Bosma Murder Trial 05.31.16 - Day 56 - Closing Arguments Begin

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, that was a lousy closing argument.

No real surprises except the confirmation Millard did have the satchel on him that night. Didn't change my mind in any way about his guilt.

There are many variables. Even people who think they hear "every" gun shot, probably don't, but they are more hypervigilant when it comes to gunfire than the average person so they notice it more, while other people can tune out a lot of background noise but be extremely tuned in to sounds that are important to them, whether these be pager beeps, baby monitors or something else. I'm in a very rural neighbourhood, not that far from the area in question, and there's a lot of noise from the (very busy) road, though it gets quiet at night for the most part. Still, most people around here get used to loud bangs of blowouts, trucks backfiring or dropping/dragging something, and other sharp, loud, anomalous sounds.

I hear gunfire on a regular basis, usually after dusk, and always coming from back in the bush or swamp. People have set up their own target shooting ranges etc., probably a bylaw violation (especially at night) but not criminal. Dogs can however get used to the sound. Not long ago I had a near neighbour (a renter, since moved) who let a posse of his friends come over and shoot rifles on the back lot, maybe 300 m from my property line. At first my dogs were pretty freaked out, but within a few weeks they totally ignored it. Fireworks, though, like on Victoria Day, are a different story. Dogs hate those (probably smell the stuff too).

Another neighbour who lives nearby says he hasn't heard the gunfire, either at night or during the day, or if he did, he didn't notice. Since the tenant with the rifle-toting buddies moved away, I haven't heard any from that direction, and only occasionally from the swamp. So the frequency of guns being fired in the country probably has a natural ebb and flow by location, population and time. Some years you get a lot, others none, and some people (and dogs) are more tuned into it than others.

AFAIK Bullmann wasn't asked on the stand about whether he regularly heard gunfire in the area, but likely he could have heard the sounds of the gun club on Alberton Road (I've heard it), and someone pointed out a silencer could have been used though it would likely have had to be smuggled into Canada by D the F. You can only draw very limited conclusions from what people didn't see or hear, though, because of the well-documented existence of inattentional blindness, which I posted about before, that means we tend not to notice even very important things happening around us if our attention is on something else.

Welcome back!!!! You have been missed!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are many variables. Even people who think they hear "every" gun shot, probably don't, but they are more hypervigilant when it comes to gunfire than the average person so they notice it more, while other people can tune out a lot of background noise but be extremely tuned in to sounds that are important to them, whether these be pager beeps, baby monitors or something else. I'm in a very rural neighbourhood, not that far from the area in question, and there's a lot of noise from the (very busy) road, though it gets quiet at night for the most part. Still, most people around here get used to loud bangs of blowouts, trucks backfiring or dropping/dragging something, and other sharp, loud, anomalous sounds.

I hear gunfire on a regular basis, usually after dusk, and always coming from back in the bush or swamp. People have set up their own target shooting ranges etc., probably a bylaw violation (especially at night) but not criminal. Dogs can however get used to the sound. Not long ago I had a near neighbour (a renter, since moved) who let a posse of his friends come over and shoot rifles on the back lot, maybe 300 m from my property line. At first my dogs were pretty freaked out, but within a few weeks they totally ignored it. Fireworks, though, like on Victoria Day, are a different story. Dogs hate those (probably smell the stuff too).

Another neighbour who lives nearby says he hasn't heard the gunfire, either at night or during the day, or if he did, he didn't notice. Since the tenant with the rifle-toting buddies moved away, I haven't heard any from that direction, and only occasionally from the swamp. So the frequency of guns being fired in the country probably has a natural ebb and flow by location, population and time. Some years you get a lot, others none, and some people (and dogs) are more tuned into it than others.

AFAIK Bullmann wasn't asked on the stand about whether he regularly heard gunfire in the area, but likely he could have heard the sounds of the gun club on Alberton Road (I've heard it), and someone pointed out a silencer could have been used though it would likely have had to be smuggled into Canada by D the F. You can only draw very limited conclusions from what people didn't see or hear, though, because of the well-documented existence of inattentional blindness, which I posted about before, that means we tend not to notice even very important things happening around us if our attention is on something else.

All really good points. Saying Tim couldn't have been shot at the Book Rd. location because someone would have heard it, is pure baloney to me. They were inside a truck with the windows rolled up. The sound would be muffled a great deal and it likely wouldn't even have sounded like a gunshot. Even if someone in the area did hear it, they might not even have ever connected it to Tim at the time because unless I'm mistaken, it's just been during this trial that the Crown has stated they believe he was shot in that location.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 8h8 hours ago
Pillay says to kill for a truck "makes no sense at all." He says Crown has not proved its case and there are many unanswered questions.

I saw this tweet this morning and it has stuck out to me ever since.

IMO, killing never, ever makes sense. Plus, a lot of things DM did didn't make any sense. Stealing a wood chipper, stealing a random trailer with Corvette tires, stealing trees and plants.

DM illustrates perfectly something I have always believed "sometimes the smartest people do the stupidest things." He may be smart and CN may be smart (got into med school) but that doesn't make them infallible to doing things that "make no sense".

O/T where is Snooperduper? Haven't seen this poster for awhile. TIA

Pillay now talking about the demeanour of Millard and Smich at the Bosma home. Millard "instilled trust," he says. "He faced them, he was friendly."
by Adam Carter 9:53 AM

I just saw this when reading the tweets again and it really stands out to me. So Pillay saying DM "instilled trust" in the Bosmas and "was friendly", yet he really planned to steal this man's truck, is supposed to look good to the jury?? To me it makes DM look slimier.

I agree completely. Along with insisting there must be gunshot sounds and potentially making people immediately think of the Bobcat scenario with it's taped booms, and inviting the jury to compare his client with MS on the the heels of that awful quote about "what that family is going through", which made me immediate retch and compare his retchworthy client with a guy who has at least cleaned up and taken a couple of steps up behind bars, it was probably a tactical error. When you cause the exact opposite of what you want to leap into people's heads unbidden, well, fail.

"Mr. Smich's account conflicts with the evidence of five witnesses," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 4:05 PM

Smich says Smich's account conflicts with details from Rick Bullman (about the truck and the SUV coming out of the field), Wayne De Boer (about his face being covered), Christina Noudga (about speaking to her on May 10)
by Adam Carter 4:07 PM

Pillay says Smich called Noudga.
by Adam Carter 4:09 PM

One thing that is strange is that IIRC while Rick Bullman said he definitely saw 2 vehicles come out of the field, he adds that he then watched them cross over Trinity and continue on Book road heading west. However, According to the video footage at supersucker that most sides tend to agree on, the 2 vehicles would have been turning right and onto Trinity and continued past Supersucker. Hopefully nobody jumps all over me, but it makes me wonder (IMO only) If Bullman accidentally got that detail wrong, it's a question whether he got it wrong that Both Yukon and TBs truck pulled out together rather than MS version. Not to mention that when I've driven by that spot in my opinion only, I could see a (many point) turn around then followed by MS could possibly appear to be 2 pulling out of driveway.
The importance would be that Bullmans testimony contradicted MSs, but the last video footage contradicts part of Bullmans eyewitness reliability imo (and the huge issue of both vehicles in field speaking of TB already being dead vs MSs story of just switching vehicles.)

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 8h8 hours ago
Pillay says to kill for a truck "makes no sense at all." He says Crown has not proved its case and there are many unanswered questions.

I saw this tweet this morning and it has stuck out to me ever since.

IMO, killing never, ever makes sense. Plus, a lot of things DM did didn't make any sense. Stealing a wood chipper, stealing a random trailer with Corvette tires, stealing trees and plants.

DM illustrates perfectly something I have always believed "sometimes the smartest people do the stupidest things." He may be smart and CN may be smart (got into med school) but that doesn't make them infallible to doing things that "make no sense".

You forgot he cut a piece of support infrastructure out of the hanger to make more room. Guess he never really planned anything?

MOO

Tomorrow is do or die for MS. If anyone can sway opinion about MS or create reasonable doubt among jury members about MS's guilt it is TD. I am expecting TD's close to be passionate, dynamic and persuasive.

Having said that, TD does have a major challenge before him while trying to convince the jury that MS got in over his head with DM who was a bad influence on MS. TD will emphasize that the real devil walking up the driveway on May 6th was DM and that the wanna-be rapper, Say10, the genius was not expecting a murder. TD will be under enormous pressure tomorrow as he fights for MS, and I fully expect that TD is prepared to put up a formidable fight!

All MOO.

Quick Question - Do we know if MB is in court today to watch the proceedings?

One twitter follower of Susan Clairmont asked her that. Her response:

[video=twitter;737703499681566720]https://twitter.com/susanclairmont/status/737703499681566720[/video]

Jumping back here - regarding the comments on the silencer. I'm not really a gun person, but I know a trick for a "DIY Silencer".
One is an empty 2L bottle, the spout end held to the end of the barrel would muffle the sound significantly. I've never heard the difference myself and I know in context of the evidence, it would be highly unlikely that this method was used but I thought it's worth mentioning.

Jumping back here - regarding the comments on the silencer. I'm not really a gun person, but I know a trick for a "DIY Silencer".
One is an empty 2L bottle, the spout end held to the end of the barrel would muffle the sound significantly. I've never heard the difference myself and I know in context of the evidence, it would be highly unlikely that this method was used but I thought it's worth mentioning.

This is impossible! How do you fit a L bottle on an American gun. Ha ha ha.

Was anyone here at WS in court today? If so, is it difficult to get in, is it worth a try to attend?

O/T where is Snooperduper? Haven't seen this poster for awhile. TIA

I have wondered that too .... Snooperduper has been a great contributor of information for the past 3 years.

Did anyone hear anything surprising today? Does anyone believe that Pillay's close helped DM one iota?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nope. Heard it all before and expected what I heard. The letters and texts sealed it for me. There's nothing Millard's defence team can say that would sway my opinion at this point.

So far this close doesn't highlight all the reasons DM didn't plan the crime, it highlights that he was so sure his plan was infallible that he didn't think he needed to bother. MOO

I totally agree - it's not that he was dumb, it's that he was so cocky that he thought he could run his mouth without consequences

Or are they going to take back roads because there is less chance of anyone seeing anything suspicious? Which would account for the extra time getting to Bobcat. MOO

I don't know! I'm of the opinion that they took back roads because of MS's lack of license. Not that he cared to play by the law but an inexperienced driver would have found a highway daunting IMO. If MS has experience driving, it's driving in the suburbs and back roads, not high way.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members