CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there’s almost no chance the 13 will be placed together (they apparently didn’t even have a hospital for all 13). I guess the bright side is that provides more opportunity for each child to get the attention they deserve. But a huge loss too. [emoji22]

The adults were sent to one hospital (Corona) and the minors sent to Riverside. Got the impression from the article detailing how the Corona staff "was brought to tears" that was due to the fact that Corona is less geared to pediatric than Riverside. (The staff got teary when they thought at first they'd been sent "pediatric" patients.)

Concerning the kids' later placement--it was that same article, I think, where I read the director already telling media that it would be in the kids' best interests to be kept together (all 13) after being released...but that that would be much further down the road due to treatment and recovery. I'll see if I can find that link again.

"[Teresa] Robinette said her sister left home at 16 to get married to David, who was eight years her senior. She said her sister and brother-in-law were very strict with their kids.

“They weren't allowed to date, or they didn't have a social life,” she said. “They weren't allowed to watch TV. They weren't allowed to talk on the phone, have friends over, stuff like that. Normal things that kids do.”

More here -- also has photo of family with adult children with faces unblurred. https://www.today.com/news/aunt-13-children-held-captive-parents-california-home-speaks-out-t121288

JMO

Re BBM
There it is. No TV and nothing allowed that would allow them to develop like other normal kids.

I feel so terribly sad for these children. And to think how long this went on. My goodness. They are going to need lots of professional care.

This from a Columbus, Ohio newspaper: "There also is a central Ohio family tie. David Turpin is the younger brother of J. Randolph “Randy” Turpin, 59, president of Valor Christian College on the Southeast Side, according to WCMH (Channel 4). The college is connected with World Harvest Church.

A school spokesman told the TV station that the president and his family are dealing with “revelations about estranged family members.” The station also reported that Randy Turpin has taken a leave of absence."
http://www.dispatch.com/news/20180117/authorities-describes-filth-depravity-inside-california-home

It would seem that religiosity, or Christian fundamentalism, is a strong thread across both sides of the family. Many people who are deeply religious live very stable, normal lives. As do many people who home school their children. However, both also seem to provide easy cover for people who are suffering from maladies/tendencies that thrive in social isolation. Just food for thought.

Also--not up to speed on this new thread yet, but the hoarding information is certainly of interest and seems to fit.

There was discussing in the first thread that it looked like some of the children had Turner's Syndrome or Russell-Silver Syndrome.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turner_syndrome
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver–Russell_syndrome

Interesting on the “precocious puberty” symptom. I hypothezised in another thread that the kids might have been starved to prevent them from reaching puberty.

Dad liked prepubescents? The boys were starved to keep them from telling? When they threatened to tell what was happening to their sisters?

Aunt on the father: "He did things that made me feel uncomfortable," she said. "If I were to get in the shower, he would come in there while I was in there and watch me, and it was like a joke. He never touched me or anything."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/aunt-13-siblings-allegedly-held-captive-years-touch/story?id=52401005

Gross.

Does anyone else think the kids look like they have some genetical physical deformity? I find it hard to believe it's all malnourishment

No, they look malnourished to me.

Does anyone know of any court dates scheduled for these two ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"[Teresa] Robinette said her sister left home at 16 to get married to David, who was eight years her senior. She said her sister and brother-in-law were very strict with their kids.

“They weren't allowed to date, or they didn't have a social life,” she said. “They weren't allowed to watch TV. They weren't allowed to talk on the phone, have friends over, stuff like that. Normal things that kids do.”

More here -- also has photo of family with adult children with faces unblurred. https://www.today.com/news/aunt-13-children-held-captive-parents-california-home-speaks-out-t121288

There is a variation of the Lutheran religion that some folks of Scandinavian heritage practice called Laestadian.

Among other things, they believe in having a child as often as possible, obviously no birth control, limited modern conveniences and strict up bringing. Along the same lines of some Amish or Mennonite sects. This case reminds me of this a lot.

Here is a quote and a link:
"The Laestadian Lutheran Church teaches of God's kingdom and need for repentance and the forgiveness of sins. The church holds, in accord with the Lutheran Confessions, that the Bible is the highest guide and authority for Christian faith, doctrine, and life. The norms in the congregation such as refraining from birth-control, make-up, and dancing, are some of the things members do not feel are right to do as a child of God."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laestadian_Lutheran_Church

Correction to my post in a previous thread: the 17-yr old escaped and called LE "minutes before sunrise," per this WaPo article: https://tinyurl.com/y7playzl

(I'd incorrectly stated she'd escaped and called at 12:05am - but looking at the article again in newschannel6now, it appears that was the news outlet's publishing timeline rather than a crime timeline.)

