GUILTY Bali - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, found dead in suitcase, 12 Aug 2014 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess HM and TS just aren't news anymore in Chicago. :dunno:

Or Favia came up with another excuse for a continuance. Maybe Kerobokan wifi was down. ;)

Well....7/28 has come and gone. The court records have been updated with a couple notes (exihibits and motions filed by WW), but no new date is listed (yet).

Well....7/28 has come and gone. The court records have been updated with a couple notes (exihibits and motions filed by WW), but no new date is listed (yet).

Hmmm....interesting. Those exhibits and motions were filed the day before this hearing was supposed to take place. I wonder what they were about? :waitasec:

Odd. I half-expected something last-minute from Favia, some kind of request for a delay. I don't know what WW could be filing at the last minute.

Looking through the last entries it appears that all parties agreed to reschedule the July 28th hearing for August 28th and then it was reset again for August 22nd. I guess no one is in a real hurry to finish this up. HM can continue to put this off just by claiming she can't testify because the authorities in Bali won't let her use a phone. :rolleyes:

MOO

I don't know what the law is, but I can't see how it matters if HM refuses to testify until she's faced US authorities (years from now) and everything just sits. Arrangements are clearly in place to continue sending trust money for Stella's care and even Cohen isn't likely to sign off on any more money for HM.

They could just all go home and set the next calendar date for the day after HM arrives in the US.

I wonder if TS or HM received another reduction in their sentences this year for the August 17th Independence Day celebrations? :waitasec:

I wonder if TS or HM received another reduction in their sentences this year for the August 17th Independence Day celebrations? :waitasec:

I forgot about that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And here's our answer...

American woman Heather Mack, serving a 10-year sentence for the gruesome murder of her mother in a five-star resort in Bali, dubbed the suitcase murder, took part in the ceremony, dressed in traditional Balinese attire and singing enthusiastically during Independence Day songs. She was granted a four-month sentence cut, along with her former boyfriend and co-accused Tommy Schaefer.

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/b...e/news-story/b9dfc29b7a4c426e62b281cfd2dd9936

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/12b7ccf93ddfaf491e2c7f9be5b17a5d

So we've just passed the third anniversary of the murder and HM has already "earned" sentence reductions of over a year...14 months to be exact. That would put her current release date around the middle of July 2023. With two opportunities each year for sentence reductions, one at Christmas and one on Independence Day, she may only end up serving just over half of her time. Not sure where TS stands and whether he's been getting the same reductions all along.

Renae Lawrence of the Bali Nine was sentenced to 20 years. She's expected to be released next year after having served 13 years.

MOO

Sounds like HM has really bonded with the new women's prison administrator. Unfortunately, it's not entirely unexpected. When she was still actively posting on IG, she told people she thought she'd be home in five years. It looks like she might have been pretty close, once all the remissions are factored in.

Let's hope that the feds are waiting when she arrives back in the US. I wonder if she saw the huge fuss the Indonesians made over Schappelle Corby's release and extradition.

It appears that Shaun Davidson has admitted in a "facebook interview" that he "broke out" (still think they all bribed themselves out) of Kerobokan 10 weeks shy of his sentence completion because he did not want to be deported and face his charges back home. If he is able to stay on the run for any length of time, and is still on the run when HM and/or TS's sentences are close to being finished you do have to wonder if either or both of them will try the same stunt.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ba...w/news-story/14a7974d2b0cde03b71c802d8c330b07

The "interview" is absurd. It appears that this guy thinks LE from both countries should just leave him alone and let him live his life now. SMH :notgood:

Paywall for the story. I'm not sure TS will have additional charges since he was found guilty of murdering SWM. HM is the one who is worrying about conspiracy charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How tourists are getting inside Bali’s Kerobokan prison

VOLUNTOURISM is one of the fastest growing trends in travel today. From building schools in Africa, to teaching English in Indian slums an estimated 1.6 million people go on holidays every year looking for meaning.

In Bali, the trend has taken a bizarre new twist with tourists literally lining up to spend time inside the resort island’s most notorious place: Kerobokan prison.
Colloquially known as Hotel K, it’s where 1,378 prisoners, including 83 foreigners, are crammed into a correctional facility designed for 300 people.

And as it turns out, getting in is not overly difficult.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...n/news-story/0b3fee19bed8f9d7714170f13f1b821d

Just in case anyone is planning a trip to Bali. :giggle:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-bali-heather-mack-update-met-20170825-story.html

The case was last before Cohen on Tuesday, but a hearing on whether Mack can refuse to testify by invoking her Fifth Amendment right not to testify against herself was pushed back to Sept. 29.

Mack's attorney Vanessa Favia said her client will not testify in "any civil or criminal proceeding in the U.S." given the federal probe and threat of self-incrimination.

"Her refusal to testify does not mean that she admits to any wrongdoing," Favia told the Tribune. "It simply means that she wishes to invoke her rights at this time considering there is an ongoing federal investigation. Judge Cohen is going to hold a hearing to decide whether it's reasonable for her to invoke the Fifth Amendment, as you can only invoke it if you face a real threat of criminal prosecution, and in my legal opinion it's clearly reasonable and absolutely necessary."

I hope this doesn't mean that if HM refuses to testify, Cohen will deny WW's petition and HM will get access to the trust again.

Also:
But, citing an ongoing U.S. grand jury criminal investigation and the advice of her federal public defender, Mack for months has steadfastly declined to answer questions raised in the civil matter concerning the $1.56 million estate. Her testimony is likely required in response to a lengthy petition filed by her uncle, the estate trustee, who wants to thwart his niece from profiting from the grisly crime.

(bolding mine)

She's got both Flavia and a federal public defender working for her? That better be bad reporting, because I don't believe you qualify for a public defender until you've been arrested.

Well that's good. Let her continue to refuse to answer the petition by her uncle and continue to have no access to the funds. The end result is pretty much the same anyway.

And I'm also curious about this "federal public defender" nonsense. How many free attorneys has she had? Did Favia seek this advice on her behalf? As ajaylee has indicated, how do you get an appointed federal public defender when there has been no arrest and no charges have been filed against you? Perhaps bad reporting and they meant a public defender's advice, not her public defender.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members