Bosma Murder Trial 05.31.16 - Day 56 - Closing Arguments Begin

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only surprising thing was finally knowing that DM did have the satchel. Although that's not as much of as a surprise - just interesting that it was confirmed.

IMHO, this was an error on the part of SC. That tweet was right in the middle of when Pillay was talking about the Tumanenko test drive.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 12h12 hours ago
Palmieri &Tumanenko say contacted by "Evan," which is Millard's middle name that he "sometimes used." Court seeing old dating profile.

Shows Millard was not trying to conceal his identity. He used a satchel at Bosma residence, pulled out satchel in front of police later.

Satchel shows he wasn't trying to conceal identity. Also had Ambition tattoo exposed. "A powerful source of identification."

"The very small yet distinctive tattoo on Mr. Millard's left wrist" noticed by Tumanenko. Court seeing police photo of Millard's tattoos.

The same spot in the tweets from MH:

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes 9h9 hours ago
The Tumenenko test drive lasted an hour. That's a long time to be in someone's presence, Pillay says.

He wore short sleeves, jeans, a satchel. He was not trying to conceal his identity, Pillay says.

Satchels were part of his signature look.

If Millard intended to kill Tumenenko, there would have been something about an attempt to conceal his ID, he says.

SC also claims that the satchel tested positive for residue. I thought the satchel only had a blood spot on it that couldn't be tested for DNA.
xxxx
@susanclairmont was the satchel tested for residue?
Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 9h9 hours ago
Susan Clairmont Retweeted xxxx
Yes. Tested positive.

A good vacation book to read is Meyer Levin's fictionalized book about that case, Compulsion. It's gripping, and pretty well sticks to the facts of the case -- written as a novel in order to avoid lawsuits IIRC (U.S. libel laws differ from Canadian ones in important ways, and the fact that the story you write is true is not a protection there).

But while Loeb and Leopold thought they were geniuses, they actually were in the near-genius range intellectually, while there's no evidence whatever that DM or MS are anything but average in the IQ department. Both indeed may have learning issues, and the more I think about it, the more convinced I am that DM exhibits signs of fetal alcohol damage (no worries, it does not exculpate a person from criminal responsibility -- it's not a mental illness). It could go together with psychopathy, if he is diagnosed with that, or could be separate. MB would know, of course, and an fMRI could probably show typical areas of damage. DM's verbal prowess, so vastly superior to his completely moronic grip on finances, is a classic sign, as is his compulsive sexual promiscuity, his inability to plan realistically, to take consequences into account, to follow through on things ("executive function" in the jargon of the field), to make and keep friends of his own age, and on and on.

MS does not strike me as either psychopathic or FAS, just a common criminal type. The fact that he had been in trouble with the law from early days, despite a fairly strong family (apparently) and did poorly in school, may indicate learning disabilities or behaviour disorders in his early years, hard to know. It's not unusual for kids with LD to run into trouble with the law as early as elementary school, due to poor impulse control, running with the wrong crowd, feeling like failures due to academic struggles, and so on. Not an excuse, but social problems are very common among youngsters with LD. Programs like those of the Integra Foundation can help prevent them escalating. I don't know if any of this applies to MS, but if some does, he has a better chance of rehabilitation over the long term. For FAS or psychopathy, the prospects of significant change is slim to none.

I don't think that the lack of "executive function" is due to some functional disorder or a few pieces missing. It's just he never HAD TO. He never faced real problems in his life. Only CHALLENGES. The difference is that one can ignore a challenge, but not a problem.

It was all games for him. Or may be still is. I wouldn't be surprised the very least if he still is in denial, thinks it's some sort of a joke and at the end the judge is going to say "Ok, you didn't do so well this time, why don't you PLAY AGAIN"

For Smich, I tried to imagine at some point, how is it, to realize that you are 25 and you have to beg for pocket money, basically. You are still wearing children's clothes. A funny man. And there is this guy, just a couple of years older who got full pockets. He probably thought Millard is his ticket to change that. A mistake that ruined Smich's life.

In any case, the trial is not about their personalities but about the criminal act that the committed.

My only guess is that they needed a discrete area to stop. Oak Park Rd may not be that discrete, but it is a long, straight road with very little traffic at night and you can see well in advance if anyone's coming toward you. If they did in fact take the 403 through Brantford and exit at Paris Rd, Oak Park Rd is among the few side streets before you get to Paris. It could have been an impromptu decision to pull over and perhaps move the body into the truck bed. I dunno. IMO there are so many possible explanations and not enough evidence to say one way or the other. They were probably improvising and making decisions on the fly, so it just played out the way it did.

But why would they need to improvise and make decisions on the fly if they'd been planning it for over a year?

There is nothing about this that says they were following what they thought was a plan for a perfect murder, in my opinion.

That was exactly what Leopold and Loeb set out to do, believing that they had the intellect and planning to create a perfect murder. That was their entire motive. It was a game and a thrill for them.

IMO, the evidence presented in this trial does show that DM and MS planned not only to steal a truck, but, additionally, to commit a murder. By inference, because they made a plan to murder someone, their primary goal would be that they would never be caught for it. In that sense, a perfect murder.

Was their planning perfect? Not by a longshot. But in their minds, they likely thought it was.

Just as Leopold and Loeb did. But their plan wasn't perfect either, and evidence was collected, and they ended up pointing the finger at each other, just as DM and MS have.

Also, Leopold and Loeb shared a very close bond, as did DM and MS.

MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't believe it was ever suggested in court that he drew a box around his tattoo or magically changed the tiny lowercase letters to large capital letters, do you have a link for this, maybe I missed it?

