Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
sntemp said:
You all do realize the Travel book story is not real right? They call it satire or something like that.
Yeah I know, it's all a spoof. Just thought I'd bring a bit of humour into the thread, I think I'm going crazy, I can't keep up with all the threads, there are so many posts at the moment. there's not enough hours in the day to keep track of everything................. I need a coffee!!! :) :)

Yeah, I think my last post is the first time I posted, gone back to the threads and actually seen my id as the last post.

Aug 24, 2006 4:57 am US/Mountain

Prosecutors: Karr Investigation In Early Stages
(AP) BOULDER, Colo. Boulder County prosecutors said in a court filing Wednesday their investigation of John Mark Karr in the JonBenet Ramsey slaying is in its early stages, but California officials said they told Boulder authorities five years ago that Karr had "an apparent fascination" with the death of the 6-year-old beauty queen.--->>

The district attorney's court filing said much of the evidence used to arrest Karr has not been made public, "nor has the media developed it independently."

The motion, filed in Boulder County District Court, argued against allowing the public to see the affidavit outlining the evidence used to obtain a warrant for Karr's arrest.
--->>
http://cbs4denver.com/crime/local_story_236065650.html

Has just had a breaking news interrupt saying that JMK is in a holding area at the L.A. Jail waiting to be transported to airport to head to CO.
This is soooooo contrary to what was said as late as last evening by his own attorney.
Pardon me while my head spins.

Today's Rocky Mountain News:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/local/article/0,1299,DRMN_15_4940501,00.html

The DNA evidence in the JonBenet Ramsey case is solid, and there's a strong possibility it points to the killer, a self-proclaimed neutral observer and expert on DNA analysis said Wednesday.
Rock Harmon, a senior deputy prosecutor in Alameda County, Calif., said there's been spin regarding the DNA from two sides - those arguing for the Ramseys' guilt, and those promoting an intruder - but that attention must be paid to the biological evidence in JonBenet's underwear.

"It's there, it can't be avoided," Harmon said. "Strange male DNA shouldn't be anywhere around a dead young girl."

The most important sample, experts appear to agree, is a piece of DNA that was mixed with a spot of JonBenet's blood on her underwear. That DNA, recovered in 1999, comes from an unidentified male, and includes 10 genetic markers, enough for it to have been submitted into an FBI database that can match unknown DNA samples with other offenders.

That piece of DNA evidence is separate from poor quality DNA recovered from underneath JonBenet's fingernails and an earlier sample, taken in 1997, from another bloody spot on JonBenet's underpants that yielded fewer genetic markers, Wood told the News on Wednesday.

Another view of the DNA in JonBenet's underpants has been offered by the prosecutor who ran the original grand jury investigation into the murder that yielded no indictments when it was ended in 1999.

Michael Kane conjectured in 2002 that the male DNA in JonBenet's underwear might not be critical evidence and could have been left at the time of the clothing's manufacture.

Harmon, who called Kane's theory "reaching," pointed out that the various sides are painting themselves into a box. For example, if the DNA doesn't match Karr's, then - under Wood's view - Karr almost assuredly isn't the killer.

By the same token, law enforcement personnel who want to discount DNA that doesn't point to the Ramseys could also find themselves stuck if the DNA doesn't match Karr. Under their view that the existing DNA isn't important and could have been left by a source outside the crime, Karr could still be guilty.

How can CA attorneys represent someone in a criminal case in Colorado? Do they have licenses to practice in CO??? :waitasec:

Does anyone think Jamie and Patience WANT this guy to be convicted?? They just seem to be behaving like the most anti-defense attorneys I've ever seen.

julianne said:
Nancy Grace said that Harmon & Van Zandt aren't even licensed to practice law in Colorado, so if that's the case, how can they represent him once (and IF) he actually does get extradited there?

Under the process called pro hac vice (for this one particular occasion), states can permit out-of-state attorneys to represent defendants.

No one really knows if JMK is guilty or innocent. There is a lot of physical evidence to be evaluated. Palm print, DNA, hairs, foot print.

If he is guilty there will be even more incriminating evidence pouring in.

Boulder police is evaluating all of this right now.

Time and all this attention is on the prosecution’s side.

All of the media attention has people coming out of the woodwork with old letters and witnesses.

I wouldn’t be astonished if one of his own letters crops up with the SBTC.

Any one single piece of evidence could be a slam dunk for the prosecution.

Or as the months pass by there may not be enough evidence for a charge or a conviction.

Speculation is fine but only a fool would claim his innocence or guilt at this point.

Wudge said:
Under the process called pro hac vice (for this one particular occasion) states can permit out-of-state attorneys to represent defendants.
Wudge, Karr made a very poor choice for an attorney. Don't know if you saw my earlier posting, but Jamie Harmon has been raked over the coals by judges on three separate occasions for providing incorrect advice to her clients. In one case a judge threw a completed case out, when she advised a client to plead guilty in a sexual molestation charge and told him he could have his record expunged after a year, which was completely false.

Carthage woman says she knew John Mark Karr

"I'm surprised at what he confessed to, but I'm not surprised that he confessed to something that's grabbing headlines. It doesn't surprise me," said Janna Jones.

Jones went to high school with John Mark Karr in Hamilton, Alabama. She remembers Karr as being quiet and awkward. Although Karr kept to himself, Jones says he cried out for attention and wanted to be recognized.

"He was very noticeable because he had a Lamborghini. It was the only one I ever saw in Alabama," said Jones.

Did John Mark Karr really kill JonBenet Ramsey? A Carthage woman who went to high school with Karr says she believes he didn't do it. And as News 10 Now's Amy Ohler explains, she says Karr's confession is a way for him to get instant notoriety.

