Book released by Defense Atty Nov 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear Lord, Auntie Sue goes public again. She's been a central player in the Trust scam from the git go. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if she is railing against Nurmi's book as part of another killer-as-victim fundraising appeal.

In any case I wouldn't take her words at face value or assume they reflect what the killer might or might not have agreed to. She sure as heck doesn't know what she's talking about with Nurmi not listening to "experts" about the tape. What bunk.

Yet she calls Nurmi a pig? What does that make her?

Hearing #jodiarias phone calls led the DT 2 go 2 LV (behind her back) to interview a suitor for possible evidence they hid. Think he was #1

I THINK LV guy (living w/mama) was guy who helped #jodiarias w/fake letters. He gave up whatever he had but no use 2 her defense

Wasn't #1 Marc McGee? IIRC, he was identified in court as #1, but Juan kept exposing him. :thinking:

Or was it Gus Searcy? ... IIRC, he was the #1 witness (called as DT's first witness)

Oh dear Lord, Auntie Sue goes public again. She's been a central player in the Trust scam from the git go. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if she is railing against Nurmi's book as part of another killer-as-victim fundraising appeal.

In any case I wouldn't take her words at face value or assume they reflect what the killer might or might not have agreed to. She sure as heck doesn't know what she's talking about with Nurmi not listening to "experts" about the tape. What bunk.

BBM I agree. That tape was the only thing the defense experts had to work with?? What would they possibly have testified to without it? I sincerely doubt they were advising Nurmi not to introduce that tape. And to claim Nurmi was getting off on the testimony, oh my, she is something else.

Hearing #jodiarias phone calls led the DT 2 go 2 LV (behind her back) to interview a suitor for possible evidence they hid. Think he was #1

I THINK LV guy (living w/mama) was guy who helped #jodiarias w/fake letters. He gave up whatever he had but no use 2 her defense

Wasn't #1 Marc McGee? IIRC, he was identified in court as #1, but Juan kept exposing him. :thinking:

Or was it Gus Searcy? ... IIRC, he was the #1 witness (called as DT's first witness)

I don't know that Marc McGee ever met CMJA? I don't remember any testimony about him knowing her personally, just the victim?

BBM I agree. That tape was the only thing the defense experts had to work with?? What would they possibly have testified to without it? I sincerely doubt they were advising Nurmi not to introduce that tape. And to claim Nurmi was getting off on the testimony, oh my, she is something else.
Isn't this woman the one who found the phone with the recorded sex talk on it years later?

Some insight re: 2010 intrigue in the Maricopa Co Attorney’s office. Note who “tumbled” the reigning queen. Paul Ahler … The person who is now in the State AG’s office, asking for (under sealed motions) for sealed testimony from JA’s trial. (Note: The following article is date 9/23/2010; but Ahler joined the State AG’s office in March, 2007.

https://www.azag.gov/press-release/veteran-prosecutor-paul-ahler-joins-attorney-general’s-office

Not sure what’s up with that date discrepancy.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/elect...ty-attorney-lisa-aubuchon-firing-details.html

… A report detailing allegations against a deputy Maricopa County attorney fired Monday provides a window into the legal and political machinations of former County Attorney Andrew Thomas' office.

"The 130-page summary, obtained by The Arizona Republic through a public-records request, is culled from thousands of pages of interviews and observations by an independent investigator hired by interim County Attorney Rick Romley to review the actions of Deputy County Attorney Lisa Aubuchon.
……
On Sept. 8, Chief Deputy County Attorney Paul Ahler sent a "pre-termination" letter to Aubuchon that called for her imminent firing. The letter described key findings of the independent investigation, including:
��Filed a federal racketeering lawsuit that was "nothing more than a vehicle to intimidate, retaliate and besmirch the reputations of judges, public officials and attorneys who had previously opposed positions taken by the Maricopa County Attorney's Office."
��Lodged a criminal complaint against a sitting judge solely to prevent him from holding a hearing that related to the prosecution of a county supervisor.
��Filed actions and presented cases to a grand jury without sufficient evidence. In one case, Ahler wrote, she "pled conclusions and used incendiary adjectives" to make her case.
��Pursued an investigation into the construction of the county's court building even after a judge ruled the County Attorney's Office had a conflict of interest in that investigation. The judge who made the ruling became the subject of the criminal and racketeering complaints.
��Refused to cooperate with coworkers and intimidated a detective and his commander who balked at swearing to the complaint against the judge.
��Showed poor judgment by asking who the Board of Supervisors might appoint to succeed Thomas during an interview with a member of the board who thought he was going to be charged with criminal offenses.
Ahler said Aubuchon's "actions brought discredit to county service," and he alleged that she "misused the awesome power of the prosecutor's office."
In a three-page letter, Aubuchon responded that the findings were unfounded. She characterized them as an attack on Thomas by "Romley's inept administration."
She was fired Monday.

