Belize - Gregory Faull, 52, shot to death, San Pedro, Ambergris Caye, 11 Nov 2012

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Stupidity and greed, in no particular order.

Yeah and probably some bad investments. If he got involved with gangsters and he was higher than a kite all the time I am sure plenty of folks came around looking for "investment" dollars.

Asked what he knows about the shooting, McAfee said, “Nothing — other than I heard he had been shot.” In fact, McAfee added, he’s worried that whoever shot Faull may have actually been gunning for him. “I thought maybe they were coming for me. They mistook him for me. They got the wrong house,” he said. “He’s dead. They killed him. It spooked me out.”

If McAfee is involved, it may trace back to the half-dozen dogs McAfee keeps at his beachside compound. Faull, like other McAfee neighbors, had been complaining about the dogs and reportedly filed a formal complaint about them with the mayor of the nearby town of San Pedro last week. According to McAfee, the dogs were poisoned on Friday night.

McAfee blames the death of the dogs on the Belizean authorities, with whom he has been tangling for months. In April, the Gang Suppression Unit raided his property on the mainland and accused him of manufacturing methamphetamine and possessing unlicensed weapons. Those charges were dropped but McAfee believes that the government has a vendetta against him. He believes the death of his dogs was just another attempt to get him to leave the country.

“The coast guard dropped off a contingent of black-suited thugs at 10:30 tonight at the dock next door,” McAfee wrote me in an e-mail Friday night. “They dispersed on the beach. A half hour later all of my dogs had been poisoned. Mellow, Lucky, Dipsy, and Guerrero have already died.”

Much, much more at link: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/11/threatlevel_1112_mcafee/

Hey, here I am with a box on my head but you can't see me because I'm invisible too. Food and water, who needs it.

call me @ 1-800-boxonhead

Belize's newspapers, or government officials.
I also highly doubt that he had a meth lab and that he was using bath salts.
I think, that's what Belize is putting out there to discredit him.
Hubby and I looked seriously into retiring in Belize. However, it is highly dangerous, corrupt and full of gangs. Everyone there has bars on their doors and windows, and that doesn't even stop the theives.
Kidnappings have really picked up there too.

I'm not a doc, but he sounds like a highly functioning bi-polar personality?

The more international press and attention he can get on his situation, the better for him. The powers that be in Belize do not want any negative press that might harm their tourism.

Anyway, one heck of an interesting story. One of those life is stranger then fiction stories? :waitasec:

I hope he can get out of there and sort this out, because it looks like they're gunning for him in Belize.

doesn’t sound like much of a disguise, but John McAfee is doing his best to change his appearance as he continues to evade the police in Belize.

In a case that seems to get more bizarre by the day, the 67-year-old has continued to call me with semi-hourly updates. The latest disclosure: He claims to have dyed his hair, eyebrows, beard, and mustache jet black.

“I have modified my appearance in a radical fashion,” McAfee said, “I’ll probably look like a murderer, unfortunately.”

#####

He’s convinced that, while he’s away from his compound, the police will plant incriminating evidence unrelated to Faull’s murder. “The police have been to my house seven times,” he said. “I expect them to uncover a cache of fully automatic weapons, four tons of cocaine. Maybe a Soviet submarine.”

The authorities, meanwhile appear to be trying to put pressure on McAfee by arresting friends and associates, according to two sources (who are not McAfee). Since Sunday, police have detained one of McAfee’s bodyguards, William Mulligan; his groundskeeper, Cassian Chavaria; and a local taxi driver, Cesar Trapp.

McAfee said he is outraged by the detentions: “This is exactly what happened to Soviet dissidents when Stalin took power. If they could not catch the man himself, they rounded up all of his friends.”

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/11/john-mcafee/

I do not think I'd believe what's coming out of
Belize's newspapers, or government officials.
I also highly doubt that he had a meth lab and that he was using bath salts.
I think, that's what Belize is putting out there to discredit him.
Hubby and I looked seriously into retiring in Belize. However, it is highly dangerous, corrupt and full of gangs. Everyone there has bars on their doors and windows, and that doesn't even stop the theives.
Kidnappings have really picked up there too.

I'm not a doc, but he sounds like a highly functioning bi-polar personality?

The more international press and attention he can get on his situation, the better for him. The powers that be in Belize do not want any negative press that might harm their tourism.

Anyway, one heck of an interesting story. One of those life is stranger then fiction stories? :waitasec:

I agree with you 1000%, Kali. My brother and SIL have lived in Belize for 15 years or so. Their built by hand, $1,000,000 Animal Sanctuary was burned to the ground while the cops stood and watched. Even the animals were torched alive and macheted to death. The cops had been tipped off that the villagers were going to do it. They (the villagers) even arrived in busses to loot and commit the arson in broad daylight!

Now I'm not saying McAfee didn't do this - but I really don't know about a gringo getting a fair shake in Belize........

I agree with you 1000%, Kali. My brother and SIL have lived in Belize for 15 years or so. Their built by hand, $1,000,000 Animal Sanctuary was burned to the ground while the cops stood and watched. Even the animals were torched alive and macheted to death. The cops had been tipped off that the villagers were going to do it. They (the villagers) even arrived in busses to loot and commit the arson in broad daylight!

Now I'm not saying McAfee didn't do this - but I really don't know about a gringo getting a fair shake in Belize........

McAfee's essay bolsters your personal account.

Not to be off-topic - but this is my brothers case. If you read the posts at the bottom, you will get an idea of the animosity between the natives and the outsiders. (And the government is native)

If I was McAfee, I would be very scared.

"The Roses got more calls from friends Saturday, again telling them that villagers with shotguns and machetes were on their way to the sanctuary. The caretaker was afraid to go there, Cherie Rose said, so they called police that night. The police said they couldn't go on the property because the Roses' two mixed-breed dogs were barking and would not allow them to enter, Cherie Rose recounted.

"By 9 a.m. Sunday, we were receiving frantic calls and texts," Cherie Rose said."

more at link...

let me try that link again...[URL="http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/09/07/belize.american.house.torched/index.html?section=cnn_latest"]http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/americas/09/07/belize.american.house.torched/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Not to be off-topic - but this is my brothers case. If you read the posts at the bottom, you will get an idea of the animosity between the natives and the outsiders. (And the government is native)

I remember reading about that when it happened. This prompted me to research a little more on the population of Belize as "witch burning" type hysteria seems unusual for South American Mestizos.

If I knew about that story surely McAfee was aware of it too! What was the man thinking?

ABC News has obtained an exclusive copy of the complaint against McAfee, which Faull wrote on behalf of the neighborhood and filed with local officials last month.

"The residents and visitors of the Mata Grande Subdivision and surrounding properties petition [local authorities] to address 3 issues affecting our safety, health and tourism," says the complaint. "These problems are all at the residence of John McAfee."

The petition charges that security guards on McAfee's property "walk around with shotguns at night and up and down the beach . . . They have been known to shine spotlights right into peoples' eyes at night and act aggressively with their guns, chambering a bullet and nonsense such as this. People are scared to walk down the beach at night as a result. The tourists are terrified."

READ the complaint here.

The complaint also alleges that taxis and delivery trucks arrive at McAfee's house at all hours, and that "vicious dogs" on his property are running amok. "These animals get loose and run as a pack. Three residents have been bitten and three tourists have been attacked."

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/belize-murder-john-mcafee-tells-abc-news-innocent/story?id=17724057

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryJane 55
Back