A.3 choose target
A.4 meet with target
A.5 hold gun on target and shoot target
A.6 stop at farm to get incinerator
A.7 finish victim off
A.8 dismantle truck
"

DM's text on may 6 "it will be an allnighter"
blows this whole nice-guy idea out of the water doesn't it.

Perhaps I am being stubborn here, or "willfully blind", or even simple-minded, but these 2 things alone (amongst so many others), cannot be "innocently" explained away, and IMO, show premeditation of 1st DM.

1. A loaded gun was brought to "test drive" or scope out for later theft, a vehicle. There is absolutely no "innocent" reason to put bullets in that gun. If the intent was only to steal the truck and terrify the owner into getting out of the truck, an empty gun would have sufficed, without question, IMO. Gun(s) were purchased well in advance of May 6, 2013. Both DM and MS were involved with the purchase.

2. Even more important, in my mind, is the purchase of the livestock incinerator, WELL in advance of Tim's murder. It was NOT purchased for an animal incineration business, or for disposal of dead livestock or garbage. It was a very costly investment that cannot be innocently reasoned away, IMO. Both DM and MS discussed/researched its purchase, its set-up, preparing it in the days leading up to the murder. (Yeah, I know about SS, but he was not there that night. I am only talking about MS and DM because they are the accused.) It was part of a plan. In what possible or likely scenario would a supposed plan to solely steal a truck also involve an incinerator? In my wildest dreams, I can't think of a single one.

And yet, if we are to believe that the intent was only to steal or scope out a truck, and Tim was UNINTENTIONALLY killed in the process because "the plan" included bringing a loaded weapon, is it reasonable to believe that in their utter shock and horror that a man had been killed, either one of them would have said "Hey, I know what we will do. We just happen to have that incinerator at the farm ... Lucky we thought to purchase that a few months ago. It's not being used for anything. Let's go there to dispose of the result of our botched plan to scope out/steal the truck." Is it remotely possible that the purchase of the incinerator was actually a mere happenstance/convenience/coincidence to their "intended plan" to solely steal a truck?

IMO, a very loud resounding NOOOOO!!! The incinerator was there because it was a part of an overall plan that was initiated a long time ago.

These 2 things alone, perhaps too simple?, are proof of premeditation in my mind.

MOO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How could it have been on the morning of the 7th that MS whizzed past BD? They are on video picking up MM at the apartment that morning. How does DM drop off MS, then MM come out of the house to tell BD to leave if they were all together when dropped off? (And according to MM, happy at that point.)

MS and MM moved to the sister's apartment after DM was arrested. From MH's tweets on April 5th, line 2740 and 2741:

Edit: Found this as well, from MM's sister's testimony, line 4371 of MH's tweets:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...__2QSDhYkGxMU/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=156108166

Why is it not possible to have been the morning of the 7th that MS whizzed past BD, because MS whizzing past BD and entering his mother's house does not preclude MM also going into the house, and being the one to return to bring down the pot, telling him to leave.

There are a few dates noted in tweets listed under Pillay's cross, and so I don't see how all of them could have been errors. moo though. I believe Dungey also noted the date of May 6th being the day that MS whizzes past him, same as below. Obviously this is in error, since the crime had not happened yet?

I am not certain on the date when MS and MM moved into MM's sister's apartment, however I thought I had read somewhere that it was before DM's arrest. During the talked-about 50-minute visit that DM paid to MS prior to his arrest, where did DM go to have that visit with MS? Was it at MS's mother's house? And when was it that BD 'let DM in'? And was that not at MM's sister's apartment? I will look back, perhaps I am mistaken, but it seems to me that the two were living at the sister's prior to DM's arrest. moo.

====
AC's live blog on April 5, 2013:

from Crown's examination of BD:
2:41 PM
"I just remember the truck zooming by, Mark hopping out, running into the house, Marlena coming back out and telling us to scram," Daly says. I'm not sure about what date this pertains to.

from Pillay's cross exam of BD:
4:01 PM
Pillay asking about May 6, when Daly saw Smich rolling up with Millard and Marlena in Millard's Yukon. Smich "blew past him," and went into the house, court hears.
4:02 PM
On May 7, Smich told Daly "I f--ked up." "He said it over and over again, yes," Daly says.
4:03 PM
"It immediately became apparent that something bad had happened? There was a sense of dread in his voice?" Pillay asks. Daly says yes.
4:06 PM
Daly agrees that Smich grew more and more anxious and unsettled as the days went on after May 7.
4:06 PM
"All of his cell phones, he got rid of, right?" Pillay says. Daly says yes.
4:08 PM
Daly says he had no point of contact after that, so he would use other people's phones. "It was clear to you to sort of go underground ... he was preparing to flee, try to conceal himself, to hide," Pillay says. Daly says yes.
4:09 PM
Pillay now asking about May 10, when Millard was arrested.
4:10 PM
Smich also used Daly's phone a few times -- and took it and went out on the balcony, and didn't use it in front of him. Daly says his phone was erased every time. "There would be no trace of his use on your phone?" Pillay asks. Daly says that's correct.

Can you please direct me to where the judge said it didn't matter which dog ate the food?
this is what I could find on the topic.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 24s24 seconds ago
Inference can logically or reasonably be drawn. eg. Woman puts dog food in dish. Then leaves house. Returns to see food gone from dish.
Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 1m1 minute ago
Direct evidence. Witness testifying to what they saw or heard. eg Woman says she put dog food in dish and saw her dog eat it.
Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 2m2 minutes ago
We use observed or known facts to infer secondary facts.
May conclude dog ate food from dish.

Quote Originally Posted by XiolaBlueX View Post
The judge followed up a similar analogy today about 1 dog being left food, etc and then said - (paraphrasing) however, if you have TWO dogs, and come back later and all the food is gone, you may not know which dog ate the food, or if both did.

Judge Goodman's whole point of the dog + dog food analogy was to illustrate how "inference can logically or reasonably drawn".....and it works very well in dpoing that.

XiolaBlueX's take on the 1 dog story is cute and clever---"TWO dogs....food is gone.....you may not know which dog ate the food, or if both did". But she/he failed to spell out what the 2 dog analogy is intended to illustrate.

So Canadiangirl, you shouldn't go looking for what the judge had to say about the 2 dog analogy, you really need to send a little note to XiolaBlueX !!!!!

Does anyone own a Dodge Ram similar to TB's and know of someone who is comparable in size to TB? 165-170 lbs, six feet tall? I have an experiment I hope someone could try which might just blow a hole in MS's testimony. According to MS he saw TB face down on the dash after being shot in his truck by DM. Is that even possible? If TB was wearing a seat belt there would be no way that could have happened. TB's head would have been slumped forward and the seat belt would have restrained him from going too far forward. If TB wasn't wearing a seat belt, falling forward after being shot, would it even be possible his head would come to rest of the dash, or would he just have slump forward or to the right being as the shot came from his left? Wouldn't the dash be too far away, even with the passenger seat in the position closest to the dash kwim? MOO.

Adam Carter Feb 1 2016 2:30 PM Crown now asking about Tim's physical stature. He was exceptionally skinny, she said. On a good day about 165-170 pounds, six feet tall. Not into sports, occasionally played pond hockey. "He was very wirey for a small guy," Sharlene says.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/tim-bosma-court-day1-millard-smich-trial-1.3426062

I don't know when they burned what pieces, but it appears that there was a time on the night of May 7th that MS was at the farm while DM was at the hangar. From billandrew's timeline, DM texted MS that he was on the way to pick him up at 6:06 pm. At 9:09, the Yukon arrived at the hangar. Around 11:00 to 11:30 flashlights were seen at the farm. At 11:30, Smich phone was at the farm. At 11:40, the Yukon left the hangar with the trailer. IIRC, Fraser questioned MM about who had her phone that night and whether she was with it. No idea if that means it was a quick trip to the hangar or if both were cleaning up separately.

Somewhere when MS was on the stand, I recall him saying that moving the incinerator to the barn was the only thing done on the 7th.

