Brandon Scott Lavergne - Guilty Plea and LWOP

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
WHAAAATTT!!!!!???? Indifferent?!!! What exactly was his response. Did he just answer, "ugh, sir, I don't know." :furious:

He didn't say exactly what BSL said,just that he didn't show that he was remorseful or still thinking about what he had done. Warden Cain said I'm gonna keep him in there and let him think about what he has done for a long time!

Warden Cain thinks Brandon will try to give them legal problems... if they don't let him sleep with cpap mask!! I was thinking to my self, dude your in prison! You slid by being on death row by the skin of your teeth! You better learn how to sleep on your stomach and stop snoring like a noisy hog from now on!

images

hopefully Mr. Cain will fight it. People have been sleeping without these masks since the beginning of time. it is not a necessity. furthermore, he could use the cord to strangle himself etc. it's not something that should be in his cell.

images

hopefully Mr. Cain will fight it. People have been sleeping without these masks since the beginning of time. it is not a necessity. furthermore, he could use the cord to strangle himself etc. it's not something that should be in his cell.

You have a darn good point!!Very very true! And what you just said should knock any law suit Brandon will try to file right out of prison court!

The police were telling the Shunicks that MM was deceased at the time of Brandon's arrest. This was before they searched his property.

How did they know? Tom Shunick was wondering too, but wasn't given an explanation at that time.

Was there evidence left in the burned truck or other?

I remember Chief Craft saying they found "significant evidence" to back up the charge of murder-- even before the GJ indictment.

Hi all...I went tour Angola Prison today. Ate lunch at the ranch house and met and talked to Warden Cain,a few of the prison's Lawyers,and a bunch of other higher ups there at the prison.

And guess who they were talking about during lunch??? Yes, Brandon Scott Lavergne!!!

My little cousin is going (may have been today- but definitely this week) with her school on a field trip. She is 12!

Warden Cain thinks Brandon will try to give them legal problems... if they don't let him sleep with cpap mask!! I was thinking to my self, dude your in prison! You slid by being on death row by the skin of your teeth! You better learn how to sleep on your stomach and stop snoring like a noisy hog from now on!

Sorry to anyone that snores on here...Don't be offended...I have 3 family members that all snore like noisy hogs lol!

Maybe, but we don't know that. I think pressure from the family and public to find the body NOW led to acceptance of BSLs version of the confession. In addition, as I stated, I think the DA staff, particularly Mr. Stutes, was anxious to end this (partly because he wanted to retire) and he and the Shunick family felt the ends justified the means..after all, BSL will spend the rest of his life in prison, never to harm another innocent victim. We don't now and may never know what other evidence LE had available to use. Without eye witnesses, evidence can be fit into almost any fantasy BSL could dream.

One of the things I base my opinion on is BSLs quasi non-confession in Lisa's case. Evidence supports what he said happened, multiple facial and cranial fractures consistent with the beating he admitted. Then suffocation by plastic bag over the head. Remnants of the bag were still on the body when it was found. Yet, there remains this in the plea agreement - "...though he may be unwilling or unable to admit his participation in the acts constituting the First Degree Murder of Lisa Pate...". Hmmm, not sure that confession conforms to the evidence.

Here's my understanding from reading the plea document. With Mickey, he flat out admitted to having committed the acts constituting First Degree Murder and gave his version. While I certainly think that his version substantially conforms to all the evidence LE collected, there certainly was wiggle room for him to try to put his "spin" on it.

The plea on Lisa's case was completely different. In other types of cases, a defendant has the option of entering what's called a nolo contendere plea, which essentially means that while the defendant is not admitting guilt, he acknowledges that the prosecution has enough evidence to obtain a guilty verdict and therefore he is entering his nolo contendere plea allowing the Court to impose punishment. My recollection from the document indicated that such a plea cannot be entered on a capital offense in Louisiana and apparently therefore a guilty plea was entered. It seemed to me that BSL wanted to enter a nolo contendere plea but couldn't because it was a capital offense. That is why the facts discussed in that portion, really came from LE's investigation, not from a confession from BSL. I found that odd and part of me wondered why the Judge didn't press BSL for the facts of what happened in Lisa's case. It was almost like the Judge allowed what was in substance a nolo contendere plea simply because in form they called it a guilty plea. If I had to guess what issues BSL may bring up on appeal, I would bet that is among them.

My little cousin is going (may have been today- but definitely this week) with her school on a field trip. She is 12!

She probably will enjoy her visit very much as I did. It's not scary like you would expect a prison to be. Out of 5000 prisoners , I'd say I saw about 60 or 70 working outdoors today. The trustees were all extremely polite and had smiles on there faces. I went love crazy over their beautiful GIANT Percheron horses!! They have a camel there too lol!

