Brendan Dassey's Habeas Corpus Petition Granted

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it possible they really were just trying to do the best they could with details and what they COULD remember?
Not everyone is the same.
Not all of us remember well. Heck, I can't remember the sequence of events of the morning of the same day at times��
It's awful but it's true.
Couple this with their lack of intelligence and I'm sure BD just wants to please his Uncle AND the police. Avery has been this route before & is most likely thinking " crap, not again " and is probably mad, nervous, has an attitude or all three.
I get what you mean, when looking at these two like they're guilty as sin and there's NO other possibilities, it's easy to think how you do about it all��
Me personally, looking at these interviews & transcripts along with the entire picture,
This doesn't scream " red flag " at me like it does you

I agree. Those statements are very open to interpretation imo also. (Although I do appreciate Hoosen-Fenger's well stated opinion, and the fact that not once was the word, "Faxumentary " used!). I can see why Hoosen feels that way. I think many people, (especially LE are taught to look at such discrepancies as indicators of deception, rather than poorly firing brain cells lol.) Steve Moore said something to that effect in the comment section, on his blog, something about Avery being too quick to suggest LE might be framing him again, (but he conceded that given the history might not be so suspicious, though he found it highly so.)

However:

From the g'man blog, ( I guess we are all calling it that now, I obviously missed some drama thankfully, but I'm all for less typing lol!):

"The story given by Brendan Dassey is completely impossible, given the physical evidence found, not found, and required for it to be true. Absent other evidence to the contrary, I see no indication that Dassey was involved in any way in the disappearance or murder of Teresa Halbach.

"Wiegert embarrassed himself on the stand. He made the (somewhat ignorant) point that Brendan Dassey and Steven Avery had five days to “clean up” the crime scene after the murder."

"What evidence did the prosecution present that the two spent five days cleaning a crime scene, much less an hour? So why is that allowed as evidence in trial?"

"The blood evidence couldn’t be cleaned without a trace. Period. Sorry."

"Brendan Dassey and Steven Avery are portrayed as sick opportunists unable to successfully kill the victim even after several attempts utilizing different means. However, the moment the murder has been consummated, the two, (one with an IQ of 69) instantly became criminal geniuses, adept in concealing the most minute, cellular-level DNA evidence of the murder throughout the house, the carpeting, the bedding and the concrete in the garage. (Oh, and then they leave a bullet out in the open.)"

"Kratz should have been forced to make up his mind and declare who he was prosecuting; bumbling opportunists or criminal masterminds. They can’t be both."

Moore is also planning to follow up by reading trial transcripts and interviewing witnesses :tyou::popcorn:

Very excited about being able (in a week or so) to begin delving into information on the case I have not yet been privy to. Almost always in cases of wrongful conviction, the presented evidence is enough to convict. However, in wrongful convictions, we find that the evidence is unreliable at best, and planted at worst. The big task before me after finishing Episode 10 is to determine which evidence is valid and reasonable. I will not, even among ‘friends’ working together toward learning the truth, accept a piece of evidence as valid without knowing the pedigree of that evidence.

After the conclusion of my next and last analysis of Making a Murderer. I will be initiating a new phase in the investigation; Interviewing witnesses ! And you all will be witnesses! You have trial transcripts, you have read the statements of certain people, you have intimate knowledge on the cases, and some of you have areas in which you have specialized. When speaking with ‘witnesses,’ I was always searching for information, but I was also looking for a direction to take the investigation. So from all of you (if you have time) I will be asking you (not now, after Episode 10) to provide me with, or point me toward information you believe is relevant and important.

That will give me a head-start on the deep-dive I’m about to begin after Episode 10. Frankly, I’m excited about where that will take us. And I look forward to working with you all as we move forward."
http://gmancasefile.com/moore-to-the-story/making-a-murderer-an-fbi-agents-take-episode-9

Local reporter:

Kent Wainscott ‏@Kentwainscott 1h1 hour ago
WI AG Schimel says he has made decisions re the Brendan Dassey case, but not ready to announce. "You'll know pretty soon."
#MakingAMurderer

Not sure what "soon" means lol I would be shocked if they didn't appeal.

The bits in Bold & Italics are from me :)