Does anyone own a Dodge Ram similar to TB's and know of someone who is comparable in size to TB? 165-170 lbs, six feet tall? I have an experiment I hope someone could try which might just blow a hole in MS's testimony. According to MS he saw TB face down on the dash after being shot in his truck by DM. Is that even possible? If TB was wearing a seat belt there would be no way that could have happened. TB's head would have been slumped forward and the seat belt would have restrained him from going too far forward. If TB wasn't wearing a seat belt, falling forward after being shot, would it even be possible his head would come to rest of the dash, or would he just have slump forward or to the right being as the shot came from his left? Wouldn't the dash be too far away, even with the passenger seat in the position closest to the dash kwim? MOO.

Adam Carter Feb 1 2016 2:30 PM Crown now asking about Tim's physical stature. He was exceptionally skinny, she said. On a good day about 165-170 pounds, six feet tall. Not into sports, occasionally played pond hockey. "He was very wirey for a small guy," Sharlene says.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/tim-bosma-court-day1-millard-smich-trial-1.3426062

IIRC, a WSer (I am sorry that I don't remember who) kindly did do this experiment, and posted a pic. It was perhaps about 2-3 weeks ago? I will try to find the post.

CJPrincess did these tests for us and posted pictures on here. There was detailed discussion surrounding it so possibly what you're looking for.

IIRC, a WSer (I am sorry that I don't remember who) kindly did do this experiment, and posted a pic. It was perhaps about 2-3 weeks ago? I will try to find the post.

I think it was CJPrincess.

Can you please direct me to where the judge said it didn't matter which dog ate the food?
this is what I could find on the topic.

Susan Clairmont ‏@susanclairmont 24s24 seconds ago
Inference can logically or reasonably be drawn. eg. Woman puts dog food in dish. Then leaves house. Returns to see food gone from dish.
Direct evidence. Witness testifying to what they saw or heard. eg Woman says she put dog food in dish and saw her dog eat it.
We use observed or known facts to infer secondary facts.
May conclude dog ate food from dish.

Quote Originally Posted by XiolaBlueX View Post
The judge followed up a similar analogy today about 1 dog being left food, etc and then said - (paraphrasing) however, if you have TWO dogs, and come back later and all the food is gone, you may not know which dog ate the food, or if both did.

I'm not sure that the judge mentioned the 'two dogs' analogy. I have all of the tweets recorded from the series of tweeters listed in abro's twitter thing, and my search function isn't finding reference from any of the tweeters in regard to the two dogs, only to the one dog. Perhaps that was just an add-on thought by XiolablueX? Not sure? Not that it matters, since obviously if there are two dogs, you would have to have more than one empty dog-food bowl to be able to surmise which dog ate the food.

Your observations are very interesting.

I may be able to attend court tomorrow - we're allowed to take notes?
Yes, I experienced it to be no problem taking word by word notes, fast and by hand. (Whether you feel like a complete nerd doing it, like I did, is a different issue I suppose ;) haha

""

DM's text on may 6 "it will be an allnighter"
blows this whole nice-guy idea out of the water doesn't it.

At the time when DM texted that to his girlfriend, TB was already murdered. His previous text telling her that if it was a success it would be an all nighter shows planning and deliberation and intent, imho, on DM's part, but says nothing in regard to whether MS was also privy to his plan.

from MH tweets:

These texts are when Millard says "I'm on my way to a mission now. If it's flop I'll be done in 2 hrs. If it goes..it'll be an all nighter." Apr 27, 2016
At 10:47 pm a text from Kinks: "so you finish?" 11:34pm Millard phone: "gonna be an all nighter" Kinks: "ok. see me when you can." #Bosma Apr 19, 2016

Everyone else was not with DM that night, and didn't help with the disposal of the body, and ripping out carpets and seats out of the bloody truck. Their involvement was knowing not doing. MS could have driven away in Yukon and gone straight to police and reported the murder (IF in fact he was not privy to the pre-meditated plan to kill). He chose not to. His actions that night were that of an accomplice, not a shocked bystander.

He had several opportunities to not be involved - but he chose to help with disposal and clean up. Therefore, M1 for both. MOO

The issue is, from a legal perspective IMO, that same behaviour could still have been done after a second degree murder, for example (or even after manslaughter while trying to steal a truck)This behaviour afterwards does not prove to me that it was premeditated murder.

""

Even if murder was not the intent, the verdict should still be M1.
A bank robber might have no intent of murder and only intends to intimidate with a shot through the cieling, BUT
if things go sideways, it's M1.

Can you please provide a link to support your fact?

"
At the time when DM texted that to his girlfriend, TB was already murdered. His previous text telling her that if it was a success it would be an all nighter shows planning and deliberation and intent, imho, on DM's part, but says nothing in regard to whether MS was also privy to his plan.

from MH tweets:
These texts are when Millard says "I'm on my way to a mission now. If it's flop I'll be done in 2 hrs. If it goes..it'll be an all nighter." Apr 27, 2016

At 10:47 pm a text from Kinks: "so you finish?" 11:34pm Millard phone: "gonna be an all nighter" Kinks: "ok. see me when you can." #Bosma Apr 19, 2016"

You will notice that I wrote "it will" and not "gonna"
I was referring to the text before the mission.

Thank you all for telling me it was CJPrincess, and thank you once again, CJPrincess, for doing this experiment. [emoji4]

I found it ... It was the trial Day 51 thread, around post number 76 or so ... I am unable to post a link, so here is a screenshot of the approx. beginning of the posted pic and discussion:

656d28a565884e34665cccbdb41b3d88.jpg

Judge Goodman's whole point of the dog + dog food analogy was to illustrate how "inference can logically or reasonably drawn".....and it works very well in dpoing that.

XiolaBlueX's take on the 1 dog story is cute and clever---"TWO dogs....food is gone.....you may not know which dog ate the food, or if both did". But she/he failed to spell out what the 2 dog analogy is intended to illustrate.

So Canadiangirl, you shouldn't go looking for what the judge had to say about the 2 dog analogy, you really need to send a little note to XiolaBlueX !!!!!

As much as I would love the opportunity to be "cute and clever", the 2 dogs analogy was not MY take on anything, I was writing it by hand as the Judge was saying it, so you may need to send a little note to him instead! ;)

I thought that the inference was pretty obvious, but apparently not, so here is some more clarification:

Judge Goodman was discussing Direct vs Circumstantial evidence.
Judge started by saying a dog owner puts food in a dish, watches the dog eat it, it is direct evidence. If same owner leaves the dog alone with full bowl, is out all day and returns and the food is gone it is circumstantial evidence, which is a legal term to describe indirect evidence.
He later returns to the dog analogy when discussing Proper Inference vs Inproper Inferences.
Proper Inferences can come from wisdom and life experience. They cant be speculation or conjecture. The Judge then says now imagine the previous example with 2 dogs instead of one left with a full food bowl, and owners returns and it is empty. The owner will now not be able to properly infer about which dog ate the food, or if both dog ate some.

Judge then went on to say another example: Imagine my friend Richard thinks our neighbour won the lottery as he is over the moon happy and smiling. Yes this is consistent with winning the lottery. However, there are also countless reasons that have nothing to do with the lottery. It would be a wild guess/speculation and therefore an improper inference.
However, if I also heard that somebody in my small town had bought the winning ticket, the neighbour abruptly quit his job that he has always loved, and bought a brand new ferrari....

Judge speaking further on making inferences: Sometimes just because an inference is difficult to get to does not mean it is not valid. Also, sometimes there is more than one inference. Eg. If I left a hotel and there are puddles on the sidewalk I can infer that it rained. However, it could also be that the sprinkler system came on and soaked the sidewalk.

