CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhere there is an article that said people would see the parents eating at Applebee’s. I imagine the parents went out to eat often. Why not.

I cannot imagine they paid much in taxes with so many deductions.

Placing food where children could see is another way to show the children they were not worthy. If only they were———- fill in the blanks—— they could get food, but unfortunately, they were not meeting the parents’ reasonable expectations . Heavy sarcasm.

disgusting. They need to keep these angels far, far away from ALL sides of their family! Is there any way we as the public can make it known to officials they shouldn't be around any family??

No doubt if they're placed with LTs side they'll be pimped out for money and paraded around like a circus act. If placed with DTs side they'll be brainwashed into thinking they deserved this, and that they lied and ruined their parents lives.

from watching videos, I find it interesting that the two who seem kind of mentally challenged were kept shackled more often..curious if the parents couldn't deal with their disabilities?

SABBM

*1st bolded bit * Agreed !

*2nd bolded bit * Curious if any of them are mentally challenged.. and if so -- probably a result of starvation and deprivation !! Horrible to think of giving birth to a healthy child -- only to abuse said child to the point where he/she can no longer function normally ? :(
:moo:

RSBM

Well said !

And, :welcome6: , carnabystreet !!! :)

Thank you!
I see some people speculating that one or more of the children may have special needs. This is of course possible, but absolutely not certain. At least, they may not have been born that way, and their conditions are instead a result of the abuse and neglect.
The second youngest boy appears to have a lazy eye, AKA amblyopia. You can Google for pics. I have this condition, and if untreated it gives that appearance of not being able to focus. It looks like he absolutely should be wearing glasses or contact lenses, but I guess we know why he isn't.

Yes and remember early on his wife chastised the reporter and said something like "I wish you all would stop reporting this stuff. My son's family are a very respectable family." um, okay.

This is continuous news where I live thousands of miles from the US. I hope this is something that makes people around the world become more aware and concerned.

are LE taking DNA from all the children to make sure they are their children?

This is continuous news where I live thousands of miles from the US. I hope this is something that makes people around the world become more aware and concerned.

Yes, more awareness and willingness to speak up may be the only good thing that comes from this. I’m of the “see something, say something” school of thought. I’d rather be wrong and look stupid than second guess myself and not speak up. I would hate to be the people who saw strange things going on with this family over the years and “minded their own business.” Better to be safe than sorry IMO. Someone who is not abusing their kids should appreciate someone being proactive, even if it’s embarrassing.

One time I saw a rather strange looking man alone with a very small little girl at a campground. I didn’t have an opportunity to speak to him myself, but you’d better believe I called LE. They checked and were satisfied that the situation was OK.

I really hope they keep the "grandparents" away from these victims. Can any of our lawyer friends can tell us if they would have legal standing to claim custody? Please say no. I want these victims traken care of by people who give three and a half hoots about their happiness.

I read on some online source the grandmother is 81. Can you imagine her raising these kids? And, the aunt? No thanks.

I'm sorry if this was brought up before but, is there any speculation as to why Mike Hestrin DA pleaded with the public for information?
It seemed odd to me as he claimed no-one else knew it was happening.
Do they think maybe there were other families/people outside of the family involved?

Maybe people seeing the life the parents’ led. Eating out, buying stuff like the cars, clothes for themselves. Maybe testify that the parents seemed perfectly normal.

I'm sorry if this was brought up before but, is there any speculation as to why Mike Hestrin DA pleaded with the public for information?
Do they think maybe there were other families/people outside of the family involved?

If the family went on these outings, then they may have had someone assisting with the logistics. How does a family of 15 travel? Did their vehicle accommodate such a group?

I'm still wondering where all their money was going. The bankruptcy docs in a previous post indicated that DT was bringing home upwards of $7500/mo net. The mortgage would have been a bit high, somewhere between $2-3000. But if they're not feeding the kids, not getting them medical care, have low electric and water bills due to abusive control tactics....then where is all the money going? They obviously don't pay credit card bills, so guessing it's not going to debt. Is that where the hoarding comes in, are they just spending it on crap? Drugs? Some kind of sexual deviancy? Just something really weird about that to me...

Is it possible that they may think there was an infant, before, or after, the two year old? An infant, that family/friends, who are on social media, may not have been aware of, as the child was not pictured on social media, but a neighbor, may have seen an additional child. It may only have just now, started "clicking" with folks, as to what they've seen, or even not seen, when the Turpin family lived near them.

Interesting point about immunization records. Attending school would require records, but not sure if records are needed if you just attend a class here and there. If you're not actually registered as a full-time student, perhaps you don't need to provide immunization records? IDK.

jmo

My kids are grown but I remember when they went to college we did have to provide shot records. But we are told IIRC last doctor visit was 4 years ago? I personally don't know who sent at that time. Possible was current at the time registered?

You guys...I really just can’t.

I have been reading from day one but wanted time to process before posting because I am at such a loss for words and heartbroken for these siblings. And just so so angry. I worked in the child welfare system during graduate school, first in foster care and then later as a child advocate for children “in care” (Foster Care of under supervision of the state) as part of the child’s legal team.Part of my job was to watchdog the state and the foster care agencies to be sure they were doing what they were mandated to do in their care of the children. After two years, I hated the system so much that I vowed never to work within it again.

That being said, I have seen ALOT of absolutely heart wrenching abuse and neglect. It never gets easier. But this case. THIS CASE of abuse is absolutely incomprehensible. have seen the system work and have seen positive outcomes for children who have been abused and neglected. I have seen the system break down more often that not and fail this children as well. It’s all very complex. If you would like to understand the Federal Regulations regarding child welfare systems in the U.S. just google ASFA. (The adoption and safe families act). It will explain that as of 1994, the system immediately looks to place children in “Kinship” foster care (relatives) rather than with strangers . If that fails, they will be placed with non-kin foster parents. The focus is always on reunification of the family , (within 3 years) if that is not possible, the children will be “freed “ for adoption, preferably by the foster parent they have been residing with and bonding with since removal. In this kind of case, reunification would not even remotely be attempted or on the table, due to the sheer extreme abuse and neglect. And hopefully he 96 years in prison that they face.

I hope to GOD , and also highly doubt, that these children would ever be subjected to any of these external family members, especially after what I have seen and read coming from the grandparents and the Aunt. Familial dysfunction is also often generational. With the absolute horror and subsequent trauma that these siblings have been through, I cannot see how being anywhere near their extended relatives would be healthy and not detrimental.

Also, I really hope that the Adult Siblings may actually become the guardians of the minors, which will keep them together. The trauma bonds here are going to be very very strong. Separating them at this time could be absolutely detrimental. They survived literal WAR together their entire lives and likely kept each other alive and hopeful during times of absolute desperation. This happens in the child welfare system. An adult brother or sister can become the guardian. That being said, these adult siblings are also extremely traumatized and have so much recovery to contend with . A trusted specialized adult , trauma expert, helping them along would be very necessary if they chose to go this route.

I have so many more thoughts. I cannot stop thinking about these siblings. I am filled with rage at the cruelty of these very sadistic “parents”. They were absolute sadists. And I believe they would choose to go to trial just to intimidate their victims one more time.

They are ALL resilient and all true survivors. I stand in awe of the guts of that 17 year old who saved herself and her siblings . The effect of Stockholm Syndrome is extremely real and difficult to overcome.

I've googled and there doesn't seem to be any studies to prove or disprove either of our points.

I don't think anyone is saying abuse doesn't happen to children in public schools. I think we are just saying it's less likely to be reported if they are never in public and the physical abuse can be much worse chaining/starving/beating/burning etc which I think we can agree on.

I think that there are two big points. One is that schools tend to serve as something of a safety net. Not only do they put kids in contact with a number of adults beyond their household, but the have also been for decades a convenient way of disseminating and ensuring some basic public health information and practices. Kids have to show vaccination records (at least until recently) when they enrol. If the play sports they have to have a physical. School nurses (less true in recent years of tight budgets) perform vision screens. Kids who are not educated in schools, lose some of that protective umbrella.

The second big point is that public schools are regulated by their respective states (private schools somewhat less so). There are minimum requirements for who can teach, background screening for every adult who is around kids, minimums for hours of instruction, maximum student to teacher ratios and a whole slew of teaching/learning expectations. While corporal punishment is far from being universally banned, in most places there are at least some parameters (witnesses, reporting to parents, prior permission from parents) aimed at protecting children. And there are also a lot of basic health and safety regs (remember fire drills?). Kitchens have be inspected and kept to code, bathrooms have to be sanitary, unsafe conditions (roof leaks, broken windows, etc) have to be addressed.

Now, I will grant that even with all this regulating there's a lotta stuff slips through cracks and crannies. But with home schooling there is very little regulation (all depending on the state) regarding who can "teach" at home (in some states, education requirements are lower for parents than other home schoolers), how much is to be taught and what is to be taught. And while some excel in this free environment, it also opens the door to a range of folks from those who think that learning the Bible is enough to some "free rangers" who believe in just sort of letting kids wander around in hopes that they might learn something. Also folks who think that teaching is much easier than it really is. And then there are the Turpins (and others like them).

California seems to require only two things of home schoolers. One is to "register" as a school with the state. The other is an annual fire inspection. And apparently no one (local school board? the state?) has a responsibility to see that the annual inspection takes place. Can we imagine what a difference it might have made if at least one time a year the Turpins had to clean up the mess and let some firemen walk through to inspect? What if the Turpins had produce some evidence of curriculum planning? What if they had to show books and some student work? What if someone in one of those two states (Texas or California) was empowered to say to the Turpins, years ago, "sorry, the education you are providing for your children falls way below all established standards, do better or send them to school."

This case reminds me of the Stanley family in Arkansas. They were an off-the-grid religiously motivated, patriarchal family of homeschoolers, with a father who defended corporal punishment, and had some very fringy health practices. Enough suspicion that CPS removed all of their children, although they provided intensive services and ultimately returned the kids. Nowhere near what the Turpins are accused of, but still, as I said, enough suspicion for CPS to act. But, we know about them because a bunch of supporters started an online campaign making all kinds of accusations against the local LE and CPS, claimed that the family was being discriminated against for being religious and using "nutritional supplements." Family claimed that physical exams performed on the kids (who had never been to see a doctor) were traumatic. Had a whole lot to say about what they believed kids were being taught in school. And on and on. I bring them up because so many folks were willing to jump on their particular bandwagon and cry about "the state" intruding into families and carrying out some kind of vendetta against religion and home school. Now, their kids might not have suffered serious or lasting harm--or practices might well have gone south with them over time without the intervention they received. But, the folks who said the Stanleys shouldn't have to adhere to any minimums (in Arkansas families are required to register AND bring their kids for state testing once a year), don't seem to realize that they are also protecting parents like the Turpins.

There have been people saying how CPS fails often, which they do. Please be aware that the laws CPS operates under are written by legislators. CPS must follow the law.

If anyone thinks the laws are lacking, get involved with the legislation aspect.

As a retired teacher, I was a mandated reporter. We got training every year. We could not use our own standards to what was considered reportable. An incredibly messy house was not reportable. Only if it could damage health such as feces around.

I learned over the course of time that I had to be very firm and proactive with LE as well as CPS. They get lots of reports and not enough funding to carry out the work.

You have to insist by even asking for the intake person’s name so you say that you can have a reference if anything goes wrong one day, I would like to report about the screaming I had one day because LE was not going to go investigate. Not my proudest moment , but it turned out the abuse was far more horrible than anyone knew.

The children went to a foster home where they were further abused in another state. Finally reunited with the nice but poor grandparents . Lots to say about this but won’t.

Also, in the city where I lived there was a huge article about a family close to my house who adopted 8 siblings,They got a free , nice house and on and on of things.

Ironically, they lived a couple of doors down from a man who was high up in CPS. He would see the children and they were always polite and well behaved. Turns out that the paragon of virtue who adopted the children was sex abusing the children. The wife stood by her man while he was in prison.

Hi guys, I'm new here. I find this case so shocking that I felt I needed to say/do something.
All I can say re. the above is that LE better be keeping the grandfather the hell away from those kids. A known family member doubting their version of events would be extremely damaging.
How dare this 'grandfather' have an opinion when he effectively washed his hands of the children who knows how many years ago.

Welcome to websleuths!

Totally agree.

Is it possible that they may think there was an infant, before, or after, the two year old? An infant, that family/friends, who are on social media, may not have been aware of, as the child was not pictured on social media, but a neighbor, may have seen an additional child. It may only have just now, started "clicking" with folks, as to what they've seen, or even not seen, when the Turpin family lived near them.

Woah, excellent point. I never thought of that. That is so heartbreaking.
frown.gif
It makes me wonder why they'd make such a point of the Thing 1-13 teeshirt pic, but if this was the case, dressing all the 'kids' alike and naming them all J-names, would make sense if there were unexplained missing children at one stage.
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

I also wonder if Mom has an intellectual disability in the higher range. (Please know that I am not attempting to excuse ANY of this). Her inappropriate affect in the court video and her childlike behavior and affect in the renewal videos were ringing bells for me early on.

Our son and our daughter didn’t need to provide immunization records for college in MN. However, they were required when they attended public HS, Middle School and Elementary School. Our youngest is an elementary student and they are required.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member