Belgium - 32 Killed In Suicide Bombing At Brussels Airport, 22 March 2016 *arrests, Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A fourth suspect (speculated to be the unidentified person with the hat) has been arrested (source in Dutch: http://www.nu.nl/algemeen/4237174/belgie-brengt-vierde-persoon-in-verband-met-aanslagen-brussel.html). The arrested is Fayçal Cheffou a Belgian freelance journalist. He was arrested thursday. According to the Belgian French paper Le Soir he was recognized by the taxi driver. He was previously known to police as he spread extremist messages and has repeated troubles with the Belgian authorities. Thursday and Friday at least two others have been arrested for their suspected participation in a terroristic organisation, Rabah N. and Abderahmana Ameroud.

Belgian nuclear guard shot, prosecutor rules out militant link

somewhat a releif!!

prosecutor's office also denied media reports that his security pass had been stolen and been de-activated as soon as investigators raised the alarm, public broadcaster VTM said.

Le Soir newspaper said the man was a guard at Belgium's national radioactive elements institute at Fleurus, to the south of Brussels. ((dont think it was an actual plant)

Media made it sound as if this was all new info. But ..

last year, investigators found a video ....as part of investigations into Paris

I thought it was the actual CEO of an operating facility, not an insitiute :

...................director of Belgium's nuclear research program.

Not saying it is not an issue for sure!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-belgium-blast-nuclear-

Fleurus for medical radio-isotopes..............

http://www.wmsym.org/archives/1997/sess25/25-07.htmidUSKCN0WS09E

PS Dear media,

We still need to know more about him being shot. TY!

ANd IMO after everyone of these, we here that (denial) that we are not gonna let them impact our lives. That if fine,it makes one feel in conrtol but the realities here are these folks ARE drastically impacting our lives .

$ spent
cities closed
air travel all over the globe messed up
etc etc everyone of these intensily disrupt our way of life with reverbations around the world for years IMO

This just annonced:

Organisers cancel Sunday's Brussels attacks 'March Against Fear' - AFP

Belgian prosecutors issue arrest warrant for new Brussels attacks suspect - AP

French top dog says Isis is being obliterated ABC

Giving timings- cause the rest of the report is stuff all of us here knew days before they all do thier "breaking news" deal!

2:17 Never saw this video befoes

2:47 SHort shot of them celebrating
:
http://abcnews.go.com/International...ontinue-police-make-arrests/story?id=37947557

The ISIS fighters, allegedly Belgian nationals, praise the terror attacks
'It is just the beginning of your nightmare. Today we declare a new 9/11,' one of the fighters claims
In November, the same fighter praised the Paris attacks and boasted that France would be attacked again

young children gather to watch a jihadi propaganda video, thought to be in Mosul

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-terror-atrocities-Europe.html#ixzz441qb0UX4
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-terror-atrocities-Europe.html#ixzz441qIypbf
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Tid bits

Has anyone heard from ZaZara? You guys are freaking me out. What is posters useage pattern?

Brussels Airport says building 'stable' following Tuesday's attacks, considering temporary check-in desks - AFP

24 of the 31 victims in Brussels attacks have been identified, says Brussels prosecutor, including 11 foreigners - AP

Belgian prosecutors confirm 'Faycal C.' charged with terrorist murder, 2 other offenses; 1st to face charges in relation to Brussels attacks - NBC News

Charged Brussels suspect may be fugitive airport bomber, source says - AFP

Tennessee Couple Confirmed Dead In Brussels Attack Channel 5

Police in Belgium have charged the first of three suspects detained in the Brussels terrorist attacks with terrorist murder, prosecutors said Saturday. UPI

An Algerian man wanted by Belgium in connection with the terror attacks in Brussels has been arrested in Italy

Justin and Stephanie Shults had not been heard from since the terror attacks at an airport .. NBC

What I really really don't get is the 2 brothers were sent for trial. And we're passed down prison sentences. Which in theory they would of still be doing their 'time'
So how come they're out? Why are they 'out' and importantly WHO decided on their freedom?
Would it of been a sympathiser. Judge. Lawyer. ?.
I've read a lot of dubious postings about some of these Daesh/ISIS members having been handed down like a 10 year sentence. In 2013... so how does that work. They wouldn't of been. 'Inside' a long enough time for early release. Dodgy dealings there. Imo hmmmm ...

What I found was that Ibrahim El Bakraoui was sentenced in October 2010 to 9 years prison. And was released in 2014, in spite of a negative advice to do so. In Belgium a lot of the sentences, even the long ones, are drastically reduced in practice. Only serving one third of a sentence in prison is not an exception with the majority leaving prison before half of their sentence has been served (source: http://elfri.be/hoe-lang-duurt-een-effectieve-gevangenisstraf data 2007). So the circa 3-3.5 years sentence is in line with what happens more in Belgium, that sentences are drastically reduced. Reducing and changing sentences into parole/probation is defined in the "Wet Lejeune".

Off topic - this useful article was just posted with useful information to help keep people safer whilst travelling on holiday from a terrorist attack. I know some of you are worried about travelling this summer or have trips planned soon to Europe

"Don't go higher than the fifth floor and avoid staying near the lobby: The safest hotel rooms during a terror attack revealed

A leading security expert has offered his advice on which rooms to avoid
Guests should stay on the second to fifth floors, away from the lobby
The room shouldn't be near any other public areas, including restaurants

Tourists should carry a fully charged phone with access to a local network

Pack a doorstop and use it to prevent people from entering your room"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...ety-terror-attack-disaster.html#ixzz445crPIyZ

Re; A security officer from a nearby nuclear power plant has been found murdered and his pass is missing

Now that is scary. You know what I do ,right now, I would totally change every single employees badge, like color font size -today!!

RE: Eleven nuclear workers in Belgium had their work passes revoked after intelligence warnings.

IMO
In away at this point 11 sounds like a lot, leaving the assumotion that "all" were discovered. I wonder, how many total employyes (ie what percentage of stall were nerfarous) What postions were these folks - in terms "screenings" being done".

We have seen inside nuclear plants in videos -lots of nooks and crannies -has an intense search of entire facility been done to see if there are odd entites alredy in place?

Are there already like airport security checkpoints already in place.Might be a good idea , to company issued transparent back packs be the only thing allowed.

So they are all identical. This is fuc#$$ serious, taking them off the payroll is fine, but it sure gives clear indicators of intent .bomb sniffing dogs should Imo become permanetly 24/7 "on the payroll" NOW.Seems like Belgium Intel is getting a bad rap IMO

SInce Paris those guys , for four months, were arresting people and searching and searching. I dont know what so many countries are thinking?

Blaming them .......IMO they at least kept their eyes on the ball and continusly tried to get them off the streets. What else were they suppossed to do?

Question Does anyone know why LE cover up their faces when they arrest them??

RE:The plot would reportedly have featured two units of terrorists, one group who would use Kalashnikov rifles to shoot civilians and a second that would blow themselves up in crowded areas.

I heard a terrorist expert say this exact thing - that next up is going to be a mix of shooters and vests just like Paris. And he said that actually, for lack of a better word machine guns - actually have capacity to kill more. One would think a bomb would do more- but look at Paris.........

RE:RE:Abdeslam’s lawyer, Sven Mary, said Abdeslam would not fight extradition to France, saying his client “wanted to explain himself in France.” WTH????

May be off here - but I am finding the interviews with those in the hospital very moving. But it occurred to me, that outside of the band in Paris I do not recall journalists going to hospials for bedside "interviews"

I don't know if I heard it right, (cause they used a still picture in that moment) but I thought it was really rude, when the basketball player paused, and I think Muir said "that's it?"

link from earlier post with basketball player bedside interview by David Muir:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...nd-player-recounts-brussels-attacks/82202290/

I was "gone" for several days! And I just realized as I get caught up this gets scarier and scarier. Its not like I lay in bed and worry, but as I am reading all this it "feels" like another one is coming soon. Maybe because time had passed since Paris, so you kinda feel like maybe its calmed down.

There has to be , even if only on a tiny level the arrest Friday of him had to impact Tues.Even if only in terms of "when".

However we are now arresting a lot ,so it seems logical that another trigger (pardon use of word) is occurring. The piece with their apt said they had 33 pounds of the explosive.

That number stunned me.That is like two really big bags of dogfood!! I don't know how much is needed for a suicide belt, but I never ever imagined stockpiled bombs. For some reason I thought its like just made for they event.

Or to put it another way, if they did not raid that unit, I assume they were to "roll" again. IIRC in Paris their vests had 13 pounds each..

Mariah Carey says she's been advised to cancel Brussels concert 'for the safety of my fans, my band, crew and everyone' - @MariahCarey

Suspect shot in leg, arrested at tram station during Friday raids in Schaerbeek neighborhood of Brussels; had been sitting with suspicious bag - AP

Salah Abdeslam has refused to talk since Brussels attacks, says Belgian justice minister - AFP

Evacuation of Arts-Loi metro station in Brussels was ordered after man refused to cooperate with security check - Le Soir

Belgian prosecutors confirm Brussels Airport suicide bomber Najim Laachraoui's DNA was found at Bataclan theater in Paris - AFP

In a vast, chilly cargo hangar in Brussels, terror attack survivors must walk among neat rows of 6,000 bags to find the one with their name.