Look up Igors testimony. He drew it on a board.

And NOTHING magical about a marker and applying it to skin.

I think Pillay is doing a pretty good job of knocking holes in Mark's story. But the problem is, I'm not sure he's knocking holes in his client's involvement.

He's not saying his client wasn't there and involved. He's saying his client didn't plan a murder and didn't pull the trigger, and IMO he's made some very good points.

Susan Clairmont - Hamilton Spectator: A dramatic closing argument at the Bosma trial but with a major flaw

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...rgument-at-bosma-trial-but-with-a-major-flaw/

"That was a heck of a close.

There was drama. Eloquence. Clarity and common sense. An impressive use of technology.

Ravin Pillay's closing address on Tuesday to the jury on behalf of his client, accused killer Dellen Millard, was among the best I've seen. His ability to steer the jurors through 16 weeks of evidence in a single day — and reshape it to his liking — was truly astounding, making me pause many times to reconsider issues I thought I had already decided."

There is nothing about this that says they were following what they thought was a plan for a perfect murder, in my opinion.

Just because they did a terrible job at covering everything up doesn't mean it wasn't planned imo. In MS and DM's mind they likely thought their plan was foolproof and they were invincible. Lots of murders are planned long in advance and still caught - these days with better DNA evidence and technology it's much more difficult to get away with something imo.

Pillay says if Millard was planning a murder, he would have ensured that the hangar was free for a couple of days to clean up.
by Adam Carter 11:06 AM

"He did not plan to kill anyone on May 6," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 11:06 AM

Less than an hour before the Bosma test drive, Millard is texting with Schlatman and doesn't say anything about not going to the hangar," Pillay says.
by Adam Carter 11:08 AM

bbm
No, he probably planned to kill someone on the 4th or 5th. DM (or shall we call him EM for Evan?) called the Bosma's on the 4th--Saturday and if I'm not mistaken, they put him off until Monday.

Susan Clairmont - Hamilton Spectator: A dramatic closing argument at the Bosma trial but with a major flaw

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...rgument-at-bosma-trial-but-with-a-major-flaw/

"That was a heck of a close.

There was drama. Eloquence. Clarity and common sense. An impressive use of technology.

Ravin Pillay's closing address on Tuesday to the jury on behalf of his client, accused killer Dellen Millard, was among the best I've seen. His ability to steer the jurors through 16 weeks of evidence in a single day — and reshape it to his liking — was truly astounding, making me pause many times to reconsider issues I thought I had already decided."

Great article and I was wondering the same thing during his close. I thought the close was to tie up all the evidence. However, RP decided to add in a new theory without any evidence to back it ... very weird

This is a point that I agreed with Pillay on and it was totally fair to highlight that the Crown didn't use this evidence. However, I understand that the Crown may have left this out if they didn't consider it relevant evidence to the case. The evidence was still there for the defence to use, but on its own it didn't really speak to the accused's guilt. It was more important for the Crown to show the two vehicles together. There really was no other evidence available for the Crown to try to piece together a story about how/when the murder actually occurred during those critical times.

I think at the beginning, it was only important for the Crown to show the two vehicles together. But, I also think that changed when MS took the stand and gave his fairy tale. I think that, by continuing to disregard the other sightings and suggest that TB was killed in the field, where absolutely no evidence was found of glass or bullets or blood, it didn't help their case at all.

IMHO, this was an error on the part of SC. That tweet was right in the middle of when Pillay was talking about the Tumanenko test drive.

The same spot in the tweets from MH:

SC also claims that the satchel tested positive for residue. I thought the satchel only had a blood spot on it that couldn't be tested for DNA.

Thank you for posting this and clarifying. It makes much more sense in context with all the other tweets that SC made a mistake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He's not saying his client wasn't there and involved. He's saying his client didn't plan a murder and didn't pull the trigger, and IMO he's made some very good points.

To me the evidence itself outweighs Pillay's points. Obviously his only job is to create reasonable doubt but the judge made it clear circumstantial evidence will be weighed just the same as the testimony and I think there's enough evidence to believe they planned it.

Old cars are big in rap culture, and caddies are king still, from what I know.

Well yes I do know this but however I think they are ugly boat sized cars and would draw attention. MS didn't have a licence.

Well yes I do know this but however I think they are ugly boat sized cars and would draw attention. MS didn't have a licence.

He's broke and needed to get that caddy to goto Calgary. If he is that broke how is going to fuel that gas guzzler all the way west.

Can you enlighten me as to how it was confirmed today? I must have missed that part. TY

His lawyer talked about how DM wasn't trying to conceal his identity at the Bosma's house. Pillay said DM wore the satchel which is part of 'his signature look.'

He's broke and needed to get that caddy to goto Calgary. If he is that broke how is going to fuel that gas guzzler all the way west.

Maybe MS's plan was to have his sister drive it back to Calgary with him after his other sister's wedding was over.

All MOO.

But why would they need to improvise and make decisions on the fly if they'd been planning it for over a year?
They planned the basics. Get a truck, incinerate the body, use a burner phone etc. They didn't plan the route they were going to drive considering they didnt know who they were going after until the test drives.

I just had an epiphany. The fireworks comment makes even more sense to me now. IT was called May 3rd. The other truck owners too. Makes sense that DM may have told MS he would be calling for a test drive May 3 leading MS to make the statement on May 2 "Ok it's fireworks tomoro night."

IT settles on Sunday instead, so DM fills him in I suppose and he responds, the next day "I thought it was fireworks tonight but it's not yet."

Definitely not a fireworks display IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members