Boulder's JonBenet Ramsey home up for sale, again, for $2.3 million

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi everyone, first post, are the other houses next to it generally in the same sort of style?

I always thought the Ramsey's house was kind of like the odd one out.

Welcome to the forum. The R house looked kind of odd because of the huge addition on the back (which was put on by a previous owner, not the Rs). It was much more modern in style and didn't match at all the home's classic Tudor style. It was just like this huge brick block stuck onto the back of the house. I would assume most of the original houses in the neighborhood were like the original part of the R home before the addition was put on- a mix of classic styles like Tudors, colonials, etc.

Didn't the R's add the entire 3rd floor where Patsy and John's bedroom was? I remember reading that they did 700k worth of renovations.

Didn't the R's add the entire 3rd floor where Patsy and John's bedroom was? I remember reading that they did 700k worth of renovations.

Not sure. I thought I had read that the addition at the back of the house was already done before the R bought the house, but possibly they added the master suite on the third floor. Anyone know?

Not sure. I thought I had read that the addition at the back of the house was already done before the R bought the house, but possibly they added the master suite on the third floor. Anyone know?

I am not sure but I think they turned the attic into the master bedroom.
She tells in the book they wrote about the renovations they did to the house. And how inconvenient it was.....how DARE someone who can afford a house like that, gardener, housekeeper, etc be inconvenienced LOL
I would gladly be inconvienced to get some rennovations done around here:crazy:

I am not sure but I think they turned the attic into the master bedroom.
She tells in the book they wrote about the renovations they did to the house. And how inconvenient it was.....how DARE someone who can afford a house like that, gardener, housekeeper, etc be inconvenienced LOL
I would gladly be inconvienced to get some rennovations done around here:crazy:

I said Amen and Amen!!!!! :praying:

Can't find the thread containing my last query re bank location, so if I may, I'll post here....

http://jonbenetramsey.pbworks.com/w/page/11682449/Analysis-of-undrtheradar

The following are direct quotes from the book "Death of Innocense"...

John is describing what he did to arrange getting the ransom note shortly after reading the ransom note;
"I call my banker friend Rod Westmoreland in Atlanta two arrange the ransom money and discover that he has left for his parents home in Tupelo, Mississippi. I get through to his assistant at Atlanta's Merrill Lynch office. I'm thankful that today is a work day. I quickly explain what has happened, and she says she'll get in touch with Rod right away"." The phone rings. Everyone freezes as I slowly pick up the receiver"."Hello, I answer tentatively. John, this is Rod. We've arranged for u to have a credit line of $118,000 dollars on your Visa card. You can go to a local bank and get the money as a cash advance". "John Fernie has been in contact with the president of a local bank, a personal friend of his, and is working to get the ransom money ready. John (Fernie not Ramsey) goes to the bank with my credit card to get the cash".

Banks in Boulder:
http://www.usbanklist.com/colorado/boulder-bank-locations/

The new interior is bare bones compared to the Ramseys lavish furniture. Patsy used every square inch of the home to decorate...

The basement is unrecognizable. The wine cellar is non-existent. I heard it was boarded up and cemented shut. The huge wine cellar in the new basement decor is tacky IMO.

You may think I am crazy but I like the way Patsy decorated it better. At least it had some character. Now it just looks like a model home not a place you want to live in. It would not bother me to live in a house where a murder occurred. The house did not murder JonBenet.

2.3 M is way overpriced, jmho. 1.1 million maybe. Are there some comps?

Do you believe its overpriced because of the murder or just in general? Boulder is very expensive, the house is in its most prestigious neighborhood, and it is over 7000 square feet so IMO, $1.1 million would be way underpriced. There's a house on 12th street, that is 3650 square feet and 3 bedrooms, and it's on the market for $1.095 million

At 2.3 M, it is about $319/sq ft. Must be a lot more expensive to live in Boulder than it is to live here.

At 2.3 M, it is about $319/sq ft. Must be a lot more expensive to live in Boulder than it is to live here.

The median single family home cost in Boulder is $548,000 so it's very expensive to live there, plus JonBenet's neighborhood, from what I've heard, is the most prestigious in Boulder due to how close it is to the U. of Colorado.

Do you believe its overpriced because of the murder or just in general? Boulder is very expensive, the house is in its most prestigious neighborhood, and it is over 7000 square feet so IMO, $1.1 million would be way underpriced. There's a house on 12th street, that is 3650 square feet and 3 bedrooms, and it's on the market for $1.095 million

Just in general. I'm not sure anybody is selling a house that was worth 500K in 1991 for 2.3 million today. That seems quite over-optimistic in todays market. Maybe the seller is using the notariety?

Just in general. I'm not sure anybody is selling a house that was worth 500K in 1991 for 2.3 million today. That seems quite over-optimistic in todays market. Maybe the seller is using the notariety?

To hear them explain it, the notoriety is exactly why they no longer want to live there. Apparently the house is vacant now, don't know where they are living at present, and don't know if the furniture is still in the house. This home was listed by the same owners a few years ago so these photos may be from when it was previously for sale. The only photo remember from the last time (because of what it covered up) was one that shows wall at the foot of the stairs coming down the basement. When the Rs lived there, these stars led to the laundry area right outside the WC. The WC door is straight ahead. To the right would be the train room and other areas of the basement. But the present owners put a wall up at the foot of the stairs blocking the entrance to those 2 rooms. I believe the WC is still there, but there is no access to it at this point. When they put the wall up, it had a decorative motif on that wall they put up, so as you came down the stairs, you saw that wall instead of doors to the laundry and WC. Don't know why that photo is no longer among the others; maybe people felt it was too obvious that the WC was "walled up".

The Ramsey's did about $700k worth of renovations after they bought the house for $500k so that makes it worth about $1.2 million. Also, I could be wrong but wasn't it a buyer's market in the early 90's? Even if the R's had bought the house for 500k, they may have gotten a very good deal on it. If the house was really worth $1.2 million in 1991 (due to renovations) and it's been almost 20 years, then $2.3 million does make sense to me. There's a house just three streets away that is half the size of JonBenet's house and it's on sale for about $1 million.

The Ramsey's did about $700k worth of renovations after they bought the house for $500k so that makes it worth about $1.2 million. Also, I could be wrong but wasn't it a buyer's market in the early 90's? Even if the R's had bought the house for 500k, they may have gotten a very good deal on it. If the house was really worth $1.2 million in 1991 (due to renovations) and it's been almost 20 years, then $2.3 million does make sense to me. There's a house just three streets away that is half the size of JonBenet's house and it's on sale for about $1 million.

I'm not sure adding the purchase price plus improvements equals market value but assuming they were value-added then I suppose you're right. Zillow is 1.7M which is curiously half way between 2.3M and 1.1M.

However despite all the improvements 2.3M sseems way high asking price for a quarter acre single-family residence.

I'm not sure adding the purchase price plus improvements equals market value but assuming they were value-added then I suppose you're right. Zillow is 1.7M which is curiously half way between 2.3M and 1.1M.

However despite all the improvements 2.3M sseems way high asking price for a quarter acre single-family residence.

I'm sure it's not exact but if you do $700k worth of renovations, that has to factor into the market value somehow. I know the lot is small, but that's the kind of lot people are looking for in that neighborhood. It's the historic, close together, walkable neighborhood near Pearl Street and U. of Colorado that appeals to many people. People who want a few acres aren't going to be looking in University Hill. Plus it has 7000+ square feet, three floors, HUGE master suite and 5 bedrooms/8 bathrooms. There's a condo on Pearl Street that's 1479 square feet and it's selling for $1.2 million, so selling JBR's house for $1.1 million would be a huge "bargain" IMO.

You may think I am crazy but I like the way Patsy decorated it better. At least it had some character. Now it just looks like a model home not a place you want to live in. It would not bother me to live in a house where a murder occurred. The house did not murder JonBenet.

I felt the same way. The way it is decorated now is too modern, that house cries out for antique furniture, etc.
Its too bad, it could be such a beautiful home.
The basement decor is horrendous IMO
It WAS a good idea to wall off the WC but people would still know what happened in there. Cant handle it. TOO sad and too creepy what went on in that house. I dont think it was a wine cellar, think it was a storage room. Why do people call it a wine cellar?

I'm sure it's not exact but if you do $700k worth of renovations, that has to factor into the market value somehow. I know the lot is small, but that's the kind of lot people are looking for in that neighborhood. It's the historic, close together, walkable neighborhood near Pearl Street and U. of Colorado that appeals to many people. People who want a few acres aren't going to be looking in University Hill. Plus it has 7000+ square feet, three floors, HUGE master suite and 5 bedrooms/8 bathrooms. There's a condo on Pearl Street that's 1479 square feet and it's selling for $1.2 million, so selling JBR's house for $1.1 million would be a huge "bargain" IMO.

Houses are selling. Especially in exclusive neighborhoods. My Grandmothers house had to be sold and it sold in 2 wks. It is in a very
desirable neighborhood. (walk to the water)
If this house wasnt so notorious it wouldve sold by now. Lots of people out there can afford 15 room homes even in this economy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donwes
Back