Jones, who now lives in Carthage, says when she saw Karr in the news it didn't surprise her. She believes Karr confessed to killing JonBenet Ramsey because he wants his name nationally known.

"He wants people to know who he is that's the bottom line. He just wants his name on everybody's lips. He wants the attention pure and simple, and that's what we're giving him, he's feeding off of us," said Jones.

Jones says she knows Karr didn't kill JonBenet. She believes he's not crazy and that this is all part of his plan to get notoriety.

"Even if the charges are dropped, people are always going to remember who John Karr is. It's perfect in a way, because he didn't have to commit the crime to make history," said Jones.

Jones believes when Karr confessed he knew exactly what he was doing.

http://news10now.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=77325

"How can CA attorneys represent someone in a criminal case in Colorado? Do they have licenses to practice in CO???"

Nearly every state has laws were an attorney can petition the courts for the right to be able to represent a particular client in their states court without having passed the bar in that state. The process has a name but it escapes me right now.

sntemp said:
"How can CA attorneys represent someone in a criminal case in Colorado? Do they have licenses to practice in CO???"

Nearly every state has laws were an attorney can petition the courts for the right to be able to represent a particular client in their states court without having passed the bar in that state. The process has a name but it escapes me right now.
Courtesy of Wudge:

Wudge
Registered User Join Date: Aug 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianne
Nancy Grace said that Harmon & Van Zandt aren't even licensed to practice law in Colorado, so if that's the case, how can they represent him once (and IF) he actually does get extradited there?

Under the process called pro hac vice (for this one particular occasion), states can permit out-of-state attorneys to represent defendants.

An out of state attorney can also petition the court to allow them to work under the license of another attorney, whereby that attorney would sponsor them and agree to "watch over" the case, so to speak. If Harmon, et al have associates or contacts in CO, they could get in.

This is a bad move typically, since every state has their own laws and peculiarities of process, it is difficult to just pick up and try a case in another state. In a case like this, it is particularly important to have skilled and knowledgable attorneys who know their way around a CO courtroom, considering the dire results of a finding of guilty. That is, if you do not want the finding of guilt...

John Mark Karr bragged of being 'like a wolf' sexually

SAN JOSE, Costa Rica -- John Mark Karr bragged to his landlord's family that "sexually, I am like a wolf" and said he preferred girls to women when he worked in Costa Rica as an English teacher, his former housemates told The Associated Press.

Karr, now jailed in Los Angeles after his arrest in Thailand, faces a Colorado warrant for the 1996 murder of 6-year-old JonBenet Ramsey.

Karr traveled around the world since then, including brief stays in Honduras and Costa Rica, where he rented a room in 2004 from Canadian John Hall, who teaches at a private university in the capital of San Jose.

Hall, 42, told the AP in an exclusive interview that he rented a room to Karr through an Internet posting, but asked him to leave after about five weeks because Karr was saying "rude and inappropriate things" to his Costa Rican wife and stepdaughters, then 16 and 20.

"I threw him out because he was causing problems for them," Hall said.

One stepdaughter, now 22, told the AP that Karr said several times that he liked girls.

"My mother asked him whether he was looking for a girlfriend in Costa Rica and he answered that he didn't like adult women, only small ones," she said, speaking on condition her name not be published. "I thought he meant young women, and never imagined he meant girls."

After kicking Karr out, Hall remained suspicious enough to do a computer search to see if he was a sex predator.

"I suspected he was a pedophile. I looked on the Internet to see if there was something on him, but I didn't find anything," he said.

http://mdn.mainichi-msn.co.jp/international/news/20060824p2g00m0in036000c.html

Buzzm1 said:
Wudge, Karr made a very poor choice for an attorney. Don't know if you saw my earlier posting, but Jamie Harmon has been raked over the coals by judges on three separate occasions for providing incorrect advice to her clients. In one case a judge threw a completed case out, when she advised a client to plead guilty in a sexual molestation charge and told him he could have his record expunged after a year, which was completely false.

Good Morning Buzz,

I am surprised that a well known lawyer of the ilk such as Gerry Spence or F Lee Bailey haven't come to the forefront to represent Karr. There must be many top notch lawyers likie this, like the gal who defended Kobe Bryant or the gal who represented the teacher in Seattle who had 2 children with one of her students, who would gladly represent this guy.

It must be the case falls into the category of one that will waste a lot of time, and not worth the powder to blow it out of existance!

Scandi

On some show last night they were interviewing a girl whose yearbook he signed. Apparently, he was best friends through highschool with someone who was later found to be a sex offender, he's now registered. She did not name him.

Birds of a feather

scandi said:
Good Morning Buzz,

I am surprised that a well known lawyer of the ilk such as Gerry Spence or F Lee Bailey haven't come to the forefront to represent Karr. There must be many top notch lawyers likie this, like the gal who defended Kobe Bryant or the gal who represented the teacher in Seattle who had 2 children with one of her students, who would gladly represent this guy.

It must be the case falls into the category of one that will waste a lot of time, and not worth the powder to blow it out of existance!

Scandi
Good morning Scandi, apparently Karr chose Jamie Harmon and Patience Van Zandt because of his 2001 Petaluma association with Patience Van Zandt. I finally heard Patience Van Zandt speak and she is level headed and seems to be a good attorney. Jamie Harmon, on the other hand, lives up to the press reports of her incompetence. True, Karr could easily obtain a top-notch attorney in CO, and hopefully he still will, if that becomes necessary. If Karr remains in CA to face charges here, it won't matter very much who represents him. That case is pretty cut, and dried, and I don't think an attorney can do much for him. I think Karr going to CO is still very iffy.

I agree Buzz, At least Fox is more up to date on the news of the case this morning. It often seems to me they are reporting things we have heard the day before, but I just heard a report about the day care center he had 6 mos after JB's death.

Scandi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member