Brian Williams Lied About Being Shot Down in Iraq?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Brian Williams has ended his own career. Why? I have no idea. But this apparently was NOT the first time he has told this lie - on record - and yes, it is indeed a case of "Stolen Valor".

Speaking as the widow of a combat veteran (Vietnam) Williams needs to resign immediately. And if he doesn't have the good sense to do so, he needs to be fired. Immediately.

Williams is a far cry from Cronkite. Walter was a real broadcast journalist and truth was sacred for him.

"BW seems to have been revealed as a entertainer with a news broadcast gig"

Snick.....I think you hit the nail on the head here.....I believe BW's ego got the best of him and he became too concerned with being an entertainer - charming late night audiences and becoming part of the story, instead of concentrating on his day job as news anchor and reporting the story. IMO

Walter Cronkite really was not what is being stated here. It is well reported if you do some research.

I can not believe that he has not been fired at this point or had the grace to step down until it is resolved.

I wonder if Dan Rather has a spare bedroom Brian Williams could live in???

I think he's toast. He made himself the story instead of reporting the story. I'm reminded of Geraldo Rivera hunting for Bin Laden. It was reported by the film crew that GR would throw dirt on himself to appear that he was searching caves.
BW also caught inre Katrina, and now with the scrutiny, there may be more. You can forget but you can't misremember.

IzzyBlanche- it was not my intent to snipe at you. I have read and reread several times both posts and I just do not see what you mean. Not pursuing it, however. I think we both agree that BW whatever he may be, is not a journalist on the same level as Cronkite.

I don't understand how he thought that he could get away with it. It's not like the facts can't be checked. There were other people around, who could set the record straight. Why potentially ruin your career over tall tales?

We've seen it happen time and again with politicians and others in the public spotlight. Some mental process just seems to come over these people and they think they are invulnerable. They can embellish and burnish their resumes as much as they want- no one is going to question because of who they are. Until this happened I had some regard for him- at least I thought he was pleasant and added a human touch to newscasting. I now am starting to see him in a different light. All the smiles and 'warmth' seem to be covering up someone vacuous, who is faking what he does, knows it and needs to exaggerate his past to prove something- more to himself than others.

Someone found this video of a talk he did at Fairfield University where he talks about the event. He says he "you go back to Iraq, and I looked down the tube of an RPG that had been fired at us and it hit the chopper in front of ours."" :floorlaugh:

It always does.

I can't imagine what it must be like for a media personality (BW) to experience this intense scrutiny......I'm sure all of his past interviews and appearances are being replayed everywhere to find more "embellishments"......and it sounds like everyone is looking. I wouldn't want to be in BW's shoes right now for any amount of $$.

Not sure how this will play out at NBC.....from what I understand it's an NBC internal investigation so that will probably help him. In the court of public opinion, I agree that he's toast. IMO

Walter Cronkite really was not what is being stated here. It is well reported if you do some research.

Thank you, I did. What I found is that it is well reported that he was what I stated here.

IzzyBlanche said:
I can remember when Walter Cronkite was the most trusted man in America.

Results of my research:

During the heyday of CBS News in the 1960s and 1970s, he was often cited as "the most trusted man in America" after being so named in an opinion poll.

For many years, until a decade after he left his post as anchor, Cronkite was considered one of the most trusted figures in the United States.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Cronkite

Or ponder the declining public profiles of the major presenters, their dwindling authority, too. Walter Cronkite of CBS News was often called "the most trusted man in America."

So much so, that his sceptical reports from Vietnam after the Tet Offensive in 1968 marked a turning point on the home front. "If I've lost Walter Cronkite, I've lost Middle America," Lyndon Johnson was supposed to have lamented.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31152849

Walter Cronkite, in full Walter Leland Cronkite, Jr. (born November 4, 1916, St. Joseph, Missouri, U.S.—died July 17, 2009, New York, New York), American journalist and pioneer of television news programming who became known as “the most trusted man in America.”

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/1312056/Walter-Cronkite

Brian Williams taking a leave of absence. Just saw the breaking news banner on Foxnews.com. Katie Couric, come on down!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back