Brandon Scott Lavergne - Guilty Plea and LWOP

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is this cane field? I realize they are huge and dense, but you guys are always mapping things out and had WB totally reconnaissed. I think about this cane field. It must have a road
through it, and not very many people would have access to it. Perhaps BSL knew who
owned this field, or it was owned by someone from his troubled past.

Respectfully Snipped:
I too have thought of this infamous cane field. These are on a curve by where I live. They are ready to be harvested now, but this is when they were planted. I only show you this because this cane field has bothered me since Mickey went missing. There is no way anyone here would think anything of a gunshot here. I say this because there are hunters all hours of the day and night, in ponds, fields, ectra with guns. If you will look on the map, you can see little intrances to the fields along the drainage area. Now these are like dirt roads that go into and around these fields. I have thought many times he could have gone here and never once been seen. Especially at the time of night/morning he would have been there.
I hope this works with the google map. [ame="http://maps.google.com/?ll=30.421366,-92.239108&spn=0.029865,0.025749&t=h&z=15"]http://maps.google.com/?ll=30.421366,-92.239108&spn=0.029865,0.025749&t=h&z=15[/ame]

It works, you just have to click on the link in the blue box. Thank you GrannyA :)

I find it odd that BSL would bring a victim near his location, however, it makes me think this is not the first victim or instance ... he truly makes me sick to my stomach.

I never believed the cane field story. IMO, he shot MS before he left the university complex, somewhere between Blackham and the Cajundome, perhaps around the Advertiser site. He then went straight home to lick his wounds and bandage his hand. He then drove to Pinesclair to dump and cover her body. (If he did place her body under his trailer, there would still have been blood residue dogs would have hit on when LE searched. Knowing that, why would Stutes agree to the language in his 'confession'?) BTW, there are many more rice fields than cane fields in Acadia Parish. Of course, BSL was VERY familar with the entire area of Acadia, St. Landry and Evangeline parishes, having lived in multiple locations through the years. He even lived in Oakdale (Allen Parish) where he had to pass the Pinesclair Cemetery hundreds of times.

I don't believe BSL's story either. But I don't think that he shot her there before he left the university complex. A gun shot is loud and I think a gun shot would have at least alerted someone or someone would have heard it. It would have been way too much of a risk. Plus Mickey had just been hit by a truck, I think it is believable that for that initial time she may have been knocked out of putting up less of a fight at that time due to that. But I could be wrong.

FIND MICKEY SHUNICK NOW - Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/findmickeynow

University of Louisiana-Lafayette is providing a space on campus to create a pocket park and install a “ghost bike” to honor Mickey Shunick. Immediately following the Community Celebration in Honor of Mickey Shunick, a bike ride will lead to this pocket park location at St. Landry Extension and Dean Street. Bicyclists will leave Parc International at 4:00pm and arrive at the pocket park at 4:45. UL President Joseph Savoie will be in attendance during the installation of the ghost bike.

Immediately following, the Shunick family asks the community attend the UL football game at Cajun Field. Barricades will be set up near “student tail gating” to act as bike racks. Mickey will be honored at 5:45pm, prior to kick off. Please consider buying advance tickets for Section J, which are $30. Students with an ID who are part of the Celebration are encouraged to sit in Section K. Please enter the stadium at Gate D.

The game will be dedicated to the memory of all UL students who we have lost this year.

All events are rain or shine.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmXfdsffOkQ"]In Memory of Mickey Shunick - YouTube[/ame]

In Memory of Mickey Shunick

I never believed the cane field story. IMO, he shot MS before he left the university complex, somewhere between Blackham and the Cajundome, perhaps around the Advertiser site. He then went straight home to lick his wounds and bandage his hand. He then drove to Pinesclair to dump and cover her body. (If he did place her body under his trailer, there would still have been blood residue dogs would have hit on when LE searched. Knowing that, why would Stutes agree to the language in his 'confession'?) BTW, there are many more rice fields than cane fields in Acadia Parish. Of course, BSL was VERY familar with the entire area of Acadia, St. Landry and Evangeline parishes, having lived in multiple locations through the years. He even lived in Oakdale (Allen Parish) where he had to pass the Pinesclair Cemetery hundreds of times.

