GUILTY CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, son #1 is child #2. Switching from general birth order to gender birth order can cause confusion.

There are 3 sons and the first son (initials JD) is the second child. The fourth child is also a son, so son #2 is child #4. The third son is child #9.

(Child#3 is daughter #2, child#5 is daughter #3 and so forth.)

That´s right, but it said son #2, so that was very confusing..

http://people.com/crime/house-of-horrors-turpin-siblings-want-get-ged-college/

Positive article about the siblings and their plans for education, among other things. For the older ones, at least, that includes getting their GED or high school diploma, and then going to college. NOT online, because they don't want to be secluded any more, but at school and out in the public with people. A plan is being worked out for all of their education.

John Denver estate sent them John Denver's entire discography after they showed interest in learning the guitar and the music of John Denver.

The article from People magazine calls them "bright and articulate" - this despite the cognitive issues initially noted with their rescue. They want to be part of society.

Positive article about the siblings and their plans for education, among other things. For the older ones, at least, that includes getting their GED or high school diploma, and then going to college. NOT online, because they don't want to be secluded any more, but at school and out in the public with people. A plan is being worked out for all of their education.

John Denver estate sent them John Denver's entire discography after they showed interest in learning the guitar and the music of John Denver.

The article from People magazine calls them "bright and articulate" - this despite the cognitive issues initially noted with their rescue. They want to be part of society.

That sounds wonderful.
I do think the siblings look smart and I am sure they will reach their individual goals.

I hope the world treats them with kindness.

I wish the Marvelous 13 all the success in the world. And that the John Denver estate sent them their catalogue is so sweet. John Denver's songs were mostly about the outdoors and wilderness, things that the siblings were never able to experience being imprisoned as they were. No wonder they are drawn to Denver's music! I hope they eventually can go camping, hiking, etc. or even just move to Colorado if that is what they want!

This is great! I love that they want to be "fully engaged students" and be there in person. I always missed just being around others when I had to take internet classes. If they wanted to ease into socialization, it would still be a miracle showing the strength of their spirit.
I hope they don't push themselves too hard, tho. Everything takes time.

“It is an extraordinarily positive thing for them and it will take some time to get used to, which is another reason we are trying to keep this transition at a slow and steady pace.”

Eventually,” Mason says, “they are going to be just regular people out in the community — going to classes, getting jobs walking around and you would never know. The problem is that they have been through some unparalleled trauma, so it is going to take a little time. But I think they are very resilient and they are going to ultimately be fine.”

They are very resilient, I'm so happy for their bright futures.

If I would have to predict someone to be angry , it would be them.

We see entitled kids such as Elliot R.killing. But these “kids”have such a different attitude. I wonder how that happenend?

If I would have to predict someone to be angry , it would be them.

We see entitled kids such as Elliot R.killing. But these “kids”have such a different attitude. I wonder how that happenend?

I’m guessing you’re referring to Elliot Rodgers? Was be tortured, isolated, and abused by his parents? Tied up, allowed one shower a year? How do these cases compare at all?? A mentally ill self proclaimed victim killing people as opposed to true victims who didn’t know much more than being a victim. The Turpin victims are different from Elliot Rodgers because their situations aren’t alike at all. This seems like a very odd comparison, maybe more fitting for the Florida shooting case. Unless I’m missing something, which is possible since I haven’t followed the Elliot Rodgers case.

Correct and the orig post said sibling #2 which would be the oldest son. I was incorrect and typed son #2 instead of sibling #2. But was unable to edit. But Sibling #2 is JD

Yeah, I figured you meant “the son who is sibling #2”. Juggling all the birth order numbers can get confusing.

I’m guessing you’re referring to Elliot Rodgers? Was be tortured, isolated, and abused by his parents? Tied up, allowed one shower a year? How do these cases compare at all?? A mentally ill self proclaimed victim killing people as opposed to true victims who didn’t know much more than being a victim. The Turpin victims are different from Elliot Rodgers because their situations aren’t alike at all. This seems like a very odd comparison, maybe more fitting for the Florida shooting case. Unless I’m missing something, which is possible since I haven’t followed the Elliot Rodgers case.

I believe human was simply trying to say just that. We would assume the opposite to play out in each circumstance. It would at least be more predictable and understandable. Elliot was NOT tortured, isolated, and abused by his parents, yet still turned to violence and destruction. The Turpin victims, though they were all of those things, are opting to instead seek a positive path of rebirth. Human, it seems, was simply wondering why some people use hardship as a catalyst for growth while others seem to crumble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the People article:

--The first step, Mason says, will be obtaining their GED or high-school diploma. He is working with local university officials to “put together an educational plan for all of them” and says the siblings “for the most part have not had any kind of formal schooling.”

--“None of them has had what I think anyone would consider adequate exposure to education, and that is what we are trying to remedy right now,” Mason says.

That just highlights the failure of the parents where education is concerned, despite the community college grades of #2 - and despite what they indicated in their yearly reports for the homeschool.

That's kind of like when mothers are considered the "bad cop" that does things like discipline and maintenance in the house while the dad gets to be "good cop" mostly due to all the house hold stuff being "womens' work". I'm not really talking solely of the Turpin's marriage. I'm trying to compare the idea that LT was the ruler with the disproportionate roles mothers and fathers can take on sometimes when it comes to relating to their children. Like the mother is considered the primary care-giver (even if she also works outside the home) and the dad gets to hang loose.

eta: it's kind of like how mitt romney had all them kids but no idea how to hold a baby

Yeah, well...Mitt... pfft. lol

eh...what? Dad = Good Cop? :silly:

Maybe in some households or maybe times have changed, but for generations there existed the cliche of Moms everywhere who've threatened: "you just wait until your father gets home!"

That she engages in flirty behavior doesn’t mean she is the “stronger” person, much less “the enforcer.”

Flirty behavior and smiling are actually signs of weakness and submissiveness.

It is true that many women (and men) gain power through flirting and smiling, but they do so because they succeed in reassuring and chatming the person who potentially has power over them.

In this context, the flirty smiles and so forth just show that she is either in La la land or doing a good job of pretending. Either way, I doubt anyone is buying her flirting except maybe DT.

As to whether she was or was not dominant in the relationship, I think it is too simplistic to try to identify one or the other as “dominant,” because they appear to have had a symbiotic relationship.

I wouldn’t be surprised if one of them threw the other under the bus, but it will probably take a while before they are ready to detach from their sick relationship.

I wrote a long couple of posts about this earlier but the computer was playing up too much to get them through.

Right now I would agree with symbiosis, maybe with her leading DT into taking certain actions by using those submissive gestures, and him completing the action to please her.

DT's face and eyes looked so different in this hearing, I think he said something like "Do you feel okay?". He looked a lot more in control of himself. I thought she looked very similar to before but maybe a bit of boredom?

The main thing I was thinking earlier was that maybe LT views the kids as toys. Toys to take out and play with, toys that won't always behave in the prescribed and desired manner, toys that need to be punished, toys that need to be locked away in the toybox when she gets bored or annoyed with them.

I wonder if when she needs the kids punished or put in line she turns to DT to fix it for her. I imagine the kids' experience of her being quite bipolar in nature, either very happy (too happy/fake happy) or hissing, spitting mad. I think maybe DT is more subtle in his switches from being "the strict father figure" to being "the enforcer".

I think those flirtations/coquettish looks from LT probably stem from childhood/teen trauma and part of it is a detachment from reality, and part of it a way to manipulate men.

I wonder if LT sometimes wishes she was younger and that the kids were her siblings, and I wonder if she and DT have developed a sort of father/daughter relationship with her being a child-woman going from needy to coquettish, and him acting as her protector, the one who fixes all her problems (including things like chaining up kids who she's got bored or annoyed with).

I think LT looks like she covets attention in a quite childlike way. I think she might be breaking apart a bit being in jail, I think she may have a lot of deep-seated psychological issues...which doesn't in my mind excuse what she's done but might contribute to how she's done things. When the sisters spoke about their meeting with LT in jail I thought the la la land might be pretense, but I'm now thinking she might be undergoing a deeper regression to protect her mind from what is really happening. I think she's been flickering between child/teen personas for 30 years and playing at being an adult, pretending to act like an adult when she talks with her sisters or neighbors, but I don't know if she's at risk for losing the adult persona entirely and regressing back to a sort of sexualized child persona. If I'm wrong about her I'm wrong and not afraid of being wrong, but I'd personally be ordering psych tests on her...I feel a bit scared of her maybe displaying quite inappropriate behavior if this goes to trial and she has to take the stand.

I agree they seem to be symbiotic and feeding off each other to contribute to each other's cruelty of the children.

A new poster upthread reminded me about the drawing on the wall and when I saw the full picture of the figure, I found it deeply disturbing. I suspect there will be much more info about sexual abuse and parenting by humiliation and ongoing torturous neglect. I agree that the kids were treated like toys, taken down from the shelf and dusted and polished to show off for special occasions. Possessions that were constant annoyances after they turned about 3 or 4 years old and the only way to deal with them was to enforce total control over their every move.

