Brendan Dassey's Habeas Corpus Petition Granted

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well isnt this wonderful!!! Some good news for a change!! Poor kid.

The trials and tribulations that are ahead of this man are, imo, immense. He had trouble before prison, coming out is going to be difficult - my only hope is the movie will result in a go fund me and that those that have the abiltiy will at least give him a chance to settle back in with food and place to stay.

The suing the state thing is always a forever deal - he is limited - hopefully he can just try to acclimate , once again, to being on the outside and do ok.

HAts off to the filmakers huh!

With regard to Brandens interview,

Multiple times the interviews are clearly paused, and restarted. Also, the detective interviewing in the first one I started to watch, only a few seconds in, clearly states " Now Brendan, you know you are free to leave anytime. We are just going to go over the stuff we talked about on Monday... "

What do you mean information was volunteered " without prompting " Hoosen_Fenger?

Brendan had obviously been TALKED to by LE BEFORE these interviews were RECORDED into VARIOUS pieces..

Dexter ~ you have a point. There are definitely interviews or discussions that were never recorded, IIRC, they are between the 27th of February to March 1st. It was in that time frame that they put Brendan and Barb in a hotel... ya know, for their "safety".

Hoosen_Fenger was talking about the interviews that were done in Crivitz of BD and SA very early on. And I do disagree..... that interview was conducted in a very similar way to the interviews later on with Wiegert/Fassbender.... they lied to him. When Brendan said that he didn't see her that day, they lied to him. They lied and said the bus driver and ALL the kids on the bus that day would say something different, so cmon Brendan... did you see her? As the judge in this recent judgement has pointed out, BD was just not capable of handling the tactics that they used. And even with the information they got from Brendan on Nov 6th, he was never a suspect, not until February, not until they needed him to be a suspect and needed more for their case IMO

Well isnt this wonderful!!! Some good news for a change!! Poor kid.

The trials and tribulations that are ahead of this man are, imo, immense. He had trouble before prison, coming out is going to be difficult - my only hope is the movie will result in a go fund me and that those that have the abiltiy will at least give him a chance to settle back in with food and place to stay.

The suing the state thing is always a forever deal - he is limited - hopefully he can just try to acclimate , once again, to being on the outside and do ok.

HAts off to the filmakers huh!

The poor kid has a long road ahead of him :( There is a ton of family drama going on right now too, mostly dealing with Paypal accounts set up for him and dealing with family members acting like they have been behind him this whole time when in reality, they haven't, and they only jumped on the bandwagon after the documentary came out and they saw all the support.

Hats off to the filmmakers for bringing everything to light..... but bigger hats off to Brendan's lawyers who have been fighting for him and I believe filed this before the documentary came out ;-)

Hi Everyone.
I'm not here to get a rise or anything, I've posted on multiple topics in the past and try to remain balanced. It surprises me that people admit to not reading up on EVERYTHING available in this case, before committing to a declaration of innocence or guilt.

I am in a minority of people who think that both Dassey and Avery are Guilty. Put yourself in the States position after the informal interviews on the 5th & 6th of November in the back of the police car in Marionette County. Clearly, both Dassey & Avery are lying about certain aspects of their stories. Avery saying he could not remember what someone he had seen 14/15 times looked like. That he never spoke to her on the day. Dassey saying he did see Avery talking to Halbach and that he had move out of the way to let her drive out, then saying he saw her leave from his kitchen window.

These two were not under caution (a UK thing which means you are not under arrest, but just answering questions to help inquiries, not sure of the US equivalent.) Avery was clearly hiding something and Dassey was just unable to stick to the story he had been told to recount. (Including Halbachs own family might have set it up/ the car was planted/ the state did it because of the lawsuit. etc etc.)

All of that information was volunteered without prompting in those first couple of interviews. The police were right to be suspicious. Here is a link to the police interviews I am talking about.

http://www.stevenaverycase.org/police-interviews-and-interrogations/

If you have not listened to the interviews on the 5th & 6th of November, please do so while reading the transcripts. It will hopefully demonstrate that Dassey & Avery were not on the same page with regard to their stories, and from there, their lies were unraveled after months of prosecutors, trying to get to the bottom of the story.

In my opinion, there was no framing and the overall evidence is damning. Please don't take it personally if you disagree. I am happy to debate any point on this case with my fellow Websleuthers. :-)

See...I *have* read everything I can find, in addition to watching MaM. I remain on the fence about guilt/innocence. My focus is on how poorly this case was handled, Brendan's conviction was DIRTY, imo, and I refuse to support that. If Brendan is guilty, I want a good, clean, solid trial to prove it. We all deserve that.

See...I *have* read everything I can find, in addition to watching MaM. I remain on the fence about guilt/innocence. My focus is on how poorly this case was handled, Brendan's conviction was DIRTY, imo, and I refuse to support that. If Brendan is guilty, I want a good, clean, solid trial to prove it. We all deserve that.

Yes - exactly how I feel too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kratz has emerged. He did an interview with a radio station in Australia.

Here are their tweets about what he said. I will watch to see if they post audio of the interview.

Kyle and Jackie O ‏@kyleandjackieo 44m44 minutes ago
We're speaking to #KenKratz from #MakingAMurderer right now about #BrendanDassey's release! #KJshow #KIIS1065

Kyle and Jackie O ‏@kyleandjackieo 43m43 minutes ago
"The judge found that the confession itself was involuntary, with promises of lenience." #KenKratz #KJshow

Kyle and Jackie O ‏@kyleandjackieo 43m43 minutes ago
"His IQ is the same as his uncle Steven Avery's, so I wouldn't blame his intelligence for his confession." #KenKratz

Kyle and Jackie O ‏@kyleandjackieo 42m42 minutes ago
"#BrendanDassey gave 4 or 5 detailed accounts to a judge, #MakingAMurderer only showed snippets of one." #KenKratz

Kyle and Jackie O ‏@kyleandjackieo 42m42 minutes ago
"I think there's no way they won't appeal his case. They could strike a deal, a plea agreement." #KenKratz on #BrendanDassey's release.

Kyle and Jackie O ‏@kyleandjackieo 41m41 minutes ago
"It's not over by a long shot." #KenKratz on #BrendanDassey's court case. #MakingAMurderer

Ken Kratz just revealed that he thinks the judge would have watched #MakingAMurderer. "Every law official in Wisconsin has." #KJshow

"Brendan's release will not be the basis for any appeal for Steven Avery's release." #MakingAMurderer #KJshow

Kyle and Jackie O ‏@kyleandjackieo 40m40 minutes ago
"I never used #BrendanDassey's statement in a trial against #StevenAvery." #KenKratz #KJshow #MakingAMurderer

My thoughts:
Who cares how many interviews Making a Murderer showed..... does he think the judge based his decision off of what he saw on MaM? Seriously? Does he think people are going to believe that?

The decision won't be a basis for any appeal for SA? well... we will see what Zellner says about that. Oh wait, lets look at Zellner's tweet from this afternoon:

Kathleen Zellner ‏@ZellnerLaw 43m43 minutes ago
If you think Dasseys confession wasn't used against SA think again. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-...b_9108060.html … via @HuffPostCrime

He never used BD's statements against him IN A TRIAL. Nope, no you didn't Kratz, the kid wouldn't play ball with you and maintained his innocence and didn't testify against his Uncle for any deal. And those statements, you may not have used them in the trial, but you sure used them in a sensational press conference where you tainted the jury pool against both BD and SA. And lets not forget that you went with this narrative with Teresa's family, with absolutely no evidence to back it.

What a piece of.... :maddening:

Ugh. I'm ashamed one of our stations put that piece of excrement on air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hps-A0Ql_58&app=desktop):

Buting discusses the ruling.

some of the things from the video:
*He couldn't say a consistent story from one time to the next because it was made up, it didn't happen
*they were ready for BD to testify, to bolster his confessions
*they didn't use his statements in the trial, but they used it in the press, polluting the jury pool, knowing there was no physical evidence. SA's attorney's will decide if and how they will use this ruling to their advantage.
* the question posed to him was if this was decided early on, how would this have changed SA's case..... Buting said BD would have been a witness for SA, he was an alibi witness for SA, it would have showed what lengths they were willing to go to, to get to his Uncle.
*there is a long and sordid tale going on here... he hopes the state finally recognises that and does not retry BD, he doesn't know how they could get a conviction at this point and it will just embarrass the county at this point.

