CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Hestrin said all 13 of the couple's children were severely malnourished.

He said the teenager who fled from the house earlier this week to raise the alarm had planned the escape with her siblings for two years.
She fled through a window with a sibling, who then became afraid and returned to the house, he added.

The couple's children, who are aged between two and 29, have been treated in hospital since being freed.

Mr Hestrin said that the couple had punished their children by tying them up - first using ropes and later using chains and padlocks.

He said the punishments would last weeks or months at a time.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42741049

That shame is shared with most states in the US. The "home schooling" business is mostly unregulated with no inspections, no standards for parent "teachers", standard curriculum, approved teaching materials, proof of attendance, etc. as are required in public schools. One recent news article mentioned a case of home schooling where the children could quote blocks of the Bible from memory, but couldn't recognize or draw a square or circle. JMO, that's child abuse, too.

I believe most (or many, or some, or at least my) states have something called "educational neglect" that parents can be charged with. However, it is written around an assumption that education is about getting a kid to a (public or private) school. Goes hand in hand with truancy. Doesn't work well with home schooling, which may look lots of different ways. Using an online curriculum, for instance, I kid may put in just 4 hours a day and go well beyond grade level expectations. Or, in your example, may put in many hours diligently learning the Bible but never any time in learning anything else. Regulating home schools gets into very touchy area as many people who home school do so out of strong mistrust of anything regulated by the government. Others are strongly committed to corporal punishment and fear losing their children if anyone finds out. And these folks can make quite a noise in state legislatures if anyone proposes regulating their thing.

I am curious about the living quarters in Texas where they, at least for some period of time, lived apart from the kids.
They would take food to them and then leave. Where were they living, and where were these kids being 'stored'?

The $40,000 farm in Texas had 2 homes on property, one brick home and one trailer. Neighbors mentioned they moved
out of the house and moved into trailer, she thought due to hoarding.

-Neglect eventually became abuse
-Some didn't have a conception of what police or pills were
-Siblings had been planning escape for 2 years
-Only activity kids were allowed to do was write in journals [have to wonder at what level they were written in]
-Chains and padlocks started out as ropes for punishment; they were rarely out of the restraints as they grew older. Not allowed to use the restroom.
-One of the older victims actually attended classes at a college accompanied by Louise
-Everyone slept all day, but got up in the middle of the night
-29 year old girl was 82 lbs
-2 year old was getting enough to eat

Man, David and Louise were some real depraved, sadistic sociopaths.

I am curious about the living quarters in Texas where they, at least for some period of time, lived apart from the kids.
They would take food to them and then leave. Where were they living, and where were these kids being 'stored'?

According to the reports from Texas neighbors, the house was full of crap they hoarded so they moved into the trailer they had on the property. I guess the parents moved to the trailer and left the kids at home? That's what it's sounding like.

jmo

DA was not aware of religion playing a part......but the investigation is young.

-Neglect eventually became abuse
-Some didn't have a conception of what police or pills were
-Siblings had been planning escape for 2 years
-Only activity kids were allowed to do was write in journals [have to wonder at what level they were written in]
-Chains and padlocks started out as ropes for punishment; they were rarely out of the restraints as they grew older. Not allowed to use the restroom.
-One of the older victims actually attended classes at a college accompanied by Louise
-Everyone slept all day, but got up in the middle of the night
-29 year old girl was 82 lbs
-2 year old was getting enough to eat

Man, David and Louise were some real depraved, sadistic sociopaths.

Yes, sadistic.

Toward children.

Toward their own children.

jmo

I seem to remember reading that neighbors had thought they had moved into a trailer at one point. Maybe just the parents did. Or just the children.

I'm a huge Disney fan. Most So Cal kids who went as children, are, as it evokes a warm, childhood nostalgia feeling.

I had a pass for three years and would just sometimes go for an hour after work. I love it.

