Belize - Francesca Matus, 52, & Drew De Voursney, 36, murdered, Corozal, 25 Apr 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Women in Belize drive. Some even drive taxis.

One would be wise not to mess with the female taxi drivers of Belize!
http://www.ctv3belizenews.com/index...ached-by-passengers&catid=40:crime&Itemid=100

22 June 2016
Gloria Alvarez, a naturalized Belizean taxi driver residing here in Orange Walk Town is lucky to be alive tonight after she was assaulted on Friday night by two individuals

Alvarez was ordered to stop the vehicle somewhere on the Yo Creek road where Hernandez’s partner pulled out a screw driver and placed it on Alvarez’s neck. She was then ordered to give up her car keys and was told that if she didn’t follow instructions, she would be killed.

Alvarez reportedly began struggling with both individuals and managed to open the door in order to escape from the vehicle and grabbed a machete that she had near the driver’s seat. At the same time, the male person excited the back door of the car and proceeded towards Alvarez in an attempt to stab her with the screwdriver. Alvarez however, managed to inflict a chop wound on the right side her attacker’s face and one to his right hand, amputating the tip of his middle finger.

If it was me, I would be OUT of there!

Sorry but I would not be hanging around to see what else they could throw at me and make stick.

JMO

They've taken his passport. I don't think attempting to leave Belize at this point would be a good idea.

And lets not forget that the only person that has said JD has been cleared is JD and his attorney. I'm sure they are checking out his story very closely. JD did say "They know where I was and who I was with", so it does appear that he has given an alibi.

And lets not forget that the only person that has said JD has been cleared is JD and his attorney. I'm sure they are checking out his story very closely. JD did say "They know where I was and who I was with", so it does appear that he has given an alibi.

The police have never named him as a suspect - the media did that. They had him around 10 days and released him without charging him in connection to this case. The only person who has cast suspicion against him is a guy he charged with assault. I'm more of an "innocent until proven guilty" kind of girl, so unless the investigators find some evidence that points at JD, I'm satisfied that he's telling the truth about being cleared. I think the only reason we keep talking about him is because he's the only name we have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does anybody have any faith that this crime will ever be solved? Having seen interviews with the investigator and video of the police station, my confidence is gone. The investigator seems to be more interested in taking a nap than he does solving this crime. Total lack of enthusiasm. Watching the news in Belize its hard not to notice the number of similarly similar crimes happening on almost a daily basis, yet there doesn't seem to be anywhere close to an equal number of arrest or trials in the news. Unfortunately that old adage that "crimes are solved in the first 48 hours" is probably most accurate in a country like Belize.

Does anybody have any faith that this crime will ever be solved? Having seen interviews with the investigator and video of the police station, my confidence is gone.

In poorer countries (and poorer small towns in the US and Canada), the local police are more like security guards than CSI detectives, so I don't expect much from the police in Belize. The one chance is, if locals were involved, they have trouble keeping secrets and their family and friends may start to talk. Or a gang member may talk after being arrested, to save themselves.

There is the involvement of the FBI, and potentially private detective(s), who, for eg, solved the case of the Ottawa man, Ed Moynan, discovered in a suitcase in a Panama park. It took a year, but the perp, his business partner, was caught.

I read in an article, Francesca's family just want to know why - I interpret that as meaning they're not expecting justice, or maybe even identification of the likely suspect, they just want to know was it a gang hit, or a land/financial dispute, or a sexual attack, was it likely locals or expats, etc. I agree, not having any 'category' to slot this into means it's hard to even begin to let go. The FBI and private consultants can likely assist with that through their skill in delving into the victims' backgrounds, and profiling the kind of killer(s) that would be behind this.

There's also the question of repeat offences. Is this truly a one-off, or is it something the killer(s) has done before, or will have the need/desire to do again? That could lead to them being caught.

It seems the police have ruled out a random carjacking robbery, so that's a start. I hope more clarity will emerge, though I'm prepared to be very, very patient.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Does anybody have any faith that this crime will ever be solved? Having seen interviews with the investigator and video of the police station, my confidence is gone. The investigator seems to be more interested in taking a nap than he does solving this crime. Total lack of enthusiasm. Watching the news in Belize its hard not to notice the number of similarly similar crimes happening on almost a daily basis, yet there doesn't seem to be anywhere close to an equal number of arrest or trials in the news. Unfortunately that old adage that "crimes are solved in the first 48 hours" is probably most accurate in a country like Belize.
If there is a successful prosecution, it would be an exception. To be honest, most people don't even bother calling the police because they often don't even have the means to attend. If you choose to live in Belize, which I do and I love it here, then you should do so with the knowledge that your safety is your responsibility.

I think I've resigned myself to this not being solved. It started out with officials throwing ideas at the wall to see what would stick. Nothing is sticking. I am very interested in who makes the first move to buy her property, as that's the last clue that we have to work with. After that, I think it will go as cold as all the other murders of ex-pats and tourists in Belize.

