BP Oil Spill Approaching Gulf Coast

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I follow this daily legalmania , I am so worried about it all. It just breaks my heart and somedays I just am so aggravated I can't post about it.....

I would like the citizens of Louisiana to send Ms. Palin some seafood from the gulf and see if she eats it. I am glad to see people are posting again, I was starting to think I was the only one on this thread who cared. Also this is now the biggest oil disaster ever, surpassing the Exxon Valdez. With hurricane season right around the corner, I wonder what will happen if there is a hurricane?

I care. I care very much. This whole disaster has me incensed to the point where I think my bp is actually near normal. (I run on the low side)
I have much to say but as angry as I am about this, I may end up saying something that would get me to'd or banned.:angel::innocent:

I care. I care very much. This whole disaster has me incensed to the point where I think my bp is actually near normal. (I run on the low side)
I have much to say but as angry as I am about this, I may end up saying something that would get me to'd or banned.:angel::innocent:

I understand everybody's anger, I just got so upset today when I saw a fisherman from Louisiana say "that it's just like Katrina nobody's coming."

I can only say, being from Mobile, between the oil spill and the recent drug, murder and weapons charges brought against our county commissioner, things in this part of the gulf are grim indeed. :(

I understand everybody's anger, I just got so upset today when I saw a fisherman from Louisiana say "that it's just like Katrina nobody's coming."

I was thankful to see James Carville's outburst about the region "we're dying down here!!"....hopefully that will spur some urgent and delayed attention?? I have been following this story and I keep thinking the same thing over and over again (especially after seeing those photos that Mysticrose posted) "it's absolutely heartbreaking....why isn't this administration doing something??" That's the same reaction I had while viewing the devastation of Katrina from thousands of miles away....my heart is so heavy for everyone who lives in that area.

A lot of people came for Katrina IMO. I was here. I saw it. There were A LOT of people in immediate danger and it was a huge task to get relief to all of them.

IMO the government could have done a lot more right after this happened instead of leaving it up to BP to clean up their own mess. yes BP should be held responsible and should have to pay for the clean up. But, immediate action was needed and did not happen.
Now, it's so "heartbreaking". Well heck yeah it's heartbreaking Mr. president. Where were you a month ago???????

Our governor begged for help.

I was an Obama voter in 2008 in part because I was tired of an administration that pandered to special interests and made a joke out of enviormental controls. Well, look where we are now. This guy is way too cerebral and cool for his or our own good. Can anyone imagine Harry Truman acting like this? He'd have pulled out all the stops by now and kicked some behind. These people act is if they are scared to death of BP. Anyone catch the Coast Guard commandant on TV lately? He needs to be retired. All he does is evade and stammer. Of course he's just following orders to not say anything to upset BP. Where are the skimmers? The tankers?
One point of interest, I have been noticing that traffic at the local BP stations is way down. I think consumers are boycotting the company- maybe there needs to be more of an effort to do that.

Hello, Obama, anybody home? Yes, Bush started all this carp, but this is YOUR administration. Slow to react, slow to help. He admitted his administration has been in charge since the leak happened. WELL? What are you doing about it? It's been far too long, and YOU, my presidential friend, are wasting time.

I would like the citizens of Louisiana to send Ms. Palin some seafood from the gulf and see if she eats it. I am glad to see people are posting again, I was starting to think I was the only one on this thread who cared. Also this is now the biggest oil disaster ever, surpassing the Exxon Valdez. With hurricane season right around the corner, I wonder what will happen if there is a hurricane?

Did you see the new hurricane projections about a very active hurricane season.

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2010/20100527_hurricaneoutlook.html

I can't even imagine winds, water AND oil!!:( And, lovely hurricane season starts Tuesday...