But I've noticed a definite weirdness among MANY of the diehard fans. For example, the people who collect the pins are downright bizarre. There are tons of them who meet to swap pins on a regular basis at Disney.

Disney is a fantasy world that can be an obsessive appeal to those for whom life has been a disappointment or struggle.

BBM.
Hey now, I collect pins when I go! 😛
I don't swap them though. I just collect them all on my lanyard.
But I get what you mean. I don't see the point in spending the money on a bunch of pins I like, just to trade them away for different ones!

I am...left speechless by this. So glad those poor souls have been released from their "parents" and are getting treatment and support in a safe environment. I've been reading the threads and posts as all the news rolls out, thinking "it can't get any worse", and then it does. Im following all of this in South African time, but I cant sleep because this is keeping me up.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Who exactly are these "friends" that they had said good bye to? And how did they not pick up on anything?

Yes, I've wondered the same thing. I'm assuming the parents were active in some local church or religious group. The "father" (that term really doesn't apply, maybe "sperm donor") was raised in the Pentecostal faith back in West Virginia. This horrific lifestyle is likely tied to their religious beliefs. While others in their faith based peer group may not be as radical, JMO this "quiverfull", "home schooling", corporal punishment and abusive parenting was their version of folllowing those religious beliefs. Many of the beliefs of these religions are borderline abusive to children, so it's not hard to imagine how some parents can cross the line into much more abusive behavior.

JMO, the "home schooling" seems to be the trigger for these abusive hyper-religious folks. Once the law allows them to teach their children at home with no oversight, it sets off abusive parental practices that can spiral out of control.

So what would constitute lewd behaviour under CA law?

Maybe "touching" or making her do that or pleasuring himself and making her watch....BARF. I think that any penetration would be considered to be rape, but ask Gitana maybe, I'm not a lawyer.

Mods, hope this link is acceptable. Lewd acts per CA law.
http://esfandilawfirm.com/crimes/ca-penal-code-288-lewd-acts-with-a-minor/

CA Penal Code 288
LEWD ACTS WITH A MINOR
To be convicted of Lewd Acts with a Minor Under 14, CA Penal Code 288, the prosecutor must prove:

That you willfully touched any part of a child’s body or that you willfully caused a child to touch his/her own body, your body, or another’s person’s body
That you did so with the intent of arousing, appealing to, or gratifying the lust, passion, or sexual desires of your or of the child

They let the children look at the pies/food but they couldn't eat it.
They bought toys but the children couldn't play w/them.
Sounds like parents enjoyed torturing their children.

Sadism may play a huge role in their relationship with one another.

It makes the way the parents goo-goo eye each other in the videos all the more disturbing.

I don't think it was a burner phone, just one not in service. Could have been an older phone that had been replaced. If you go through your old phone drawer at home (don't we all have one?) and pull out one of your old ones and charge it up, when turned on, it should give a message about only being able to make 911 calls.

You can also use them with wifi if there is no service.

AnaPisces said:
They don't know if there was a trigger or what it was to make the children escape.

about 50 posts back it was said that they were going to move again. I guess that's why they (2 girls) planned the escape!

And someone mentioned if this was a fiction book to read - it would NOT be believed. Those poor children!! :tears:

strawberry said:
Arraignment at 1:30 (430 EST)

and 11:30pm Eastern European time.... :gaah: late for me - but I know you all will have links and will be discussed when I come & read tomorrow!

everytime I finish a page another two pop up!!! I'm reading as fast as I can!

Maybe "touching" or making her do that or pleasuring himself and making her watch....BARF.

Maybe.

I think that any penetration would be considered to be rape, but ask Gitana maybe, I'm not a lawyer.

Given what has emerged, there would certainly be a question as to whether any of the girls knew enough to be able to consent to sex.

So curious how our hero knew to call 911 when we're hearing that the siblings didn't know what a police officer was. I hope we hear more about how they planned the escape over two years. (I like success stories!)

jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member