Is it possible they really were just trying to do the best they could with details and what they COULD remember? I agree, however you must admit that if someone was reported missing on your property and your family went off to a holiday home for the weekend, it might dominate the conversation? :)
Not everyone is the same. Agreed. But can I point you to my response above please?
Not all of us remember well. Heck, I can't remember the sequence of events of the morning of the same day at times😔 Again I agree. But given that four days after TH disappeared, SA was talking to the media before the interviews I referenced. We all remember more with prompts like dates/ times & weather etc......
It's awful but it's true.
Couple this with their lack of intelligence and I'm sure BD just wants to please his Uncle AND the police. Avery has been this route before & is most likely thinking " crap, not again " and is probably mad, nervous, has an attitude or all three. Avery is guilty. The evidence is clear. In my mind Dassey is too. The both have the same trait of offering needless information when not asked for it. *Admission here, I am not trained in Psychiatry* That said, I refer to my thoughts that their stories were clearly not matched & hiding something.
I get what you mean, when looking at these two like they're guilty as sin and there's NO other possibilities, it's easy to think how you do about it all😉 Are we looking at this with the benefit of hindsight here my friend? At the time, there was no narrative, just officers asking questions. (Which were answered poorly.)
Me personally, looking at these interviews & transcripts along with the entire picture,
This doesn't scream " red flag " at me like it does you. Not all of it is 'Red Flag' mate, but if I am an officer, given a story from one person living on a salvage yard where a missing girl was last seen, and I get a different story from someone else on the yard? I am likely to be suspicious........In short, there are too many people from outside agencies needing to risk something, in order to be involved in a cover up. In my humble opinion, the evidence is good enough to convict both and these early statements, to which late readers of our exchange may not have read, lead me to think SA & BD were lying from the 'Get Go.'

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if Zellner would know for sure what the announcement would be. It could be possible I guess, if she's in contact with his lawyers. Or maybe she's preemptively shaming them for the decision they are going to announce? LOL

Earlier a local reporter did say that the AG has made a decision and we would know soon. Maybe I will go do some snooping on the family FB page... see who is talking and who isn't LOL I would think if his lawyers know, his family knows... he's going to need a ride home ;-)

this is Carla's response to someone that posted omg I've got the chills and tears and omg Carla Chase on the fb page (didn't want to put their name out and don't have the energy to black out the name lol)

carla fb sept 1.PNG

I will keep looking.

Much speculation at the moment, myself included. Have read that some family members are not happy. Wondering if a plea agreement has been reached?

Much speculation at the moment, myself included. Have read that some family members are not happy. wondering if a plea agreement has been reached?
BBM
NOPE. ☺Not a chance! (Nice try! Hahaha!).

I don't see the reason for Zellner to be making announcements that haven't been made, for a person who is not her client.

Local reporter:

Kent Wainscott ‏@Kentwainscott 1h1 hour ago
WI AG Schimel says he has made decisions re the Brendan Dassey case, but not ready to announce. "You'll know pretty soon."
#MakingAMurderer

Not sure what "soon" means lol I would be shocked if they didn't appeal.

Agreed. Their only option at this point is to appeal.

Agreed. Their only option at this point is to appeal.

Hey Sinsaint, hope you had a great weekend :)

What is your opinion on how long they have to appeal? I have read some posts on reddit and facebook that say they have 30 days, you seem to be quite knowledgeable about the procedures or are able to find them :)

Before hearing about the granting of habeus corpus for BD, the last I'd heard didn't leave me feeling hopeful that it would ever happen.

I think it's the right thing in the BD case to rule the confession inadmissible and that he not be held in jail on the basis of that trial, which I think was a farce.

Often we hear of people who think that some convicted murderer or other is actually innocent, and we roll our eyes and think they're crazy. It seems like a waste of time to have legal people working on those cases long after a trial conviction.

But, for me, this shows the other side of it, the importance of not just shoving evidence into a box and forgetting about it, but having other people reexamine the evidence even post-conviction. The people who have fought for years to get the BD case this far deserve a lot of thanks and gratitude for their quiet and unsung efforts, which are just as an important part of the justice system as any other part of it....without them there would be far less justice...even if it sometimes is a belated and weak kind of justice for a truly innocent person.

There was a lawyer who was supposed to be working on BD's behalf who was shown in Making a Murderer...I think it's the same one who went on TV and talked about the confession. Is there any chance he might face any charges for his part in this? Or at least be struck from the Bar?

http://www.postcrescent.com/story/n...ourt-win-gratifying-dasseys-lawyers/89602552/

Good article! They interviewed BD's lawyers, they talk a bit about BD and a bit about what they do and why :)

Great article, thanks very much for sharing it. Here is my favorite quote from Drizin:

"But it was meeting Dassey that convinced him to take the case, he wrote. Asked what it was about this meeting, he said simply, "With Brendan, what you see is what you get." He is the person viewers saw on the series, Drizin said.

"Incredibly gentle," Nirider echoed."

These lawyers are focused on doing what is RIGHT for Brendan, not just what is quickest, easiest or most politically correct. I am so grateful that people like that exist in this world.

There was a lawyer who was supposed to be working on BD's behalf who was shown in Making a Murderer...I think it's the same one who went on TV and talked about the confession. Is there any chance he might face any charges for his part in this? Or at least be struck from the Bar?

:wagon:

That was Len Kachinsky. He is a judge now I think (elected?). I don't think he will face any charges, which is a shame. Judge Duffin definitely spanked him in his 91 page decision though IMO

So I'm still not sure how long the State has to appeal the decision. 30 days is on Sunday, so maybe they would have until Monday and not today? Or it could be 60 days. I haven't read one article that states how long they have to appeal, journalism at it's best I guess? lol

Even if the State doesn't appeal, they have 90 days to decide if they want to retry Brendan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member