CA - 2-month old baby found dead in hot car - June 20, 2024

I was just reading the below and wondering:
1. Is “the family” a reference to the 2 dads, the male toddler, and the baby?
2. Or some more people?
3. I had assumed that the “family member” who discovered the baby after midnight and called 911 was someone other than the 2 dads, but could I have been wrong?
4. This was the foundation for my belief in the possibility that someone other than the dads was watching the baby, but was I right to assume that? Anyone have any thoughts?

In an update on Monday, the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department identified the child and provided more information into what happened that night.

The department reports the family arrived home around 3 p.m. on Wednesday, June 12, and the infant was found unconscious and still inside the SUV shortly after midnight on Thursday, June 13.

Officers responded to the home in the 10000 block of Settle Road in Santee around 12:30 a.m. when a family member called 911 after finding the infant.

This is what I wonder. They are a gay couple who adopted a boy first, then this baby girl. Have a nice home, garden, pets, take trips, and have a YouTube channel about their lives. They were overjoyed to adopt this baby.

They get home at 3:30 pm and the baby is left in the SUV until she’s discovered by a family member after midnight. Baffling.

That makes zero sense to me. Good grief, I had four kids, a full time job, and a husband gone half the time on deployment or work. A dog. And no one was EVER left in the car! When my kids were little, always one in a baby seat, one in a toddler seat, one in a booster seat...I always did "oldest to youngest in, youngest to oldest out". Because the baby stays in a stroller, rather than run around.

That makes zero sense to me. Good grief, I had four kids, a full time job, and a husband gone half the time on deployment or work. A dog. And no one was EVER left in the car! When my kids were little, always one in a baby seat, one in a toddler seat, one in a booster seat...I always did "oldest to youngest in, youngest to oldest out". Because the baby stays in a stroller, rather than run around.
Agreed , it’s extremely puzzling as to how this happened.

the overnight timeframe is the most confusing part for me. its not like the typical "thought i dropped the kid off at daycare and realized when work was done" hot car death. if both dads were home (which i dont think has been confirmed), is it not a red flag that the baby didnt cry?? what 2 month old sleeps continously? no feeds? no diaper changes?
if everythings on the up-and-up, and i have no reason to distrust this couple, i think the babysitter theory always discussed above is a good theory, or a scenario where one dad was supposed to drop the baby off for a sleepover with a grandparent or friend, forgot, and went home with baby still in tow. strange that the baby never came up in conversation (i.e. "was Diana upset when you dropped her off? Was [grandparent] doing well when you dropped by?") but i guess its possible, especially if only one dad was at home this day

Agreed , it’s extremely puzzling as to how this happened.

Or is it, that even when my husband was home, I "knew" who was in charge of keeping track of kids? My husband is great, great Dad, great everything...but, in the end, I was in charge of the baby, and knowing who was doing what, where...why? I guess, I was "The Mom". I never even expected him to drop kids off at daycare or pick them up.

Is it different in same sex couples? Are both egalitarian? So, there isn't a "primary" care giver? They both thought that the other one was taking care of the baby? Nine hours? Makes zero sense to me.

the overnight timeframe is the most confusing part for me. its not like the typical "thought i dropped the kid off at daycare and realized when work was done" hot car death. if both dads were home (which i dont think has been confirmed), is it not a red flag that the baby didnt cry?? what 2 month old sleeps continously? no feeds? no diaper changes?
if everythings on the up-and-up, and i have no reason to distrust this couple, i think the babysitter theory always discussed above is a good theory, or a scenario where one dad was supposed to drop the baby off for a sleepover with a grandparent or friend, forgot, and went home with baby still in tow. strange that the baby never came up in conversation (i.e. "was Diana upset when you dropped her off? Was [grandparent] doing well when you dropped by?") but i guess its possible, especially if only one dad was at home this day
Good possibility, but also wouldn’t the grandparent call and ask, “Why didn’t you drop the baby off as planned?” There seems to be a big piece of the puzzle missing in this scenario.

The only other thing I can think of is if this was a baby who could take a 4 hour nap, and then the watchers fell asleep for the other 5 hours? Yet that really doesn’t add up, either.

Or is it, that even when my husband was home, I "knew" who was in charge of keeping track of kids? My husband is great, great Dad, great everything...but, in the end, I was in charge of the baby, and knowing who was doing what, where...why? I guess, I was "The Mom". I never even expected him to drop kids off at daycare or pick them up.