Meanwhile, another Canadian murdered in Honduras, it seems that people did not care for the lifestyle he had, might the same be the case with FM and her younger bf?
speculation, imo.
http://www.680news.com/video/2017/0...-in-honduras-amid-wave-of-anti-lgbt-violence/
An 80-year-old Canadian man appears to be the latest victim in a wave of violence against the LGBT community in Honduras. According to reports, he and his partner died after they were brutally attacked in their home in the coastal town of Tela.

May 16, 2017

I think the "lifestyle" they were talking about was their homosexuality, not their age difference.

Of course I hope you guys are wrong re: solving this. I'm hoping the FBI can get a good idea of how things transpired from the evidence they've gathered and that could lead to a motive/suspects. I think their job may be much more difficult though, given they would have been working in a disturbed/contaminated scene. Anyway, nothing to do but wait - must be excruciating for the families. :(

Of course I hope you guys are wrong re: solving this. I'm hoping the FBI can get a good idea of how things transpired from the evidence they've gathered and that could lead to a motive/suspects. I think their job may be much more difficult though, given they would have been working in a disturbed/contaminated scene. Anyway, nothing to do but wait - must be excruciating for the families. :(

I'd be surprised if the FBI were even still there.

Meanwhile, another Canadian murdered in Honduras, it seems that people did not care for the lifestyle he had, might the same be the case with FM and her younger bf?
speculation, imo.
http://www.680news.com/video/2017/0...-in-honduras-amid-wave-of-anti-lgbt-violence/
Homophobia and gender based violence is a serious issue in Honduras. Being gay is not a lifestyle any more than being straight is. No one would even think twice of disapproving of a woman living with or having a relationship with a man of any age in Belize.

I'd be surprised if the FBI were even still there.
I read reports they'd left, after gathering the evidence and probably interviewing anyone of interest.

But they'd prefer to analyse any evidence in the US, including, I would hope, cellphone data such as gps and phone calls, text messages, emails, bank activity.

I wonder if, Drew having been a marine, and possibly having complained to the embassy about something, might lead the FBI to invest more resources into this than other expat murders.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

http://amandala.com.bz/news/john-de...al-double-murder-released-supreme-court-bail/
Justice Moore offered bail to Deshaies in the sum of $20,000. Justice Moore also stipulated that a Belizean surety must sign on behalf of Deshaies, who, reportedly, has been living in Belize for about two years with his girlfriend and two children.
The bail condition also stated that Deshaies is to appear at all adjournments of his case in the Independence Magistrate’s Court. He is to report to the Corozal Police Station every Friday, beginning next Friday, May 19, until his matter is disposed of, and he has been ordered to stay away from prosecution witnesses in the case. Also, whilst on bail, he is not to be arrested for any other offense, but if arrested, he is to be brought before a Supreme Court judge at the earliest possible time.
While waiting to for his bail to be processed, Deshaies told Amandala that he regrets that his name has become entangled with the public coverage and investigation of the crimes he’s accused of committing.
“I wish people would focus on finding the right people who did this,” he remarked.

I think I've resigned myself to this not being solved. It started out with officials throwing ideas at the wall to see what would stick. Nothing is sticking. I am very interested in who makes the first move to buy her property, as that's the last clue that we have to work with. After that, I think it will go as cold as all the other murders of ex-pats and tourists in Belize.

I agree with most of your post otto, with the exception that the "first person" who makes a move to buy her property could be a "clue" to a motive in killing her. It is obvious that her property will become available for sale, and interested buyers will be waiting for the chance to make offers on it. Whoever makes the first move to buy her property is irrelevant IMO. Her murder has generated public interest in Belize, Canada and USA. Interested parties who want to buy in Belize know that her property will be coming up for sale and will be waiting to move on it.

Homophobia and gender based violence is a serious issue in Honduras. Being gay is not a lifestyle any more than being straight is. No one would even think twice of disapproving of a woman living with or having a relationship with a man of any age in Belize.

I find it interesting that in this case and in the case of Anne Swaney, the ABC producer who was murdered in Belize over a year ago, police have said that they believe that members of the community know what happened. Im wondering if this is a similar situation to what happens in some of the slum areas in North America, where just about everybody knows who committed a crime, but nobody wants to speak up of fear of reprisal?

I find it interesting that in this case and in the case of Anne Swaney, the ABC producer who was murdered in Belize over a year ago, police have said that they believe that members of the community know what happened. Im wondering if this is a similar situation to what happens in some of the slum areas in North America, where just about everybody knows who committed a crime, but nobody wants to speak up of fear of reprisal?

We have heard that before..

A longtime real-estate developer in Corozal told Postmedia that Deshaies, a local contractor, is being set up as a patsy.

"He didn't do it," said the source, who didn't want to be identified for fear of violent reprisals. "I sold him that blue truck. He's a great guy."

But the developer, and local media reports, said real-estate development in Belize is a virtual shooting gallery. People buy properties that don't exist and land swindles are common.

And then there is the violence.

"That's why people in Corozal aren't saying anything. They're terrified," the source said. "They know who is behind all this and they're very afraid of him."

"Him" is an elderly American land baron and the insider believes Matus may have been collateral damage and that the target was either Deshaies or DeVoursney.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/20...person-of-interest-in-double-murder-in-belize

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randell9587
Back