Just being there doesn't make someone an aider though, Goodman says. "Sometimes people are in the wrong place at the wrong time."
by Adam Carter 2:32 PM

The Crown has to prove intent and knowledge that offence would happen on the aider's part, Goodman says.
by Adam Carter 2:32 PM

Abettors are people who encourage a person to commit an offence, and they can also be found guilty.
by Adam Carter 2:33 PM

"If a person knows that someone intends to commit a crime, and encourages it, that person who encourages it, is also guilty of the crime the other commits."
by Adam Carter 2:34 PM

There's also instances where the accused have planned to commit a certain offence, like a theft, and then something else happens.
by Adam Carter 2:36 PM

An accused cannot be convicted as an aider or abettor unless it's proven that he had the state of mind or intent with that offence.
by Adam Carter 2:38 PM

Do not confuse aiding or abetting truck theft with aiding or abetting murder, says judge. "You must be very careful not to do that.

I spent a couple of hours re-reading most of Justice Goodman's charge to the jury for myself today...I recognize and understand what he is saying in the passage that you have copied here.
Of all the points that he makes here, we have come back full circle to the infamous phrase about "Just being there"

Let me try to illustrate my own thinking on the matter.....

Bellman was just being there when he observed TB's truck and the Yukon exiting the dirt lane across from his home. He was literally an innocent, passive bystander who looked up, eyes opened and saw passing before him 2 vehicles that he later had cause to speak to authorities about.

Smich and Millard were also there that evening across the road from Bullman's home but they were not just being there .
They were not doing a lazy 'Sunday' type drive through the peaceful countryside, living in the moment. They were not even there for the supposed 'test drive' of a pickup truck as they had blatantly lied to TB about.
They were there on a mission....they were there as part of a plan....they were not innocent, passive bystanders who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. They were there with a plan and a purpose and one or both of those bast#ds had brought along a gun...not just any old gun.....a loaded gun and may be even with the safety off for all we know. They were not ​just being there...of that I am 100% convinced.

I am not going to get into the minutia of what has taken almost 5 months to wade through in terms of evidence, exhibits, opinions and discussion....I just know that I have followed along and listened carefully and the one thing that I am absolutely certain of is this----
The only man just being there.....the only one who was innocent and a 'nice guy' was Tim Bosma.......the only reason he was in the wrong place at the wrong time is because he was deliberately targeted and then lured from his home his family and his life.....and I am expecting from the jury the "impartial and dispassionate assessment of the evidence" that justice Goodman says we are all (as a society) entitled to.

As much as I would love the opportunity to be "cute and clever", the 2 dogs analogy was not MY take on anything, I was writing it by hand as the Judge was saying it, so you may need to send a little note to him instead! ;)

I thought that the inference was pretty obvious, but apparently not, so here is some more clarification:

Judge Goodman was discussing Direct vs Circumstantial evidence.
Judge started by saying a dog owner puts food in a dish, watches the dog eat it, it is direct evidence. If same owner leaves the dog alone with full bowl, is out all day and returns and the food is gone it is circumstantial evidence, which is a legal term to describe indirect evidence.
He later returns to the dog analogy when discussing Proper Inference vs Inproper Inferences.
Proper Inferences can come from wisdom and life experience. They cant be speculation or conjecture. The Judge then says now imagine the previous example with 2 dogs instead of one left with a full food bowl, and owners returns and it is empty. The owner will now not be able to properly infer about which dog ate the food, or if both dog ate some.

Judge then went on to say another example: Imagine my friend Richard thinks our neighbour won the lottery as he is over the moon happy and smiling. Yes this is consistent with winning the lottery. However, there are also countless reasons that have nothing to do with the lottery. It would be a wild guess/speculation and therefore an improper inference.
However, if I also heard that somebody in my small town had bought the winning ticket, the neighbour abruptly quit his job that he has always loved, and bought a brand new ferrari....

Judge speaking further on making inferences: Sometimes just because an inference is difficult to get to does not mean it is not valid. Also, sometimes there is more than one inference. Eg. If I left a hotel and there are puddles on the sidewalk I can infer that it rained. However, it could also be that the sprinkler system came on and soaked the sidewalk.

Great to hear more than the tweets were telling us, from someone who was there and taking notes. Thank you. [emoji4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member