Bosma Murder Trial - Weekend Discussion #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point! I kind of hope for her sake that she had moved on by then. Although the communications happened for about 4 months in the spring and summer of 2014, and he wasn't charged until January of the next year.

I don't think there is any reason for MM to not support MS; she isn't facing charges after all.

CN on the hand will be looking out for herself, which is bad news for DM.

I noticed when a WS member posted the fees for the 2013 Baja race, that it was for a race scheduled for November, and not May. Has anyone found any evidence of a Baja race taking place in May 2013, and what the rates were for that race?

I don't think there is any reason for MM to not support MS; she isn't facing charges after all.

Well, if it were me, the simple fact that he was arrested, charged and now on trial for killing a man would be a pretty big reason. But that's just me. I'm picky that way. :thinking:

In my opinion it is bad news for the truth when people may be tailoring their testimony according to whether or not they are charged, or if they fear that they will be.

To me it's not about sides, it's about getting at the truth when there are so many questions remaining.

Why do I always forget that MS was charged for sending letters to his girlfriend! Thanks for the reminder. When this happened, I always assumed that DM would be charged for the same thing any day. But he never was, was he? Is that weird, that they would charge one and not the other for apparently doing the same thing?

Looking back, I would have assumed that this charge came up when CN was charged, in the second wave of charges, in April of 2014. But this article says he was charged in January of 2015, how strange. When was MWJ charged again? I wonder if they have any of the letters MS wrote to MM, and if they were still together then, almost 2 years after his arrest, do we know if they still are now?

He wasn't charged until January of 2015, but the contact was between April 10 and July 31 of 2014. The contact appears to have started the same day that CN was charged and the same day that the additional charges were laid against DM and MS. Coincidentally (or not), MWJ was charged on April 8, 2014.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014/04/12/tim_bosma_murder_case_laura_babcock_dead_before_she_was_reported_missing_police_allege.html

Why is DM discussing going to Baja with his very part-time bookkeeper anyway? Was she supposed to run the hangar while he was gone? JMO

I haven't seen any of the articles, are the MSM treating her as if she is a liar as well? Was it just over her confusion about the amounts for the race or was there something else she changed her testimony about?

Is it possible that when they were talking about the race she only heard them say the entry fee was eighteen, and it was her assumption that it was eighteen thousand when they meant eighteen hundred?

I'm still curious if LE or crown checked the entry fee at the time she made her statement in 2013, or any time prior to trial, to know that she had inadvertently added a zero to the price. I am really wondering if someone related to the trial read the accurate price here before she went back on the stand the second day, I suppose.

My opinion only.

This is the only place that I've seen her being treated this way. Going by the tweets, she didn't lie. She freely admitted that when she first talked to LE, she was only giving an opinion, guessing, and doesn't know what the cost would actually be.
Feb 25 2016 12:02 PM
Sachak now talking about the budget for the jeep race in Baja, Mexico. Williams says she was giving an opinion to the police as to what the entrance fee would be and what the costs related to the race would be.
Adam Carter

Feb 25 2016 12:04 PM
Sachak says he's suggesting the entrance fee for the race was $1,800 and not $18,000, as she testified yesterday. She says she isn't certain. "You don't know the price. You're not sure of the price." Sachak says. "Yes," she responds.
Adam Carter

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes Feb 25
Re: Baja race entry fee, Sachak suggests entry fee was $1800 not $18000. She agrees she does not know. Was guessing when talking to police.

FWIW, she also freely admitted that she did not look after any of the other family business or what the value of any of the equipment might be and was basing her statement about finances being tight on the MillardAir bank account.

molly hayes ‏@mollyhayes Feb 25
Crown now back to the statement she gave police on May 14, 2013, in which she said based on bank account, $ was tight. #Bosma

All the cross did was point out that she was not an "expert witness" and her comments were not based on a complete picture.

I've always wondered about Deepak Paradkar's split with DM. Apparently he was never officially retained by DM, but it's not clear to me which side was holding off. Was DM unwilling or unable to pay Paradkar's high fees? Was Paradkar unwilling to take a case that he didn't think he could win? Or was it simply based on a conflict between them?

FWIW, I was discussing this with my own lawyer and he said Pillay has a reputation for taking the cases other criminal defense lawyers won't touch.

Ravin Pillay was co-counsel from the beginning. DM didn't get rid of the whole team, just one part of it. Personally, I think it may have had something to do with the potential conflict of interest with Deepak Paradkar also representing MWJ, but that's JMO.

In my opinion it is bad news for the truth when people may be tailoring their testimony according to whether or not they are charged, or if they fear that they will be.

To me it's not about sides, it's about getting at the truth when there are so many questions remaining.

Well everyone has their own truth, right? IT's truth was that DM and MS were planning something on him. LW's truth is that DM is not so bad a guy that she wouldn't visit him in prison a half dozen times.

MM would have known what MS was up to at the time the photo was taken of them in the park with MS's arm around MM. She obviously thought he was a good guy, maybe even a protector, at the time the photo was taken. At the same time she would have known what went down...and her truth was that MS was still not a bad guy or someone to be avoided.

