Brandon Scott Lavergne - Guilty Plea and LWOP

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checking in to say I hope all you locals stay safe as Isaac approaches!

Just wanted to add my thoughts and prayers to all my new "friends" in LA. I don't post much but read daily and feel like I have gotten to know all of you. Be safe! (I lived in South Florida for awhile and know all about the watching and waiting!) Prayers!!

Ok. I am going to get slammed for what I'm about to ponder out loud. But if there is any online forum that I would EVER post what I'm about to, it's here --because you all are pretty calm and collected and know how to "toss ideas around" without freaking out. So I'm just tossing this out there. PLEASE understand that this is not my opinion, but something I've wondered about ever since I've been a mother. Do you think that putting children in daycares from infancy then into school then after school care etc etc could be psychologically damaging SOME of them. I KNOW that some people have no choice. I'm just wondering because I have a couple of friends that put their babies in at 7am and don't get them until 6pm. That's a LONG time to be away from their mothers 5 days a week. Their older school aged children go to before care at school, then school, then are bused to an aftercare at a daycare. In nature, with most mammals, it is not normal for babies to be away from their mothers for such long periods of time. Again, I am NOT judging. I'm just wondering if this could be negatively affecting the psychological development of SOME of these children that are away from their mothers.

Personally, I am a ninny and am on the other end of the spectrum and rarely leave my babies until they are fully weaned around 2 years old, and trust me, I get lots of snickering from friends and family about that. Thus, I try my hardest not to judge other mothers and their breastfeeding, daycare, etc decisions.

So, I'm not judging,. I'm just looking at what is natural for a mammal, and wondering about extended long term daycare.

I would love for Dr Laura Schlessinger to comment on this. Maybe she has in relation to other cases.

Personally, and my uneducated opinion is that we are all born with a loose wire. I think most people are nurtured and/or are raised in an environment that caps that loose wire. For others, I think, the wire is left exposed... and as a result as that wire comes into contact with the wrong environment, it shorts and catches fire.

I think with BSL we have to look at his life from conception, if what I read earlier is fact.

HouDat, please don't think that I am singling you out for your opinion. I honor and respect your theories and opinions.,, and your sense of humor ain't bad either..

With that said, please consider the shattered vase analogy. That one missing char that may allow investigators to reassemble the vase may be held by a member of the public, that doesn't know that it is the missing char.

There are many families of the missing/murdered such as the Ali Lowitzer family that have a hole in their heart that only Ali can fill..

All available resources should be used in the Brandon S. Lavergne; serial killer multi-state investigation to insure that all the chars are recovered..

Thanks Foxfire.

I'm of the opinion that there is no one fail-safe strategy to employ in such situations.

I do think that in certain situations, there is no choice but to fully involve the public -- to the extent to which you suggest, no less.

I'm sure there is lots of hand wringing involved when LE is pondering which (if any) information to release to the public, and that each tidbit likely must be fully vetted and pondered from every angle possible.

Last thing LE wants to do, I would imagine, is to give a perp any sort of tip-off to information they have that could lead to said perp being able to cover his/her crime, avoid arrest, or otherwise cast doubt on the theory of his/her involvement in said crime. So with that in mind, I understand the reason for hesitance.

those photos of brandon lavergne make me sad.

I look at photos of young people and think of how they have time on their side like a pocketful of glittering doubloons. How they are looking forward to whatever life has to hold. Things like slow-dancing in a barn or kissing under the stars. Marrying the lover of their dreams.

They are young and going somewhere - they know that, though they know not where.

I think of the sad-looking, defeated man in chains who sleepwalks wordless into a courtroom and wordless back out, getting into a car that will now take him to the rest of his life. Nothing left to look forward to.

And now i put that image alongside those of a mother and a young woman, looking forward as well to the joy life can bring.... And they are all just gone. Their lives built toward an unlooked-for meeting... Collided and disintegrated, leaving them and those around them in irrevocable pieces.

How deeply sad this case is. How very quiet it has made me feel.

I pray for all three of their souls, and for the families that loved them.

:candle:

beautifully written cf !!!!!!!

peepop123, one thing you might could do is take some of that energy and motivation and emotion and channel it in another, but maybe somehow related, direction for a while.

You know -- get involved with an organization that works with at-risk youth ... Volunteer at a homeless shelter ... Work with a group that rescues or fosters animals ... Many other possibilities, but you get the idea, do something that makes a difference in at least a tiny corner of the world. (think how mickey would probably like that idea -- you'll be honoring her.)

be careful, of course, but do something that reaches out beyond your normal boundaries. You may never know the impact you make ... But you might keep someone else from becoming a victim of violence, or you might keep someone away from the road to becoming a perpetrator.

Just some ideas!

great advice backwoods !!

Thank you guys for all the concern and well wishes!

Those of us who have been through many hurricanes, just go through the check list making preparations. First is whether or not to evacuate, which is something I've never done. But, we do tank up just in case. Lafayette sits up higher than many other areas, so flooding is typically not a concern. The wind is the primary worry. About this time, family or friends from the north contact us to offer housing.

Next, will the electricity go out? If so, how long. We check/shop for batteries, canned goods, ice, COFFEE, and sometimes liquor (hurricane party). We pickup propane to fuel barbque pits and locate our drip coffee maker.

We trim trees branches to keep them off the roofs during high winds. Looking around the yard, we place loose items in the garage or tie patio furniture/other to a tree.

Then when we're done, we check with neighbors and family to make sure everyone is set. If not, we exchange items or pick some up for them.

The kids are glued to the tv anticipating school closures. It's a real family time when the electricity is out, board games, sandwiches, and conversation!

We'll be ok on THIS one I THINK!

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/floaters/09L/flash-avn-long.html

Hi all hope all are doing well. I have not posted here in a minute, I am however following a few cases here and doing my best to get word around mainly of Keiosha Felix. I just thought I would share this. Saturday night I had a buddy who lives near the Saints Streets area ask for a ride (he was more than tipsy lol) so I gave him a ride home. He lives a couple of blocks away from St. Landry where Mickey was hit. It was roughly 2 am and I said the hell with it. I decided to take a ride where MS was hit by BSL. I ironically own a Z71 Pewter in color. I drove down St. Landry until it intersected with Dean St. There are 2 speed bumps down that road which intrigued me. BSL must have turned his lights off otherwise Mickey would have possibly noticed the lights slightly moving up and down. I am guessing she had her iPod on and was focused on getting home. I was a tad paranoid being in a Z71 around roughly the same time BSL drove the same dreaded path. Ironically I only noticed one car pass down Coliseum road as I turned down it and continued to Johnston St. This would have been the same scenario IMO that occurred that dreaded morning. Dean St. does have several street lights, but there is a spot which is pretty dark. There are also plenty of houses there but not one person was outside. I just thought I would share this. It should give everyone a slightly more detailed picture of the area.

reedus23, I suspect the dwindling number of executions are for various reasons; expense/judicial budget cuts, number of prisoners exonerated due to DNA/forensics upgrades, and see below..

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=42382

Secretary-General calls on States to abolish death penalty
www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=42382Jul 3, 2012 – United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today called on Member ... endorsed a call for a worldwide moratorium of the death penalty.

Also, I don't remember the time frame, but I know there was a temporary stop put on carrying out the DP in some states, Illinois comes to mind for some reason, after DNA proved that an innocent man was on death row or had been executed. It seems like it would have been in this same time frame that Texas' numbers dropped.

while i was running around like a chicken with my head cut off yesterday i couldnt help but think, "thank god we found mickey before isaac" God's timing is better than our own. be safe everyone! get ready to hunker down!

Just some random thoughts that I've been wanting to post and probably should have long ago. I don't even know how I learned of Mickey's case. Somehow, though, I did and it lead me to this site. There was something about Mickey's spirit and the spirit of her family that drew me back day in and day out. I have found the outpouring of support from people that don't even live in the area to be just unbelievable. Whether its the moderators keeping us in check, while also keeping us somewhat focused on the task at hand, or whether its an occasional poster, each and everyone have my utmost respect and admiration for the tears and sweat you put into these cases.

As much as I have been inspired by those individuals, I have to say that the locals have found a special place in my heart. It starts with Mickey. Something about her spirit permeates even through the darkest of times. There is just something that a physical hand just can't touch and something that just couldn't be taken away no matter what she went through. I find that same type of spirit in Charlene. Her courage, strength and unwillingness to ever give up while at the same time maintaining an even keel throughout what is undoubtedly the toughest times in her life to date are amazing. Much the same can be said about the rest of her family and friends. Brettly also stands out to me. Despite being on many people's radar early on, he never let that dissuade him from carrying Mickey's torch.

That brings me to the rest of the locals. The passion and compassion shown throughout this has really struck me. The sense of community exhibited is unbelievable. I have learned so much about the culture and way of living in Louisiana and I am so much better for it. There is a never give up mentality that I hope I can carry with me well after the last report is typed and the last sentence is handed down. I just wanted to take this opportunity to give a big thank you to each and every one of you for not only doing everything you could to help bring Mickey home, but for the way you literally brought the rest of us into Cajun country and made us feel right at home. As an aside on that topic, I am a college football fan and when not rooting for my own team, now I won't be able to help but also yell "Geaux Tigers!!!" on Saturdays.

Also, my heart goes out to the family of BSL. From everything I've read, much of the investigation could not have happened without the courage they have shown in doing that which must have been difficult when it is a family member involved. I truly hope that the family finds strength and peace as time goes by.

At the end of the day, as I see it, its not about who posts more. It's not about finding that one clue that breaks a case wide open (though that would be nice). It's more about coming together as a community, whether it's in Lafayette or here in cyber space and saying, no, this violence, these actions, will not be tolerated and justice will be had. This coming together as a community, as I see it, is the best weapon in the fight against crime.

On a lighter note, out of curiosity I went back and started looking at some of my posts starting early on and, well, there is no doubt in my mind that Perry Mason I will never be. Sorry for the long rambling post, but thanks to everyone, from Mickey to the lurker who never posts and everyone in between.

Sometimes words are not required to send a powerful message and remind us that there are human beings with feelings, that are hurting on all sides.

I am praying that everyone has support or a support system in place as this is not over by any means. There are many questions to still be asked and which need to be answered. I thank you for sharing the photos with us. I said a very long time ago that there are victims on both sides and took alot of heat for stating that but I stand by it.

Evidence and statements gathered during the investigation of Mickey Shunick's murder at the hands of Brandon Lavergne will not be released to the public at this time because of ongoing investigations.

http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120827/NEWS01/208270314/Lavergne-records-remain-sealed

I figured they would try and hide behind this by using the ongoing investigation. Some aspects would be sensitive to other investigations but not all.

I wonder how long they will try and use this. More to the point, I wonder how long the public will allow them to do this. Time will tell.

To all of you in the path of Isaac please be very careful, stay safe, and know that many are sending thoughts and prayers to you all.

Be safe!!

Just some random thoughts that I've been wanting to post and probably should have long ago. I don't even know how I learned of Mickey's case. Somehow, though, I did and it lead me to this site. There was something about Mickey's spirit and the spirit of her family that drew me back day in and day out. I have found the outpouring of support from people that don't even live in the area to be just unbelievable. Whether its the moderators keeping us in check, while also keeping us somewhat focused on the task at hand, or whether its an occasional poster, each and everyone have my utmost respect and admiration for the tears and sweat you put into these cases.

As much as I have been inspired by those individuals, I have to say that the locals have found a special place in my heart. It starts with Mickey. Something about her spirit permeates even through the darkest of times. There is just something that a physical hand just can't touch and something that just couldn't be taken away no matter what she went through. I find that same type of spirit in Charlene. Her courage, strength and unwillingness to ever give up while at the same time maintaining an even keel throughout what is undoubtedly the toughest times in her life to date are amazing. Much the same can be said about the rest of her family and friends. Brettly also stands out to me. Despite being on many people's radar early on, he never let that dissuade him from carrying Mickey's torch.

That brings me to the rest of the locals. The passion and compassion shown throughout this has really struck me. The sense of community exhibited is unbelievable. I have learned so much about the culture and way of living in Louisiana and I am so much better for it. There is a never give up mentality that I hope I can carry with me well after the last report is typed and the last sentence is handed down. I just wanted to take this opportunity to give a big thank you to each and every one of you for not only doing everything you could to help bring Mickey home, but for the way you literally brought the rest of us into Cajun country and made us feel right at home. As an aside on that topic, I am a college football fan and when not rooting for my own team, now I won't be able to help but also yell "Geaux Tigers!!!" on Saturdays.

Also, my heart goes out to the family of BSL. From everything I've read, much of the investigation could not have happened without the courage they have shown in doing that which must have been difficult when it is a family member involved. I truly hope that the family finds strength and peace as time goes by.

At the end of the day, as I see it, its not about who posts more. It's not about finding that one clue that breaks a case wide open (though that would be nice). It's more about coming together as a community, whether it's in Lafayette or here in cyber space and saying, no, this violence, these actions, will not be tolerated and justice will be had. This coming together as a community, as I see it, is the best weapon in the fight against crime.

On a lighter note, out of curiosity I went back and started looking at some of my posts starting early on and, well, there is no doubt in my mind that Perry Mason I will never be. Sorry for the long rambling post, but thanks to everyone, from Mickey to the lurker who never posts and everyone in between.

Thank you for putting into words much which some of us think and feel!!

Totally O/T I am really curious about these hurricane parties that I have read so much about!! :angel:

RE: On Aug. 20, The Daily Advertiser submitted a public records request to Lafayette Police Chief Jim Craft and Hebert seeking the opportunity to review various statements, documents and evidence gathered during the three-month investigation that followed Shunick's disappearance.

Hebert responded that releasing the requested information "could severely jeopargize ongoing criminal investigations."

Among the requests was one for logs or reports of evidence recovered from Lavergne's property and home on Elaine Lane.

"It is this office's intention to ensure the integrity of all documentary, testimonial and physical evidence discovered thus far and not to release any information which could joepardize any jurisdiction or agency's investigations into other potential crimes," Hebert wrote.

RE/RE: Hebert responded that releasing the requested information "could severely jeopargize ongoing criminal investigations."

"When will they ever learn"? Silence/misinformation/lack of transparency by LE/Justice System only causes innocent victims lives lost and mounting cold cases..

"Silence & Misinformation is the predator's most Lethal Weapon"!!!

"Why, that it is important for the citizens to be informed of how cases and investigations are handled. "Public Safety"...

Transparency: 'Criminal Profiler Pat Brown'

We could use a strong accountability system not dependent on appeals, but rather oversight. The public/citizens have a right to know exactly how decisions are made and cases are handled.

It does not have to be in the midst of the case but certainly afterward there should be transparency. If there isn’t, how can we address issues of corruption*, incompetance, and error?

We need to know in order to fix problems and hold people accountable for what is supposed to be work done on behalf of the citizens. Somehow “the interest of the state” seems to preclude the citizenry which is odd considering the state IS the citizenry, well, at least in a democratic republic with a constitution..

"Prolific Psychopathic Serial Killer Brandon S. Lavergne, was actively preying on innocent victims, which began a minimum of 13 years ago". He was enabled to remain stealth due to the silence by LE/Justice System. An aware public's tips and the heroic sacrifice by Mickey Shunick, is the primary reason that BSL's trail of terror was abruptly ended.

"Why would you squander your most valuable investigative resource; the American public"?

Just to add to your thoughts Foxfire. Some of these cases are older and some information must be put back out into the public to raise the awareness again. People that had information that previously did not come forward may now do so for various reasons. Maybe they feel now that something they heard, saw, et al did not seem significant at the time.

The public is still critical to any case they are looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SammyC37