Snipped by me :-)
With regard to Brandens interview,

What do you mean information was volunteered " without prompting " Hoosen_Fenger?

Brendan had obviously been TALKED to by LE BEFORE these interviews were RECORDED into VARIOUS pieces..

Hi Dexter75,
I am referring to the very first time Brendan was spoken to. This was just 5 days after Teresa went missing. At that time, the Police in question, were from the next County as the Avery family were at their holiday lodge. They clearly have certain information on the timeline, Avery had already given them his version. So they are checking it. Let us not forget, a girl has gone missing and the last place she was known to be was at the Avery salvage yard. What are you going to do if you are a police officer? You are going to check the stories and see if they can be confirmed.

Well, these very first sessions a few days after Teresa went missing, are very telling. Dassey tells the police he did not see Teresa. They test him. He then says he had to step out of the way to let her car go by. Without prompting. He says that Avery was at work when he got home. Avery had said he was in his trailer from 11 am and not working. Someone is lying. It gets tested and we have two people, who are giving a different version of the days events.

Dassey says that he saw Avery talk talking to her, but Avery says he did not talk to her. Avery then says he may have touched the car and Dassey confirms he saw Steven by the car, without being pressured.

If you take a bit of time to listen to the interviews, whilst reading them at the same time, (it is a little tedious my friend but stick with it) you will get a sense that something is not quite right.

Missy1974 & mrsobrien,

I take your points on board. In all honesty, I would agree that this case was not handled in the best possible way, but that is probably because the police were up against it from the Get Go.
That said, have you guys thought about the possibility that the way the police asked their questions was actually because Avery & Dassey were so 'intellectually challenged?'

A girl goes missing, the last place she was seen was on Avery's salvage lot, and they start asking questions. They get differing answers and become suspicious. I am not a Cop but I have been interviewed by a few and they are inquisitive by nature. I think these first interviews are damning because here we have police from the next County, being asked to interview a couple of people on behalf of another County, with reason to believe they might know something. They are not trying to frame anyone at this point, just test what gets said. When it does not stack up or concur with the other stories on offer, they get suspicious.

Slightly off topic, but I wanted to include this as I feel it is important. The only angle for Averys defence is that he was framed. Think about it for a second. If you were in the position to frame someone, would you not do a better job than a bit of blood in the car and some DNA under the Hood? No, you would make it unequivocal. That blood would have been sprayed around the car as if out of a sprinkler, just to make sure enough was found.

My theory, and thanks everyone for reading so far, is that Avery was responsible for the death of Teresa, and he bullied his nephew Dassey into getting involved. The police tried everything they could to prove it, and managed it by means that perhaps were not always to the standards we would expect in a fair & democratic society.

I know people have other views, some thinking they are both innocent. I respect those views and hope mine is taken the same way.

Hi Dexter75,
I am referring to the very first time Brendan was spoken to. This was just 5 days after Teresa went missing. At that time, the Police in question, were from the next County as the Avery family were at their holiday lodge. They clearly have certain information on the timeline, Avery had already given them his version. So they are checking it. Let us not forget, a girl has gone missing and the last place she was known to be was at the Avery salvage yard. What are you going to do if you are a police officer? You are going to check the stories and see if they can be confirmed.

Well, these very first sessions a few days after Teresa went missing, are very telling. Dassey tells the police he did not see Teresa. They test him. He then says he had to step out of the way to let her car go by. Without prompting. He says that Avery was at work when he got home. Avery had said he was in his trailer from 11 am and not working. Someone is lying. It gets tested and we have two people, who are giving a different version of the days events.

Dassey says that he saw Avery talk talking to her, but Avery says he did not talk to her. Avery then says he may have touched the car and Dassey confirms he saw Steven by the car, without being pressured.

If you take a bit of time to listen to the interviews, whilst reading them at the same time, (it is a little tedious my friend but stick with it) you will get a sense that something is not quite right.

Missy1974 & mrsobrien,

I take your points on board. In all honesty, I would agree that this case was not handled in the best possible way, but that is probably because the police were up against it from the Get Go.
That said, have you guys thought about the possibility that the way the police asked their questions was actually because Avery & Dassey were so 'intellectually challenged?'

A girl goes missing, the last place she was seen was on Avery's salvage lot, and they start asking questions. They get differing answers and become suspicious. I am not a Cop but I have been interviewed by a few and they are inquisitive by nature. I think these first interviews are damning because here we have police from the next County, being asked to interview a couple of people on behalf of another County, with reason to believe they might know something. They are not trying to frame anyone at this point, just test what gets said. When it does not stack up or concur with the other stories on offer, they get suspicious.

Slightly off topic, but I wanted to include this as I feel it is important. The only angle for Averys defence is that he was framed. Think about it for a second. If you were in the position to frame someone, would you not do a better job than a bit of blood in the car and some DNA under the Hood? No, you would make it unequivocal. That blood would have been sprayed around the car as if out of a sprinkler, just to make sure enough was found.

My theory, and thanks everyone for reading so far, is that Avery was responsible for the death of Teresa, and he bullied his nephew Dassey into getting involved. The police tried everything they could to prove it, and managed it by means that perhaps were not always to the standards we would expect in a fair & democratic society.

I know people have other views, some thinking they are both innocent. I respect those views and hope mine is taken the same way.
I respect your view😊 I am just not buying it. These particular LE, we're not curious/inquisitive by nature, they were down right judgemental, IMO.

LE are known to have a " brotherhood " and stick together. Same County or not, Avery was known as the guy that had a 36 MILLION Dollar lawsuit in the works!

As far as manitowoc County, they jailed him once, for 18 years & thought nothing of it. Their character, their nature, absolutely NO leeway where I am concerned.

Steve and Branden, they're just not smart and memories suck, period. You would look at me like I had 2 heads if you knew about some of the crap I forgot, daily. It's ridiculous.🙄

As far as whoever framed Avery should have left more blood, etc.

I honestly think they had no plan. They just kind of " went with it " when the opportunity presented itself.
Unfortunately, Teresa's dead body.

I respect your point of view, just looking at the ENTIRE picture..the 18 years behind bars, the way Culhane screwed up, NO photos of the BONES in that pathetic BOX, the pic of the pit from FEET away...
The MAGIC bullet appearing, the KEY appearing..

You honestly question NONE of it??
None? Not a even a teeny weeny bit??🙄😉 lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Dexter ~ you have a point. There are definitely interviews or discussions that were never recorded, IIRC, they are between the 27th of February to March 1st. It was in that time frame that they put Brendan and Barb in a hotel... ya know, for their "safety".

Hoosen_Fenger was talking about the interviews that were done in Crivitz of BD and SA very early on. And I do disagree..... that interview was conducted in a very similar way to the interviews later on with Wiegert/Fassbender.... they lied to him. When Brendan said that he didn't see her that day, they lied to him. They lied and said the bus driver and ALL the kids on the bus that day would say something different, so cmon Brendan... did you see her? As the judge in this recent judgement has pointed out, BD was just not capable of handling the tactics that they used. And even with the information they got from Brendan on Nov 6th, he was never a suspect, not until February, not until they needed him to be a suspect and needed more for their case IMO
Agree 100%
They used whatever means necessary because they had to destroy Averys alibi. We know this. That is ALL their mission was about.

Hi Dexter75,

Missy1974 & mrsobrien,

Fwiw, I think your posts are very well worded and respectful😊
Just throwing that in there!

Agree 100%
They used whatever means necessary because they had to destroy Averys alibi. We know this. That is ALL their mission was about.

I think we can now agree given that Dassey's confession is agreed upon as a false confession the "evidence" collected as a result of it aka the bullet and the sweat latch dna was just bunk. And likely planted by MTSO employees or by careless collection of evidence techs. I think KZ is going to prove the key and blood in the car were planted due to her scientific testing.

I think we can now agree given that Dassey's confession is agreed upon as a false confession the "evidence" collected as a result of it aka the bullet and the sweat latch dna was just bunk. And likely planted by MTSO employees or by careless collection of evidence techs. I think KZ is going to prove the key and blood in the car were planted due to her scientific testing.

The blood, yes. The key, no as she has no access to that evidence.

Hi Dexter75,

Missy1974 & mrsobrien,

I too respect your opinion and I really appreciate the respectful way you put your post together. But like Dexter75 I just do not agree.

BBM 1 - this is a rather large assumption given the other evidence we have that there was a frame job going on. In this case and his previous rape case. LE work together.

BBM 2 - it would be way too obvious (more obvious than it already is IMO)if they tried to frame him over the top like that

BBM 3 - If we can all agree that the means used are not up to the standards we expect, then we should be able to agree that according to the law, he should be deemed innocent. We cannot allow prosecutors to work outside the law to convict anyone, even if they are responsible for the crime in question.

Hi Dexter75,

Snipped by me...

Unfortunately many of the things you brought up about these first taped interviews are factually incorrect. Dassey did initially say he didn't see TH there. He went on to make comments and then admitted he couldn't really recall the day in question. They did not "test" him. They told him everyone on the bus had saw her and then (paraphrasing) told him it was a nice, sunny day out and we aren't trying to make you remember things you don't or anything. Dassey then says he saw her. For all anybody knows he's remembering a completely different occasion that she was there.

Dassey did not say he knew Avery was at work that day. He said he didn't see him and Avery was at work which would be logical for Dassey to think since Avery is always at work when he gets home from school. Avery said he was at home taking care of other things which, based on phone records, is the truth. The fact that Dassey inaccurately assumed Avery was at work doesn't equate to either of them lying. That's simply a conclusion that you have decided to draw on your own.

And lastly, saying that Avery said "he did not talk to her" can only be viewed as a gross fabrication on your part because he not only said he spoke to her that day, he told them he said Hi. He also explained the money he gave her along with a paper explaining the asking price for the van. I noticed in your other post you stated that Avery claimed she wasn't there that day nor that he knew what she looked like. Gross fabrication of the facts on your part. He said from the very first interview that she was at his place that day. When asked to describe her he said brown hair and "skinny." What he could not describe was her clothing which in no way indicates he was lying.

If you want people to listen/read those interviews so they know the facts so they can be enlightened about what was said I would highly suggest you do the same thing because clearly you missed a few things.

Hoosen_Fenger ~ you ask... have you guys thought about the possibility that the way the police asked their questions was actually because Avery & Dassey were so 'intellectually challenged?'

I'm not understanding you here. I think what I have a problem with is the fact that they used the same techniques on an intellectually challenged 16 yr old that they would use on a grown man with no intellectual challenges. And I imagine that even the smartest grown adult could be coerced into a confession given the proper circumstances (sleep deprivation, etc.)

From the recent judgement:
However, the state courts unreasonably found that the investigators never made
Dassey any promises during the March 1, 2006 interrogation. The investigators
repeatedly claimed to already know what happened on October 31 and assured Dassey
that he had nothing to worry about. These repeated false promises, when considered in
conjunction with all relevant factors, most especially Dassey’s age, intellectual deficits,
and the absence of a supportive adult,
rendered Dassey’s confession involuntary under
the Fifth and Fourteenth Amendments. The Wisconsin Court of Appeals’ decision to the
contrary was an unreasonable application of clearly established federal law

BBM above.... if this applies to the March interview, why doesn't it apply the November 6th interview? They tell him that he isn't going to go to jail.... they tell him to not "disappoint" them...they will keep it between them... they lie about the bus driver and the kids on the bus (fyi... the bus driver was not interviewed until the day after this in car interview and she was wrong on the location of the van and wasn't sure of the day)

After reading the Nov6th interview again, not only was Brendan an alibi witness for SA that evening, he was also with Chuck when he saw the headlights on the Friday night back by the crusher. Also.... something I found kind of interesting and it might mean nothing, but towards the end of the interview, BD said he saw SA the next morning before school and SA said that his Blazer would be gone soon cuz someone was going to buy it. I wonder when SA got a call about the Blazer? the night before? that morning (which would have been Nov. 1)? Just made me wonder if it was another thing that put him somewhere that evening NOT killing TH (phone call).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
issy565