Remember, there were a lot of positive character references in the press for MS too.

Yes, I am aware of the terminology used, just thought it was waaaaaay too ironic to be written and used by someone so VERY close to this case. His boss (who is a pilot and who also test drove a truck) is sitting in jail awaiting a murder conviction ! ! !

It seems they all like to "play on words".

Interesting thought, thank you. MWJ is charged with weapon trafficking related to Wayne Millard's death, so I can see how it could be a conflict for DP to represent both MWJ and DM.

As a side note, it seems Paradkar has been doing a good job for Matthew Ward-Jackson. A court document on CanLII shows MWJ was found not guilty on some drug charges in 2014. And ABro reported on her website that MWJ had a whole list of other charges against him dropped in 2015.

I believe he's still up on weapons charges. It seems he is the one that sold a/the weapon to DM, and LE found an AK-47(?) at MWJ's residence. I remember him showing off a weapon on social media which was clad in Gucci or L Vuitton leather. Should have been charged for tackiness too, by fashion police. IMO

Yes, I am aware of the terminology used, just thought it was waaaaaay too ironic to be written and used by someone so VERY close to this case. His boss (who is a pilot and who also test drove a truck) is sitting in jail awaiting a murder conviction ! ! !

I'm thinking that his plan was to sell the car and he posted the ad in the language his target audience would understand, without a lot of thought, 2 1/2 years later, about whether the terminology would be construed as being anything other than that. Many who are interested in the car probably would not have even realized who he was or his connection to a trial currently taking place. JMO

LW's truth is that DM is not so bad a guy that she wouldn't visit him in prison a half dozen times.

One can safely infer from other evidence, Jennings' testimony comes to mind, that DM had a very charming and affable side to his personality, which may have been all that LW was familiar with. She did visit him in jail but stopped in the fall of 2014, so her current assessment of his character 18 months later can't be confirmed. Since DM's contacts were so limited, he may have asked her to visit (whether of not with a "business" pretext). For all we know LW might be a devout Christian who took the Biblical injunction to visit those in prison literally.

Although she didn't have formal training, that doesn't ipso facto mean she was not competent at what she does. Someone I know locally who also does books for several local businesses is similarly self-taught and very competent indeed. This may be an exception, but I don't think we have evidence one way or another about LW's skills (and it doesn't matter that much to the case). Certainly someone without formal qualifications would be available at a cheaper rate, which for some employers would matter a great deal.

I never noticed this from past testimony:

Tony Diciano is the next witness, with an Italian as opposed to a Russian accent. Tall and white haired, he’s run an auto body shop for 38 years. He’s known Dellen Millard for 7-10 years and met him through his uncle, Robert Burns.

“You see him,” says prosecutor Brett Moodie. “He gave you a wave.”

He asks the witness to tell him about a call he received from Millard.

He wanted to have a pickup truck painted from black to red, says Diciano.

“Had there ever been a similar request to change colour of truck from one to another?”

“No… that was first time.”

“He wanted it by Friday. I said ‘I’ll probably need (to) Sunday’ … He wanted it in a rush. He wanted it done right away.”

Now I see why DM went to him to get his truck painted as opposed to any place who could paint a truck for him. Friend of the family. JMO

http://www.annrbrocklehurst.com/2016/02/dispatches-from-the-tim-bosma-trial-day-5.html

Just a general observation about the trial. I am content with the fact that, as ABro stated (paraphrasing here), all the lawyers on this case are well-prepared and competent. I think it is imperative that both sides have good lawyers representing their interests. The accused are entitled to put forth a robust defense, and while it is my current opinion that the accused will be proved by the Crown to be guilty as charged, I feel more confident about such an outcome not only being possible, but less likely to be challenged on appeal, when the accused have the benefit of a strong defense.

In the end, the evidence will lead to the result and I have faith in the Crown's case. From what I have seen so far, I do believe that justice will ultimately prevail.

Until all the evidence has been presented, I will keep an open mind, but unless there is compelling evidence to come that will lead to reasonable doubt that the accused have not committed the murder and incineration of Tim Bosma, my opinion is unlikely to change.

All MOO.

I'm wondering about how the trial will proceed. It's approximately a fourth of the way in now. Does the Crown continue with its evidence for the next month and then the Defense takes over for the final two months? I've no experience with following a trial closely, therefore I have no idea what to expect, or if there is a usual way for the proceedings to play out over time.

Any information on how it works would be appreciated. Thank you in advance! :tyou:

Also, I cannot wait to hear what story the Defense will present to counter the Crown's assertions regarding what happened to Tim Bosma. I can't imagine what that might entail, or if the Defense will even present a story to explain, defend or try to dismiss the alleged involvement of one or both of the accused of this heinous crime.

All MOO.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...-trial-hears-about-accused-killer-s-finances/

"Williams' testimony was interrupted by legal arguments, so she will resume her place on the stand at some point. Perhaps then Millard's financial situation will become more clear."

According to this column by Susan Clairmont, LW is expected to be recalled to complete her testimony at some point.

Apologies, if this was already posted by others. I was wondering if LW would be back.

All MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member