First, he didn't "know" all of that. I think the safer assumption is that the visit to the cane field is consistent with all other evidence. Remember, they were able to track his movements with his phone etc... to verify what areas he traveled to. Remember also that he didn't go straight to the cane field. The plea document talks about him driving to various areas with Mickey (though not specifically stated where) prior to going to the cane field. My final thoughts on it are what difference does it make if he shot her in the University complex or the cane fields? Either way he's a dirt bag who should never see the sun again. Personally I think the cane field makes more sense because you're less likely to draw attention from others when you fire a gun than if you shot it in a semi-residential area. Just my thoughts.

As stated before IMO some things just don't fit. Something else that has bothered me, I can't find the link maybe Foxfire can find it but after the plea Keith Stutes said in an interview that he went back and reviewed his files and said that he felt that the Pate case was stronger than the Shunick case. So how much evidence did they really have in Mickey's case or what additional evidence did they find regarding Lisa?

I don't remember that article so I'm not sure what he was talking about. The first thing that came to my mind was that in Lisa's case they had a body. Prior to the plea, they hadn't found Mickey. Having said that, to me it sounds like fluff talk. Either that or he was putting a lot of stock into testimony from convicts, which is dangerous because oftentimes their testimony is discounted by jurors.

BSL's story is hard to believe. Will some one please remind him that the one reason he spent time in jail for the assault charge was that DNA was found at the scene. And here he is saying that Mickey took the knife and attacked him(Blood usually flies when someone is cut and blood is DNA) with the same knife and in the same vehicle, right next to him, he stabbed her a few times and there is no way some of his dripping blood off of his cut finger wouldn't of dripped on Mickey and his DNA is on her.
If there are any serial killers on here reading, you need to make up a better confession than what he did, because his is not to believable.

I highly doubt they were going to run DNA on anything found on Mickey by the time they found her. Giving up where she was at was all part of the plea deal, obviating the need for any further testing. Personally, I think much of the plea document was written BY THE DA as it was for the benefit of the family. For example, the following description has absolutely nothing to do with BSL's version of events and adds nothing to establishing the elements necessary for the charges, but the following language was included for some reason by the DA: "Mickey fought with the much larger and stronger Defendant ...

To me, the only reason to include language such as that is for the family's benefit. That Mickey had a fighting spirit, even in those final minutes. MOO

First, he didn't "know" all of that. I think the safer assumption is that the visit to the cane field is consistent with all other evidence. Remember, they were able to track his movements with his phone etc... to verify what areas he traveled to. Remember also that he didn't go straight to the cane field. The plea document talks about him driving to various areas with Mickey (though not specifically stated where) prior to going to the cane field. My final thoughts on it are what difference does it make if he shot her in the University complex or the cane fields? Either way he's a dirt bag who should never see the sun again. Personally I think the cane field makes more sense because you're less likely to draw attention from others when you fire a gun than if you shot it in a semi-residential area. Just my thoughts.

Your assumption may be correct, but we will probably never know. BTW, the search of the property took place before the pleas agreement was negotiated. If dogs had hit on blood residue under the trailer, Stutes would have known that prior to accepting BSLs version of what happened. As for 'consistent evidence' regarding the cane field, all we have is BSLs word on that. It is just a possible that MS was initially temporarily stunned; after coming to she maced then stabbed BSL - at that time, he felt he had to shoot her to protect himself. That area would be several blocks from residences and girls don't board in the nearby sorority houses . Gunshot like sounds are not that uncommon (motorcycle and vehicle backfire, etc) especially at that time. As for tracking his location by cell tower hits, its not likely he was making many calls after being stabbed and having his finger almost severed to the point of requiring surgery. I personally find this scenario more plausible than MS miraculously coming to after a 40 minute ride to a cane field and attacking BSL again. JMHO.....

Your assumption may be correct, but we will probably never know. BTW, the search of the property took place before the pleas agreement was negotiated. If dogs had hit on blood residue under the trailer, Stutes would have known that prior to accepting BSLs version of what happened. As for 'consistent evidence' regarding the cane field, all we have is BSLs word on that. It is just a possible that MS was initially temporarily stunned; after coming to she maced then stabbed BSL - at that time, he felt he had to shoot her to protect himself. That area would be several blocks from residences and girls don't board in the nearby sorority houses . Gunshot like sounds are not that uncommon (motorcycle and vehicle backfire, etc) especially at that time. As for tracking his location by cell tower hits, its not likely he was making many calls after being stabbed and having his finger almost severed to the point of requiring surgery. I personally find this scenario more plausible than MS miraculously coming to after a 40 minute ride to a cane field and attacking BSL again. JMHO.....

I hear you and you very well could be right. And don't get me wrong, I undoubtedly believe BSL puts his own spin on things. I just think LE would be able to verify BSL was, in fact, in the area of the cane fields, through pinging his phone. He doesn't have to be using his phone in order to ping it. While I don't doubt BSL would have shot her near Coliseum if he absolutely had to, I don't believe he would otherwise do that because it increases his risk.

@reedus I agree with you about the statement being the wording of the DA. Why would BSL say MS was enticed, persuaded or forced to get in his truck? Pretty sure BSL knows how that happened. Pretty sure we all know. The correct word is forced! I can't think too much about it. Still pains me.

I don't remember that article so I'm not sure what he was talking about. The first thing that came to my mind was that in Lisa's case they had a body. Prior to the plea, they hadn't found Mickey. Having said that, to me it sounds like fluff talk. Either that or he was putting a lot of stock into testimony from convicts, which is dangerous because oftentimes their testimony is discounted by jurors.

I don't recall those Stutes comment either. All I recall is him stating there were at least 3 former BSL cellmates willing to testify as to BSLs description of LPs murder to them. Don't recall stating any other evidence. Its amazing how little we know about LPs murder. The 2008 grand jury failed to indict or clear him of 2nd degree murder. This was just prior to his release from prison from the sexual assault sentence. Was this rushed to grand jury before his release? BSL was reported as a suspect immediately (apparently because LP coworkers saw her leave with him). The case sat cold for 8 years before it was presented to the grand jury. Don't know what or if any other evidence (other than cellmate testimony) was presented. It seems the only thing media was able to turn up in regards to LP was the grand jury results and an old Advertiser obit. Not sure that solving this was too high a priority with Acadia SO; even LPs brother commented that LPs death was attributable to her lifestyle, drug and arrest problems. Sad. All I know is that LPs son Bryant's comment about the BSL plea agreement haunts me: "We're pleased that justice has finally be served. We wish it had been solved sooner, Mickey would still be alive."

I hear you and you very well could be right. And don't get me wrong, I undoubtedly believe BSL puts his own spin on things. I just think LE would be able to verify BSL was, in fact, in the area of the cane fields, through pinging his phone. He doesn't have to be using his phone in order to ping it. While I don't doubt BSL would have shot her near Coliseum if he absolutely had to, I don't believe he would otherwise do that because it increases his risk.

Yes, I agree with your ping theory,......its just that he would have passed 'in the vicinity' of numerous cane fields between USL and his home. As for the increased risks, I doubt that someone under attack, who thinks he is facing critical, fatal injury uses logic to assess risks.

None of us know, only BSL knows for sure. Just like the negotiated plea agreement. I think DA merely transcribed what BSL told them - he may have let them include that quoted sentence because he was described as bigger and stronger. But, by all means, he was holding the winning hand, the body and DA just wanted MS and they wanted BSL put away for good. IMO, they didn't squabble much about the wording..

KLFY 10 Acadiana's Multimedia Station

http://www.facebook.com/katctv3 (Photo)

Mickey Shunick's friends are planting a very special tribute that will be unveiled at tomorrow's celebration. Catch a glimpse tonight at 5&6. -Caroline Balchunas

I highly doubt they were going to run DNA on anything found on Mickey by the time they found her. Giving up where she was at was all part of the plea deal, obviating the need for any further testing. Personally, I think much of the plea document was written BY THE DA as it was for the benefit of the family. For example, the following description has absolutely nothing to do with BSL's version of events and adds nothing to establishing the elements necessary for the charges, but the following language was included for some reason by the DA: "Mickey fought with the much larger and stronger Defendant ...

To me, the only reason to include language such as that is for the family's benefit. That Mickey had a fighting spirit, even in those final minutes. MOO

Let me clear it up. If he had dumped her in that cane field after she had stabbed him and he stabbed her, why wouldn't they had run DNA for evidence and why wouldn't his DNA been on her? They did do some DNA testing on her after she was found.

Let me clear it up. If he had dumped her in that cane field after she had stabbed him and he stabbed her, why wouldn't they had run DNA for evidence and why wouldn't his DNA been on her? They did do some DNA testing on her after she was found.

I suspect surface DNA would have deteriorated or been contaminated. They may have done DNA for identification purposes.

FYI-

http://www.katc.com/news/la-death-row-inmate-cleared-by-dna/

La. death row inmate cleared by DNA
Posted: Sep 28, 2012

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - A 38-year-old man wrongly convicted of raping and killing his 14-year-old step-cousin in 1997 was released Friday from Louisiana's death row after his confession was determined to be false and DNA tests found him to be innocent

"There can be no stronger argument against capital punishment than the condemnation of a truly innocent man," said LeBoeuf. "Louisiana citizens should demand a moratorium on executions until they can be assured that there are no more miscarriages of justice like the one that occurred in this case."

Since 2000, six people have been exonerated from Louisiana's death row, the Innocence Project said. Scheck said Thibodeaux was the 18th death row inmate in the United States to be exonerated by DNA.

(snipped-read more)

Foxfire
I personally want to thank you for all of your efforts, insight, knowledge and opinions. I can tell you truly care. I have no idea about you personally, except that you are exceptional, doing the work we all should be doing. I just hope I am saying enough here about your service. Thank you.

@reedus I agree with you about the statement being the wording of the DA. Why would BSL say MS was enticed, persuaded or forced to get in his truck? Pretty sure BSL knows how that happened. Pretty sure we all know. The correct word is forced! I can't think too much about it. Still pains me.

BBM
Here lies the Cajunet's majority silence. JMO

Nevermind. I looked it up. Stands for be on the lookout.
Now my question is, when there is a BOLO issued, is it statewide, jurisdiction wide?

I don't recall those Stutes comment either. All I recall is him stating there were at least 3 former BSL cellmates willing to testify as to BSLs description of LPs murder to them. Don't recall stating any other evidence. Its amazing how little we know about LPs murder. The 2008 grand jury failed to indict or clear him of 2nd degree murder. This was just prior to his release from prison from the sexual assault sentence. Was this rushed to grand jury before his release? BSL was reported as a suspect immediately (apparently because LP coworkers saw her leave with him). The case sat cold for 8 years before it was presented to the grand jury. Don't know what or if any other evidence (other than cellmate testimony) was presented. It seems the only thing media was able to turn up in regards to LP was the grand jury results and an old Advertiser obit. Not sure that solving this was too high a priority with Acadia SO; even LPs brother commented that LPs death was attributable to her lifestyle, drug and arrest problems. Sad. All I know is that LPs son Bryant's comment about the BSL plea agreement haunts me: "We're pleased that justice has finally be served. We wish it had been solved sooner, Mickey would still be alive."

I was afraid it may have been missed I was hoping Foxfire would have seen it. I just know it was an article in the media just a day or so after the plea. I just remember him saying that he went back over the files and he felt Lisa's case was stronger. This really bothered me as I felt they had a lot of evidence in Mickey's case and what would have happened if he hadn't confessed would they have been able to convict him. Just wish I could find the article. Just not that good at researching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx