the photo of it damaged ever been released to the public?

I would like to know more about the damage. Part of it was rusty, and that occurs easily after a burn or two, once all the paint is burnt off. IIRC, they mentioned a bright blue plastic part, and that the unit fit together easily, and was over 8 feet in height. Was it damaged or modified?

Thank you :)
That article explains what SS was teaching DM about popping the hood.

...maybe DM just couldn't figure it out? (Lol)

I think there was a lot revealed through the MS testimony about how their various approaches failed. They couldn’t figure out the technical aspects of vehicle theft on modern vehicles designed to thwart just that. I have wondered if deliberate murder and incineration was actually a mid-course plan when they were staking out trucks at various homes with the intent of quietly overcoming the owner and having both disappear to confuse and delay the investigation. But that didn’t work out either, so on to a sitation where an owner is going to literally hand you his keys with a grin. But that requires communication, and at least some daylight, and a face to face meeting under unknown circumstances, like having two witnesses at the Bosmas, so a further amendment to the plan likely was made.

I actually don't think money was her big motivation although it probably didn't hurt. She liked the bad boy aspect, felt warm and loved when he said he would take care of Laura.

Do you really think she felt? I interpreted that as text exchange as manipulation.

I agree, these 2 texts are very important. It clearly shows the initiative came from DM, and the motive was to make money.

I've seen some discussion about LB having a lot of money on her. And yet she left a lot of cash at her parents. Is there actually any evidence that she arrived at DM's with a lot of cash? Her pattern had been to exchange sex for what he bought her, rather than pay him.

I think with the figures of what it’s believed she had, less what she left at home, she may have had about 1,000 dollars with her.

Why didn't he just get rid of CN?

She was the approving audience for the sick show of his superior capability’s he was preparing to put on. That gave her a very important place in his life. It was not enough for DM to quietly commit these crimes he needed people to know. Anything less would have been an empty experience for him. I think MS filled a similar role and DM took him as a second choice sidekick only because he couldn’t wait for slow AM to progress up to his next level ambitions. If this had gone on and AM came on board I believe MS’s usefulness would been expired.

Don’t you dare forget He was heaven sent

There's also the curious evidence about the homemade incinerator and how it ended up damaged and in pieces. Schlatman testified that the last time he saw it, it was intact. So what happened to it?

Does anyone know if these pictures of the rusty damaged incinerator are available anywhere?

One aspect of DM's ruthlessness and motivation that hasn't been mentioned is his alleged plan to murder his father. I would assume that's not an idea that comes along out of the blue, from a moment of frustration, but probably simmers (or festers) for a long time. I assume it was in his mind during all this period, but of course, it can't be used as evidence in this case.

One aspect of DM's ruthlessness and motivation that hasn't been mentioned is his alleged plan to murder his father. I would assume that's not an idea that comes along out of the blue, from a moment of frustration, but probably simmers (or festers) for a long time. I assume it was in his mind during all this period, but of course, it can't be used as evidence in this case.

I'm really looking forward to the next trial. I don't think there's any way around the fact that WM's death was a calculated, planned and deliberate murder. I can only hope there's enough evidence to prove so.

I'm curious to know how you can shoot someone in the eye and have it look like a suicide. It's not like WM wouldn't see that coming...
Did we ever hear where his body was found? If in bed ok maybe he was sleeping, but for some reason I am under the impression he was found in his study/office. I don't know why I think that though.

I'm curious to know how you can shoot someone in the eye and have it look like a suicide. It's not like WM wouldn't see that coming...
Did we ever hear where his body was found? If in bed ok maybe he was sleeping, but for some reason I am under the impression he was found in his study/office. I don't know why I think that though.

I have the impression there was a lot of alcohol abuse, MB saying “he was slowly poisoning his brain” being one example of evidence for that. He could have been incapacitated by that anywhere.

And yeah, I don’t know what we know, but I have the idea he was sitting on a couch. That study/office in the middle of the house would make a lot of sense. It seemed to me to be the room that would normally be the living room for most families.

I'm really looking forward to the next trial. I don't think there's any way around the fact that WM's death was a calculated, planned and deliberate murder. I can only hope there's enough evidence to prove so.

The selfie Iisho posted hints he knew, and quite possibly MS knew. So how to get one or both of those two to testify against DM?

Just brought it up because it may explain a lot about what DM was doing and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member