Backpacks, suitcases and prams on planes which had landed or were about to touch down at the time of the attack are being collected.
But luggage abandoned inside the terminal is still there because the airport remains an active investigation zone after Tuesday's attack

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...s-prams-left-planes-blasts.html#ixzz43ypIedmV

They also discovered a computer in a bin with Ibrahim El Bakraoui's suicide note, in which he apparently stated that he felt unsafe in the wake of the arrest of Paris terrorist Salah Abdeslam last Friday.

That is first time I heard a direct statement regarding impact of Freday on Tues

The terrorists had planned to take a total of four suitcases with them before unleashing the slaughter, but the taxi firm apparently provided a smaller vehicle than they had requested

Turkish authorities revealed today that after being returned to Europe, El Bakraoui returned to Turkey once again, only to be deported for a second time in August.

LINK HAS SEVERAL NEW VIDEOS/PICS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...t-grinning-mugshot-reveals-sent-Belgium-TWICE.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ilt-explosives-mass-murder.html#ixzz43yqlIskO

Stills - what is this white hose doing there?
3286F13F00000578-3508136-image-a-20_1458842451088.jpg

3286F4A500000578-3508136-image-a-23_1458842499404.jpg

3287938000000578-0-image-a-81_1458884030985.jpg

Let's hope and pray they are sensible enough to change the badges and up security significantly. I am extremely concerned about an ISIS supporter or someone from another terrorist group gaining employment or access to a nuclear power station. I know the nuclear power stations are a great source of energy but it would be catastrophic if one was attacked.

I've been away from this thread for a few days and apologize if this has been discussed already....

The fact that the bombers requested a certain-sized taxi and then abandoned a bag rather than call for a bigger car makes me wonder if they were supposed to bomb passengers on a specific flight. Or, maybe they just wanted to time it to coincide with the subway bombing? How far apart in time were the bombings at the two places?

Thank you for your patience as I catch up.

The timeline:

7:55 a.m. (2:55 a.m. ET): Surveillance footage shows three suspected attackers exiting a taxi and pushing luggage trolleys through Brussels Airport. Surveillance captured images of the three suspects.
7:58 a.m. (2:58 a.m. ET): Gunfire reportedly heard in the departures terminal followed by an explosion. As passengers started running, a second blast erupted just 10 seconds later.

One of the attackers, identified by his fingerprints and killed in the explosions, was named Ibrahim El Bakraoui. A second attacker known to have died in the blasts has not yet been identified.
A third suspect, wearing a light-colored jacket and a hat, is believed to have fled the airport. He left a large bag. Just before the bomb squad arrived, this bag exploded due to the instability of the explosives.
8:20 a.m. (3:20 a.m. ET): With the rescue operation underway, Belgian authorities stopped rail transport to the airport and closed roads.

8:40 a.m (3:40 a.m. ET): Airport officials confirmed the explosions and urged people to stay away from the area. A crisis meeting was held at Belgium's Interior Ministry.
9:10 a.m (4:10 a.m. ET): A blast was reported on a train at the Maalbeek metro subway station, near the headquarters of the European Commission.

second train car, which was still in the Maalbeek station. I did not know it wa s still IN station One would thin IMO you would wait until it was more in the middle- harder to rescue, Unless it goes aboveground at some point?ANyone know?

9:27 a.m. (4:27 a.m. ET): Brussels metro system was closed. At around the same time, French President Francois Hollande held an emergency meeting with government ministers.
10 a.m. (5 a.m. ET): Brussels' entire public transport system — including streetcars, buses and trains — was shut down. The Belgian Crisis Centre tweeted: "Stay where you are."
10:13 a.m. (5:13 a.m. ET): London's Gatwick Airport announced it was increasing security.

10:35 a.m. (5:25 a.m. ET): The Eurostar train service suspended service to and from Brussels Midi station. The rail service links London with Paris and Brussels via the Channel Tunnel.
11:15 a.m. (6:15 a.m. ET): President Barack Obama condemned the "outrageous attacks."
11:20 (6:20 a.m. ET): France deployed an extra 1,600 police officers to its borders and placed some of them on public transport.
11:25 a.m. (6:25 a.m. ET): Police and soldiers reinforced security around Belgium's nuclear power plants.
11:30 a.m (6:30 a.m. ET): Belgium deployed an extra 225 troops to Brussels...............

12:20 p.m. (7:20 a.m. ET): Facebook activated its "safety check" system to help people check on their friends and loved ones

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/br...tacks-timeline-events-belgian-capital-n544221

The airport

23 million passengers arrived or departed at Brussels Airport, making it the 21st busiest airport in Europe.

employing 20,000 people

Since 2011, the airport is owned by theToronto-based Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan

down until Tuesday, March 29, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_Airport#Statistics

Managing the mess:

I thought this was interesting. Never thought about it but after a mess like this there would be tons of questionsand think about it most people would not know like where building 722 is or 834 etc to like get there bags and all tht stuff.

On this page, we offer all essential updates and practical information after the 22/03 attacks. God the logiestics involvned.

[COLOR=#FFFFFF !important]On this page, you’ll find all latest updates.
[/COLOR]

Latest information

Latest updates

All updates

The Metro bomb was about an hour after the airport bombing.

It's just so curious to me why the bombers so easily left one bag at home when the taxi that arrived was too small. Why not re-order a bigger taxi or get a second taxi to carry all the bags? The only reason I can think of is that they had a specific timeline they were supposed to follow, and the timeline was more important than the additional bag.

If the timeline wasn't to coordinate the bombings at the airport and subway, what was its purpose? One possibility is that they were targeting a specific American Airlines flight. IIRC, the bombs went off near an AA counter. I'm thinking it was a flight from Brussels to NYC. Does anyone have info on that detail? Am I recalling that correctly?

Or, it's possible the two locations were supposed to be bombed at the same time, but the subway terrorist was delayed?

Or, it's possible the two incidents were supposed to be spread apart by a little bit to increase the fear of "anything could happen at any time."

IDK.

The timeline:

7:55 a.m. (2:55 a.m. ET): Surveillance footage shows three suspected attackers exiting a taxi and pushing luggage trolleys through Brussels Airport. Surveillance captured images of the three suspects.
7:58 a.m. (2:58 a.m. ET): Gunfire reportedly heard in the departures terminal followed by an explosion. As passengers started running, a second blast erupted just 10 seconds later.

One of the attackers, identified by his fingerprints and killed in the explosions, was named Ibrahim El Bakraoui. A second attacker known to have died in the blasts has not yet been identified.
A third suspect, wearing a light-colored jacket and a hat, is believed to have fled the airport. He left a large bag. Just before the bomb squad arrived, this bag exploded due to the instability of the explosives.
8:20 a.m. (3:20 a.m. ET): With the rescue operation underway, Belgian authorities stopped rail transport to the airport and closed roads.

8:40 a.m (3:40 a.m. ET): Airport officials confirmed the explosions and urged people to stay away from the area. A crisis meeting was held at Belgium's Interior Ministry.
9:10 a.m (4:10 a.m. ET): A blast was reported on a train at the Maalbeek metro subway station, near the headquarters of the European Commission.

second train car, which was still in the Maalbeek station. I did not know it wa s still IN station One would thin IMO you would wait until it was more in the middle- harder to rescue, Unless it goes aboveground at some point?ANyone know?

Snipped by me. Thank you for this useful timeline. I feel more grounded when timelines and maps are posted. :)

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2016/03/26/22617332.html
rbbm.
Dogs the best way to prevent terror attacks?

NEW YORK -- Even in an era of high-tech crime-fighting, the best line of defence against a Brussels-style attack on airports and subways has four legs and a tail.

Dogs, with their exquisitely sensitive noses, have been trained in recent years to pick up the scent of explosives on people moving through crowded concourses, and so far they have proved a better early warning system than anything engineers have come up with.

"They outperform both men and machines," said John Waters, chief of the New York City Police Department's counterterrorism unit, which just this week graduated its latest squad of dogs capable of following the vapour from explosives such as the terrorist bomb-making material of the moment, TATP.

But experts say there are not enough of these "vapour wake" dogs to go around. Only about 130 have gotten the patented training nationwide since its development about a decade ago. And only one dog is in Europe, according to the chief trainer.

snip>
Islamic State extremists are using small devices in crowded areas, as seen in the airport and subway attacks in Belgium that left 31 people dead.

The NYPD's newly graduated class of eight "vapour wake" dogs underwent 15 months of training to sniff out explosive particles in the heat plume left by humans as they walk through a crowd, then follow the scent to the source. They're different from traditional bomb-sniffing dogs trained to smell a stationary object.

A dog has 200 million olfactory sensors in its nose. By contrast, the human nose has 5 million. Even though dogs get tired and distracted, no technology can match one, officials say.

It's just so curious to me why the bombers so easily left one bag at home when the taxi that arrived was too small. Why not re-order a bigger taxi or get a second taxi to carry all the bags? The only reason I can think of is that they had a specific timeline they were supposed to follow, and the timeline was more important than the additional bag.

If the timeline wasn't to coordinate the bombings at the airport and subway, what was its purpose? One possibility is that they were targeting a specific American Airlines flight. IIRC, the bombs went off near an AA counter. I'm thinking it was a flight from Brussels to NYC. Does anyone have info on that detail? Am I recalling that correctly?

Or, it's possible the two locations were supposed to be bombed at the same time, but the subway terrorist was delayed?

Or, it's possible the two incidents were supposed to be spread apart by a little bit to increase the fear of "anything could happen at any time."

IDK.

Quoting myself!

Looks like American Airlines was NOT the site of the bombings. I stand corrected!

http://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...merican-airlines-counter-airline-says-8148234

Geezzzz

[h=2]Around 10 arrested as far-right hooligans riot at Brussels shrine, per police - AFP

[/h][h=2]Water cannons pointed at far-right protesters in Brussels during peace march; crowd starting to move away - @DaveKeating

[/h][h=2]Video: Riot police protecting Bourse memorial site during march in Brussels - @Riadh_B
[/h]

"Interior Minister Jan Jambon conceded Sunday that decades of neglect had hampered the government’s response to violent extremism. He said the government has invested 600 million euros ($670 million) into police and security services over the past two years but that Belgium’s justice system and security services are still lagging behind." ....

"Jambon also said the Brussels subway network had been told to shut off services around 20 minutes before the attack at the subway station, which is close to both the European Union headquarters and the U.S. embassy. He did not fully explain why it was not closed in time, raising more questions about the efficiency of Belgium’s security services."

More at http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...-cannon-brussels-protesters-article-1.2579179

The timeline:

9:27 a.m. (4:27 a.m. ET): Brussels metro system was closed. At around the same time, French President Francois Hollande held an emergency meeting with government ministers.
10 a.m. (5 a.m. ET): Brussels' entire public transport system — including streetcars, buses and trains — was shut down. The Belgian Crisis Centre tweeted: "Stay where you are."
10:13 a.m. (5:13 a.m. ET): London's Gatwick Airport announced it was increasing security.

10:35 a.m. (5:25 a.m. ET): The Eurostar train service suspended service to and from Brussels Midi station. The rail service links London with Paris and Brussels via the Channel Tunnel.
11:15 a.m. (6:15 a.m. ET): President Barack Obama condemned the "outrageous attacks."
11:20 (6:20 a.m. ET): France deployed an extra 1,600 police officers to its borders and placed some of them on public transport.
11:25 a.m. (6:25 a.m. ET): Police and soldiers reinforced security around Belgium's nuclear power plants.
11:30 a.m (6:30 a.m. ET): Belgium deployed an extra 225 troops to Brussels...............

12:20 p.m. (7:20 a.m. ET): Facebook activated its "safety check" system to help people check on their friends and loved ones

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/br...tacks-timeline-events-belgian-capital-n544221

The airport

23 million passengers arrived or departed at Brussels Airport, making it the 21st busiest airport in Europe.

employing 20,000 people

Since 2011, the airport is owned by theToronto-based Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan

down until Tuesday, March 29, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_Airport#Statistics

Managing the mess:

I thought this was interesting. Never thought about it but after a mess like this there would be tons of questionsand think about it most people would not know like where building 722 is or 834 etc to like get there bags and all tht stuff.

On this page, we offer all essential updates and practical information after the 22/03 attacks. God the logiestics involvned.

[COLOR=#FFFFFF !important]On this page, you’ll find all latest updates.
[/COLOR]

Latest information

Latest updates

All updates

I didn't realize the 3rd bomb went off before they were able to deactivate it. I am surprised that the 3rd terrorist in the hat wasn't harmed when the 1st bomb went off, but I guess they separated so explosions would be in different areas.

I've been away from this thread for a few days and apologize if this has been discussed already....

The fact that the bombers requested a certain-sized taxi and then abandoned a bag rather than call for a bigger car makes me wonder if they were supposed to bomb passengers on a specific flight. Or, maybe they just wanted to time it to coincide with the subway bombing? How far apart in time were the bombings at the two places?

Thank you for your patience as I catch up.
Have they recovered the piece of luggage that didn't fit in the car?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SierraShadow2139125
Back