Budget cuts may cancel or suspend Casey trial

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As others have pointed out, this trial is going to generate alot of revenue for the county when it starts.

Just taking into account what the media will be spending alone for food and lodging, will be quite a sum.

And, if it gets real bad, as much as I hate to make the suggestion, the county could possible charge for those that are wanting to see it live, on line, as a pay-per-view.
Maybe a week at a time...

Monies recieved could go to reimburse the state for some of the funds, though, in that regard, I'd hate to be contributing to paying any of Casey's restitution and fees that she has incured because of her lies, and the reason she is on trial.
But, I'd pay to see it, cause overall, it would still be cheaper than making the trip to Florida and camping out for 8 weeks or more.

But, bottom line, I do not see this trial being set back or cancelled when there has already been so much time and money put into it at this time; to only give the defense more time to shake the trees and create more discord and false claims that they would demand to investigate.

They can always just drop charges and then charge her again when they have the money I think.

They can always just drop charges and then charge her again when they have the money I think.

*Jaw drops to the floor* and what, let her go home in the meantime? This CANNOT HAPPEN!!!!!

I can't see that happening, for one good reason.

The vigilante justice would be swift, and wide spread to include not only Casey, but her parents and anyone that has sided with her.
And, just from judging from the protesters that stood guard outside of the Anthony home when Casey was home under house arrest, it would not take long for a lynch mob to congregate outside Hopespring Drive and wait for them to come out weilding their hammers and garden hoses.

Which, in the end, would only end up costing the tax payers of Orange County and the state of Florida even more money in going after those that would be charged with those crimes.

As others have pointed out, this trial is going to generate alot of revenue for the county when it starts.

Just taking into account what the media will be spending alone for food and lodging, will be quite a sum.

And, if it gets real bad, as much as I hate to make the suggestion, the county could possible charge for those that are wanting to see it live, on line, as a pay-per-view.
Maybe a week at a time...

Monies recieved could go to reimburse the state for some of the funds, though, in that regard, I'd hate to be contributing to paying any of Casey's restitution and fees that she has incured because of her lies, and the reason she is on trial.
But, I'd pay to see it, cause overall, it would still be cheaper than making the trip to Florida and camping out for 8 weeks or more.

But, bottom line, I do not see this trial being set back or cancelled when there has already been so much time and money put into it at this time; to only give the defense more time to shake the trees and create more discord and false claims that they would demand to investigate.
I was thinking about suggesting the State of Florida accept donations...but pay-per-view works too!

I can't see that happening, for one good reason.

The vigilante justice would be swift, and wide spread to include not only Casey, but her parents and anyone that has sided with her.
And, just from judging from the protesters that stood guard outside of the Anthony home when Casey was home under house arrest, it would not take long for a lynch mob to congregate outside Hopespring Drive and wait for them to come out weilding their hammers and garden hoses.

Which, in the end, would only end up costing the tax payers of Orange County and the state of Florida even more money in going after those that would be charged with those crimes.

I would imagine the police would have to protect her for awhile.

I think the defendant can opt for a non jury trial for the guilt/innocence phase, but I believe a jury would be seated for the DP sentencing phase regardless.

I also do not think that this is a good thing for KC. The state and the judiciary has a constitutional obligation to adjudicate the law and prosecute crimes. That is one of their primary mandated functions. They must go forward. There is however no constitutional mandate regarding how much the state has to spend on the defendant. While the defendant may be able to attempt an appeal later based on state funding of the defense or trial, that is an after the fact appeal, and a long shot.

I think at this point it is far more likely that any expensive items not absolutely required by the people of Florida, such as say an extra $12,000 of investigator time, will not be forthcoming.

Is it possible for the court to re-evaluate its options regarding any change of venue?

I think the COV issue is still moot. No matter where the case will be heard a jury would have to be sequestered. And that's where all of the $$$$ issues come into play. Even in my cases the biggest bill our client pays is the hotel cost for trial. No matter what the state of FL will have to spit out a lot of $$$ to get this case heard.

But I bet Casey is grinning like a cheshire cat at the fact that so much $$$ is being spent on her. I'm sure she eats this stuff up. She after all fashions herself as a "celebrity". Heh heh heh. Right. I can't wait until they send her away to prison forever and she fades into obscurity and people forget she even exists.

All I can say...is that the State wouldn't do this to Caylee...no way, no how.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/na...thony-trial-jeopardy-20110317,0,1203849.story

While Orange County Clerk of Courts Lydia Gardner said the Casey Anthony murder trial could be in jeopardy if proposed legislative funding cuts go through, the state senator overseeing funding to the court clerks said today that the cuts Gardner is worried about will not be nearly as deep as she fears."

The clerk, I believe, may have some misinformation," said state Sen. Mike Fasano, a Republican from New Port Richey. "The five percent reduction they speak of is wrong. It's inaccurate."

At worst, Fasano said funding to the clerk of courts around the state will be a little less than one percent. At best, he said, their funding levels won't change at all.

"In any case, Fasano said, it would not be a high-priority murder trial like Casey Anthony's that would be placed on hold due to financial considerations."

"Civil cases would be in jeopardy before any criminal cases," Fasano said. "She, as clerk of court, knows that better than anyone."

Yep....I think Ms. Gardner's hand may still be stinging from the slapping she got early this morning...

I think this is political BS. I can think of a way they can save the state $360K without doing a thing - let ICA be tried in Orlando, among her peers.
I guess we won't bother to try any criminals in Florida while the budget crunch goes on, huh?

I wonder is the "County Clerk of the Court" an elected, appointed or civil service position in the state of Florida? And given the response from the State Senator, one can't help in wondering how much of the 5% budget cut will be paid for via the removal of Ms. Gardeners salary?

I think the defendant can opt for a non jury trial for the guilt/innocence phase, but I believe a jury would be seated for the DP sentencing phase regardless.

I also do not think that this is a good thing for KC. The state and the judiciary has a constitutional obligation to adjudicate the law and prosecute crimes. That is one of their primary mandated functions. They must go forward. There is however no constitutional mandate regarding how much the state has to spend on the defendant. While the defendant may be able to attempt an appeal later based on state funding of the defense or trial, that is an after the fact appeal, and a long shot.

I think at this point it is far more likely that any expensive items not absolutely required by the people of Florida, such as say an extra $12,000 of investigator time, will not be forthcoming.

Is it possible for the court to re-evaluate its options regarding any change of venue?

Thanks Faefrost - I was simply moving way down the line to a worst case scenario if the initial news reports were true, not that I really believe it would happen.

Oh, Ms. Gardner! What a can of worms you did open. And you cannot have a 'do-over' on this one. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

We just may not be hearing any more statements from this esteemed Clerk of Court.

Just my humble opinion!

OH MAH GAWD......I would be willing to chip in some bucks, how 'bout ya'll? Let's get this thing O....V.....E.....R.

Well...as someone (me) who is now operating on a Government Continuing Resolution as to whether or not I will be at work.....I can understand. However, the judiciary (thank goodness for me) is an essential part of government. Most non-essential things are the ones up for grabs and vulnerable to a "shutdown". However, I know states operate on budgets that CANNOT operate in the red. They have to operate on a balanced budget...not in the red as us Feds do. :(
I would think that a State Judiciary would be the same....it is essential. There are deadlines to be met, etc. How could you just stop the judicial process and say "sorry folks" go home...no money, no playing. You there, defendant, just rot in jail indefinitely. All mandatory discovery, trial deadlines are heretofore suspended and we will start over sometimes in the future.
Ain't gonna happen. IMHO

Oh, Ms. Gardner! What a can of worms you did open. And you cannot have a 'do-over' on this one. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

We just may not be hearing any more statements from this esteemed Clerk of Court.

Just my humble opinion!

NO...say it isn't SO....

I am in the mood for a little :boohoo: and a LOT of :back:

"Egg: Meet Face."

the BS this ***** is causing is unreal!
i'm so sick of reading about all this money being spent for her defense and now her trial.. it's f'ing SICK! i hope every murderer in the state of florida tries to pull what she did and have the tax payers foot their bill.. then we'll see how far this bs will fly.

i know this is t/o.. but how did she ever get JB to begin with? iirc... she wrote him a bad check?

OKAY - EVERYBODY TAKE A DEEP BREATH.....

State Sen. Mike Fasano said Gardner's statements were not accurate. Fasano is the chairman of the Senate's budget subcommittee on criminal and civil justice appropriations. The committee oversees funding for offices such as the Orange County Clerk of Court.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste
Back