CA - 4 Family Members Kidnapped From Business, Merced County, Oct 2022 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Someone help me. :D

Am I looking in the wrong spot? Inmate Search

Neither brother appears on the roster, but according to this, JM and A were booked on Thursday.
I'm also not finding either defendant using VINELink.

Based on the nature of the crime, I wouldn't be surprised if their profiles are currently set to verbal confirmation only where you have to call the jail directly to confirm if the individual is in custody. I've had this experience before where the security risk inmate won't populate inmate search sites until after they've made their first court appearance or been arraigned.

Agree…. Right at the very end of one of the videos I have watched .. the Sheriff said when the full details of thIs heinous crime are revealed, the public are going to be very angry ….

I suggest he is correct…..

(Thanks also for fixing my earlier link McGoo)
He left the baby to die!!?

I agree, Sheriff, there's not much that would make me angrier!!

Then how likely is he to have been a ‘former employee’ who used to drive for them. Is it possible that the reporter conflated this story with his previous conviction, when he tried to kidnap his ex-employer?
The family had a prior trucking business called Unison Trucking Inc. and recently opened a new business called Gateway Parking which is a storage facility for vehicles.AK Gateway Parking Business 1.jpg
Then how likely is he to have been a ‘former employee’ who used to drive for them. Is it possible that the reporter conflated this story with his previous conviction, when he tried to kidnap his ex-employer?

I don't follow a lot of cases here. I joined when the Daybells were at large near me. Dabbled in the Nashville bombing, followed the terror of the Liza Fletcher murder, then took interest in this one because it was so strange. I am a "grandson" of Merced so I feel a connection. My mother was born there long ago.

While this case is tragic, I don't see the same kind of raw evil as the Fletcher case. I'm not defending the losers who killed the family in any way, just saying it seems more like a crime that escalated from a dispute rather than a random act of violence. That does not make it any less sad though.

I will be in the area in a couple of months. I thought about adding flowers or something to an monument. But I have read that Sikhs do not create monuments to the dead so that might be disrespectful.

17 years later, we are hearing from the mother and daughter who were held captive at gunpoint during the home invasion involving JS in 2005. He wore a mask then, too, but the father recognized him, whispering to his wife not to mention his name. That way he hoped that they wouldn't be shot after the robbery, and they weren't shot, they survived.

The article also says that the father in the home invasion in 2005 was giving JS a ride to work daily, it sounds like, so the perp was often inside their house.

Sounds like this guy garnered the sympathy and kindness of his employers and then planned to rob them.

In that case, a family told deputies Salgado dressed in a black ski mask and robbed them at gunpoint at their home in Merced County.

The incident was reported Dec. 19, 2005. A man who lived at the home said he had driven into his garage when Salgado opened the driver’s side door and pointed a gun at him, according to the sheriff’s report.

The man’s wife, daughter, and her friend were home at the time. Salgado bound the man’s hands behind his back, took his wallet from his pants pocket and demanded the PIN for his credit card. “Better tell me the truth because I’m taking your daughter with me,” Salgado told the victim, according to the sheriff’s report.

The victim told Salgado his PIN code. Salgado then entered the house and ordered the victim’s wife to bring a safe into the garage. With Salgado holding her at gunpoint, the wife opened the safe. Salgado reached into the safe and grabbed a large amount of cash and a bag containing jewelry.

He then ordered the family into the swimming pool at gunpoint, and threatened to come back and kill them if they notified law enforcement, according to the sheriff’s report.

Read more at: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article266915741.html#storylink=cpy

What do you think his motive could possibly have been?

Did he murder everyone he's ever worked for?

Should employers just not hire ex-cons?

Seems to me that the suspect has a predatory nature about him where he grooms his prey before he retaliates with the kill.

In the 2005 case, his employer also gave him a ride to work every day (also a trucking firm). (This seems to go above and beyond to me).

In this case, it seems to me that to have an altercation that generates texts and emails long after the date you were terminated, feels more personal than a strict termination by the employer. Here, the suspect feels entitled to contact them directly. JMO

Seems to me that the suspect has a predatory nature about him where he grooms his prey before he retaliates with the kill.

In the 2005 case, his employer also gave him a ride to work every day (also a trucking firm). (This seems to go above and beyond to me).

In this case, it seems to me that to have an altercation that generates texts and emails long after the date you were terminated, feels more personal than a strict termination by the employer. Here, the suspect feels entitled to contact them directly. JMO
If he was terminated about 2 years ago, think about when that was, near the beginning of covid. There was extended unemployment and so forth so JS probably was not terribly bothered with not working. I'd be willing to bet the texts and emails started when his unemployment was cut off. The Singhs may have just taken the easy way out and laid him off instead of firing him.

Just checked, California's Pandemic Unemployment program ended September 4, 2021, about a year ago. So JS had to start looking for work then. Maybe he came back tooking for his old job back and they said "no." Maybe he did find a job then and lost it recently and a prospective employer contacted the Singhs and they were honest and not getting the job set him off.

