Bosma Murder Trial 02.09.16 - Day 6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO a "burner" phone isn't something most law-abiding citizens even think of. You buy a burner phone to protect your identity.....so unless you are wearing a tin-foil hat, usually means you are doing something illegal that you don't want anyone to be able to trace back to you.
IMO, it's not unusual for young people to have to deal on a "pay as you go" or "pay in advance" cell plans- or be under a relatives cell phone plan. There's only one real "burner phone" -the one that DM's own phone seemed to be travel buddies with. A phone that "someone" had registered to a bogus name with an address of a school and a phone that seemed to be DM's "go to" device when he was arranging to test drive trucks. All the other phones have real people behind them. MOO

I'm curious... if any of you posting/reading were, let's say, for example, the ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend of someone now on trial for murder - and you knew your name was going to be revealed in court... would you leave all your old SM accounts up and running? :thinking:

I'm curious why innocent people would have to close down all their social media accounts? Aren't people like WS members supposed to respect and not sleuth those who are not charged with a crime? Is this a Geoge Orwell novel where guilt by association is all that is needed to ruin someone's life?

There are some elements to this part of the story that don't add up to me.

First of all, it seems everyone in Ontario knew TB was missing and was looking for him, except for the York Regional Police? Why wasn't the officer already looking for Tim, this testimony makes it seem like they were unaware that it related to a missing person report until later.

I get what you mean. But they can't just search because they are wondering if there's relation. They (YRP) weren't aware of all the hangar and DM happenings like the Hamilton Police. In a perfect world, you'd think that all these bodies of law would be in contact with one another but it just doesn't happen like that.

But not so effective that he came forward until after DM was contacted by police. Personally I don't see anything heroic in coming forward after the fact, to me that just sounds like someone trying to cover their own butt.

My opinion only.

I don't know that AJ was even trying to be "heroic" at all. I think he was rightfully creeped out, took some time to try and figure out what this might mean for his and his family's safety, and at the end of the day did the right thing because it was the right thing to do. Could he have called LE sooner and told them where the truck was? Sure, but he didn't and none of that matters now.

moo.

I personally didn't see AJ's action as "heroic." I see AJ as a man who wanted to protect his family and had a healthy respect for self-preservation (which we may or may not agree with, but can hopefully understand). However, that he contacted Crimestoppers indicated to me that he had at least had a conscience.

"Trying to cover their own butt..." - In AJ's case, I can't really blame him for waiting until it was clear the police was looking for DM (is this accurate? not sure about timeline). But since the police did such a quick and thorough job of tracking DM, I don't think we'll ever know if AJ would have come forward earlier or later in the month. His motives for calling it in may be irrelevant, but at the end of the day, he voluntarily reported to the police rather than deliberately stayed on the down low like CN or his son-in-law. JMO :)

I'm curious why innocent people would have to close down all their social media accounts? Aren't people like WS members supposed to respect and not sleuth those who are not charged with a crime? Is this a Geoge Orwell novel where guilt by association is all that is needed to ruin someone's life?

My point was, if you were connected to a high profile murder case, it would seem like you'd want to protect your privacy, and that of your family, friends, kids, etc., knowing your name was going to be released in court. But these days, for whatever reason, many young people tend to not value their privacy and keep everything out in the open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966