… So. We have a contentious relationship between the Maricopa Attorneys’ office and the AZ State AG.

AAAaaand, we have the continuing investigation into Sheriff Joe. http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...seman-pleads-fifth-contempt-hearing/75549200/

More … http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...gger-seattle-operation-files-released-7804727

I have no idea as to the veracity of this news site. But. OMG.

“An eccentric billionaire secreting thumb drives of sensitive info through airport security in his socks.

Handwritten receipts for cash payments to Maricopa County Sheriff's Office confidential informant #1437, a.k.a. Dennis Montgomery, whose e-mail alias, "David Webb," also is fictional super-spy Jason Bourne's birth name.

And multiple timelines tying together former Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon, U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, and a multi-million-dollar government computer system code-named "the HAMMER" in a bizarre conspiracy, which only the most paranoid of minds would buy.

These are a few of the details from MCSO records related to Sheriff Joe Arpaio's cloak-and-dagger operation in Seattle, where three investigators under Arpaio's command partnered with an ex-CIA subcontractor on an operation that sought to expose the CIA's harvesting of the personal information of 150,000 county residents, or detail an absurd, nonexistent plot to take down Sheriff Joe, or both.

The records have been entered as exhibits in the ongoing federal contempt trial of Arpaio and four of his current and former underlings. Recently they were made public by the plaintiffs in the underlying civil rights case, Melendres v. Arpaio, after federal Judge G. Murray Snow told the parties in open court that the documents could be released to the press.”

Okie dokie. MAAAaaabeeee. AZ AG’s criminal investigation vis a vis Arias… has nothing to do with Her Genius. IDK. (Although I still believe KN’s “I hate JA,” book is part of it. Somehow. Can someone pass me tin-foil hat?)

IMO, the criminal investigation has to do with Sheriff Joe. IMO, IMO.

Trying to say this as succinctly as I can, and hope to be told -- no, that's absurd.

I'm connecting the dots of Nurmi's many motions etc. about excessive publicity denying her a fair trial with her appellate attys twice suggesting that the COA be disqualified because excessive publicity led to an appellate judge discussing her case before her appeal was heard , plus her attorneys going after JM and his book , again on the basis of excessive publicity potentially denying her the right to an untainted hypothetical retrial, and right on cue comes Kieffer, the DT's mouthpiece , with an article about how social media led to "over involved" trial watchers attempting to influence her juries, and now, this.....odd, over the top book by Nurmi.

Translated, any possibility that all this is about a strategy to try to win a new trial based on some novel federal appeal about the saturation of social media coverage denying a defendant due process?
Nurmi's argument that media coverage denied her a fair trial is weak to begin with. He provides no details or specific evidence of that - the professed reluctance of certain defense witnesses to testify was dealt with by existing court rules, and they made the free choice not to testify.

It makes no sense for him to now be upping the ante by publishing his own book and in effect trying to create a self-fulfilling prophesy, particularly since the trial is over and his book can't have any effect on it. If you think he's trying to effect the appeals process, appeals have to do with trial-related issues, not anything that happens afterwards that was not originally relevant.

Well, the criminal case the AG is building definitely has SOMETHING to do with JA's trial; why else would the AG's Criminal Division put in a sealed motion for the release of sealed testimony from the trial?

Been thinking about the timing and topic of KN’s book in relation to the Criminal investigation that’s underway, an investigation evidently prompted by Sheriff Joe’s report on JA’s time in his “house.” (IIRC, the possibility of criminal charges arising from the info in that report is the reason it has not been released.)

One tweet about the book references both def and pros listening to JA’s jailhouse telephone conversations, and hearing her “scams.” KN (from tweet) surprised these weren’t played in court. Maybe? This book is a way for KN to distance himself from whatever the AG’s office has up its sleeve. If JA talked directly to, say, her PI or even MDLR about manipulating evidence/testimony … and somebody did JA’s bidding … I can see how that might result in criminal charges. And I can see why KN might be worried about getting contaminated in the resulting fallout. Through the book, he can distance himself from JA’s shenanigans.

Just a thought.

He wouldn't need the book to do that. He can present his case directly to the investigators, in private. The book, in and of itself, doesn't provide any kind of defense since he could lie in a book as easily as in person. If investigators start looking at him for his involvement, he'll still have to present them with evidence of his innocence directly, book or no book.

Oh, I think Sue and everybody else on Jodi's team were all in favor of Nurmi playing that tape -- until it backfired on them. If you recall, Nurmi wanted to play only selected excerpts from the tape but Juan argued to play the whole thing, and won. In fact, that was, I believe, the only time we saw Jodi actually cry. NOW, of course, it's all Nurmi's fault.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

He wouldn't need the book to do that. He can present his case directly to the investigators, in private. The book, in and of itself, doesn't provide any kind of defense since he could lie in a book as easily as in person. If investigators start looking at him for his involvement, he'll still have to present them with evidence of his innocence directly, book or no book.

I agree. The book is only a defense in the "public" eye. I posted some info re: the screwed up "relationship" between Maricopa County Attorneys Office; Sheriff Joe; and the State AG. IMO, KN's book IS an attempt to distance himself ... but, given my research, that distance is less about JA and more about Sheriff Joe. IMO. IMO.

Nurmi's argument that media coverage denied her a fair trial is weak to begin with. He provides no details or specific evidence of that - the professed reluctance of certain defense witnesses to testify was dealt with by existing court rules, and they made the free choice not to testify.

It makes no sense for him to now be upping the ante by publishing his own book and in effect trying to create a self-fulfilling prophesy, particularly since the trial is over and his book can't have any effect on it. If you think he's trying to effect the appeals process, appeals have to do with trial-related issues, not anything that happens afterwards that was not originally relevant.

Sure --on the afterwards as not relevant to the original trial's outcome- directly. Indirectly, though, and hypothetically on point, as in: the publicity was so pervasive, excessive and malignant that social media attacks on the appellant and attorneys continued for months after the appellant's sentencing ...(toss in C's article, N and J's books, blahblahblah).

Yes, weak, if even applicable here. And maybe I've just chased another shadow down another rabbit hole. Entirely possible; this case has always had that affect on me. :D

Sure --on the afterwards as not relevant to the original trial's outcome- directly. Indirectly, though, and hypothetically on point, as in: the publicity was so pervasive, excessive and malignant that social media attacks on the appellant and attorneys continued for months after the appellant's sentencing ...(toss in C's article, N and J's books, blahblahblah).

Yes, weak, if even applicable here. And maybe I've just chased another shadow down another rabbit hole. Entirely possible; this case has always had that affect on me. :D

If that's his argument, and the only proof he can try to come up with is to beat the hornet's nest in a particularly violent fashion with his own stick, while still not making clear how any of it has actually been harmful to her getting a fair trial,
it doesn't seem like much of a master plan.

Some insight re: 2010 intrigue in the Maricopa Co Attorney’s office. Note who “tumbled” the reigning queen. Paul Ahler … The person who is now in the State AG’s office, asking for (under sealed motions) for sealed testimony from JA’s trial. (Note: The following article is date 9/23/2010; but Ahler joined the State AG’s office in March, 2007.

https://www.azag.gov/press-release/veteran-prosecutor-paul-ahler-joins-attorney-general’s-office

Not sure what’s up with that date discrepancy.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/elect...ty-attorney-lisa-aubuchon-firing-details.html

… A report detailing allegations against a deputy Maricopa County attorney fired Monday provides a window into the legal and political machinations of former County Attorney Andrew Thomas' office.

