CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This couple had no long term stability in their history, IMO. Their whole lives were chaotic.
Or it could have been:
Hard living in the feces and urine infested 4 yr. old house.
It was time to let someone else clean up the crap and waste in the home
They were both bored
Ok. is closer to L.V. for their next vow re-newal
Time for another foreclosure or BK -
Someone was on to them

Cost of living is cheaper in Oklahoma? It is way below CA.

disgruntled, I want to thank you for sharing your awful traumatic experience. Your words are hard to read, and maybe even harder to truky comprehend how anyone can do this to children (actualky, to any other living being). But it is so helpful for me to understand how quickly a body can deteriorate, and to know there can be healing. I hope you will one day be able to get past the worst of the scars you must carry. :hug: Thanks again, brave heart.

Sending a wave to A2FMNST! :wave: howdy, neighbor —- I am just south of you via US-23. It;s a small world, some days.

Waves back at spellbound! Howdy neighbor. I joined to discuss the Gabby Barrett case so you must be close to Sumpter too! Small world indeed!

Everything but the door? Went snooping in a home that bank had foreclosed on. Trespassing. Wonder if he found anything and kept it. Sorry it pet peeve people doing that.
Maybe they took bunk beds with them, some girl maybe his daughter said they had couple sets of bunk beds.
Jmho

I'm a snooper and urban explorer. I've wandered into properties that had "no tresspassing" signs on them more times than I can count. (Always empty and always open, never broken into anything.) No way would I find something like that and not alert authorities. In fact, I've done that before and they could of cared less how I came across the site-they were just happy for the call.

However, regarding the post that was quoted above this, there is no reason to believe that Mr. Vinyard stole anything, including bunk beds, from the place. Considering the nastiness he encountered, I hardly think someone would want to take something out of there and use it for their own kids. Besides, in another article it said that the family only had mattresses, not beds, for most of the kids.

Yes, it happens. There are always those who take it too far. I can also add more links to counter-argue and we can go back and forth on this all day. I think that would be disrespectful to the topic at hand, as well as to the other posters on the board, however, who are here to read about the case. My original post was concerning the bunkbeds and the idea that Mr. Vinyard had stolen them from the house.

Respectfully, I stand by my posts. And it is poor reporting and media agenda to make this horrible situation even worse. In regards to my original post that you did not quite yet referenced. In this article the man's wife is quoted as saying there were 2 rooms in double wide, with 6 sets of bunk beds. There were 12 kids, so 6 sets in 2 rooms is total of 12 beds for 12 children. Also daughter of couple is 25 now and would have been 17 at time went snooping with parents.

"Shelli said she went inside the double wide and found two rooms with six sets of bunk beds like barracks.
'There were like make-shift mattresses on the bed and when you tried to lift them up they would fall apart.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...amily-left-kitten-dumpster.html#ixzz5528FVo7E
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

I’m wondering if any posters have a medical background in child development.

I have something that is bothering me. When my daughter was born, primary importance was placed on feeding her constantly in those first weeks of life (doubling weight being the goal). To the degree that the visiting nurses and lactation consultants directed us to wake her up for feedings regardless of whether she wanted to sleep through them or not. My husband and I, as new parents, were inclined to just let her sleep. “Don’t wake a sleeping infant” and other colloquialisms filled our heads. Heeding the advice of the medical professionals, we were torn, and reached out to our doctor for more specific guidance. The answer we received was, “Yes, wake the baby up to feed at this early stage”. Hubby and I told the doctor that she would refuse to wake up for feeding time when we talked to her or ran the vacuum to wake her up. The doc suggested we use an ice cube applied to her foot for a few seconds to rouse her. I was flabbergasted by this suggestion and made him repeat it to me. I tried it once but couldn’t bring myself to try it again. We eventually found the noise of our small dogs barking did the trick. Our daughter is 7 now and healthy as can be!

Sorry, long way around the barn...

So knowing that the 2 yo survivor was well fed has me puzzled. I also know that if you feed a newborn nothing but water it can actually kill them, whereas a starving ADULT can survive on water only (in lieu of food) for a longer duration.

We’re all the survivors fed well as newborns during those critical first weeks? What changed? At what age did the starvation start? Was nutrition slowly restricted?

