CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about cures and treatments that would not be prescribed by a medical doctor. Alternative treatments. Herbs, supplements. All those things that Granny on the Beverly Hillbillies would do.

Granny witchin' or Folk Healers. I don't think that this is what the Ts were doing but it is definitely a thing.

But do we have actual evidence of abuse by LT's parents?

There have been so many theories that I can't remember seeing any actual evidence.

You can say that her parents were neglectful in allowing her to run off with DT, but having seen this sort of thing happen so many times myself, I know that this alone does not equate to neglect - not in the early 80s. The age difference was quite normal then, and getting married at 16 was still not hugely abnormal in that area at that time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't know that they were abusive, by their standards, or even by the standards of that era, but, I get a bit of a feeling that they may have been by today's standards. Again, just from something I read. Also, we've spoke about strict beliefs. Many Pentecostals (and Catholics) will not divorce. Period. It just is not done. However, LT's parents did divorce and LT's mother, remarried, two times! The pastor of the church where my family, and my spouse's family attended, would not marry us because we were both divorced. Same with my child and her fiance. They were considered "unequally yoked" and no one would marry them. We liked to have never found someone to perform the ceremony. Finally just went to a judge, who turned out to also be a pastor, who had no qualm about which way they wanted the service. All that to say, I wonder, if after LT took off, and he gave up his pastor title, that he saw the light?

I had never really heard of 'child torture' as a thing before this case. I'm struggling to get my head around it, and I think we all are.

We know there's such a thing as learning from the family that you grew up in. Some people might learn generally better parenting techniques than others from their parents. Some people can grow up in less great situations and turn out to want a lot better for their own kids and achieve it. And I guess some go the other way.

From what we're hearing this really does seem to be something DT and LT have developed for themselves over the years rather than directly emulating something they have experience with.

We've heard that the eldest girl, when she was still small, was expected to be deferential and polite to an extent that i'd say is going too far for the average four or five year old. She was apparently told to go to her room a lot. These things could come from either DT or LT's upbringing, but then they have turned "go to your room without supper" into one meal a day and malnutrition, control over the children's hand-washing and restricting showering/bathing, and not just sending a child to their room but physically restraining them in that room. These things might have beginnings in their upbringing and experiences but they've taken these things and blown them up like a balloon into something that even the strictest parents, the untidiest parents would never recognize as being anywhere near acceptable.

What is your definition of homeopathic? I am not familiar with diets and homeopathic. I thought it was giving a minuscule substance for illness

I think the word should have been “holistic” not homeopathic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if some of the calorie restriction might be a hint of some sort of homeopathic treatment taken to an extreme. Some parents of autistic children implement a Gluten-free, Casein-free, Soy-free diet. I've also heard low-carb, high fat (ketogenic) diets suggested.

On the other hand, the children's symptoms that appear to mimic autism could just been signs of long-term undernourishment.

Do you mean holistic?

Ketogenic way of eating has shown a lot of success with epileptic children but absolutely does not restrict calories. It actually encourages eating more calories than a standard diet.

I had never really heard of 'child torture' as a thing before this case. I'm struggling to get my head around it, and I think we all are.

We know there's such a thing as learning from the family that you grew up in. Some people might learn generally better parenting techniques than others from their parents. Some people can grow up in less great situations and turn out to want a lot better for their own kids and achieve it. And I guess some go the other way.

From what we're hearing this really does seem to be something DT and LT have developed for themselves over the years rather than directly emulating something they have experience with.

We've heard that the eldest girl, when she was still small, was expected to be deferential and polite to an extent that i'd say is going too far for the average four or five year old. She was apparently told to go to her room a lot. These things could come from either DT or LT's upbringing, but then they have turned "go to your room without supper" into one meal a day and malnutrition, control over the children's hand-washing and restricting showering/bathing, and not just sending a child to their room but physically restraining them in that room. These things might have beginnings in their upbringing and experiences but they've taken these things and blown them up like a balloon into something that even the strictest parents, the untidiest parents would never recognize as being anywhere near acceptable.
This. Thank you. Nothing we've heard about from their childhoods could possibly be the cause of this. Even as a factor - being abused themselves would be a small factor in my mind because a lot of kids are abused, but it's not often that any go on to torture children in such a regulated and planned way on a daily basis.

In fact, the horrors they created would be pretty unbelievable if this had been written as a fictional tale.

Granny witchin' or Folk Healers. I don't think that this is what the Ts were doing but it is definitely a thing.

I agree. I don't think anything they were doing with food was meant to be in any way "healing".

It's more of a natural way to treat and prevent illness.
Very few (if any) pharmaceutical treatments are used.
Essential oils are huge in homeopathy.
Lots of tea, herbs, spices.

IMO

Homeopathy uses very specific preparations of minuscule amounts of a thing (arnica and belladonna for teething) to treat very specific conditions.

Holistic medicine generally does include homeopathy, essential oils, possibly Traditional Chinese Medicine, acupuncture/acupressure, diet, teas, tinctures, etc..

Also, our normal western medicine taught PCP gave my husband an essential oil blend to use recently when he was having horrid joint pain that was affecting his work because he told her he didn’t want opioids and it helped a lot. Complementary medicine is becoming much more mainstream.

This is a photograph of someone’s photo album. Who is sharing their photo album with Telemundo?

This is not directed to you, newsjunkie, but is just an observation. 'We' all seem happy to post and communicate any new photos on one hand but seem to condemn those who give them out. We can't have it both ways. We hope for new photos, I suspect, to reveal new clues about how the Turpins ran their lives.

I think I have seen enough to satisfy my curiosity. I have an understanding of the gist of what happened, I don't need the fine details (although the courts will).

And while I'm giving my opinion, I also feel we need to treat these offspring as individuals. They all had their own personality, some are brave, some are kind, some are fearful and some might be disruptive or mean. They have not been treated equally. I would not be surprised if some offspring were chained a lot more than others. I think the eldest boy is a 'golden child', the second boy a 'scapegoat'. They then would all have different experiences of the abuse. And they will all have a different trajectory of recovery.

I view DT as a henpecked cuckold.

Well, I'm not going to let him escape so easily! Did not the whole household follow his work schedule and slept through the day. Who did the beatings? And strangulations seem to be a particularly male thing. No, he added his own nastiness to this crime.

It's more of a natural way to treat and prevent illness.
Very few (if any) pharmaceutical treatments are used.
Essential oils are huge in homeopathy.
Lots of tea, herbs, spices.

IMO

This is the only homeopathy that I think is what homeopathy is. It is using miniscule amounts of substances. The rest— the esential oils, etc, are something else.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeopathy

Homeopathy itself is the idea that like treats like and involves dilutions of substances.

Naturopathic medicine is what uses essential oils and other herb and nature based treatments.

Imo homeopathy is a joke, while naturopathy is more based on science but frequently made fun of and lumped together with homeopathy.

Wikipedia may disagree. So may you [emoji4] so... Your mileage may vary

But do we have actual evidence of abuse by LT's parents?

There have been so many theories that I can't remember seeing any actual evidence.

You can say that her parents were neglectful in allowing her to run off with DT, but having seen this sort of thing happen so many times myself, I know that this alone does not equate to neglect - not in the early 80s. The age difference was quite normal then, and getting married at 16 was still not hugely abnormal in that area at that time.

It depends on where you lived, I imagine. A 16 year old getting married was considered very undesireable where I lived in MN.

Homeopathy itself is the idea that like treats like and involves dilutions of substances.

Naturopathic medicine is what uses essential oils and other herb and nature based treatments.

Imo homeopathy is a joke, while naturopathy is more based on science but frequently made fun of and lumped together with homeopathy.

Wikipedia may disagree. So may you [emoji4] so... Your mileage may vary

Where I live, homeopathic medicines are sold in the pharmacy along with essential oils. No prescription needed. Europe uses homepathy very normally. It is not considered strange. I do not live in Europe. Rather, a colony

And teas and flower things are also totally part of the culture. Totally normal.

Thank you vmmking. Well stated. I sometimes find myself doing so, too, and get annoyed at myself. It is still prevalent thought, though, in quite a few, modern day, young women, that men are not capable of caring for children.
It truly is. I can't tell you to how many uncomfortable fathers I've had to explain that their preschool age son isn't gay or whatever because he plays with the classroom dolls!

I go with this rule of thumb, accessed today from https://goo.gl/images/Pf2uAD
ac2e3762e8b7d6517cae170c512c1fd0.jpg

Where I live, homeopathic medicines are sold in the pharmacy along with essential oils. No prescription needed. Europe uses homepathy very normally. It is not considered strange. I do not live in Europe. Rather, a colony

And teas and flower things are also totally part of the culture. Totally normal.
I'm all for whatever works. If I could afford it I'd have a full time acupuncturist on call!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickets

Here is a link about rickets.

Rickets is reversible. It has been for a long time.

Rickets is only reversible in young children. However the older kids were outside in Texas so I think they would not suffer from the most severe deformities. Any woman with rickets would find childbirth almost impossible without a Cesarian, so the younger girls might be at risk.

If the vitamin d deficient occurs in adults, they don't develop rickets, they develop osteomalacia (bone pain).

Do you mean holistic?

Ketogenic way of eating has shown a lot of success with epileptic children but absolutely does not restrict calories. It actually encourages eating more calories than a standard diet.

I stand corrected. Thank you.

I think that with the addition of the newest sibling photo from the graduation in 2007, we have amassed a yearly look at the kids from late 2007 to late 2015.

Since the bankruptcy docs were filed 8/31/11, and list a four year old, and an eleven year old was freed on 1/14/18 I think you all have nailed down that #12s bday is likely during the last quarter of 2006, but anywhere between Sept-1-2006 (or possibly earlier due to the nature of bankruptcy ppwk as source) and Jan-14-2007.

ETA: i didn't actually mean to attach pics here. I was messing around trying the other attachment method, but couldn't get them to sort and gave up, thought I deleted....the middle years are missing, but man, the pics do tell a sad story.

Attachments

• Turpin_Family_10.jpg
    Turpin_Family_10.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 128
  • turpin-family3.jpg
    turpin-family3.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_7679-0Mtlmd+cali1.jpg
    IMG_7679-0Mtlmd+cali1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 123
  • tlmd-megynkelly-familia-encadenada-03.JPG
    tlmd-megynkelly-familia-encadenada-03.JPG