I am sure this has been shared but just in case. Sounds very hopeful to me.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/doctor-sh...-achieved-021212999--abc-news-topstories.html

''The adults siblings are currently in stable condition but have not been medically cleared to be discharged from the hospital. They are being kept together in the same unit in an attempt to recreate a family environment as they undergo physical, psychiatric, cognitive and medical evaluations by a team of doctors in the coming days.

Hospital staff are most concerned about the eldest child, a 29-year-old woman who Uffer mistook as about 13 to 14 years old, he said.

Kamalpour and Uffer hope that with the a good environment that includes "appropriate" nourishment, physical activity and social interaction, all of the siblings will eventually be able to live a normal life. Hospital staff are currently coordinating with adult protective services to determine how to achieve that, emphasizing that there is "no rush to push them out the door," Uffer said.''
Oh........poor girl.....I always thought one of the boys was the 29 yo in the videos.

No, they look malnourished to me.

Remember, according to articles on long term starvation, undernourishment can affect organs and cognitive abilities.
what we see on the outside is also happening inside the bodies. Now couple that with being chained to furniture for
who knows how long, and physical impairment has to happen.

JMO

Re BBM
There it is. No TV and nothing allowed that would allow them to develop like other normal kids.

I feel so terribly sad for these children. And to think how long this went on. My goodness. They are going to need lots of professional care.

I am almost surprised that the 17 year old even knew to use a deactivated phone to contact 9-1-1

I am more and more persuaded that some children were born who are not included in the current tally of thirteen. On the bankruptcy paperwork in August 2011, the Turpins listed eleven dependents aged 19, 17, 15, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 7, 6, 4. If you don't include the eldest known daughter (who would have been 23 at the time) this aligns well with what we know about the next seven children, with the current 17 year old who made the call to 911 being the ten year old on the bankruptcy paperwork. It's among the under-tens circa 2011 that things get strange. The Elvis from the Elvis Chapel who performed the "weddings" in 2011, 2013, and 2015 (-ish?) said that he had seen the family grow -- that "their family kept growing." This suggests to me more than one kid added since 2011. And there are four sons listed on the bankruptcy paperwork, but only three sons in photographs. Did they take the kids to the 2011 "wedding"? Or only to the 2013 and 2015 ones?

If no kids are missing, it means that all of the kids except thee baby in the 2015 wedding photos are over eight years old at the time, and that there is at least an eight year age gap between the baby and the next youngest kid.

I'm wondering if there were up to two more born between 2007 and 2015 and if up to two (possibly including one boy) of the as many as seven born 2002 and later is/are missing. They moved to the Muir Woods house in 2010. I'm hoping the smell in the house is feces and nothing even worse.

I'm sorry but this is too much. If the aunt experienced this, didn't have communication with her sister for 19 years, the mom wasn't responsive to the families requests to visit, the mom didn't attend either of her parents funerals and the family saw the photos and videos of the kids via facebook and they are now saying they thought something was going on - WHY didn't they intervene while it was happening?? There is no excuse, imo. There is nothing normal about the photos, the condition of the kids in them and the awkward videos. And suddenly in 2016 nothing else is posted! Now the aunt comes out and is doing the media rounds? Wants a relationship. I hope that CPS protects these kids from further abuse and from the sudden influence of "family". Sorry this is way messed up.

Even if well-intentioned, IMO the family I've seen thus far in the media doesn't seem especially equipped to handle the needs of so many deeply damaged kids. This goes beyond "blood" here. The grandparents are elderly and alternately upset and in denial, the sister has her own struggles and large family...and the 13 kids who've been chronically damaged by "blood" are going to need a prolonged supportive environment headed up by someone who is extraordinarily equipped (psychologically and otherwise) to deal with their unique challenges. I'm not sure any family member could be expected to be up to the task, but especially not in this situation, it seems. JMO, IMHO

I am wondering if any of these children were home births, and do they all have birth certificates and social security numbers. Not asking for links, just something that keeps eathing at me, for unknown reasons.

Caramel, I believe the first Elvis wedding was 2011, no children went to that one. Then one in 2013 and 2015 where
children went to both.
Makes me wonder who was in charge at home and how they made sure none escaped in 2011. Or were they all packed
in the van and made to stay there during the ceremony. ???

JMO
I would hope they could find a willing and capable couple that could handle all 13 children but I am being realistic about this and I have to think the odds of finding a single couple willing to take on all 13 children has to be slim.

Which is why I sadly think the children will likely have to be separated and split up to different caregivers.

And I put 100 percent blame on their parents for having caused this situation, and for having so many children without planning what would happen in the event one or both of them cannot care for them anymore. They even went so far as to isolate themselves from other family members which would have been their only hope if one or both of them could not care for the children.
Totally irresponsible and selfish IMO.

With all due respect Hatfield, I am realistic too. I was just sharing a positive story of someone who I think is quite inspiring. I know it's less likely than these children being separated. I'm not unrealistic.

Caramel, I believe they bought current home in 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor