CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's another article,

The kids get to play sports and sunbathe. They have tried lasagna, lentil soup and fish, which they love. Burritos, not so much. They love nature books, country music, listening to music and have CD's and movies to watch. Harry Potter and Star Wars series:

https://www.desertsun.com/story/new...-everyday-activities-attorney-says/381586002/

Have also learned the adult siblings want to say thank you to so many people who have maintained an interest in their care and well-being! To show that gratitude, they have asked their attorneys and case-workers to provide progress on their new-found experiences! This is AWESOME! We may be hearing a lot more from the adult siblings.

The adult kids communicate with their minor siblings who have been moved to a new undisclosed facility that can't be named for privacy reasons. Neither can some elements of David and Louise's charges against them. We do know they now have 80+ charges against them.

Satch

That is so awesome! :loveyou: These survivors really are amazing.

So I'm about 1/4 of the way through thread 3 and there's lots of talk about mandatory reporters. I just wanted to comment on it real quick.

I am a mandatory reporter (not legally, but used to be, due to working in a daycare).

We had a couple of kids in my class that had been through MANY CPS cases. Mom was almost constantly in a battle with CPS and it was... ugh.
Every single day when the two kids came in (they were 18mo twins), I'd have to write down ANY injuries on them, what time I noticed them, where they were located on the body, etc.
Then before I'd leave for the day, I would have to make a report of the same thing, if anything had changed, etc. Including diaper rashes and all of that.

It was a long process, but for me, I didn't mind because it would tell me, "well, this bruise wasn't here yesterday when they left..." etc. If there were more than 3 new injuries a week, we would let the CPS worker know when she came in for her weekly report for the kiddos.

I understand that when kids are older, it's not possible to do this, but I feel like had the kids been in school or daycare, this wouldn't have gotten this bad. It simply wouldn't have been this bad, because the opportunity for 24/7 torture would have been eliminated. How I wish these kids would have gone to public school, even just for a year. GAH. It probably could have saved them from all of this torture.

The Turpins are mentioned in this article about a couple raising their kids in Joshua Tree in a plywood structure. Unlike the Turpins, these kids weren't tortured but were living in squalor and with not enough food.

Joshua Tree couple arrested on suspicion of child cruelty after kids found living in squalid shack for four years, authorities say
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-joshua-tree-arrests-20180301-story.html

There's been articles saying how Louise wanted to use them as her ticket to fame and cash out on having an "uber-family", like the Duggars and the Gosslins.
PS: Uber-families are cursed, comment?

Yay! So they all finally reunited.

Yes, it does appear so. It's great that they can maintain their bond.
And at a concert given for them by Yo-Yo Ma, too. I hope they get more relaxed settings to spend together as well.

Yikes, it's hard to catch up this topic is going so quickly! So here goes my two cents so far. I went to post this and found that I'm 26 pages behind. Forgive me if it's all been said before, lol! :loveyou:

1. LT is in charge of the family – hubs looks like a dufus and not exactly masculine – the way he holds himself, posture, etc. (not that there's anything wrong with that)

2. If the power is equal, could be it's the Folie à deux / madness-of-two shared psychosis ala Randy Quaid and wife

3. LT having a fb page using maiden name and makeup: bait for extra-marital sex partner. Maybe DT couldn't perform anymore, so this was her plan.

4. I do think the 911 tape will be released to the pubic

5. I'm still greatly bothered by the time the girl escaped to get help but was returned to her nightmare – it reminds me of horror movies :( You think you've escaped and have hope and are getting help, but no! I can't begin to imagine how soul crushing and devastating that was. I wonder what the punishment was for that. You know there had to be repercussions.

6. I wonder if the malnutrition was in any part of a plan to prevent maturation, hormones, etc. That's in addition to the obvious controlling aspect.

7. Was having sex outside the marriage another one of god's plans for them?

8. Was the lifetime of daily abuse and cruelty to their children another one of god's plans, too?

9. Regarding home inspection for the Ts: I don't believe it was because they were homeschooling, but because he was registering the house as a private school that could ostensibly include non-family students who would be paying for service. There are home inspections for residences operating a business where human beings come in. Example is someone operating their home as a RCFE (Residential Care Facility for the Elderly) – there need to be inspections for smoke alarms, clearly marked Fire Exits in case of power outages, etc.

10. Computer genius people don't necessarily have end user software-specific skills such as PhotoShop or Excel or even word processing.

11. DT made fine money, especially since they lived in cheaper areas and especially when you don't feed or clothe your kids or buy school supplies. They obviously didn't spend money on haircuts and the only thing I saw where money went was in LT's hair dye and cuts, makeup, multiple wedding dresses, meals out (among other things) it certainly wasn't spent on the kidlets.

I love about 40 minutes away from the Erika Murray, House of Squalor in Blackstone, MA that used to exist. My brother lived about 5 minutes away. I was horrified that something like that happened in an area so familiar to me so I followed it from beginning to end. They gave out a lot more information for that case in terms of what actually happened, photos of the inside of the house, what was found, etc... It’s not that we needed to see all of it, but it somehow helped to have all of the facts in terms of the kids and the babies. Why is there so little information coming out with this case? In terms of the charges and what they are for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I followed that case closely as well, but there has been no news in 3 years and I wonder about the welfare of those children who were found living in feces, garbage, rodents, and decay. Thankfully, there haven't been any dead babies discovered in this case. I agree that there was much more information in the Blackstone case than has been released in this case. I understand they are trying to protect privacy of the victims while trying to prevent tainting a jury pool, but it seems so different between the cases. Welcome to WS.

Osborn said the seven siblings are enjoying their time in the hospital by eating lentil soup, fish and lasagna. However, the siblings are not fans of burritos.

"It’s been more like being on a cruise ship than at this hospital," Osborn said.

The attorney also said the siblings are allowed to use iPads, go outside, read, listen to music, and watch popular films such as “Star Wars” and “Harry Potter” franchises.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/0...wars-and-modern-technology-attorney-says.html

I had a rough day yesterday, but was quickly cheered when I saw the Magnificent 13 enjoyed a YoYoMa Concert, have been enjoying new foods, and watching movies! This made my day.
I hope in the future when the siblings might read understandably difficult articles regarding their story, that they know they have touched people around the country, and the world, who are cheering them every step of the way! :loveyou:

(New Poster. My two-cents’ worth.)

Comments about David Turpin being “unmasculine” or even crypto-gay, and speculation about his lack of masculinity being behind Louise’s alleged “dominance” bother me.

Specifically, I would characterize DT as a geek. I have known many geeks in my life, and most were not gay or unmasculine.

It bothers me that we are jumping to conclusions like these.v

To continue with my comments about DT and LT, I think attempts to paint one or the other as “dominant” are misguided. My take is that both are psychopathic narcissists who found in each other the one person they could “connect” with. They meet each others’ needs and sometimes one and sometimes the other will take the lead.

My impression is that both are preoccupied with control and that their desire for control extends to trying to control the way they are perceived. The stories they told their families reflect the desire to impress.

David’s side of the family was told that they were very religious and the kids were memorizing huge chunks of the Bible. Louise’s side of the family was told that they were very wealthy and had no money worries.

While it may be true that LT sought affairs with men and DT assisted in these escapades, it may also be a fantasy that LT told her sister in order to “impress”— this time by shocking. I have known teen-agers who made up similar tall-tales to impress/shock their friends. LT may never have got past that adolescent fantasy narrative stage.

Their treatment of the children reflects a combination of self-absorption and sadism. The abuse was always about control and goes back to when the parents were “just strict.” It appears to begin with the eldest child when she was displaced, first by the first boy and then further by a new baby. Remember the account of Elizabeth Flores who witnessed that J-1 could not sit or speak without permission and was sent to her room for long periods of time.

I believe that the leader in disciplining the children was probably LT who, after each child hit a stage that began to show signs of personality, decided that the child was defying control and needed more discipline. This was complicated by a confusion between “sin” with anything the parents perceived as “bad behavior.” The kids were sinners/bad when they didn’t observe every “rule” (stated or unstated) because it was disrespectful to the parents.

From here it escalated because at times the children “rebelled” for perfectly good self-prservation reasons. And the more kids, the more important it became to the parents to have control.

Limiting food may have begun as a punishment, a way of making the kid “cleanse his/her soul through fasting,” but was probably reinforced on a conscious level by resentment towards the kids for having needs combined with an unconscious desire to keep them weak/young. Torturing them by showing them food they couldn’t eat was another way to assert power.

The sadistic pleasure that the parents took in the pain of their young was clearly part of some ultimate power-trip.

I have read that narcissists sometimes identify one or two people whom they see as powerful and try to please. I believe DT and LT had each other for that role. DT may also have had his parents to impress, perhaps to compete with preacher brother. (The huge family may have served the double purpose of getting attention and babies for LT and showing DT’s parents how the Lord blessed DT’s godliness by making his quiver full.

These are, to be sure, just speculations based on my reading of the things that have come out. Folie a deux indeed.

(New Poster. My two-cents’ worth.)

Comments about David Turpin being “unmasculine” or even crypto-gay, and speculation about his lack of masculinity being behind Louise’s alleged “dominance” bother me.

Specifically, I would characterize DT as a geek. I have known many geeks in my life, and most were not gay or unmasculine.

It bothers me that we are jumping to conclusions like these.v

:welcome: Cafemalyn! Yes, DT strikes me as a geek too. I also don’t want to paint him as the weak partner dominated by LT. They are both quite disturbed IMO and each played a role in this tragedy. I hope we find out eventually how it started, if one played the starring role or if they were co-stars, and why it turned into such a horror for their children.

ETA: Your assessment in your second post is well thought out. It’s interesting about both being psychopathic narcissists meeting each other’s needs. It’s an unusual combination, since I always thought narcissists have to be the top dog, but in this case you may be right. What a terrible combination!

:welcome: Cafemalyn! Yes, DT strikes me as a geek too. I also don’t want to paint him as the weak partner dominated by LT. They are both quite disturbed IMO and each played a role in this tragedy. I hope we find out eventually how it started, if one played the starring role or if they were co-stars, and why it turned into such a horror for their children.

ETA: Your assessment in your second post is well thought out. It’s interesting about both being psychopathic narcissists meeting each other’s needs. It’s an unusual combination, since I always thought narcissists have to be the top dog, but in this case you may be right. What a terrible combination!

Thanks for the welcome Lilibet. Regarding narcissists always having to be “top dog,” narcissists always want applause and adulation, but they can give it also, as long as they feel that it reflects back to them. There are many different types of people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and the disorder manifests differently in different types.

The thing that strikes me about DT and LT is that they were clearly important to each other in some way. Each satisfied (at least to some extent) the role of “admirer” for the other. You see DT in the Vow Renewal videos, clearly moved by (what I believe is) his view of himself as this loving husband of a really hot woman and the patriarch of this perfect family. The illusion feeds his narcissism. Meanwhile, she is clearly preoccupied with herself as the perpetual bride and new mother. It may not be a coincidence that the vow renewals begin around the time she got older.

Anyway, the point is that what builds her up also builds him up, and that they each get admiration from the other in a way that validates them. JMHO

Thanks for the welcome Lilibet. Regarding narcissists always having to be “top dog,” narcissists always want applause and adulation, but they can give it also, as long as they feel that it reflects back to them. There are many different types of people with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and the disorder manifests differently in different types.

The thing that strikes me about DT and LT is that they were clearly important to each other in some way. Each satisfied (at least to some extent) the role of “admirer” for the other. You see DT in the Vow Renewal videos, clearly moved by (what I believe is) his view of himself as this loving husband of a really hot woman and the patriarch of this perfect family. The illusion feeds his narcissism. Meanwhile, she is clearly preoccupied with herself as the perpetual bride and new mother. It may not be a coincidence that the vow renewals begin around the time she got older.

Anyway, the point is that what builds her up also builds him up, and that they each get admiration from the other in a way that validates them. JMHO

Probably true, but I think that is somewhat true in most relationships. In this case, it is likely that they relied on each other's rationalization that what they were doing was the best thing for the kids. People tend to indulge in self-rationalization, but when somebody else rationalizes your actions, then it becomes a validation. I'm guessing that they fed off each other's praises, especially where their misguided (warped) sense of 'childcare' was concerned.

And there is reason to believe that this started back when #1 was little, and probably escalated over time.

To continue with my comments about DT and LT, I think attempts to paint one or the other as “dominant” are misguided. My take is that both are psychopathic narcissists who found in each other the one person they could “connect” with. They meet each others’ needs and sometimes one and sometimes the other will take the lead.

My impression is that both are preoccupied with control and that their desire for control extends to trying to control the way they are perceived. The stories they told their families reflect the desire to impress.

David’s side of the family was told that they were very religious and the kids were memorizing huge chunks of the Bible. Louise’s side of the family was told that they were very wealthy and had no money worries.

While it may be true that LT sought affairs with men and DT assisted in these escapades, it may also be a fantasy that LT told her sister in order to “impress”— this time by shocking. I have known teen-agers who made up similar tall-tales to impress/shock their friends. LT may never have got past that adolescent fantasy narrative stage.

Their treatment of the children reflects a combination of self-absorption and sadism. The abuse was always about control and goes back to when the parents were “just strict.” It appears to begin with the eldest child when she was displaced, first by the first boy and then further by a new baby. Remember the account of Elizabeth Flores who witnessed that J-1 could not sit or speak without permission and was sent to her room for long periods of time.

I believe that the leader in disciplining the children was probably LT who, after each child hit a stage that began to show signs of personality, decided that the child was defying control and needed more discipline. This was complicated by a confusion between “sin” with anything the parents perceived as “bad behavior.” The kids were sinners/bad when they didn’t observe every “rule” (stated or unstated) because it was disrespectful to the parents.

From here it escalated because at times the children “rebelled” for perfectly good self-prservation reasons. And the more kids, the more important it became to the parents to have control.

Limiting food may have begun as a punishment, a way of making the kid “cleanse his/her soul through fasting,” but was probably reinforced on a conscious level by resentment towards the kids for having needs combined with an unconscious desire to keep them weak/young. Torturing them by showing them food they couldn’t eat was another way to assert power.

The sadistic pleasure that the parents took in the pain of their young was clearly part of some ultimate power-trip.

I have read that narcissists sometimes identify one or two people whom they see as powerful and try to please. I believe DT and LT had each other for that role. DT may also have had his parents to impress, perhaps to compete with preacher brother. (The huge family may have served the double purpose of getting attention and babies for LT and showing DT’s parents how the Lord blessed DT’s godliness by making his quiver full.

These are, to be sure, just speculations based on my reading of the things that have come out. Folie a deux indeed.

Great post!

Why do you think that David and Louise allowed a house full of human waste and filth that got worse over time? My theories are the following:

1.) She felt that she was too good to do housework.
2.) Wallowing in the kids own filth was added punishment for the kids.
3.) Her family may have believed "cleanliness is next to Godliness" and Louise wanted to rebel against her family.

As so many narcissists are neat freaks, her having no problems with a filthy house, I think was attributed to any or all of the above. I can't think of any other explanations.

Satch

Great post!

Why do you think that David and Louise allowed a house full of human waste and filth that got worse over time? My theories are the following:

1.) She felt that she was too good to do housework.
2.) Wallowing in the kids own filth was added punishment for the kids.
3.) Her family may have believed "cleanliness is next to Godliness" and Louise wanted to rebel against her family.

As so many narcissists are neat freaks, her having no problems with a filthy house, I think was attributed to any or all of the above. I can't think of any other explanations.

Satch
Maybe she was just depressed.

Sent from my Z971 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads