CA - 2-month old baby found dead in hot car - June 20, 2024

Clearsky

Reaction score
A 2-month-old baby died June 13 in Santee after she was left inside an SUV for more than 9 hours.
San Diego doctors warn against leaving children in hot cars after Santee infant death

The newborn, Diana Sofia De Los Santos, was found unresponsive in an SUV outside the home of her adoptive parents at 12:20 a.m. on June 13, 2024, in Santee, San Diego.
[snip]
The couple took her home on April 11, after traveling to Arizona to meet her in the hospital.
Parenting, Baby Names, Celebrities, and Royal News | CafeMom.com

PICTURED: Baby girl who died after being left in hot car 'for hours'

lots of photos of the adoptive dad, 2 year old big brother and adorable baby girl at the Daily Mail link

I just don't get it... how are two people in the house for 9 hours and neither realizes the baby isn't there? No feedings? No diaper changes? No playtime? Snuggles? Wtf
From all accounts and photos on that daily mail article they seem like well rounded, mature, compassionate, caring people.
Even severely sleep deprived... HOW?!!

This happened well over a decade ago and it shocked me and it was a case where dad typically did not take the infant to daycare, so his mind automatically just drove to the train station & took off to work, leaving the infant in the car all day. The infant perished. There have been PSAs on this in California in the past to remind parents to put their cell phones in the back seat next to the infant seat so they'll notice as they get go their destination.

Usually it's a misunderstanding between the parents, communication where one person thinks the other took care of baby....

"Temperatures in El Cerrito were only in the high 60s or low 70s, but experts say young children can be at hyperthermia risk even in such mild weather." (In this case it's SD summer so MUCH hotter.)

Last edited:
I just don't get it... how are two people in the house for 9 hours and neither realizes the baby isn't there? No feedings? No diaper changes? No playtime? Snuggles? Wtf
From all accounts and photos on that daily mail article they seem like well rounded, mature, compassionate, caring people.
Even severely sleep deprived... HOW?!!
This is what I wonder. They are a gay couple who adopted a boy first, then this baby girl. Have a nice home, garden, pets, take trips, and have a YouTube channel about their lives. They were overjoyed to adopt this baby.

They get home at 3:30 pm and the baby is left in the SUV until she’s discovered by a family member after midnight. Baffling.

OVER 9 hours? Found at 12:20am.....so that means since PRIOR to 3:20pm. Like another poster mentioned, no missed feedings were noticed? Missed diaper changes? Dinner time and bed time routines also didn't include anything with the baby but NO ONE noticed? How?!
Those are prime "chaos" times for families with multiple kids where parents are so busy tending to kids, feeding kids, cleaning up after kids, preparing things for the next day, etc. Everything seems to be related to the kids at those hours. How did no one do ANY of the routine things for the baby during those hours and not realize the baby wasn't there?

Last edited:
OVER 9 hours? Found at 12:20am.....so that means since PRIOR to 3:20pm. Like another poster mentioned, no missed feedings were noticed? Missed diaper changes? Dinner time and bed time routines also didn't include anything with the baby but NO ONE noticed? How?!
Those are prime "chaos" times for families with where parents are the most busy tending to kids.
Exactly. That’s why I was wondering if for some reason, the family member who found the baby had been babysitting and slacking off. The two dads don’t seem the type to do that (from their care of their adopted son).

Exactly. That’s why I was wondering if for some reason, the family member who found the baby had been babysitting and slacking off. The two dads don’t seem the type to do that (from their care of their adopted son).
Do we know where everyone else was during the time the baby was in the car? Was the older sibling in the care of the babysitter? Where were the parents?

jmo

Do we know where everyone else was during the time the baby was in the car? Was the older sibling in the care of the babysitter? Where were the parents?

jmo
That’s not been disclosed. Police did request that the next door neighbor’s ring cam footage be turned over.

I just find it very strange, after reading how home and child-oriented these dads were, that the baby went undiscovered for 9 hours — and then, it was not the dads who found her.

Was someone else watching her and dropped the ball?

Last edited:
In the Daily Mail article The vehicle shown as "THE vehicle" that the baby was left in looks to be the same vehicle as the one parked in the driveway in a google photo of the house that the daily mail also posted in the same article. So I'm guessing it's their vehicle, though I suppose a babysitter or someone besides the dads could have been using the family vehicle to transport the kids while caring for them.

In the Daily Mail article The vehicle shown as "THE vehicle" that the baby was left in looks to be the same vehicle as the one parked in the driveway in a google photo of the house that the daily mail also posted in the same article. So I'm guessing it's their vehicle, though I suppose a babysitter or someone besides the dads could have been using the family vehicle to transport the kids while caring for them.
Yes. I’m going to be very surprised if these dads really zoned out for 9+ hours (unless they’re addicts, which their past history does NOT indicate).

I’m inclined to believe that they made a huge mistake in allowing someone to watch her, for whatever reason. I could be wrong, but that’s how I see it right now.

Is there more to this story? Could the 2 yr-old have been sick and the dads were tending to him?
They had had the little girl long enuff to probably have a rhythm with both their children. Did something happen on that day/night that took them way off their usual to-do's?

Two months is certainly long enough for the mind and body to develop a habit, but it's also a short enough time for the muscle memory from before that time to still be in place. So if they went about their day following what used to be their schedule and patterns from before this baby was adopted, I can see that happening.

I have a theory about these cases, at least the ones where the child was honestly forgotten about. My theory applies to the overall increase in these cases, not about any specific case. I'm thinking about how life has become so much more fast-paced, people try to normalize a certain amount of stress and to keep all their "balls in the air" by sheer willpower rather than by actually getting enough sleep, enough exercise, and having a life that doesn't exceed their mental and scheduling means.

At the same time I won't be surprised if it turns out there is more to this story. Even if my "stressful life" theory is correct, that doesn't provide an explanation for individual cases.

So sad.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm