CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If there's a trial and she's convicted yes. The horror of her being found insane, going to a mental health hospital, and some doctor team releasing her in five years, sickens me, and probably everyone in this community.

Satch

A psychology professor of mine, who worked in the state forensic hospital, told us to never plead Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity because more often than not, their sentence was longer than a typical prison sentence. He brought up a woman convicted of stealing a hamburger from a fast food place who was still in the hospital 15 years later!

The bit at the end where the presenter says that some of the siblings want to become doctors, nurses, and investigators!

I had a feeling that some of them would be so impressed with the doctors and nurses, and that they might have a naturally caring streak in them, that they might want to emulate the wonderful people who've rescued them and cared for them through this difficult time.

None of them, I presume, said they wanted to become engineers or stay at home moms!

It is so sad that they use the first adults properly in their lives other than their parents (I am sure that is the case for many of them) as role models.

A psychology professor of mine, who worked in the state forensic hospital, told us to never plead Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity because more often than not, their sentence was longer than a typical prison sentence. He brought up a woman convicted of stealing a hamburger from a fast food place who was still in the hospital 15 years later!

Good point. If it is a choice between a few weeks in jail and a year’s probation for stealing a burger and an indefinite period in a psychiatric hospital, I will take the guilty plea. (But then, I am not crazy. ��)

However, if it is a choice between life in prison and an indefinite period in a psychiatric hospital, maybe there is some “advantage” to being crazy.

(Wishful thinking begins here.)

What I would really like is for both Louise and David to feel awful for their actions (not just because they got caught and were stopped) and to embrace a life of atonement in the form of fasting, prayer and good works from prison.
(Note that the fasting is to feel what they made their children feel and the prayer is to keep them centered on their moral failings within the tradition they were brought up in as kids. The good works could be whatever they had the ability to do to help others—including making money that would go to their victims/kids.)

They should take responsibility, write detailed apologies/confessions to their kids. They would tell their kids that the kids were good kids and did not earn or deserve the horrible treatment that they (the kids) suffered. They should not ask for forgiveness because what they did is unforgivable. (To ask for forgiveness under these circumstances is to put pressure on the person who was wronged. The kids may choose to forgive, but they should not be
asked to.). For the rest of their lives (in prison) DT and LT would feel grief about what they did. This is as close to “justice” as I can imagine.

(End of wishful thinking.)

But it is not going to happen because DT and LT are incapable of true remorse. Unfortunately, they are unlikely to ever realize that they did something really wrong and even less likely to want to atone. They are sorry they were caught. I think DT is ahamed. But that is as far as it goes.

While I too believe the second son (J-4) and the eldest daughter (J-1) were two that got treated even worse than the others, I wonder why you think this.

My reasons for thinking the eldest bore the brunt of the abuse are that
—The oldest was probably the one who was first seen as “rebelling” and needing to be kept under control (back when she was 3, 4, 5, 6 years old even) — She was also the one whose greater initial contact with the outside world may have made her question and/or criticize.
—She seems to have been a smart kid. Talking to a neighbor in Texas who asked her name, she told the neighbor that they weren’t allowed to tell their names, but that if the neighbor listened (when the kids addressed each other) the neighbor would know the names. That is a smart 8 year old thinking logically. (Unforunately the younger sister, J-3, was bothered by this. She scolded her older sister and may have tattled, which would have led to punishment for J-1 and the limiting of contact between the Turpin kids and the neighbors.).
—J-1 is also the most likely candidate for “girl who tried to run away in Texas.”
—Furthermore, her low weight was given as an example of the extreme abuse, and she certainly looks beaten down in some of the pictures.

The case for J-4 being more abused than other siblings is less obvious. Yes, he was the only one found chained, but the other 2 who were chained had just been released when the cops went into the house. And the story is that the parents started chaining the kids after this son wiggled out of his bonds when hogtied. But that doesn’t mean that others weren’t treated with equal harshness. So why do I think he was one of the “scape goat kids”? Is it just because he is clearly more malnourished in the pictures than his older brother and the sisters on either side (J-3 and J-5)? Or are we assuming he was less well treated because, although he was a boy, he seems to have not had the educational opportunity that the oldest boy(J-2) got? What do others think?

It is interesting how we all have these ideas about the Turpin offspring, and how we get these ideas.

(BTW— In my life the “now you have ruined it” person was an aunt. She didn’t hit anyone or torture anyone physically, but she caused a lot of emotional pain. She wouldn’t speak to you for weeks if she was mad at you, and even after time passed and the “crime” was supposedly expiated, she would bring it up to emphasize how disappointing and unreliable all the people who loved her were. Very sad.)

First, good post.

It is also my impression that J1 and J4 are the siblings that are the most severely abused.
Or maybe most affected by severe abuse, I can´t know which it is.
And I can only guess as to why.

First child is first child. The parents are novices at being parents, and I have noticed that there is often conflict between the first child and the parents.
From what I can see from a photo from about ten years ago, she looked thin, but pretty with sparkle in her eyes.
In later photos she looks emaciated and completely beaten down. Also very weak.

J4 seems to have some eye or brain issue. I hope it is "just" an eye issue and that it is easily fixed, but there was talk about some of the siblings having nerve damage. Also he was very, very thin and limp.
I cried when I saw him so eager to please in the Elvis video, dancing on his thin, thin legs.
Devastating.
He could have been a "difficult" child for one reason or the other and ended up being tied up for lengthy periods of time because his parents didn´t have the tools or the knowledge how to deal with him.

What a massive, devastating crime.

One child that has kind of flown under the radar is the youngest boy.
Perhaps because he looks relaxed with a natural, unforced smile in photos.
I haven´t seen any comments on him at all.
Guess that goes for the younger girls as well, but they look more strained in photos.

All this said, I have no doubt it has been hell for these kids.
I don´t care that it was discovered that J8 made those videos and had social media accounts - doesn´t take away from what obviously happened in that family.
All I can say about that is: Good for her!!

Hi! :welcome: As others have said, yes, the arm looks photoshopped. We talked about it for quite awhile and never quite figured it out. I’d tell you where to look on the thread, but I have no idea. :) Anyway, stick around. You have good eyes.

I think it was explained well, and it is not photoshopped. - And why would it be?

I think it was explained well, and it is not photoshopped. - And why would it be?

I guess I’ve forgotten the explanation, perhaps because it didn’t click for me. The arm just doesn’t look like it belongs to anyone IMO. I have no idea why it would be photoshopped, but it looks photoshopped. Not saying it is, but nothing they did makes sense to me anyway, so if it is photoshopped it wouldn’t shock me. At this point the oddly placed arm is the least of the issues IMO and just a curiosity. :)

I can’t even look at her mug shot. The smile on her face...mentally unstable...it’s not a photo you should smile for, dear. [emoji849][emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I for one, hope and pray she is insane because the alternative is far beyond my understanding.

I have done a fair bit of photo-shopping in my time (just for fun). I don't see any evidence of it on the picture some were querying earlier. I'm also having difficulty seeing what the point would be to partially edit out a child of a picture. There are at least 3 other pictures showing them in different poses, at the same setting with the same numbered Thing shirts on, with the same number of children.

I think it's just a combo of the shirts blending into each other due to their color and awkward hand/arm positioning. Some of the kids are so emaciated around the wrists that they are bending funny and hard to see, imo.

Here is what I am seeing in terms of positioning in the photo. I presume it's the two most central children: J-4 (green outline) and J-10 (pink outline) the people are having the hardest time with.

attachment.php

Attachments

• turpin1a.jpg
    turpin1a.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 486
I have done a fair bit of photo-shopping in my time (just for fun). I don't see any evidence of it on the picture some were querying earlier. I'm also having difficulty seeing what the point would be to partially edit out a child of a picture. There are at least 3 other pictures showing them in different poses, at the same setting with the same numbered Thing shirts on, with the same number of children.

I think it's just a combo of the shirts blending into each other due to their color and awkward hand/arm positioning. Some of the kids are so emaciated around the wrists that they are bending funny and hard to see, imo.

Here is what I am seeing in terms of positioning in the photo. I presume it's the two most central children: J-4 (green outline) and J-10 (pink outline) the people are having the hardest time with.

attachment.php

Exactly, ZoriahNZ, good job!

I can’t even look at her mug shot. The smile on her face...mentally unstable...it’s not a photo you should smile for, dear. [emoji849][emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scary, right? Did anyone else see Cassie Jones mugshot in the Maddie/William Jones case? My god... terrifying.

Why is Louise taking the brunt of people´s disgust?
We don´t know how things went down in that home yet.
I see it everywhere and it depresses me that it ALWAYS is the women that are harsher judged than men.

It puzzles me. David was there too!

Why is Louise taking the brunt of people´s disgust?
We don´t know how things went down in that home yet.
I see it everywhere and it depresses me that it ALWAYS is the women that are harsher judged than men.

It puzzles me. David was there too!

I don't think that's the case so much here on WS. Most of us place the blame on them equally - they were in this together, agreeing on their bizarre "parenting" style. Right now, though, it's a matter of their attitude that is being reported - DT seems remorseful but LT seems to be in denial.

I don't think that's the case so much here on WS. Most of us place the blame on them equally - they were in this together, agreeing on their bizarre "parenting" style. Right now, though, it's a matter of their attitude that is being reported - DT seems remorseful but LT seems to be in denial.

I think he is sorry they got caught, not remorseful. He wasn´t crying while his kids were starved, beaten, molested and chained.

He looks like he is in charge of his faculties, whereas Louise seems insane on some level.
I don´t know if that is the case, but she looks like she has no grasp of reality.

I think he is sorry they got caught, not remorseful. He wasn´t crying while his kids were starved, beaten, molested and chained.

He looks like he is in charge of his faculties, whereas Louise seems insane on some level.
I don´t know if that is the case, but she looks like she has no grasp of reality.

I just can't tell if she is really that out of touch with reality of or if it is just another ploy or game she is playing. On the surface it seems like her only regret, if you can call it that, is that her perfect lifestyle was shattered.

I just can't tell if she is really that out of touch with reality of or if it is just another ploy or game she is playing. On the surface it seems like her only regret, if you can call it that, is that her perfect lifestyle was shattered.

If she thinks that was a perfect lifestyle, she IS insane!

During the bits of the hearings I've seen on video, where LT looks over at DT and he looks back at her, she looks like she knows exactly what's going on and why. The look seemed to be one of acknowledgement "well, it's over, now we're deep in it".

If she's a narcissistic control freak, maybe she's having trouble adjusting to jail life...maybe she is trying to fake insanity in the hope she'll go to a hospital where she'll get positive attention from staff instead of what she's experiencing in jail? In a mental hospital setting she might try to take on other inmates into the role that she had her children play for all these years, but she won't be able to do that with fellow prisoners in the prison wings.

attachment.php

I agree. In my "spare time", I design book covers and do literary promo work using PS, Paintnet, Illustrator, etc. I see no signs of photoshopping. Naturally people are free to draw their own conclusions but I think it is important to refrain from making statements ("it was obviously photoshopped", etc) when all we really have to go by are our own experiences and opinions.

Good point. If it is a choice between a few weeks in jail and a year’s probation for stealing a burger and an indefinite period in a psychiatric hospital, I will take the guilty plea. (But then, I am not crazy. 😉)

However, if it is a choice between life in prison and an indefinite period in a psychiatric hospital, maybe there is some “advantage” to being crazy.

That is a view point I hadn't considered. It would be to her advantage in that regard because she has nothing to lose. While she might eventually get out of a mental hospital, I doubt she'd be out in a few years. That said, an indefinite sentence would be preferable to life in prison without parole.

On the topic pleading insanity, I don't think she is legally insane from what we've heard and seen. I agree unchaining the children indicated knowledge of right and wrong. However, she could argue she was following David's orders to unchain the kids and maintain she did not unchain them because their treatment was wrong and the police showed up.

Both the Turpins knew exactly what they were doing and why. They had years and years to change how they treated their children, yet just continued the horror. I have no feelings nor concern for either of them, and truly believe the regrets come solely because they were caught.

I was just channel-surfing when I saw and heard someone who looked familiar to me on Dr. Oz. I stopped (usually don't watch his show) and realized it's LT's sister. The show is taking them to the jail to meet with DT (apparently LT "begged" them to visit him).

Not sure if this is an old episode and has already been discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karen Simmons Guinn