Belize - Francesca Matus, 52, & Drew De Voursney, 36, murdered, Corozal, 25 Apr 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=40611
The First Comments From Francesca’s Family
posted (June 7, 2017)
Courtney Weatherburne
"Now this guy John Deshais right, do you know him are you familiar with him? He was named the lead suspect in this double murder."

Family Member of the Deceased
"I only met him for the first time through phone after this had happened."

Courtney Weatherburne
"Okay so you communicated with John?"

"Absolutely, when she went missing he called me, he got a hold of me and he was explaining how he and a bunch of her friends were going to be doing a search the following day in cane fields back roads and everything like that so I did speak to John that he organised getting these planes to do search over Corozal because he had a contact with a pilot. When I spoke to Francesca, she never had anything bad to say about John, not once and if it there was anything negative she would have told the family."
Matus's family also commented on today's discovery of the bodies of couple Zeidy Orozco and Baltazar Lopez – the similarities in both double murders is eerie.

"For a town that before this happened is seen to be a peaceful nice place to be all of a sudden within one month or just over a month we have four people that have murdered in similar ways, cars in cane fields and bodies found, I wasn't aware of bodies that were found yet but I was covering, I was keeping up with that story so that I wanted to know what would happen with the couple; unfortunately they succumbed to the same outcome as Francesca and Drew."
rbbm

June 12 2017
http://www.7newsbelize.com/sstory.php?nid=40657
Reporter
"So, there is absolutely no leads as to how they ended up here and the vehicle ended up somewhere else?"
"Basically when people would come in to give information, it's just what they heard, it's not what they know for sure. Everyone is just speculating. So what happened with the 2 previous couple - their necks were broken and with this recent couple, one of them got shot in the head and the other was hit with a blunt object. So the characteristics are certainly different." Reporter
"That serial theory is not being considered?"
Sr. Supt. Dennis Arnold, Officer Commanding - Corozal
"That's right."

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/13/belize-murder-victims-family-hits-brick-wall
By Brad Hunter, Toronto Sun
June 13, 2017
Belize murder victim’s family hits brick wall
And so far, the family has struggled to discover the barest of details, one relative told 7News Belize.

“The family will call and ask for lead detectives that are in charge and their typical answer is, ‘We will be back in an hour.’ You call back in an hour and they’re not there,” the relative, who wasn’t named, told the news station.

He added: “We are so far away and we can’t do anything, but we need some lines of communication — especially when the family was promised updates.”

Making matters worse, the family found out through social media that Matus — a real estate investor — had been murdered. Cops have never contacted the family.

Also of concern has been the mother of two’s financial affairs.

“The family wanted to know if there was any kind of movement in the accounts because this could give a motive to what is going on,” the relative said.

After becoming upset with detectives, the relative said they passed the buck to the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU) and blamed them.
Local cops have downplayed any suggestion a serial killer is preying on residents in the tourist town, population 9,000.

Matus’ relative said another double slaying in a piece of paradise known to be peaceful is too much of a coincidence
rbbm.

The lack of professionalism with respect to this investigation is disheartening to say the least.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of all 4 recent murder victims we have discussed here.

What a nightmare.

And what were the "threats" that the female in this couple supposedly received? What was her situation? Unmarried with children. What was her relationship with the father of her children?

(respectfully snipped and bolded by me)

Found answers to 2 of your questions.
I don't recall reading anything about Zeidi's phone, if it was found or not, and truly hope LE is checking into those text messages. Hopefully, Zeidi let someone know who made the death threats in person.

Orozco’s family confirmed to the Reporter that she had been receiving death threats via text messages and once in person about three months prior to her death.

The family says they are afraid and shaken and hope that the officials carry out relentless investigations to apprehend the person or people involved in the callous murder of their loved one.

Lopez’s family, in an interview with the Reporter, said he never indicated to them that his life was in danger.
Orozco leaves behind a daughter while Lopez is survived by three children.

http://www.reporter.bz/front-page/second-double-murder-in-corozal/

http://belizenews.com/
Two double murders have been reported in a span of only months in the Corozal district. The once peaceful district has also seen an increase in violent crimes and robberies, some including extortion by police officers.
attachment.php

Attachments

• candlelight-vigil.jpg
    candlelight-vigil.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 102
The status of the investigation (or what appears to be a lack of trustable investigation) is so disheartening. My heart goes out to the families - it's hard to begin to be heal when you have so many unanswered questions. Drew's friend was initially planning to hire a PI. Any updates on that? I apologize for not looking into it myself - my schedule is turned upside down and I'm useless after work. But I haven't forgotten about Francesca and Drew and I do appreciate that people continue to post. Although I don't believe the murders of the other couple are related, I was still saddened to hear of their deaths.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I doubt this couple would have ever crossed paths with the expats or known anyone in common, expats tend to move in a separate world from locals.

EDITED to add: the use of a gun makes this seem more like a gang hit. Perhaps Lopez had a debt or was involved with something.
Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Belize is a small country and Corozal a very small community. Expats and Belizeans eat, drink and party together commonly and there are very few degrees of separation between anyone who lives here.

Belize is a small country and Corozal a very small community. Expats and Belizeans eat, drink and party together commonly and there are very few degrees of separation between anyone who lives here.
The deceased woman even had a post about the Canadian woman on her FB😟

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Really starting to get pissed off at the police in Belize, not only because of the lack of progress in either of these cases, but because of the way they are avoiding any communications with the victim's families. I'm beginning to think that the only chance that either of these cases will ever be solved is if someone were to walk in to the police station and confess.

There has been no indication from LE or anyone that either couple had occasion to "eat, drink and party" together. There appears to be no connection between the two couples.

MOO

The deceased woman even had a post about the Canadian woman on her FB��

No doubt most of Corozal had the same. I'm sure it was a very big deal to everyone who lived in the area.

MOO

Really starting to get pissed off at the police in Belize, not only because of the lack of progress in either of these cases, but because of the way they are avoiding any communications with the victim's families. I'm beginning to think that the only chance that either of these cases will ever be solved is if someone were to walk in to the police station and confess.

I'm starting to wonder just what LE in Belize is paid to do? According to our local poster here, it appears they do absolutely nothing.

Apparently none of them even bothered to search for the missing couples?

No doubt most of Corozal had the same. I'm sure it was a very big deal to everyone who lived in the area.

MOO
True, true. I just find it sadly ironic. Not to mention I feel awful for her daughter. She was really crazy about her.😞

There has been no indication from LE or anyone that either couple had occasion to "eat, drink and party" together. There appears to be no connection between the two couples.

MOO
They live in the same community. It is a small community. Everyone eats, drinks and parties at the same locations for the most part and there is little division between expats and Belizeans, especially in small places like Corozal. The fact that they both lived in Corozal establishes that type of connection. You don't really seem to have a grasp as to how small this country is. It's not unusual to bump into the Prime Minister and/or his wife when you are just out to catch a bite to eat somewhere or in the store. You may not be friends with someone or hang out with them, but you'll know them in passing.

I'm starting to wonder just what LE in Belize is paid to do? According to our local poster here, it appears they do absolutely nothing.

Apparently none of them even bothered to search for the missing couples?
They get paid about 100-200 usd a week to do a ******, dangerous and unappreciated job with no resources. Without forensics, murders are not solveable. We don't even have a national fingerprint database and most stations have no computers. The only murder convictions that happen here, and they are very rare indeed, are when there is either a witness or confession and usually both of those are found to be unreliable at appeal. They did search for both missing couples.

Murders are almost always unsolved. I think the murder conviction rate here is about 3%. The police have no means to solve these crimes. In some areas, if you call the police, you need to send a taxi to pick them up or have to go get them yourself as some stations do not have working vehicles. There are no forensics. As for communicating with the victim's families, it's not something they are used to or trained to do, especially when it comes to foreigners, who have expectations that they can't meet. If they say there is no further information, that is probably the case. The police do a pretty awful job here when it comes to dealing with murder. They are underfunded, under trained and under resourced. Many refuse to police big events because if their uniform gets damaged/stained/dirty, they have to pay to replace it.Most have to work another job to survive as the pay is so low. When they do catch people, if those people have any connections to those in positions of power, they are not permitted to proceed. What they have done in recent months is an excellent job with gang violence and for that we are grateful.

They live in the same community. It is a small community. Everyone eats, drinks and parties at the same locations for the most part and there is little division between expats and Belizeans, especially in small places like Corozal. The fact that they both lived in Corozal establishes that type of connection. You don't really seem to have a grasp as to how small this country is. It's not unusual to bump into the Prime Minister and/or his wife when you are just out to catch a bite to eat somewhere or in the store. You may not be friends with someone or hang out with them, but you'll know them in passing.

Maybe someone should mention to the Prime Minister that there appears to be a deranged individual(s) on the loose, and more resources and expertise are needed before there are more victims?

As an observer from another country (planet?) it seems that there is not much regard for human life and criminal activity by such a nonchalant and lackadaisical attitude.

I propose something as simple as a few cameras set-up for monitoring patrons at the more popular establishments, so that if, and heaven forbid when, another attack occurs, there could be some video evidence.

Not to mention that there appear to be only a few main arteries of "highways" in the country. A few cameras on those routes would surely assist the police force?

JMO

WG

Belize has one of the highest murder rates in the world. I think we rank fourth. I think the Prime Minister is well aware that violent crime is an issue. This is a very poor country. So poor, in fact, that it's unlikely it can ever pay its international debts. Over 50% of the work force is illiterate and unemployment remains between 25 and 30%. Many children have no access to education and many villages none to potable drinking water. If you have any ideas where the additional resources might come from, that would be great. Have you spent much time in developing countries? This is how many people live here. https://static.wixstatic.com/media/....jpg_srz_980_492_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Crime is just one of the many major issues facing this young, beautiful but struggling country. Belize is only 35 years old. It will take more than anger and frustration to make it succeed. There is simply very little money in most of the country.

Belize has one of the highest murder rates in the world. I think we rank fourth. I think the Prime Minister is well aware that violent crime is an issue. This is a very poor country. So poor, in fact, that it's unlikely it can ever pay its international debts. Over 50% of the work force is illiterate and unemployment remains between 25 and 30%. Many children have no access to education and many villages none to potable drinking water. If you have any ideas where the additional resources might come from, that would be great. Have you spent much time in developing countries? This is how many people live here. https://static.wixstatic.com/media/....jpg_srz_980_492_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

Crime is just one of the many major issues facing this young, beautiful but struggling country. Belize is only 35 years old. It will take more than anger and frustration to make it succeed. There is simply very little money in most of the country.

Sad but true.
http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post...-areas-poverty-and-violence-st-louis#stream/0
[h=1]Pastor’s work in Belize helps him draw connections to areas of poverty and violence in St. Louis[/h] By Kelly Moffitt • Oct 21, 2015

Ruhl has worked with Saint Louis University’s Belize Project, which sends people from St. Louis to Belize to help improve education there. Part of the project is to study what is being done to help victims of violence and poverty there in order to bring that information back to St. Louis to help people with similar issues. Counseling for post-traumatic stress is one such solution.

Ruhl said that although there are issues in St. Louis, Belize has it far worse.
“I worked in East St. Louis and I worked in North St. Louis, and I’m here to tell you that the south side of Belize City is worse,” Ruhl said. “My entire time here, I maybe buried one or two murdered individuals. Down there, I bury a murdered individual once a month.”

Poverty, but even more so, drug cartels are to blame.

“Americans are looking at this whole ISIS issue and seeing how rough and brutish and nasty they are, but I’m here to tell you that the cartels are the Central and South American ISIS. They are a brutal and savage industry. And that has played out from the heads of government, down to street level.”

Listen to Ruhl discuss other roots of issues in Belize here:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iwantapuppy
Back