Is it different in same sex couples? Are both egalitarian? So, there isn't a "primary" care giver? They both thought that the other one was taking care of the baby? Nine hours? Makes zero sense to me.
Right, if they did things 50/50 there may have been a mix up or wrong assumption. But the 9 hour time frame makes every scenario still confusing.

The fact that humans are more likely to remember their cells phones than their children . . . says a lot about us.
I think it’s moreso because your phone is in your hand no matter where you go. If your baby is in your car and you’ve driven to work, forgetting to take them to daycare first, you’re going to grab your phone to go into work but not be thinking to get the baby to go into work.

You can also take off a shoe and put it in the backseat. It just has to be something you would grab and take inside with you regardless of where you are going.

I think it’s moreso because your phone is in your hand no matter where you go. If your baby is in your car and you’ve driven to work, forgetting to take them to daycare first, you’re going to grab your phone to go into work but not be thinking to get the baby to go into work.

You can also take off a shoe and put it in the backseat. It just has to be something you would grab and take inside with you regardless of where you are going.
I think taking off one of your shoes and putting it in back near the baby is the best bet. How could you possibly walk into work or anywhere wearing only one shoe without noticing it?

In the end, I can understand how you could forget or not know that a baby was left in the driveway for 3 hours, mistakenly thinking it had been taken in and was napping.[sadly still fatal ]
It’s the 9 hours that is so puzzling.

I was just reading the below and wondering:
1. Is “the family” a reference to the 2 dads, the male toddler, and the baby?
2. Or some more people?
3. I had assumed that the “family member” who discovered the baby after midnight and called 911 was someone other than the 2 dads, but could I have been wrong?
4. This was the foundation for my belief in the possibility that someone other than the dads was watching the baby, but was I right to assume that? Anyone have any thoughts?

In an update on Monday, the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department identified the child and provided more information into what happened that night.

The department reports the family arrived home around 3 p.m. on Wednesday, June 12, and the infant was found unconscious and still inside the SUV shortly after midnight on Thursday, June 13.

Officers responded to the home in the 10000 block of Settle Road in Santee around 12:30 a.m. when a family member called 911 after finding the infant.

Maybe if they thought writing “one of the adoptive fathers” sounded too wordy and just simplified. I’m not sure.

Maybe if they thought writing “one of the adoptive fathers” sounded too wordy and just simplified. I’m not sure.
Good point. So I’m not sure now that I reached the right conclusion about “a family member found her and called 911” indicating that the dads were not home…..

I think taking off one of your shoes and putting it in back near the baby is the best bet. How could you possibly walk into work or anywhere wearing only one shoe without noticing it?
Absolutely!

I now have a newer car, that has a lot of bells and whistles that my previous car, a Toyota from 2000, did not have. One is that if I open a back door before driving anywhere (without starting the car, so unlock, open back door) , then drive to where I need to go, park and switch off the engine, the car beeps at me with a message on the screen "check back seat". My husband finds it annoying but I see how this can save lives.

Absolutely!

I now have a newer car, that has a lot of bells and whistles that my previous car, a Toyota from 2000, did not have. One is that if I open a back door before driving anywhere (without starting the car, so unlock, open back door) , then drive to where I need to go, park and switch off the engine, the car beeps at me with a message on the screen "check back seat". My husband finds it annoying but I see how this can save lives.
That’s definitely a good feature to have! Better to annoy people than to have a child die.
The scary thing is, people might learn to tune it out and ignore it, but I would hope not.

Last edited:
Good possibility, but also wouldn’t the grandparent call and ask, “Why didn’t you drop the baby off as planned?” There seems to be a big piece of the puzzle missing in this scenario.

The only other thing I can think of is if this was a baby who could take a 4 hour nap, and then the watchers fell asleep for the other 5 hours? Yet that really doesn’t add up, either.
It’s the time frame. We’ve seen over and over babies left in cars while parents work, thinking baby is with carer. Horrific & unbearable but professionals have even explained how & why it happens. Not this, this is family time. Whether it was one parent or two, this is meal time, bath time, story & bedtime. Their house isn’t so large that the baby would’ve been unseen & unheard for all those hours. Whatever happened that day this is heartbreaking for all. I’m going to continue praying that nothing criminal was involved and baby Diane slipped away in her sleep, until I read differently.

The only other thing I can think of, and of course its absolutely only conjecture, is that something happened where she died, and being placed in the car for “hot car death” was just staging. Not likely, but the 9 hours opens up that possibility to the mind.

Absolutely!

Our 2023 car has the same back seat alert too. In fact we put something heavy on the back seat once and the alert came on.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back