Brian Williams Lied About Being Shot Down in Iraq?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Someone found this video of a talk he did at Fairfield University where he talks about the event. He says he "you go back to Iraq, and I looked down the tube of an RPG that had been fired at us and it hit the chopper in front of ours."" :floorlaugh:

At least in this version Williams said the chopper in front of his was hit, which is true. However, his chopper was traveling 30 minutes behind it! I don't think he was looking "down the tube" of anything, except maybe his soda straw. This reminds me of those Hollywood "based on a true story" movies that stretch the actual truth like bubblegum.

By his own account, Williams is a little confused in the head. He said, “I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another,” and “I spent most of the weekend thinking I’d gone crazy,” and “I would not have chosen to make this mistake,” implying that some entity other than he was responsible. Was it mind control? Schizophrenia? Someone get Brian a tinfoil hat to block those gamma rays!

If Williams remains on NBC, it will be impossible for him to report on the military. Every time NBC News calls him (as its president did in December) “one of the most trusted journalists of our time,” Twitter and Facebook will detonate with reminders to the contrary. Williams sits on the board of the Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation. Probably he’ll be forced to resign from that.

Does NBC News need that embarrassment?

http://nypost.com/2015/02/08/we-shouldnt-believe-williams-lie-was-an-innocent-mistake/

I don't understand how he thought that he could get away with it. It's not like the facts can't be checked. There were other people around, who could set the record straight. Why potentially ruin your career over tall tales?
And especially now, "in these " etc., with information almost precisely verifiable in under .x seconds

By his own account, Williams is a little confused in the head. He said, “I don’t know what screwed up in my mind that caused me to conflate one aircraft with another,” and “I spent most of the weekend thinking I’d gone crazy,” and “I would not have chosen to make this mistake,” implying that some entity other than he was responsible. Was it mind control? Schizophrenia? Someone get Brian a tinfoil hat to block those gamma rays!

If Williams remains on NBC, it will be impossible for him to report on the military. Every time NBC News calls him (as its president did in December) “one of the most trusted journalists of our time,” Twitter and Facebook will detonate with reminders to the contrary. Williams sits on the board of the Congressional Medal of Honor Foundation. Probably he’ll be forced to resign from that.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/08/we-shouldnt-believe-williams-lie-was-an-innocent-mistake/

From your link:

Joseph Miller, who says he was the flight engineer on Williams’ helo, said Williams was excited from the beginning, immediately spinning a what-if story: “He had the audacity to tell me the whole thing was like ‘Saving Private Ryan’ and that the whole Army would be out looking for him,” Miller said, adding, “I called him an idiot in front of his camera crew.”

Hey, NBC, do your job for a change: Let’s see that footage. It’ll be the newsiest stuff you run all week.

Although the NBC anchor had repeated the Iraq war tall tale, ever more baroquely, for more than a decade, when he cited it on his Jan. 30 broadcast during a segment about going to a Rangers game with a retired, decorated soldier who had been on the ground that day when he landed, Williams got smacked down on Facebook.

A crew member from a Chinook flying ahead of Williams, who was involved in the 2003 firefight, posted, “Sorry dude, I don’t remember you being on my aircraft. I do remember you walking up about an hour after we had landed to ask me what had happened.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/08/opinion/sunday/maureen-dowd-anchors-aweigh.html?_r=0

Fresh footage has emerged of Brian Williams lying about the 2003 Iraq war story that has forced him to step away from anchoring NBC Nightly News

In a 2007 interview with a student journalist Williams claims that he was close enough to stare down the barrel of an RPG during the incident in Iraq

He also claims to have had a similar close call in Israel in 2006, yet his original report make on mention of rockets passing 'just beneath'

'I've been very, very lucky the way my life has turned out,' Williams told his student interviewer in 2007

NBC News announced on Friday that an internal investigation had been launched after questions arose over Williams' false on-air statements

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-Hezbollah-rockets-story.html#ixzz3RARvMaGg

LOL

Williams knows that he needs to address the situation beyond the botched apology this week that made matters worse. And he has a prime forum coming up: An appearance scheduled for Thursday on CBS’s “Late Show” with David Letterman.

Williams is strongly considering keeping the appearance and using it as an opportunity to clear the air and address the lingering questions, the source says, but no final decision has been made.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...vestigation-stepped-aside-voluntarily-source/

"Well, in this case, it was the toolbox of the “new media” that exposed the holes (or lack of them) in the helicopter story. Facebook gave a member of the U.S. military the forum on which to challenge Williams (“Sorry, dude, I don't remember you being on my aircraft”). Moreover, there are a lot of questions still to be answered about why the NBC staffers who were with Williams never raised their voices to say: “Um Brian, about that story…”

"As for what happens next: I don’t know what NBC—or outside investigators—are going to find. I don’t know if it makes sense (assuming no other transgressions) for Williams to sit down with a smart, tough but fair inquisitor—Megyn Kelly? Jon Stewart? The scheduled appearance on Letterman Thursday?—and answer whatever questions are thrown his way. It probably makes sense for Williams to shelve his considerable comedic gifts and stay away from Jimmy Fallon and Saturday Night Live."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...per-whopper-says-about-modern-news-media.html

Oh jeez. Now I'm waiting to hear what kind of cockamamie medical excuse he's going to give. PTSD, early onset dementia, syphilis? :facepalm:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkravetsky
Back