And lastly, could this be why they may be searching former properties for children who did not survive?
I think she loved babies and probably took good care of them as infants but as they got older she wasn't as interested in them as neglected them for new babies as they came along and then eventually began to abuse them. I've known women who love babies and the baby phase but lose interest in their kids as they get older.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

disgruntled, I want to thank you for sharing your awful traumatic experience. Your words are hard to read, and maybe even harder to truky comprehend how anyone can do this to children (actualky, to any other living being). But it is so helpful for me to understand how quickly a body can deteriorate, and to know there can be healing. I hope you will one day be able to get past the worst of the scars you must carry. :hug: Thanks again, brave heart.

Sending a wave to A2FMNST! :wave: howdy, neighbor —- I am just south of you via US-23. It;s a small world, some days.

Thank you. That was my intent~to give some insight. I am an old grey haired lady who has lived a happy life. I hope for the same for these young survivors.

Waves back at spellbound! Howdy neighbor. I joined to discuss the Gabby Barrett case so you must be close to Sumpter too! Small world indeed!

OT:
Yep ... grew up in Romulus, but moved to Monroe County @ 20 years ago. I worked at St Joe’s (transcription); Hubby works at U of M (maintenance).

Chelsea Bruck was local for us. Do you follow Julia Niswender’s case?

So many cases to follow, it sometimes is hard to keep up. I wonder if/when we might get a new update on how the kids are doing in this one. It would be nice to be able to follow their progress, but putting myself in their place I think I might want to have total privacy from public eyes. Hopefully, we will hear occasional good news about our Family-13.

Ricky Vinyard walked through the family’s trailer at the time, and reading reports from California this week reminded him of what he saw.

“It was waist-deep in filth. There were dead dogs and cats in there,” he said, the smell “rancid.”

He found two Chihuahuas that had survived by eating waste from a mound of soiled diapers. The family’s Ford F-150 truck was heaped with the dirty diapers and empty Vienna sausage cans, he said, “It seemed like that’s all they ate.”

The couple had claimed to home-school their children, and the feces-littered living room had the trappings of a makeshift classroom, he said, including eight small desks, a chalkboard, alphabet and number signs stapled to the wall.

As he moved from room to room, he noticed something odd: “Everything had locks on it: The closet had locks, the toy chest, the refrigerator.”

“There were no beds, just mattresses,” he said, and “There wasn’t a place in that house that wasn’t filthy.”

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-na-perris-texas-20180120-story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A deputy was called to the Turpin house in 2001 when a child was bitten by a dog,

I wonder if the deputy never got close enough to knock on the door or was met out by the drive? I wonder because I was at a home to help someone move, but had no clue til we arrived. I began to smell an odor about ten feet from the front door. I made it to the front door, and past the threshold, and had to back out. It was horrible. My stomach was lurching. The home itself didn't look that bad though, but I couldn't stick around to search out where it was coming from. It was all upstairs, I later learned, from two folks with cast iron stomachs. My point is, the home that I was at, was a pillar of cleanliness based on what it seems the T. homes were, so if I could smell that, within 10' of the front door, of the home that I was at, I have to wonder if the deputy smelled an odor or noticed the piles of rancid trash on the property?

Thank you. That was my intent~to give some insight. I am an old grey haired lady who has lived a happy life. I hope for the same for these young survivors.

Gray-haired ladies, we are! Glad to know you have been happy. There is lots of hope for “our Family” ... they seem to be getting a lot of special care that many others have not. I hope and pray their lives will also become happy and carefree.

They apparently saw nothing wrong with sending him out in public with the same filthy clothes.
And they weren't selectively feeding him since he was described as famished eating plate after plate. So sad that as things escalated he had to drop out last February. I hope this case will make me more aware of super skinny kids, that there is a lean body type and there is starvation and I hope to open my eyes to learn the difference.

I think she loved babies and probably took good care of them as infants but as they got older she wasn't as interested in them as neglected them for new babies as they came along and then eventually began to abuse them. I've known women who love babies and the baby phase but lose interest in their kids as they get older.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

The psychology behind this is troubling. Was the “mother” obsessed with the idea of the infant being 100% dependent on her and when they weren’t she just emotionally discarded them and the abuse began?

Rhetorical of course, just “thinking out loud”.

OT:
Yep ... grew up in Romulus, but moved to Monroe County @ 20 years ago. I worked at St Joe’s (transcription); Hubby works at U of M (maintenance).

Chelsea Bruck was local for us. Do you follow Julia Niswender’s case?

So many cases to follow, it sometimes is hard to keep up. I wonder if/when we might get a new update on how the kids are doing in this one. It would be nice to be able to follow their progress, but putting myself in their place I think I might want to have total privacy from public eyes. Hopefully, we will hear occasional good news about our Family-13.

My hubby works for UofM as well! Even smaller world! I graduated from EMU with my undergrad and MBA. I’ll PM you so we don’t get in trouble for sidetracking this thread!

And they weren't selectively feeding him since he was described as famished eating plate after plate. So sad that as things escalated he had to drop out last February. I hope this case will make me more aware of super skinny kids, that there is a lean body type and there is starvation and I hope to open my eyes to learn the difference.

Selectively refeeding him would not diminish his hunger when presented with a buffet table of food. He may have put on three pounds and be nourished enough to walk and study now....but still famished physically and mentally

If there is any land for sale in this area, it would be very unusual for the seller to include the mineral rights with the land. The new buyers wouldn't be getting any royalties. My husband's family has lived north of there for many generations, and he has also worked in the oilfield there.
Agree, they are usually severed rights here also. I was surprised he had both surface and mineral rights in TX.

Methinks Ms Monster either did not like to cook or did not know how to cook.

”Mom” and “Dad” surely didn’t go without food. He has a “beer belly” and she has some pretty hefty arms in that wedding dress. So incredibly sad....

It's my understanding that they moved to Murrieta, CA in 2010 after living in Rio Vista, TX. So I don't think they lived in Murrieta, CA in the 1980's. However, a whitepages search for LT shows that at one point she lived in Brea, CA. To me, this is most likely where they lived when the eldest child was born. And a Google maps search shows that Brea, CA is only 8 miles to Disneyland. Maybe the obsession with Disney started there?

Brea is where Boeing is. It's also a city with a high population of super religious people.

I'm just wondering, for the people who are sending cards to the survivors ... how are you greeting them? Are you saying "Dear and then using their actual names" or something like Dear Survivor? I mean what would be the appropriate way to address them on individual cards?

I wrote out the names of the older kids..."Dear..." I can't remember how I addressed the younger ones. It may have been "Dear kids" which is not great.

The Chamber of Commerce is stating that you can address the envelopes or kidshowever you want: "Turpin family".

Somehow i hate using that last name.

The Elvis impersonator on the family:

"“Watching them now it’s kind of haunting and disturbing,” Ripley told the Associated Press. “They all looked young and thin but I figured it was just their lifestyle. Maybe the activities they did, maybe because of their religious beliefs. I didn’t get that in depth with them but I knew they were a fun family.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...of-strange-behavior-family-and-neighbors-say/

Some people, not necessarily here, have publicly wondered why he didn't make a call to someone. It appears as though, while he might have thought they were a little different, he didn't see anything that would make him pause and consider abuse. My guess is that the entire amount of time he spent with them is seen on tape and while they are a little awkward and shy, they DO appear to be having fun and getting into the shtick.

I want to send them a card or something but I also want to wait. I'm afraid they're going to get all of this attention in the beginning but then, as the year progresses, it will slowly die off and that's when they'll need it the most. I have experience with that. My son died (it was sudden, there was no illness) 7 years ago. For the first few weeks, people were over every day. They were cleaning the house, packing up his toys for me, bringing over dinner, and just sitting with me and visiting. By about the 6-month mark, however, they'd all moved on and I was left almost entirely alone. Unfortunately, that's when I needed people the most. In a lot of traumatic situations, you're kind of running on adrenaline in the beginning; everything is moving so quickly. It takes weeks, and sometimes months, to digest everything and start processing it. The rest of the world has moved on but you're just starting to open your eyes, in a sense. I am therefore going to keep up with this family and try to stay abreast of what's going on so that I can perhaps send something later on, once things have kind of settled and they're not being inundated with so much at once. They're probably going to need it then, too. :-(

That's a great thought. The problem I have thought of is where to send the cards 6 months form now. Will the Chamber of Commerce still be facilitating that?

I think it may be special for them to get tons of cards now. Seeing how many people are thinking of them may be healing.

But if they could also get cards later? That would be awesome.

One of my my biggest worries is what life will be like for them after everything dies down.

Not a new name. It's been around for decades. There are even television shows, books, and a couple of movies about us. We're mostly photographers, though some are filmmakers.

I've been "caught" a few times. They've all been pleasant experiences and have led to personal tours of the properties and invitations to return. Motive is important. Urban exploring is a far cry from breaking into something and theft; it's about photo documenting a historical or architecturally interesting structure before it gives way to demolition or neglect. Permission is always sought when the owner is known.

An abandoned house in my state set empty for 30 years. I visited it on many occasions and took hundreds of pictures. I posted them on my website, which is geared towards urban exploring and historical decay. When the new owners bought the house and found my website while researching their new property, they were happy and contacted me. Apparently, someone had stolen the mantels, banisters, and fixtures from the home-my photos pre-theft were the only documentation of what the originals had looked like. They used them to restore the house. The owners later hired me to write a book about the property.

Wow! Very interesting.

Especially odd considering that the media is reporting that their current dogs are healthy and appear to be well taken care of.

There's a picture of her pregnant and standing next to a crib. The crib's a nice looking, expensive one. The light-colored carpet is clean and there's no sign of garbage or debris in the photo. It's a huge contrast to what this guy is reporting about their old house.

They actually abandoned their kids to one filthy house while they lived elsewhere. Besides, there are pictures proving the houses were squalid. Feces marks reach a couple feet up the wall.

These are hoarders. I have no doubt they left the property in an insane state.

The boy that went to college, was he allowed to shower more often? I'm asking because they seemed to be all about appearances and it wouldn't be a good look if he was the smelly kid in class.

Has anyone who was in his classes spoken to the media at all?

Yes. They didn't mention a smell.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/par...ings-allegedly-captive-planning-move-52543900

News now coming out that there was a job transfer, and they had quite a few U-Haul boxes in the home.

I'm also very surprised that, due to privacy laws, the information as to the son that went to college, all his records were released. I thought there were privacy acts protecting that.

I know. And the college reportedly would not answer questions due to privacy laws. So where did that come from?

The psychology behind this is troubling. Was the “mother” obsessed with the idea of the infant being 100% dependent on her and when they weren’t she just emotionally discarded them and the abuse began?

Rhetorical of course, just “thinking out loud”.
Some people really like breastfeeding alot.
But I think the brother is right, that she fantasized about being a reality TV star and so the starvation was more important for the older kids to keep them looking like kids. I think the wedding and Disney events were all just photo ops and would be interested to know if she had submitted them to agents or studios.

We only have this guy saying there were dead animals. Maybe there weren't.

Well there was also the other neighbor who went in the house and two dogs ran out, they found a kitten in the dumpster as well which they rescued. I wouldn't put it past them at all.

Only neighbors I am aware of are the Vineyards, talking about animals but may missed.

Media twists. And then people repeat. Other media misreports.
In this article, dogs allegedly came out of brick house, that no one had lived in since Turpin's purchased double wide (5/2004 bankruptcy doc)
Turpin's lived in Rio Vista until 5/2010 (bankruptcy doc) yet neighbors interviewed didn't know were gone until bill collectors came by and knocked on their door inquiring about. This would be summer in Texas so jmho anything in dumpster would smell that way. As far as kitten in dumpster, we don't know how big cat was, but article says allegedly heard other whimpering around property. Jmho very well could be cat climbed into dumpster looking for food as happens not only in country but in town/city as well.
Jmho
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...amily-left-kitten-dumpster.html#ixzz5528FVo7E
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Would he even qualify for financial aid? I don't live in California, but with a similar family income we made too much for my kids to qualify even when we had more than one in college at the same time. Even if he did, he was living at home so I can't imagine aid would cover any more than the cost of the classes.

These parents are monsters, but I can't see how they'd have financially benefited from his enrollment in school unless things are very different in California.

Hi! For his age, he could’ve applied as an independent student without an income. So, I think that qualifies him for some assistance with either a grant or a loan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member