I was an Obama voter in 2008 in part because I was tired of an administration that pandered to special interests and made a joke out of enviormental controls. Well, look where we are now. This guy is way too cerebral and cool for his or our own good. Can anyone imagine Harry Truman acting like this? He'd have pulled out all the stops by now and kicked some behind. These people act is if they are scared to death of BP. Anyone catch the Coast Guard commandant on TV lately? He needs to be retired. All he does is evade and stammer. Of course he's just following orders to not say anything to upset BP. Where are the skimmers? The tankers?
One point of interest, I have been noticing that traffic at the local BP stations is way down. I think consumers are boycotting the company- maybe there needs to be more of an effort to do that.

It's all over FB and Twitter to boycott, I guess they are actually following through! I would really like to know why there are so many lies & coverup from BP, the Govnt and the 2 other companies involved!?! This is no time for liability cleanup, wasted manpower on devising stories...put these ppl in Hazmat suits and get them out there setting booms!! I am not kidding, enough of these 'fat suits' talking their way out of the havoc they wreak, make them swim in it 'literally'! I have had CNN on 24-7 and have watched the segment of Louisiana's congressman Charlie Melancon breaking down more times than I care to admit, yet each time I have broken down right along with him!
While I am physically here in PA, my heart, mind & emotions are with all of you along the Gulf coastline...may you all be granted a miracle!

Obama on BP oil spill: "I'm fully engaged." Press conference transcript
http://blogs.suntimes.com/sweet/2010/05/obama_on_bp_oil_spill_im_fully.html
<snipped>
But so far we have about 20,000 people in the region who are working around the clock to contain and clean up this oil. We have activated about 1,400 members of the National Guard in four states. We have the Coast Guard on site. We have more than 1,300 vessels assisting in the containment and cleanup efforts.

We've deployed over 3 million feet of total boom to stop the oil from coming onshore. And today, more than 100,000 feet of boom is being surged to Louisiana parishes that are facing the greatest risk from the oil.
I think Obama is doing the best he can to contain the problem-but this only half the battle. There is no clear cut solution to STOP the leak!:banghead:
<snipped>
And I'll close by saying this. This oil spill is an unprecedented disaster. The fact that the source of the leak is a mile under the surface where no human being can go has made it enormously difficult to stop. But we are relying on every resource and every idea, every expert and every bit of technology, to work to stop it. We will take ideas from anywhere, but we are going to stop it.

Just heard the news update- Obama is in LA inspecting the 'damage'. Apparently a crew came in and cleaned up the worst of it where he was to visit before he arrived. He won't be meeting with local citizens to discuss the situation and expressed confidence that BP will handle things.
My God. It's dejavu all over again.
This guy is not equipped to deal with this. This is the brass-knuckled world of Big Oil and he acts like this is some issue with trash collection in Chicago and he's a community organizer. Wait till the poll numbers start tanking about next week.
The sad thing is that we will wind up even worse off if the GOP surges back into power IMO. But what are voters supposed to do? Boy do we need a third alternative.

I actually wondered about that Snick....if they would clean it up before he arrived...you know, the old "dog and pony show". What a bunch of BS....good photo op, I guess....I swear that's all the visit is for (but I hope I'm wrong).

Hello, Obama, anybody home? Yes, Bush started all this carp, but this is YOUR administration. Slow to react, slow to help. He admitted his administration has been in charge since the leak happened. WELL? What are you doing about it? It's been far too long, and YOU, my presidential friend, are wasting time.

Bush didn't start anything. Our government has been pandering to big oil for years,even before Bush,and Obama has just continued with the status quo. Elizabeth Birnbaum was in the Clinton administration and then came back with Obama. This administration is as guilty as the previous ones.
In addition their are too many government employees who have cushy jobs adoing nothing,and no oversite. If they had time to sit and watch *advertiser censored* all day at the office of Mineral management,they sure should have had time to enforse proper safety procedures.
I guess its more importan for the Feds to make sure we don't have too much salt in our diet than to worry about a whole section of the country losing its livlihood,not to mention and environmental disaster!!!:furious:

hockeymom is right on. I have a bunch of friends who work for EPA. They are all hardworking people but they all have bosses and coworkers who don't do chit. It annoys them to no end as well. Has always been that way.

Re: obama. My opinion, he worries too much about appeasing everyone all the time. It's time for him to open a can of No. 1 whoop-*advertiser censored** and go to town on these oil companies. We need relief wells BEFORE a catastrophe happens, not starting on one a few months after. And that's if they insist on ruining our planet by continuing to offshore drill in the first place. The focus should have been shifted to alternative fuels in the 70s, when it was first being discussed. Guess who shut that down? Big oil. And southeast Texas smells like a giant fart thanks to big oil as well.

For the life of me I can't understand why this happened when (I was looking for something to support what I'm about to type but can't find it) the guy in charge at the time of the rig Deepwater Horizon said he saw the pressure go up (on whatever they do/read for safety checks) but then did not shut it down - wth? Does he have pressure on him to NOT shut down (I don't want to place the blame on one person but he should have the authority - like a Pilot).

It's human error, plain and simple imo. How much do these guys get paid to NOT be able to ensure safety for the workers and the environment. And is only one person checking the rig's safety in a huge operation such as this one? Plus I saw a report on TV where a specific part that was used was of a lesser quality than another one that's available; BP cut costs and installed the one of lesser quality. Again, wth? I'm pretty sure I saw these interviews on GMA since that's what I have on in the morning.

If these points have been discussed, I'm sorry as I haven't read through the whole thread.
It's not Bush's fault or Obama's fault, it's the fault of the oil operation company imo. That said, the media should get on Obama's case for his delayed response time as vehemently as they did Bush for his during Katrina. It burns me how partisan the media is and they're so transparent.

Planes crash, should we not have air travel? Fires happen in the hills, should we not build houses there? People drown, should we never risk swimming?
Air pollution is caused by exhaust of all kinds, let's go back to using only hand tools.

What is so tragic, is that there were warning signs that were simply not taken seriously - I saw the guy say it during a TV interview. How and why did that happen?

Just heard the news update- Obama is in LA inspecting the 'damage'. Apparently a crew came in and cleaned up the worst of it where he was to visit before he arrived. He won't be meeting with local citizens to discuss the situation and expressed confidence that BP will handle things.
My God. It's dejavu all over again.
This guy is not equipped to deal with this. This is the brass-knuckled world of Big Oil and he acts like this is some issue with trash collection in Chicago and he's a community organizer. Wait till the poll numbers start tanking about next week.
The sad thing is that we will wind up even worse off if the GOP surges back into power IMO. But what are voters supposed to do? Boy do we need a third alternative.

Who owns BP?
That's what I thought.

We should control our own stuff independently is what I think. Too nieve? Maybe. In most cases, no one cares as much as your own mother. Just say'n.

Hi Woe.be.gone, there were actually 2 engineers that made the decision to continue with drilling after a seal cracked and temp went up...I have to look for those links, but I did see this...

http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegreatbeyond/2010/05/deepwater_horizon_spill_update_6.html

snipped... About 11 hours before the Deepwater Horizon exploded, a disagreement took place between the top manager for oil giant BP PLC on the drilling rig and his counterpart for the rig's owner, Transocean Ltd., concerning the final steps in shutting down the nearly completed well, according to a worker's sworn statement.

Interesting article here in the NYT playing the blame game; http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/26/us/26rig.html

Do companies no longer value honesty & integrity...he!!, does anyone anymore??? (I do)

Right now, I'm less concerned about who is at fault and more concerned about who is gonna fix it!

My great state along with others needs help! It's not time for photo ops and "oh this is heartbreaking".

It's time for a good ole roll up your sleeves, shut your mouth, and get things going.
Mr. President has so much at his disposal. He's lagged on this long enough. Cancel your trip home this weekend Mr. President and don't leave Louisiana until we have answers.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18
Back