Baltimore, MD - Container Ship Strikes Francis Scott Key Bridge - Mass Casualty Situation

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
NEW: Attorneys representing those with claims against Grace Ocean Private Ltd. (owner of the DALI) have requested an emergency hearing. They're asking the judge to keep DALI crew members in the U.S. Certain crew members could leave the country as soon as this Thursday.
@WMAR2News

Get their depositions and video testimony and let them go. They have rights and are not here illegally, there is no legal grounds to hold them. To hold them against their will when the DOJ investigators have cleared them is akin to putting them in ICE Detention.

2 Cents

Last edited by a moderator:
In a statement, the Maryland Transport Authority (MDTA) said that “out of an abundance of caution,” it would be holding traffic on the Bay Bridge on Monday between 11 a.m. and noon as the marine vessel Dali passes beneath.

In a statement, the Maryland Transport Authority (MDTA) said that “out of an abundance of caution,” it would be holding traffic on the Bay Bridge on Monday between 11 a.m. and noon as the marine vessel Dali passes beneath.

glad to see they can finally go home

Get their depositions and video testimony and let them go. They have rights and are not here illegally, there is no legal grounds to hold them. To hold them against their will when the DOJ investigators have cleared them is akin to putting them in ICE Detention.

2 Cents

From what I read, the first time the engine crashed was when one of the crew mistakenly put something into the exhaust pipe. The workers are legal and have right no doubt. Question is: do they have the education or the judgment that would match the job they were hired to do? (These big shipping companies have oil tankers, too, and are responsible for safety, not to say, ecology. So whom they hire is important. This is not the first accident. Don’t get me started on the Mexican Gulf disaster.) If the people manning Dali do not have the qualifications for the job, this needs to be proven before they leave. I am thinking, there are probably exams one had to take to perform this job, and it is not illegal to administer them to test the knowledge of the Dali crew. Although if they blocked the exhaust pipe, it is the issue of minimal judgement before knowledge is even questioned.

From what I read, the first time the engine crashed was when one of the crew mistakenly put something into the exhaust pipe. The workers are legal and have right no doubt. Question is: do they have the education or the judgment that would match the job they were hired to do? (These big shipping companies have oil tankers, too, and are responsible for safety, not to say, ecology. So whom they hire is important. This is not the first accident. Don’t get me started on the Mexican Gulf disaster.) If the people manning Dali do not have the qualifications for the job, this needs to be proven before they leave. I am thinking, there are probably exams one had to take to perform this job, and it is not illegal to administer them to test the knowledge of the Dali crew. Although if they blocked the exhaust pipe, it is the issue of minimal judgement before knowledge is even questioned.
I think that now that the ship is free, the DOJ either has to charge them or release them. I guess they could hold them as material witnesses, but certainly that is going to result in massive complaints (justifiably) from their home nations.

“BALTIMORE — Julio Cervantes Suarez endured the unthinkable when a 100,000-plus-ton cargo shipcrashed into the bridge he was working on, collapsing the critical structure and sending him tumbling into the dark, unforgiving waters below.

Cervantes Suarez, 37, was one of sevenconstruction workers who had been fixing potholes on the Francis Scott Key Bridge when it went crumbling down into the Patapsco River in the early morning hours of March 26. The men, who were all Latino, included his nephew, brother-in-law and friends he had known for years. They were all on break, some inside their cars and others inconstruction vehicles, when the bridge fell.

Cervantes Suarez, who spoke exclusively to NBC News for the first time since the bridge collapse, said he saw his family members and friends disappear into the river one by one, knowing he was next. His nephew, Carlos Daniel Hernández, whom he considered a son, was the first to fall.

In what he thought were his final moments, he turned to God.

“I thanked God for family he gave me. I asked him to take care of my wife and kids. And I asked for forgiveness for everything I’ve done,” Cervantes Suarez said in Spanish, his voice breaking.

After his truck slammed into the river, Cervantes Suarez said the water “came up to my neck” and he was unable to open the doors to escape.

He manually rolled down the vehicle's window to exit, swallowing water as his truck became completely inundated and sank.

“That’s when I realized what happened. I looked at the bridge and it was no longer there,” Cervantes Suarez said.

He had seen his companions as they fell “and how the water covered them,” he said.

I started to call out to each one of them by name,” he said.

“But no one answered me,” he said.

There was only silence, darkness and cold. “

More below:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member