Bosma Murder Trial 01.18.16 - Jury selection process commences

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For all of these reasons, I wonder why a change of venue was never formally requested? Or was it and I missed it? DP certainly threatened it when he was the acting attorney albeit for different reasons. I'm sure the Hamilton/Ancaster area is rather "small town" and many people would have connections to the key players. Certainly more so than the GTA.

The one thing we can rely on IMO is the honesty of the jury pool. It's obvious that no one is willing to take any chances with a conflict of interest in this trial.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/c...ct-says-police-damaging-chance-for-fair-trial

If a change of venue was requested, it wasn't permitted obviously. I'm thinking it wasn't requested.

A pretrial outlines the course the trial will take. It often deals with issues such as change of venue applications, severance of charges, admissibility of evidence and witness lists. A publication ban is currently in effect on the case preventing the reporting of most everything that will happen during the pretrial.

http://m.thespec.com/news-story/5943328-judge-in-tim-bosma-murder-case-steps-down

I agree with with the bold part of your comment Kamille. People want to see justice for Tim and I cannot see anyone willing to risk sabotaging the trial. JMO

...need a bit of an update ;-)
I remember DM's initial lawyer had quit I believe (or DM cut him free?) Can anyone comment on the reputation and scouting report of each co-accused respective lawyers and predicted strategies they may use??....just trying to gauge a feel for the defense lawyers approach, do they join forces for the co-accused or go hard at the blame game against each other??...I'm thinking the latter in this twisted case....rest in peace Mr Bosma, rest in peace

There has been no official explanation to the public yet as to why DP is no longer on DM's defense team. I'm sure it will be announced in due time.

I suspect the latter also, throwing each other under the bus. JMO.

Even though the potentials have been whittled down to those who can serve, this process is expected to take a lot longer. People today who agreed to serve were asked to come back Friday. If they don’t find a full panel, then next week a whole new pool of jurors may be called upon to start this process over again

http://www.chch.com/jury-selection-day-3/

Judge Goodman is a no nonsense judge and good to know he is following up with the no show potential jurors. MOO.

Just like the last two days of jury selection, some people appeared to have ignored their summons and weren't present in the courtroom.

They won't be off the hook, however — Justice Goodman has instructed the sheriff to track those people down and bring them before the court in February to explain their absence.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...millard-smich-during-jury-selection-1.3412009

2elxcar.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...millard-smich-during-jury-selection-1.3412009

Nicole Martin ‏@nmartinCHCH 4h4 hours ago
2nd phase of jury selection for the #TimBosma murder trial begins today in #HamOnt @morninglive @CHCHNews

Nicole Martin ‏@nmartinCHCH 3h3 hours ago
Accused killers, Dellen Millard and Mark Smich have arrived at the courthouse for 2nd phase of jury selection @morninglive #TimBosma trial

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 2h2 hours ago Hamilton, Ontario
I'm back in court today for the 2nd phase of jury selection in the #TimBosma case. Follow along for updates. #HamOnt #sc

Much of the proceedings will be under a publication ban, so I can't share as much as it happens. #hamont #sc #TimBosma

For the first time in jury selection, Tim's mom, dad and sister are here to watch. #HamOnt #TimBosma

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 2h2 hours ago
Over 100 people in jury pool this morning. Courtroom is totally packed - some standing in the back right now. #HamOnt #TimBosma

Nicole Martin ‏@nmartinCHCH 2h2 hours ago
110 prospective jurors are onto phase 2 of the selection process today. Another 110 questioned tomorrow. #TimBosma trial @CHCHNews

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 2h2 hours ago
"We're gonna need a bunch of chairs," courtroom constable says. They've been handling numbers well so far. #HamOnt #TimBosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 19m19 minutes ago
Lunch break at #TimBosma trial. Four jurors selected so far. #Millard #Smich watch the selection closely