"The 130-page summary, obtained by The Arizona Republic through a public-records request, is culled from thousands of pages of interviews and observations by an independent investigator hired by interim County Attorney Rick Romley to review the actions of Deputy County Attorney Lisa Aubuchon.
……
On Sept. 8, Chief Deputy County Attorney Paul Ahler sent a "pre-termination" letter to Aubuchon that called for her imminent firing. The letter described key findings of the independent investigation, including:
��Filed a federal racketeering lawsuit that was "nothing more than a vehicle to intimidate, retaliate and besmirch the reputations of judges, public officials and attorneys who had previously opposed positions taken by the Maricopa County Attorney's Office."
��Lodged a criminal complaint against a sitting judge solely to prevent him from holding a hearing that related to the prosecution of a county supervisor.
��Filed actions and presented cases to a grand jury without sufficient evidence. In one case, Ahler wrote, she "pled conclusions and used incendiary adjectives" to make her case.
��Pursued an investigation into the construction of the county's court building even after a judge ruled the County Attorney's Office had a conflict of interest in that investigation. The judge who made the ruling became the subject of the criminal and racketeering complaints.
��Refused to cooperate with coworkers and intimidated a detective and his commander who balked at swearing to the complaint against the judge.
��Showed poor judgment by asking who the Board of Supervisors might appoint to succeed Thomas during an interview with a member of the board who thought he was going to be charged with criminal offenses.
Ahler said Aubuchon's "actions brought discredit to county service," and he alleged that she "misused the awesome power of the prosecutor's office."
In a three-page letter, Aubuchon responded that the findings were unfounded. She characterized them as an attack on Thomas by "Romley's inept administration."
She was fired Monday.

… So. We have a contentious relationship between the Maricopa Attorneys’ office and the AZ State AG.

AAAaaand, we have the continuing investigation into Sheriff Joe. http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...seman-pleads-fifth-contempt-hearing/75549200/

More … http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...gger-seattle-operation-files-released-7804727

I have no idea as to the veracity of this news site. But. OMG.

“An eccentric billionaire secreting thumb drives of sensitive info through airport security in his socks.

Handwritten receipts for cash payments to Maricopa County Sheriff's Office confidential informant #1437, a.k.a. Dennis Montgomery, whose e-mail alias, "David Webb," also is fictional super-spy Jason Bourne's birth name.

And multiple timelines tying together former Phoenix Mayor Phil Gordon, U.S. Director of National Intelligence James Clapper, and a multi-million-dollar government computer system code-named "the HAMMER" in a bizarre conspiracy, which only the most paranoid of minds would buy.

These are a few of the details from MCSO records related to Sheriff Joe Arpaio's cloak-and-dagger operation in Seattle, where three investigators under Arpaio's command partnered with an ex-CIA subcontractor on an operation that sought to expose the CIA's harvesting of the personal information of 150,000 county residents, or detail an absurd, nonexistent plot to take down Sheriff Joe, or both.

The records have been entered as exhibits in the ongoing federal contempt trial of Arpaio and four of his current and former underlings. Recently they were made public by the plaintiffs in the underlying civil rights case, Melendres v. Arpaio, after federal Judge G. Murray Snow told the parties in open court that the documents could be released to the press.”

Okie dokie. MAAAaaabeeee. AZ AG’s criminal investigation vis a vis Arias… has nothing to do with Her Genius. IDK. (Although I still believe KN’s “I hate JA,” book is part of it. Somehow. Can someone pass me tin-foil hat?)

IMO, the criminal investigation has to do with Sheriff Joe. IMO, IMO.

One of the most likely possibilities yet.

And maybe there's a connection between whatever investigation into whomever and the fact his report on the killer's infractions hasn't been released yet, though promised back in April?

If that's his argument, and the only proof he can try to come up with is to beat the hornet's nest in a particularly violent fashion with his own stick, while still not making clear how any of it has actually been harmful to her getting a fair trial,
it doesn't seem like much of a master plan.

I see no master plan in play by anyone, whatever is going on. Her appellate attorneys are either needlessly antagonizing the entire COA, insulting Superior Court judges, and going after JM personally, half cocked, for no reason grounded in law or reason, OR they are breathtakingly incompetent, OR they have a strategy that only be speculated about, not least because no obvious legal or rational purpose for their poking leaps to mind when considering their little fountain of motions.

And then there is Nurmi, who is writing a book trashing his ex-client, a fairly major faux paux in the eyes of his peers and a further sullying of his reputation in the eyes of most trial watchers, both fans and "haters." What is he trying to achieve?

If AZL is correct and Nurmi sought and received her permission, why would she give it? She is not one to appreciate being "de-edified,' no? And Nurmi says she'll not receive a dime in profits? What is hers to gain in this?

It is all very odd.

"Blabbermouth defendants waive (give up) the confidentiality of lawyer-client communications when they disclose those statements to someone else (other than a spouse, because a separate privilege exists for spousal communications; most states also recognize a priest-penitent privilege). Defendants have no reasonable expectation of privacy in conversations they reveal to others."

I think Jodi's big mouth has sunk her ship again,

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/your-lawyers-duty-keep-things-confidential.html

I see no master plan in play by anyone, whatever is going on. Her appellate attorneys are either needlessly antagonizing the entire COA, insulting Superior Court judges, and going after JM personally, half cocked, for no reason grounded in law or reason, OR they are breathtakingly incompetent, OR they have a strategy that only be speculated about, not least because no obvious legal or rational purpose for their poking leaps to mind when considering their little fountain of motions.

And then there is Nurmi, who is writing a book trashing his ex-client, a fairly major faux paux in the eyes of his peers and a further sullying of his reputation in the eyes of most trial watchers, both fans and "haters." What is he trying to achieve?

If AZL is correct and Nurmi sought and received her permission, why would she give it? She is not one to appreciate being "de-edified,' no? And Nurmi says she'll not receive a dime in profits? What is hers to gain in this?

It is all very odd.
I find it hard to believe she gave permission, unless she was misled about the content, but it seems that could easily backfire on Nurmi.

Nurmi said she is not getting a dime from the book, but could he have given her a lump sum in advance? That also seems unlikely because their relationship seems so antagonistic. A cooperative venture with Nurmi in which she gets trashed in public for money, particularly by Nurmi, seems very unlikely.

Acting without her permission seems equally bizarre. While it may satisfy Nurmi's need to pay her back for keeping him on the case, it also makes him look petty and unprofessional.

This case is so packed full of strange characters, from the killer herself, to her kool-aid drinking supporters, and her slimy defense 'experts' and attorneys...

But it's just doubly strange that Nurmi, after railing for years against the media circus feeding frenzy, should show up at the fire with a 55 gallon drum of gasoline...WTF!

I find it hard to believe she gave permission, unless she was misled about the content, but it seems that could easily backfire on Nurmi.

Nurmi said she is not getting a dime from the book, but could he have given her a lump sum in advance? That also seems unlikely because their relationship seems so antagonistic. A cooperative venture with Nurmi in which she gets trashed in public for money, particularly by Nurmi, seems very unlikely.

Acting without her permission seems equally bizarre. While it may satisfy Nurmi's need to pay her back for keeping him on the case, it also makes him look petty and unprofessional.

This case is so packed full of strange characters, from the killer herself, to her kool-aid drinking supporters, and her slimy defense 'experts' and attorneys...

But it's just doubly strange that Nurmi, after railing for years against the media circus feeding frenzy, should show up at the fire with a 55 gallon drum of gasoline...WTF!

The common denominator is having had contact with the killer. Maybe the simplest explanation is having to deal with her drives everyone stark raving mad. :D

Sheriff Arpaio and SECURUS related investigation by AG?

In 2014 Arpaio instituted a policy of visitation to Estrella by video chat only. the contract was with Securus, the company now being sued in a federal civil rights lawsuit, and the company recently hacked. Whether hacked from inside or outside the company, the hacker sent investigative journal "The Intercept" a database containing over 70 million phone records of prisoners' phone calls from 37 States, as well as links to downloadable sound taping of the calls.

Allegations have been made that at least 14, 000 of those calls are illegal recordings of conversations between inmates and their attorneys. The database includes records from December 2011 through the spring of 2014.

Estrella's contract with Securus includes a provision that the sheriff's office receive 10 percent of the monthly gross revenue of the calls if at least 8000 calls are made per month. That percentage increases to 20 percent after 2.6 million dollars revenue has been raked in.

That used to be called a kickback. Now it is termed a contract "incentive." Sheriff Joe makes a profit on each inmate's each call. In 2014 a Securus call cost $12.95 for 20 minutes.

Securus, BTW, is very flexible about providing those incentives; some states receive up to 42% of the revenue generated by Securus calls.

Sheriff Joe's contract with Securus includes all of the company's most intrusive bells and whistles , including Threads, a data mining option, and an upgrade (not in basic service) called Secure Call Platform, a call monitoring and recording feature.

The hacked records analyzed by the Intercept indicate that at minimum, this is the info stored for each inmate call:

Phone # of external caller, date, time and duration of call, and a URL link to the recorded call itself.

The federal civil rights lawsuit against Securus is being brought by the Austin Lawyers Guild and a handful of co-plaintiffs.

The lawsuit includes allegations that prosecutors listen into inmate calls and did not share information they obtained from the calls with defense counsel during discovery, instead withholding the information to gain tactical advantage during trial.

Conclusion- so many possible angles to investigate, if the AG is, and while some don't include the killer (additional kickbacks from Securus, etc), the fact that the AG needs access to sealed trial records suggest the investigation does involve her or persons in contact with her one way or another, and possibly in contact via Securus.

One slight indication that Securus might be an involved target of investigation is that unreleased report by Sheriff Joe of her infractions, triggered in large part because people were so pissed at her seemingly unlimited - and unmonitored- access to Securus video calls...

ETA. Can't cut and paste links from my phone, but the article is:

Not So Securus, The Intercept. 11/11/2015

"Blabbermouth defendants waive (give up) the confidentiality of lawyer-client communications when they disclose those statements to someone else (other than a spouse, because a separate privilege exists for spousal communications; most states also recognize a priest-penitent privilege). Defendants have no reasonable expectation of privacy in conversations they reveal to others."

I think Jodi's big mouth has sunk her ship again,

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/your-lawyers-duty-keep-things-confidential.html
She was on the phone a lot while she was in Estrella, but I got the impression that most of that was rallying her supporters and scamming money from them. I suppose it's possible she let lose about her defense strategy but that doesn't seem in character. It seems she always played specific roles to specific people, and was never inclined to reveal much truth about herself.

Sheriff Arpaio and SECURUS related investigation by AG?

In 2014 Arpaio instituted a policy of visitation to Estrella by video chat only. the contract was with Securus, the company now being sued in a federal civil rights lawsuit, and the company recently hacked. Whether hacked from inside or outside the company, the hacker sent investigative journal "The Intercept" a database containing over 70 million phone records of prisoners phone calls from 37 States, as well as links to downloadable records sound taping of the calls.

Allegation have been made that at least 14000 of those calls are illegal recordings of conversations between inmates and their attorneys. The database includes records from December 2011 through the spring of 2014.

Estrella's contract with Securus includes a provision that the sheriff's office receive 10 percent of the monthly gross revenue of the calls if at least 8000 calls are made per month. That percentage increases to 20 percent after 2.6 million dollars revenue has been raked in.

That used to be called a kickback. Now it is termed a contract "incentive." Sheriff Joe makes a profit on each inmate's each call. In 2014 a Securus call cost $12.95 for 20 minutes.

Securus, BTW, is very flexible about providing those incentives; some states receive up to 42% of the revenue generated by Securus calls.

Sheriff Joe's contract with Securus includes all of the companies most intrusive bells and whistles , including Threads, a data mining option.
Could Nurmi have gotten hacked copies of his own conversations with the defendant? In spite of the illegality of the hack itself, could he use the fact that they were publically available as an excuse to negate attorney-client privilege?

It's bizarre and slimy, but this is Nurmi...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela