Bosma Murder Trial 05.18.16 - Day 51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it is hilarious. My husband said between laughter, "Websleuthers are writing the lawyers' scripts", lol.

They'd be fools not to peek into our conversations!

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 51s51 seconds ago
"Let's not worry about punctuation and grammar, these are officers working a homicide case," Sachak says. #TimBosma #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
Smich says officer's notes are "very confusing."

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 1m1 minute ago
Smich is confused by his mother's statement. "It might not be the highest calibre of the English language," Sachak says.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 35s35 seconds ago
Smich doesn't believe he told his mother he wouldn't get the Cadillac after Millard was arrested. #TimBosma

Colin ButlerVerified account ‏@ColinButlerCBC 1m1 minute ago
Smich is review his moms police statement from the night Millard was arrested. #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 1m1 minute ago
Sachak asks: "did you tell your mom that after Dell got arrested, you wouldn't get the car?" #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 54s54 seconds ago
Smich doesn't think he told his mom that.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 2m2 minutes ago
Smich says he wouldn't have used those words. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 27s27 seconds ago
Smich says Cadillac was going to be for Marlena because he didn't have his license.

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
Smich says the conversation about the car would've been a "long time ago" and Meneses would have been the one to drive the car. #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 51s52 seconds ago
Sachak suggests again that the Cadillac was going to be his pay off after their year of scoping trucks. #Bosma

Smich says no, he didn't have a license. The Cadillac was going to go to Marlena when she got her license. #Bosma

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 45s46 seconds ago
Sachak again says that the Cadillac was going to be a payment for Smich. He says no, if anything, Meneses would be the one to drive #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 2m2 minutes ago
Sachak says he helped Dell for the big payoff - the Cadillac. #TimBosma

Up until then he'd get "pennies," "pizza, video games, cigarettes." from Millard for helping scope trucks to steal.

Sachak says Smich knew the Cadillac would be his "big perk" at the end of the successful theft of a truck. Smich disagrees again. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 25s25 seconds ago
Sachak suggests he was promised a Cadillac. "No sir," Smich says. #Bosma

***To be fair, he could have said to his Mom "now I'll never get a recording studio or an apt" Why is he fighting this? That Cadillac was just one of the many promises. He could have gone with that. Foolish defence.

MOO

They'd be fools not to peek into our conversations!

Someone asked a few (days) threads ago if lawyers or their assistants read this site. Someone suggested maybe a law clerk or a student intern.
Either it's a yes, or it's a very strange coincidence.

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 2m2 minutes ago
"You are contriving, concocting and creating a story where every chance you deflect blame from yourself." Millard's lawyer #Bosma @CTVNews

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 1m1 minute ago Toronto, Ontario
Sachak: The only person who is never at fault, is YOU on the stand? Smich: No, that's not true. #Bosma #HamOnt

"Daly is at fault, Marlena is at fault, Mr. Dell is at fault, the only person not at fault is you on the stand."

Lol, a Websleuther said that last night too.

It's true. IMO

"You saw a big perk, a Cadillac, at the end of a successful theft of a truck," Sachak says. Smich says that's "absolutely incorrect."
by Adam Carter 12:22 PM

Smich agrees Millard was anxious over time for not being able to get a truck.
by Adam Carter 12:23 PM

Sachak says on May 6, Millard's equity and assets would have been over $1M. Smich says he doesn't know about what he owned or what he was in debt to.
by Adam Carter 12:24 PM

"He was not that desperate, he could get a $20,000 truck at any moment at any time," Sachak says.
by Adam Carter 12:24 PM

Someone asked a few (days) threads ago if lawyers or their assistants read this site. Someone suggested maybe a law clerk or a student intern.
Either it's a yes, or it's a very strange coincidence.

Oh for sure, it would be someone from the legal team, definitely not the lawyers themselves. I worked in a law office briefly as a summer student, and that would definitely be a lower-level task.

BBM In my opinion, a lot of the criticism is driven by the absolutely ridiculous statements he is making such as "did you tape the spade to your forehead?" "Did you wake up at the Bosma's house?" He certainly has a difficult job but his level of professionalism is really what is irking me. MOO

That's part of it. But there's a whole lot of enjoyment at MS' mouthiness and people declaring it means Sachak is no good, or that MS is quicker than Sachak. Like someone pointed out in the previous thread, there is almost cheering for MS while there was completely disgust for CN doing the same thing on the stand.

Sachak says Smich would have trouble getting a job with a criminal record, he says it isn't impossible, and had an opportunity lined up in Calgary.
by Adam Carter 12:26 PM

Sachak says Millard wasn't frustrated about not getting the truck, he was enjoying these "scoping missions," as "pathetic as it sounds."
by Adam Carter 12:27 PM

"He didn't need to steal because needed money," Sachak says. "He's cheap," Smich says, and the court laughs.
by Adam Carter 12:28 PM

"Was Dellen Millard worth more than $20 K on May 6?" Sachak asks. Smich says yes, but he doesn't know about his debts.
by Adam Carter 12:29 PM

BBM In my opinion, a lot of the criticism is driven by the absolutely ridiculous statements he is making such as "did you tape the spade to your forehead?" "Did you wake up at the Bosma's house?" He certainly has a difficult job but his level of professionalism is really what is irking me. MOO

That is highlighting how ludicrous Smich's testimony is. He took a spade, and a gun on a bicycle and pedalled off into the forest to bury it somewhere but has absolutely no recollection of anything. How he carried the spade, how big it was, which way he went, how long it took, what he may have passed on the way, how deep he dug, how did he get home and so on. The references to 'magical forests' just highlight what a fairytale Smich's testimony actually is. He would remember something. If he was genuinely innocent and full of remorse, he'd be wracking his brains trying to come up with some kind of clue to help police locate that murder weapon. His memory is incredibly lucid when it is something that deflects guilt from him. But when it's something that might incriminate him, he can't remember one solitary thing. Huge great convenient black outs.

The longer the guy is on the stand the more I think he is guilty as hell. Just as culpable as his partner in crime. I just hope the State go after him in a way that DM's defence are unable to.

MOO

Colin ButlerVerified account ‏@ColinButlerCBC 2m2 minutes ago
Sachak suggests the reason for the delay was because they both couldn't drive. #Bosma

But upon completion of the truck theft, they would get the Cadillac from Millard, Sachak suggests. #Bosma

Smich says "what you're saying is incorrect" #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 2m2 minutes ago
Sachak says Smich said Millard was becoming "anxious" about scoping trucks. Smich said it had been a long time, long process. #Bosma

"He wasn't that desperate. He could get a $20,000 truck at any moment," Sachak says. #Bosma

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 1m1 minute ago
Millard's lawyer "Dell could get a 20k truck at anytime. He was worth way more than that." #Bosma @CTVNews

***And there it is. So why didn't he? Why did he plan for over a year to steal one? Even when his father was alive and he supposedly had the money?

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 2m2 minutes ago
Smich says he doesn't know about what he owned or what he was in debt to. #TimBosma #Bosma

Sachak suggests Smich on the other hand had no legitimate income, lived at home. Smich agrees he was broke and taking care of his mom #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 5m5 minutes ago
Smich disagrees he expected to get Cadillac after the theft of the diesel truck. "Dell and I would do criminal activities together."

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 4m4 minutes ago
"You said Dell was getting anxious in these scoping missions," Sachak says.

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 4m4 minutes ago
Millard was worth well over a million dollars at the time of his arrest, Sachak says Smich knew that.

***What you're "worth" is different from your cashflow. Say it MS. LOL

Pierce Lang ‏@piercelang_tv 2m2 minutes ago Hamilton, Ontario
Sachak now suggesting that DMs recent windfall (in '13) made it so he could easily afford a mere $20 000 truck. #Bosma @CogecotvHalton

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 1m1 minute ago
Sachak says Millard wasnt frustrated about not getting the truck, he was enjoying these "scoping missions" as "pathetic as it sounds" #Bosma

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 51s52 seconds ago
Millard's lawyer "As pathetic as it sounds... Dell loved stealing a tree or bobcat, doing missions... but he didn't need to steal." #Bosma

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 49s50 seconds ago
Sachak says "as pathetic as it sounds, he got a kick out of it," (re: Millard and scoping missions). #Bosma

***Whoa...now they are admitting it?

"He didn't need to steal because needed money," Sachak says. "He's cheap," Smich says, and the court laughs. #TimBosma #Bosma

He says Millard could've afforded plants etc that he stole. Smich says "he's cheap." #Bosma

"He's cheap," Smich says. #Bosma

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 2m2 minutes ago
Smich's answer: "He is cheap" about Millard. #Bosma @CTVNews Millard shakes head.

***I believe the word is "frugal". :floorlaugh:

I do sense that NS is making a BIG mistake here by dwelling on that fact that DM had money and didn't need a $20,000 truck.

It is clear by the evidence that he either "needed" or "wanted the truck." He left a trail, regardless of how much money he had in his bank account.

This rationale only makes sense if he is looking to get his client exonerated altogether, which isn't happening.

Sachak is still trying to illustrate Millard had the money, and didn't need to steal. Smich isn't really answering.
by Adam Carter 12:31 PM

"It was you Mr. Smich that got very desperate and anxious that this theft of a truck wasn't happening," Sachak says. Smich says that's incorrect.
by Adam Carter 12:32 PM

Sachak's allegation is that Smich wanted the robbery to happen so he could get paid, get the Cadillac and go to Calgary. "[Millard] was getting desperate because he needed to go for whatever reasons, but we'll stick to the one of the Baja race," Smich says.
by Adam Carter 12:33 PM

Sachak listing off all of Millard's assets. #Bosma

Sachak now listing all Millard's properties.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 2m2 minutes ago
Sachak asks again if he had $20,000. Smich says again, yes, but he doesn't know about his full financial situation. #Bosma

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 1m1 minute ago
Sachak asks what Smich had in his bank account then. Smich says he doesn't think he had one. No assets. No legitimate income. #Bosma

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 2m2 minutes ago Toronto, Ontario
Sachak: How much money did you have in your bank account on May 6? Smich: I didn't have a bank account. #Bosma #HamOnt

"It was you Mr. Smich that got very desperate and anxious that this theft of a truck wasn't happening," Sachak says. #TimBosma #Bosma

Smich says that's incorrect. #TimBosma #Bosma

"It was you who was getting anxious about stealing the truck," Sachak says Smich wanted Caddy as pymt to go for Calgary job

"No matter what ,you were going to engage in the robbery of a truck and get it," Sachak accuses. Smich disagrees.

Sachak suggests he was making sure he got his pay day and his Cadillac. Smich says that's not true. #Bosma

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
Smich says it was Millard who was "desperate" to get the truck. #Bosma

Sachak suggests it was him, w/ his lifestyle and financial difficulties and desire to move to Calgary who wanted to steal the truck. #Bosma

***So what did your client tell you about how it all went down Mr Sachak?

Smich mentions "other things" Millard wanted the truck for that he can't get into unless the court allows him. Sachak cautions him. Goodman says that's his job.
by Adam Carter 12:35 PM

Now taking lunch. Back at 1:50 p.m.
by Adam Carter 12:35 PM

Noooo, I want to hear about the "other things".

That is highlighting how ludicrous Smich's testimony is. He took a spade, and a gun on a bicycle and pedalled off into the forest to bury it somewhere but has absolutely no recollection of anything. How he carried the spade, how big it was, which way he went, how long it took, what he may have passed on the way, how deep he dug, how did he get home and so on. The references to 'magical forests' and so on just highlight what a fairytale Smich's testimony actually is. He would remember something. If he was genuinely innocent and full of remorse and so on, he'd be wracking his brains trying to come up with some kind of clue to help police locate that murder weapon. His memory is incredibly lucid when it is something that deflects guilt from him. But when it's something that might incriminate him, he can't remember one solitary thing. Huge great convenient black outs.

The longer the guy is on the stand the more I think he is guilty as hell. Just as culpable as his partner in crime. I just hope the State go after him in a way that DM's defence are unable to.

MOO

BBM Couldn't agree more. We have to be careful that we don't read too much into some people's comments that are focused on one specific part of the trial. I think Sachak is doing a horrible job for his client but nothing that has transpired has made me think for even a second that either of these two guys wasn't fully involved. If it made the difference between 25 year with no chance for parole or a much lessor sentence...I'd probably be up there tap dancing! Doesn't mean the good people the jury wouldn't see through it though. MOO

See you all at 1:50. If my cable technician shows up and I can't come back directly after lunch, I'll make a quick post for you, meterclicks.

Shannon Martin ‏@ShannonMartinTV 3m3 minutes ago Toronto, Ontario
Smich says Millard was desperate to get a truck, to race in Mexico #Bosma #HamOnt

Adam CarterVerified account ‏@AdamCarterCBC 3m3 minutes ago
"[Millard] was getting desperate because he needed to go for whatever reasons but we'll stick to the one of the Baja race" Smich says #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 4m4 minutes ago
Smich says it was Millard who was "desperate" to get the truck. #Bosma

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 3m3 minutes ago
"He wanted to go to Mexico," says Smich. Sachak tells Smich to stop playing games about what court will allow him to say...

***I guess NS doesn't like when MS tells more of his "truth" than NS is asking for?

molly hayesVerified account ‏@mollyhayes 3m3 minutes ago
Sachak stops him and cautions him. Justice Goodman jumps in. "I think that's my job," he says. We're taking the lunch break. #Bosma

Lisa Hepfner ‏@HefCHCHNews 3m3 minutes ago
Lunch break. #Bosma

Peter Akman ‏@PeterAkmanCTV 5m5 minutes ago
"Stop playing this game about if the court will allow you..." Judge steps in... "That's my job Mr. Sachak." #Bosma @CTVNews

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont 5m5 minutes ago
"Mr. Sachak, I think that's my job," says Justice Goodman....Jury dismissed for lunch. #Bosma

Now this is interesting. Have you ever wondered if this entire thing was an audition for the mafia? IMO

"Smich mentions "other things" Millard wanted the truck for that he can't get into unless the court allows him."

I'm thinking the desperate need for an ancient boat of a Cadillac that would basically need an IV of gasoline at all times, to drive to Calgary, is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danielrosini