I am new to following a trial closely. This one hits close to home as many friends of mine are close friends of the Bosma family. I have seen firsthand the effects that this crime has had on those who knew Tim. I was on here back a lot when all this happened but haven't spent much time on this board in the last couple years. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if all the jurors are picked by the end of tomorrow does the trial still not start until Feb.1? I didn't realize they would start picking jurors today I thought they had other jurors still coming in next week? If someone could clarify this for me I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 19m19 minutes ago
Lunch break at #TimBosma trial. Four jurors selected so far. #Millard #Smich watch the selection closely

I am new to following a trial closely. This one hits close to home as many friends of mine are close friends of the Bosma family. I have seen firsthand the effects that this crime has had on those who knew Tim. I was on here back a lot when all this happened but haven't spent much time on this board in the last couple years. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if all the jurors are picked by the end of tomorrow does the trial still not start until Feb.1? I didn't realize they would start picking jurors today I thought they had other jurors still coming in next week? If someone could clarify this for me I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

I think if there isn't a full jury with alternate by tomorrow, there will be another group of potential jurists called in next week. See the video here: http://www.chch.com/jury-selection-continues-in-the-bosma-murder-trial/

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 12m12 minutes ago
And juror #6 being sworn in now. #TimBosma @CHCHNews

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 5m5 minutes ago
Jurors so far include 4 women & 2 men & all appear to be between 35&65 years old. #TimBosma @CHCHNews

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 30m30 minutes ago
Seven jurors now sworn in for #TimBosma trial. Now 5 women, 2 men; no one under 35, by looks. @CHCHNews

Ann Brocklehurst ‏@AnnB03 8h8 hours ago
Tim's parents Mary + Hank Bosma are at courthouse as we wait for 2nd phase of jury selection process in trial of Dellen Millard, Mark Smich

Ann Brocklehurst ‏@AnnB03 8h8 hours ago
I'm thinking once the trial is over Justice Goodman needs to come to Toronto and sort out the jury selection process. It's a complete mess

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 17m17 minutes ago
Juror number 8 has been chosen. #Bosma

Justice Goodman seems to be keeping jury selection of schedule. Actually seems like he's ahead of schedule. I wonder if we might just see the trial start on Monday the 25th, instead of February 1st. :thinking:

Susan wasn't in the courtroom today.
Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3h3 hours ago
Susan Clairmont Retweeted VO
I'll keep you posted. Working on a #Bosma-related column that has taken me out of the court. I'll be back though.

Justice Goodman seems to be keeping jury selection of schedule. Actually seems like he's ahead of schedule. I wonder if we might just see the trial start on Monday the 25th, instead of February 1st. :thinking:

No, I don't think so. Feb 1 sounds like a firm start date regardless of how fast jury selection goes. (They are halfway done now and could wrap up tomorrow, I guess)

Hmm so there will be 16 jurors and not the 14 earlier claim. I wonder if there will be jury selection tomorrow. I know once the trial starts, court will be held Monday to Thursday.

Also I wonder if those alternate jurors will sit through the whole trial and then be excused when it's time for the jurors to deliberate or if the alternates will be let go once the trial starts? I always thought they kept all jurors until deliberations started, but in MR's trial, alternates were excused before the trial started. MOO.

Eight jurors have been chosen for the trial of two men charged with first-degree murder in connection with the death of Ancaster. Ont's Tim Bosma.

The eight people chosen represent half of a jury that will include 14 people and two alternates.

For the first time, members of Bosma's family were in the courtroom to watch. They sat in the back, far away from the two accused, sitting in the prisoner's box.

Bosma's widow Sharlene was not in the courtroom.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...rors-chosen-for-millard-smich-trial-1.3413807

I read somewhere that Sharlene isn't attending due to being a witness.

If you look at the tweets (how many hours ago) from a few of the reporters in the courtroom, it appears it took approximately one hour per juror of questioning before they were chosen and sworn it. So doing the math so to speak, looks like they are going to need another day or two to finish up choosing the remaining eight. JMO and guesstimation.

I read somewhere that Sharlene isn't attending due to being a witness.

Correct. After SB is finished as a witness, she will be able to sit in the courtroom if she chooses. I suspect the Crown will call her to the stand first or second. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat