GUILTY Bali - Bali Nine, Australians arrested for heroin trafficking, 2005

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For shame, for shame on these barbaric animals determined to carry the executions out.

I woke up not wanting to look for this thread. What possibly is to be gained by this? Is this still about deterence or is it political at this point? I feel like I am missing some vital piece of a complicated puzzle.

Well, it looks as though they have been given their 72 hours notice of the executions. :cry:

Earliest that they will happen is Tuesday. It all depends on how the Supreme Court decision on Indonesian marijuana trafficker Zainal Abidin goes on Monday.

The French man has won a reprieve, he has an appeal pending.

But all felons have been transferred to isolation cells in the high security Besi prison on Nusakambangan ahead of the executions.

I just can't believe this is going to happen. In 2015. WTH. :( :( :(

http://www.smh.com.au/world/bali-nine-pair-given-72-hours-notice-of-deaths-20150425-1mt4eo.html

This is so awful. How devastating. And so so wrong.

I have no idea what point they are trying to make to kill two rehabilitated men.

Preparations are clearly underway for the executions, with a truck arriving at the port of Cilacap yesterday morning loaded with chairs and tents which were ferried the short distance across the strait to Nusakambangan.

The driver said he had been told to deliver the cargo to a field near the island’s police post, behind which the firing range is located.

Justice Lex Lasry, who has visited the pair in Kerobokan prison, vented his anger on Twitter.

25pgsup.png

http://www.news.com.au/national/bal...execution-notice/story-fncynjr2-1227320767956

I really can't find words for how I'm feeling about this, but I like this tweet from Justice Lex Lasry.

Spontana "The theme of the executions will be the war on drugs". Wrong. The theme of the executions will be injustice and lack of humanity.

I woke up not wanting to look for this thread. What possibly is to be gained by this? Is this still about deterence or is it political at this point? I feel like I am missing some vital piece of a complicated puzzle.

It appears it could be about internal politics, gracehatter. Widodo is struggling in his relatively new leadership, and apparently needs to increase his popularity and solidarity within Indonesia. He is not caring at all about international image right now. This article gives some insight into his issues, and why international concerns are not his concerns at the moment.

“The Jokowi administration is really struggling”
“He has had a terrible first six months. He campaigned on anti-corruption and said he would appoint people to cabinet on skills. But his cabinet has been a disappointing mix of party hacks appointed to reflect his coalition.
“Members of Widodo’s own anti-corruption commission have been stood down for corruption”
“There is anxiety among Indonesian civil society that the President seems to be unable and unwilling to stand up and reform corruption.”

“So he is a President who is under siege, who is undergoing great political difficulty. He is very vulnerable. His administration is seen as disappointing at best, and he still doesn’t have a working majority. He can’t put his agenda though unless he can regularly get up legislation.”
Widodo needs friends in Indonesian politics right now, not in Australia. “To back down to Australia would play badly and not help him build alliances.”

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/j...o-grant-clemency/story-fnh81fz8-1227259618024

Ohhhhh ... what a helpless, hopeless feeling this brings. It seems that there is just nothing more that we can do to help our countrymen. Tony Abbott has been p***weak as usual in this whole affair. What the heck is their ambassador still doing in our country?? What is ours still doing in their country??

It will be the absolute saddest week.

I will never knowingly spend a dollar to support their economy ... I will never go to Indonesia. They are on their own, as far as I'm concerned. State sanctioned murderers!

Evangelist preacher Matius Arif Mirdjaja, a former drug addict and prisoner in Bali's Kerobokan jail who was baptised by Chan, said Indonesia would be remembered as a nation that killed a pastor and an artist, not drug kingpins.

"History will write that we are a nation that killed all the repented, a nation that loses empathy and compassion for people who have transformed their lives and helped others," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/bali-pair-told-the-date-of-their-execution-20150426-1mt4eo.html

Remember Kevin Barlow & Geoffrey Chambers? 1986.

Terrified mother prepared deadly cocktail for incarcerated son - but could not bring herself to give it to him.
Before Barbara Barlow saw her son Kevin for the last time she prepared him a gift – a cocktail of 75 sleeping pills dissolved in gin, whisky and brandy that she poured into a water bottle.

At the last minute, sitting with her son in Kuala Lumpur's Pudu Prison on a Saturday morning in July 1986, she held back. She kept the bottle in her handbag, terrified that if she gave it to him and he drank the concoction he might die before all avenues of appeal against his death sentence had been exhausted.
But there were to be no more chances for Perth man Kevin Barlow, condemned to death for drug trafficking. As a Herald story published on July 8, 1986, reported, within days of Mrs Barlow's visit, her son and his accomplice, Brian Geoffrey Chambers, had been dropped from the gallows in "pre-dawn gloom" with "the wailing chant of the Islamic call to prayer in their ears".
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/terrified...erself-to-give-it-to-him-20150119-12sosw.html

Four Australians have been executed abroad in the past 30 years, and two more are currently on death row, both for drug trafficking offences.

RECENT OVERSEAS EXECUTIONS OF AUSTRALIANS
Van Tuong Nguyen - Hanged on December 2, 2005 for heroin trafficking (Singapore)
Michael McAuliffe - Hanged on June 19, 1993 for heroin trafficking (Malaysia)
Kevin Barlow - Hanged on July 7, 1986 for heroin trafficking (Malaysia)
Brian Chambers - Hanged on July 7, 1986 for heroin trafficking (Malaysia)

AUSTRALIANS ON DEATH ROW
Andrew Chan - Convicted and sentenced to death (Indonesia)
Myuran Sukumaran - Convicted and sentenced to death (Indonesia)

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2013/07/23/glance-australians-executed-abroad

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck
Back