Brad Cooper Pleads Guilty to 2nd Degree Murder of Nancy Cooper

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where will she find this out? Not by watching the trial.

It is all over the internet. She will read it here or at some other website. And maybe her new mom will give her that information when she is older so she can make her own decision.

Because it would mean her father is innocent. And I agree, that would cause her a great deal of pain to find out what had been done to her and her sister by the State.
Nothing has been done to her or her sister by the State. The dramatics are really getting old. :bored: It is by the actions of their father that they have been put through the most horrendous pain imaginable and he admitted as much today.

I don't have much to say except that I am glad it is all over, and that I wish you would all stop arguing.

Whether you think the following are G or NG, the state of North Carolina has nothing to be celebrating tonite.

Rae Carruth will be released in 2018
Raven Abaroa will be released in 2018
Brad Cooper will be released in 2020

Michael Peterson is out on bail
Jason Young's conviction has been overturned as well.

As I said before, there is a part of me that still thinks he might be innocent of this crime. But because he made a decision to plead guilty, I don't have to argue this anymore. That was his decision, not mine. Even if he is innocent, I can't let it concern me anymore. If he is guilty, he got off too light. But regardless, he made a choice as to how he would lead the rest of his life.

The victory laps are shallow ones. I am happy for the Rentz family. I feel contempt for the judge, the DA and the CPD. I feel disappointment for Kurtz and Trenkle, who believed in their client and went beyond the call of duty in his defense.

Mostly, though, I am sad for the girls, for although they will have this complication removed from their lives for now, they will certainly revisit it when they are more mature. I cannot help but picture them, in their thirties, visiting their father for the first time since this happened. And the conversation will either be him apologizing to them for stealing their mother away from them, or him telling them that he is actually innocent and he took the deal so that they could move on. I don't know which is true, but I do hope that by then, honesty will prevail.

In the meantime, I think it is time to be done with this case. The only reason that I have an account on WebSleuths is due to this trial. I have moved away from the NC Triangle, and now it's time to move on.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

I am going to make this my last post on the Cooper case too. I have enjoyed posting with you, Oenophile, and many others here as well.
Some things will always bother me as well. I find it difficult to believe the state has new and damning evidence but has settled for a plea deal, just as much as others here find it hard to believe that an innocent
man would admit to murder.

I do not think in this case or any case, the family has that much impact on whether a case will be tried
as a death penalty or whether the state decides to offer a plea. I think the state in this case was trying to save face, there is no way any family could want the person who murdered their loved one to serve a sentence of only 12 years. I do not see this as either justice or closure, in any event. JMO, of course.

As for the Cooper family, it is very possible that they were not here today, because they did not want to see their son admit to something that he did not do.
It is also very possible that they have shown their support for Brad and love him dearly. No matter what some may think, he is still their son.
I think that they too, are very gracious people, just like the Rentz's.
The decision to take a plea was probably not as easy as some think.
But, it is over and done, and in the books.
Time to move on for me, looking forward to the Arias sentencing.
:seeya:
JMO

The truth shall set you free. Nancy can now rest, and those precious little girls can grow up free of doubt and free of a "father" who commuted the ultimate betrayal. He, by his own and voluntary admission, murdered their mother and dumped her body in a ditch. May God have some semblance of the mercy on him that he did not show Nancy.

So right, chickie, missed you. We always meet under such traumatic circumstances. I hope Brad rots away in central prison. Those poor little girls. At least it's over. There is no amount of time that can make up for the loss of their mom. Hugs, girl.

That's a shock! Just heard the news. Guilty plea in exchange for seven more years ... better than life in prison, and definitely more consistent with a crime of passion spousal homicide in Canada, which is usually 10 years.

You were adamant that Brad would get to see his children, despite him giving up his parental rights. It has been pointed out to you numerous times that it won't happen as long as the children are minors. As I said, nobody knows what will happen when they are adults, including you. They will also be able to make decisions about the lies told by their father when they watch the video of him admitting to murdering Nancy. :moo: I'm done with this discussion.

He gave up custody of the 8 and 10 year old children. In seven years, he'll be released from prison. He won't have custody, but that doesn't mean they cannot eventually have a relationship with his daughters. It will be entirely up to the girls whether they want to meet their father again.

He gave up custody of the 8 and 10 year old children. In seven years, he'll be released from prison. He won't have custody, but that doesn't mean they cannot eventually have a relationship with his daughters. It will be entirely up to the girls whether they want to meet their father again.
It's more than than giving up custody, the girls will be legally adopted by Nancy's sister, which makes sense as they already live with her and see her as a mother figure, imo. Essentially he will be terminating his parental rights. BBM - Yes, I agree.

It's more than than giving up custody, the girls will be legally adopted by Nancy's sister, which makes sense as they already live with her and see her as a mother figure, imo. Essentially he will be terminating his parental rights. BBM - Yes, I agree.

By the time he is released, they will be 15 and 17 years old, which is old enough for them to have a say about their parental wishes. In a sense, it doesn't seem like he gave up anything other than on paper. That is, even if he had retained custody, it might have meant nothing in reality.

:modstop:

Please stop with the back and forth. This picking at each other is not going to change what happened today in court.

Now agree to disagree and move on.

tia for your cooperation,
fran

I am going to make this my last post on the Cooper case too. I have enjoyed posting with you, Oenophile, and many others here as well.

>>>> Respectfully snipped <<<<

But, it is over and done, and in the books.
Time to move on for me, looking forward to the Arias sentencing.
JMO

:wave:See you on Arias, JF, if not before! :daisy:
Is there a real date on Arias?
:peace:

Arias penalty phase is supposed to start on 9/29. Unless it got pushed out again, haven't been keeping track.

I don't think I'll be following the retry of the penalty phase. It's going to be a rehash of part of the trial. Been there, saw that. Arias is deadly dull. I'll tune in for the result, which I predict will be LWOP.

Some additional thoughts I had.

I feel thankful for the Canadian folks who shared their personal insights about Brad with us over the years. That was a view that was unique and unavailable anywhere else. RKAB, Calgary123, CentralAlberta thank you joining in along the way and sharing what you did.

I'm glad his ex-fiance escaped and got away from him. It's too bad Nancy didn't make it out in time. I'm sure all his living ex's must be feeling glad he is well and truly in their past.

Some additional thoughts I had.

I feel thankful for the Canadian folks who shared their personal insights about Brad with us over the years. That was a view that was unique and unavailable anywhere else. RKAB, Calgary123, CentralAlberta thank you joining in along the way and sharing what you did . I found it very telling that of all the people who knew Brad in the college years and since, not one person thought him incapable of this murder. And these were people who actually knew him.

I'm glad his ex-fiance escaped and got away from him. It's too bad Nancy didn't make it out in time. I'm sure all his living ex's must be feeling glad he is well and truly in their past.

All of the people who knew Brad in college years and since think him capable of this murder?

No they don't.

All of the people who knew Brad in college years and since think him capable of this murder?

No they don't.

Do you know any of them? You don't, I'm sure of that, because I would have heard about you speaking with them... because his circle was very small. I could name two Brad supporters out the Medicine Hat/Calgary crowd, there could be more but I doubt it. So yes I wouldn't say "all", but its pretty close.

This is a total coincidence to your post, but, after talking tonight about this with one of the people Brad named as a "childhood friend" in the depo (who wasn't a childhood friend, and totally thinks Brad did it, long before the trial started, which is much earlier than I thought so), he reminded me that he got the introduction to Brad after high school from someone I also know very well. I completely forgot about that over the years. Anyway I tried to call him tonight to see if he heard the news... and keep in mind I've never actually talked with this guy about the trial even though we were very close 10-15 years ago and keep in touch only once in a while... Brad never came up in our talks since the murder. Anyway, he texts me because he's tied up, and to make a long story short... I texted to ask if he heard about Brad pleading... he responded that he and his wife heard about it on the radio driving home from work... then he said, "You remember he and I were roomates at u of c right?" and I actually forgot about that. Neither he nor I had ever talked about whether we thought he was guilty or not. Anyway, after making a few comments about what he might be like upon release, I commented, "I'm sure Brad would take a do-over if he could it didn't work out well for him." His response, "I get the feeling Brad is thinking, now I know what I did wrong so for sure I'll get away with it next time".

The Brad you purport to know is not the Brad many others know. You should really examine your convictions, and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

Do you know any of them? You don't, I'm sure of that, because I would have heard about you speaking with them... because his circle was very small. I could name two Brad supporters out the Medicine Hat/Calgary crowd, there could be more but I doubt it. So yes I wouldn't say "all", but its pretty close.

This is a total coincidence to your post, but, after talking tonight about this with one of the people Brad named as a "childhood friend" in the depo (who wasn't a childhood friend, and totally thinks Brad did it, long before the trial started, which is much earlier than I thought so), he reminded me that he got the introduction to Brad after high school from someone I also know very well. I completely forgot about that over the years. Anyway I tried to call him tonight to see if he heard the news... and keep in mind I've never actually talked with this guy about the trial even though we were very close 10-15 years ago and keep in touch only once in a while... Brad never came up in our talks since the murder. Anyway, he texts me because he's tied up, and to make a long story short... I texted to ask if he heard about Brad pleading... he responded that he and his wife heard about it on the radio driving home from work... then he said, "You remember he and I were roomates at u of c right?" and I actually forgot about that. Neither he nor I had ever talked about whether we thought he was guilty or not. Anyway, after making a few comments about what he might be like upon release, I commented, "I'm sure Brad would take a do-over if he could it didn't work out well for him." His response, "I get the feeling Brad is thinking, now I know what I did wrong so for sure I'll get away with it next time".

The Brad you purport to know is not the Brad many others know. You should really examine your convictions, and I mean that in the nicest way possible.

LOL, the fact that the person you talked to said he believed Brad did it before the trial even started says everything we need to know about him and the second person's comments are meaningless as well. Did he watch every minute of the trial?

There is plenty of support for Brad from people who know him.

We've heard from or about 2 ex's, 1 who posted on ws, and 2 ex roommates, 1 who posted on ws. All interesting insights into their experiences and thoughts, which I know was appreciated by many members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966