What I find most interesting about the Turpin case is that in spite of all the abuse and neglect, the older Turpin off-spring seem to have come out “articulate” and “friendly.” These words (or similar words) have been used to refer to them repeatedly and in different contexts.

We don’t know about the younger ones, but we do know that the one who escaped (J-8) is intelligent and articulate and courageous. Of her and of the oldest sister (J-1, who sang her songs to her cousin Miranda) we could also say “They are creative.” And of the oldest brother (J-2) who held his own in a few community college classes, we can also say “intelligent.” Community college is not particularly challenging, but he came in woefully unprepared and managed to get high grades. That requires not only effort but intelligence.

In spite of all that was wrong in the Turpin household, there seem to have been room for at least some of them to grow into individuals with voices. It is rather remarkable given that the parents clearly did not see them as individuals and showed no inclination to give any of them a voice.

What I find most interesting about the Turpin case is that in spite of all the abuse and neglect, the older Turpin off-spring seem to have come out “articulate” and “friendly.” These words (or similar words) have been used to refer to them repeatedly and in different contexts.

We don’t know about the younger ones, but we do know that the one who escaped (J-8) is intelligent and articulate and courageous. Of her and of the oldest sister (J-1, who sang her songs to her cousin Miranda) we could also say “They are creative.” And of the oldest brother (J-2) who held his own in a few community college classes, we can also say “intelligent.” Community college is not particularly challenging, but he came in woefully unprepared and managed to get high grades. That requires not only effort but intelligence.

In spite of all that was wrong in the Turpin household, there seem to have been room for at least some of them to grow into individuals with voices. It is rather remarkable given that the parents clearly did not see them as individuals and showed no inclination to give any of them a voice.

Some people are just genuinely kind and decent. These kids are probably that - kind, appreciative, nice, decent, and tired of abuse and violence. They probably just want to feel nice feelings and to live their lives in peace, thus, their kindness and respectful behaviour towards the people who took care of them.

Some people are just genuinely kind and decent. These kids are probably that - kind, appreciative, nice, decent, and tired of abuse and violence. They probably just want to feel nice feelings and to live their lives in peace, thus, their kindness and respectful behaviour towards the people who took care of them.

The first three years of life are critical to development. It could be that as infants and toddlers they got a lot of love and holding giving them a basis to build upon.

As there were more children, I am sure the sibs helped in holding and playing with the new arrival.

I was surprised to read on here somewhere that the youngest child had some great needs as well— unspecified.

I knew a woman who loved her children until about age four. She had four boys and three husbands, two kids with each of the first two husbands.

She was a terrific mother with her young ones. Then she would give the kids up to the father at the divorce time and have little to do,with them. The first two thrived with the father.

The second two had sad outcomes. One killed himself as a teen and the other has severe mental illness.

I really wonder how they survived.

What I was talking about was their ability to communicate (articulate), to develop some sort of “voice,” to use their intelligence and be able to grow. These are abilities that could be stifled by upbringing, especially the kind of restrictive environment that these kids lived in.

I wasn’t saying anything about their ability to be “kind.” It is too soon to say that they are “genuinely kind and decent.” We can only say that so far they come across as “kind and decent.” But there is a lot of evidence that at least some of these kids have intelligence, creativity,and the ability to communicate.

I don’t disagree that they are tired of violence and appreciative of the good things now in their lives.

O/T

http://people.com/crime/friends-spe...WSLETTER":"TRUE_CRIME","ZIP":"","COUNTRY":""}

In the wake of a mysterious crash that authorities fear killed an entire family of eight, friends of the dead have been paying tribute to their memory as some neighbors voice previous child abuse concerns.

The family frequented festivals around Oregon and regularly went exploring together, according to the paper.

Dana said that one of the Hart boys would allegedly come over and ask for food because his mothers did not feed him and his siblings and wouldn’t let them play outside. “He was asking that we not tell his mom, to hide it [the food] and put it by the fence so he could get to it,” Dana told KOIN, alleging, “They were withholding food from him.”

Another morning, the couple said, a 12-year-old girl wandered over and asked for help.

The couple claimed they did not know the family had six children because they never saw the kids play outside.

Three days before the crash was reported, Washington State Department of Social and Health Services received a call reporting that the six Hart children appeared to be “potential victims of alleged abuse or neglect,” Norah West, the department’s spokeswoman, tells PEOPLE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PTA