He is living in the death row facility in solitary confinement. The warden was talking about how he came to prison expecting to use his "doctor prescribed" sleep apnea CPAP mask. And saying how he's not sure if he will allow Brandon to have it. He also said Brandon wrote him a few letters talking about how he wants to work on the prisons equipment just like he did off shore and how he has big ideas and yada yada! Warden Cain said he asked him about how he feels about what he did to Mickey and feels as though Brandon's response is indifferent.

He makes me so sick :sick:

He is living in the death row facility in solitary confinement. The warden was talking about how he came to prison expecting to use his "doctor prescribed" sleep apnea CPAP mask. And saying how he's not sure if he will allow Brandon to have it. He also said Brandon wrote him a few letters talking about how he wants to work on the prisons equipment just like he did off shore and how he has big ideas and yada yada! Warden Cain said he asked him about how he feels about what he did to Mickey and feels as though Brandon's response is indifferent.

That is absolutely insane.
I think Brandon is somehow under the impression that ANGOLA will allow him to eventually work outside of prison or something. Ha, not going to happen there, sorry buddy.

But they are making an EXCELLENT choice in keeping him in solitary confinement. If he's put into general population, he will most likely be killed. Therefore, any other victims will never be found (Though I don't see him telling where they are anyway) and the state will not be able to sentence him to death.

I feel like they want to keep BSL's life in their own hands, and not let it be taken by another prisoner, because that is "too easy"

This guy is going to find every way to try and move around the system.

As for him being "indifferent" about what he did to Mickey, he is not indifferent. He is just not capable of true feeling. That is why he went from writing a letter to the Shunicks, to now having an Oh Well, she's dead type of attitude. He only showed some remorse during his court days in an attempt to lessen his sentence, and avoid death.

I think he took advantage of the repeated interviews of the shunicks on tv which stated they didn't care about his sentence, they just wanted their daughter back. He was doing whatever he could to try to act remorseful, and possibly hoping the family would request a lesser sentence if he showed compassion.

But when he saw he wasn't getting it, his true nature just came out all over again.

This dude isn't staying awake every night thinking of Lisa, Mickey, or any of his other victims or their families.
He's requesting special masks from Angola prison in order to help himself sleep more peacefully because of a sleep condition. Always thinking of himself. He's a complete narcissist.

I think Brandon is somehow under the impression that ANGOLA will allow him to eventually work outside of prison or something. Ha, not going to happen there, sorry buddy.

But they are making an EXCELLENT choice in keeping him in solitary confinement. If he's put into general population, he will most likely be killed. Therefore, any other victims will never be found (Though I don't see him telling where they are anyway) and the state will not be able to sentence him to death.

I feel like they want to keep BSL's life in their own hands, and not let it be taken by another prisoner, because that is "too easy"

As for him being "indifferent" about what he did to Mickey, he is not indifferent. He is just not capable of true feeling. That is why he went from writing a letter to the Shunicks, to now having an Oh Well, she's dead type of attitude. He only showed some remorse during his court days in an attempt to lessen his sentence, and avoid death.

I think he took advantage of the repeated interviews of the shunicks on tv which stated they didn't care about his sentence, they just wanted their daughter back. He was doing whatever he could to try to act remorseful, and possibly hoping the family would request a lesser sentence if he showed compassion.

But when he saw he wasn't getting it, his true nature just came out all over again.

This dude isn't staying awake every night thinking of Lisa, Mickey, or any of his other victims or their families.
He's requesting special masks from Angola prison in order to help himself sleep more peacefully because of a sleep condition. Always thinking of himself. He's a complete narcissist.

You hit the nail on the head! Right on!

Bolded by me:

Maybe this is the authorities bargaining chip in letting BSL have more freedom...you tell us more and we give you some concessions sort of thing.

All IMOO

@OMTS, Was this person with something in BSLs possession, a friend of Mickey's? Can you say? Just curiousity on my part.

Bolded by me:

Maybe this is the authorities bargaining chip in letting BSL have more freedom...you tell us more and we give you some concessions sort of thing.

All IMOO

I don't think that's legal, though. As I believe the DOC works- an inmate can be held in solitary or administrative segregation for many things. It seems like Warden Cain has placed BSL in solitary for his own safety at the moment. I believe that's sort of standard procedure when a new lifer arrives at Angola to protect the inmate (especially when it involved a high profile case) an to allow the staff a chance to monitor/assess the offender as well as to give the inmate time to adjust to his new life in prison. The DOC cannot bargain with an inmate to cooperate with past crimes. LE and the DOC are two very different things. The DOC can investigate crimes the inmate commits in prison and can report any questionable statements that inmate may make about crimes to LE but I believe once he is in the DOC, the prison itself cannot pressure him to cooperate with any open, active, ongoing investigations by taking his priviledges away. Inmates do have "rights" which is a whole other hot topic for me. Before conviction, i believe in his constitutional rights- no matter how horrible I felt his crime was. Everyone deserves a fair day in court (or to confess!) I believe some prisons allow too many freedoms or "rights" to violent offenders. Seems like BSL isn't getting those YET and I hope he stays in solitary for a looooong time.

All my own opinion, logic, etc.
And I will add- though I don't believe it's legal as I stated.. No one can know for sure if it actually does happen that way. It's possible though I think it's not supposed to. Solitary seems suitable and perfectly acceptable to me for a man like BSL- sexual predator and murderer.

The plea on Lisa's case was completely different. In other types of cases, a defendant has the option of entering what's called a nolo contendere plea, which essentially means that while the defendant is not admitting guilt, he acknowledges that the prosecution has enough evidence to obtain a guilty verdict and therefore he is entering his nolo contendere plea allowing the Court to impose punishment. My recollection from the document indicated that such a plea cannot be entered on a capital offense in Louisiana and apparently therefore a guilty plea was entered. It seemed to me that BSL wanted to enter a nolo contendere plea but couldn't because it was a capital offense. That is why the facts discussed in that portion, really came from LE's investigation, not from a confession from BSL. I found that odd and part of me wondered why the Judge didn't press BSL for the facts of what happened in Lisa's case. It was almost like the Judge allowed what was in substance a nolo contendere plea simply because in form they called it a guilty plea. If I had to guess what issues BSL may bring up on appeal, I would bet that is among them.

Yes, everything you say is included in the Plea Agreement. IMO the objectionable language should not have been allowed, but, DA and apparently Judge, were willing to accept this for the sake of BSL signing the plea agreement and accepting the life sentences. Or, perhaps they accepted it because the most incriminating evidence came in the form of former cellmates testimony about what BSL told them. We don't know, because everything is sealed......

CajunA, Warden Cain, seems like a very spiritually perceptive man and has witnessed a lot of evil while at Angola. Did BSL's evil aura come up in the conversation at lunch by him or others?

Imo, BSL's preferred/primary victims were prostitutes. Due to the violence & rage that he displayed while being with them, as well as some vanishing after being with him. Word got out and Imo, BSL was blacklisted by many of the call girls.. Prostitutes would have been hesitant to report this to LE & BSL was aware of this.. Once blacklisted, BSL began preying on other unsuspecting victims of opportunity. jmho

Imo, BSL's preferred/primary victims were prostitutes. Due to the violence & rage that he displayed while being with them, as well as some vanishing after being with him. Word got out and Imo, BSL was blacklisted by many of the call girls.. Prostitutes would have been hesitant to report this to LE & BSL was aware of this.. Once blacklisted, BSL began preying on other unsuspecting victims of opportunity. jmho

Couldn't agree more....makes complete sense to me.....he's a psychopath for sure. :maddening:

CajunA, Warden Cain, seems like a very spiritually perceptive man and has witnessed a lot of evil while at Angola. Did BSL's evil aura come up in the conversation at lunch by him or others?

LOL, I know Burl very well, he is not necessarily a spiritual man. He very effectively uses religion as a tool. He has transformed Angola from the deadliest to one of the least violent maximum security prisons in the country. Remember, Angola holds only the most violent of state's criminals. More than half are lifers. Almost all are violent. There are more than likely many similar to BSL there. Cain uses inmate generated religion to control - and he does grant privileges to instill favorable behavior. Most of the general population who abide by Cains preferred behavior live in dorm type quarters and are basically self policed and controlled. Regular church services and no profanity makes life much easier. Those who do not conform are housed in cellblocks and the warden see to it that they definitely have no privileges. Its amazingly easy to tour the prison. My wife and I stopped a few years ago while touring area plantation homes. A state employee 'tour guide?" got in our car with us and took us on what seemed like a 5 hr. ride all through the prison - stables full of beautiful horses, kennels, cemetery, death house, even the dorms where we ate the same meal prisoners eat (nominal cost, maybe $3-$4). Definitely not delicious. All the while, prisoners were friendly and courteous and we always felt safe.

@OMTS, Was this person with something in BSLs possession, a friend of Mickey's? Can you say? Just curiousity on my part.

Never met bsl in her life. At least not to her knowledge.
Though we both knew bsl looked familiar ever since his first mugshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Attn2detale