Bahamas - Taylor Casey, 41, Chicago, last seen in at yoga retreat, Paradise Island, Nassau, 19 Jun 2024

I visit the Sivananda Yoga Center annually on trips with my family to the Atlantis Resort, steps away from the ashram. They should be investigating the nearby metropolis of a hotel, since there is nothing else nearby.
Aside from the beach access from The Atlantis, the ashram is peaceful and secluded, only accessible by a water taxi scheduled by the ashrams yogis. They can check the log of who comes and goes.
The ocean is calm on this enclave, so it seems odd that she’d be lost at sea. Is she a swimmer?
Was she residing in one of the bungalows, or the tented areas that many yogis stay in during the monthlong training?
Praying for the safe return of this woman, her family, and all those at the ashram.
Pictured below- the two ways to access Sivananda.

JUN 25, 2024
A State Department spokesperson told ABC News that they are aware of reports of a U.S. citizen missing in the Bahamas.

"When a U.S. citizen is missing, we work closely with local authorities as they carry out their search efforts, and we share information with families however we can," the spokesperson said. "The Department of State has no higher priority than the welfare and safety of U.S. citizens abroad. We stand ready to provide assistance to U.S. citizens in need and to their families."

The spokesperson said the State Department had no further comment due to privacy concerns.

Casey had gone to the resort to “deepen” her knowledge about yoga, her family said in a statement. Earlier this year Sivananda Ashram was featured as one of the best retreats on the east coast and described as “otherworldly” on Goop, Gwyneth Paltrow’s lifestyle website

"The Ashram is asking anyone with information on Casey to contact the local police," the Sivananda Ashram Yoga Retreat Bahamas said in a statement to ABC News on Tuesday. "In the interim, it is collaborating with the authorities on their investigation."

Casey is described as a light-skinned Black woman, about 5 feet 10 inches tall and weighing around 145 pounds. She has brown hair and brown eyes, and her natural hair is often covered by a durag, according to her family.

This is the yoga retreat in the Bahamas where Taylor Casey went missing from. Guests say they haven't been told about a missing person and there are not posters at the resort. Royal Bahamas Police is investigating the Chicago woman's disappearance.

From the video:

Brian says there are really no roads in the area of the retreat so the only way they could find to get there was to walk down the beach. It is very close to the Atlantis Resort, which is a big tourist destination.

Brian speaks to a woman on the beach who says she hasn't seen anyone searching. There are no flyers anywhere. A lot of the guests at the retreat have just checked in the past week so they weren't aware a woman went missing there. Brian says he saw a couple missing person posters for other people but not for Taylor.

Taylor's family is now there.

Last edited:
I wonder if attendees to the conference are offered any optional excursions. Sometimes retreats like this have a partial day or evening to experience local culture - sightseeing, deep sea fishing, the main shopping district, etc... Somehow she departed the safety of the Sivananda Yoga Center.

This New York Post article has a picture that better shows her height and build. I'd say probably 5'10 or taller, slender build. Chicago woman Taylor Casey vanishes in Bahamas while attending yoga retreat

The fact that the phone was found in water concerns me.

sometimes pings or "find my friends" can be a bit off, i've seen phones that say they are in a body of water when they actually aren't, the person was just in the proximity. but, i agree it's still concerning

Family members will travel to The Bahamas on Tuesday to aid in the search effort. Casey is pictured with Chicago mayor Brandon Johnson

*Casey is pictured with Chicago mayor Brandon Johnson

Casey's mother Colette Seymore told CBS News she received a concerning call from the resort last week asking if she had heard from Casey.

She said she last heard from her daughter last week, when Casey sent her pictures in the Atlantic ocean.

She was traveling alone and arrived on the islands on June 3.

'The reason why the State Department issued that advisory is because of increased gang crimes in The Bahamas. As there are an increased crime situations with gangs in places like Mexico or Jamaica. That does not necessarily mean you can't go there.'

'Where trouble happens for any American traveler is when they, let's say, they go out at night with friends or by themselves in a neighborhood that they don't know, or they don't understand or that's unfamiliar to them and they're not traveling in a group.'

'That's when they can get into some trouble,' Greenberg added.

A specific warning for US tourists included taking tours on boats as they're 'not consistently regulated

Family members will travel to The Bahamas on Tuesday to aid in the search effort. Casey is pictured with Chicago mayor Brandon Johnson

Casey's mother Colette Seymore told CBS News she received a concerning call from the resort last week asking if she had heard from Casey.

She said she last heard from her daughter last week, when Casey sent her pictures in the Atlantic ocean.

'The reason why the State Department issued that advisory is because of increased gang crimes in The Bahamas. As there are an increased crime situations with gangs in places like Mexico or Jamaica. That does not necessarily mean you can't go there.'

'Where trouble happens for any American traveler is when they, let's say, they go out at night with friends or by themselves in a neighborhood that they don't know, or they don't understand or that's unfamiliar to them and they're not traveling in a group.'

A specific warning for US tourists included taking tours on boats as they're 'not consistently regulated

BBM (& snipped from above)...
...A specific warning for US tourists included taking tours on boats as they're 'not consistently regulated

There is a picture of Taylor on a boat at your link!!! Is it from this trip????

She has such a thoughtful and serious look about her. I don't know her personally, of course, but I can't picture her doing something foolish or reckless.

I hope for some good leads soon.

jmo

Is there any report, other than articles quoting her mother, that document her phone being in water? or being found?

Modern phones can survive a fall into water, but being submerged in water will block out the cell signal. Finding a phone on the bottom of the ocean would likely require an extensive diving search and a very specific location to search. If the localization of the phone is accurate, I would suspect she was on a boat.

Cell phone records could be very helpful as far as pinning down a time for loss of signal and general location.

I get the feeling that the resort and LE in Nassau are sharing very little information with her family. Somebody somewhere should have seen something, or at least seen her leaving the resort.

"You know, a mother's intuition and answers I was getting just didn't correlate, just wasn't what I wanted to hear," Seymore told ABC News. "A young lady called me and said, 'have you heard from Taylor?' And I'm like, I'm looking at the phone because I know she was from the yoga retreat … and then she said 'Taylor hasn't showed up for yoga classes.'"

"I heard from Taylor Tuesday, that was the last time Taylor had sent me pictures of Taylor in the Atlantic ocean, saying, 'I miss you, mom. I miss you. Look, I'm at the beach.'"

Seymour and Williams are demanding answers, saying there are many unknowns — including how Casey's phone was found at the bottom of the ocean.

"We need to know where Taylor is," Williams said. "We need to know what happened and we need the full story."

How did the resort get her families number? And why would they call her family after not seeing her for only one day? She’s an adult. For all they knew she could have went sight seeing or something
My understanding is she did not show in the morning for class. She was attending training and was seen the evening before. Likely next of kin was part of the registration package.

Snipped...
...Casey’s cell phone was found on a beach on Paradise Island. Police Press Liaison Officer, Chief Superintendent gave an update on the investigation on Tuesday. “We’ve done some extremely good work and our investigations are still ongoing at this time. But I do make an appeal to members of the public as it relates to all persons who may be missing, I’m asking you to make your contribution. If you’ve seen or you’ve heard something reach out to us.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
80schick
Back