Yes, it is speculation. But given the timing we have heard it fits.

Public records show the family owns Unison Trucking Inc. and relatives said they had opened an office in the last few weeks in a parking lot the Singh brothers also operated. The feud with Salgado dated back a year, the sheriff said, and “got pretty nasty” in text messages or emails. Other details about Salgado’s employment and the nature of the dispute were not immediately available.

Hopefully the reason for the disagreement will come to light soon. It would be interesting to know if it did involve unemployment. In certain circumstances, unemployment for a terminated employee can be denied and the employer can dispute the filing. Or maybe it involved their willingness to provide a good job reference after he was fired, could be many different things.

I wonder if Jasdeep even knew him or if he did, recognized him with the mask on?

Public records show the family owns Unison Trucking Inc. and relatives said they had opened an office in the last few weeks in a parking lot the Singh brothers also operated. The feud with Salgado dated back a year, the sheriff said, and “got pretty nasty” in text messages or emails. Other details about Salgado’s employment and the nature of the dispute were not immediately available.

Hopefully the reason for the disagreement will come to light soon. It would be interesting to know if it did involve unemployment. In certain circumstances, unemployment for a terminated employee can be denied and the employer can dispute the filing. Or maybe it involved their willingness to provide a good job reference after he was fired, could be many different things.

I wonder if Jasdeep even knew him or if he did, recognized him with the mask on?
They only had a few drivers. I've seen 5, 9, and 13 in public records. I don't know what is correct but it wasn't hundreds. I'm sure Jasdeep knew him. Everything in the press about the demeanor of Jasdeep, Amandeep, and Jesus Salgado is that they were kind and polite. Obviously for Jesus there was more beneath the surface. But for good people like the Singh brothers seeing a former employee who was down on his luck collecting recyclables may have triggered the kindness in them more than anything else, regardless of what he had previously siad by text or email. They may have let him in to talk things through.

This event has triggered a lot of emotions for me. <modsnip: discussing moderation/previously removed source>

At the vigils there were hugs all around for the family from the broad community, not just the Sikh community. These people were loved by everyone they touched. Their neighbors spoke highly of them. There are some big donations rolling in from businesses they likely dealt with as truckers like a petroleum company. I have never gone to a vigil like this but if I were within a couple of hours drive I think I would have been at one of these.

These were Indian Sikhs, a culture and group that is very foreign to most Americans <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be interesting to know if it did involve unemployment. In certain circumstances, unemployment for a terminated employee can be denied and the employer can dispute the filing.
Normally if an employee is fired "for cause," i.e. they did something wrong, they do not get unemployment. As an employer, the premium you pay for unemployment insurance often depends on the number of claims you have had. So if you routinely laid people off you would pay higher rates. That's why many employers would rather keep a bad employee for a while rather than firing him.

But that all changed during covid. There were special rules and employers could lay off without impacting their rates, and the laid off employees got enhanced benefits that were a pretty good deal. I had to lay off about a dozen people as a supervior in a 100+ employee organization and almost everyone did quite well for at least a year. Almost all of my employees retired, went back to school, or found other jobs. But in the broader economy, when benefits started to taper off last fall it created a lot of stress.

That's why I think the timing of JS getting nasty with the Singhs makes sense.

[...]

Jaspreet Kaur, Amandeep Singh’s widow, said in a fundraiser that her husband and his brother had been in the United States for 18 years and supported not only their families in California but also their elderly parents back in India.

“This is the story of our shared American dream gone wrong,” she wrote. “Our loving family was violently taken away from us on October 3rd.”

Kaur said her husband routinely donated food to the local food bank and never missed Sunday service in the local Sikh temple. They had a 9-year-old daughter and an 8-year-old son.
The baby’s parents married three years ago in India and reunited two years ago after her mother immigrated to the U.S., she said.

At a vigil Thursday evening in downtown Merced, hundreds of people held lit candles and formed a circle around enlarged photos of the victims. Religious leaders of different faiths opened the ceremony with prayers for the family, the Merced Sun-Star reported.

[...]

[...]

Jaspreet Kaur, Amandeep Singh’s widow, said in a fundraiser that her husband and his brother had been in the United States for 18 years and supported not only their families in California but also their elderly parents back in India.

“This is the story of our shared American dream gone wrong,” she wrote. “Our loving family was violently taken away from us on October 3rd.”

Kaur said her husband routinely donated food to the local food bank and never missed Sunday service in the local Sikh temple. They had a 9-year-old daughter and an 8-year-old son.
The baby’s parents married three years ago in India and reunited two years ago after her mother immigrated to the U.S., she said.

At a vigil Thursday evening in downtown Merced, hundreds of people held lit candles and formed a circle around enlarged photos of the victims. Religious leaders of different faiths opened the ceremony with prayers for the family, the Merced Sun-Star reported.
[...]
The elderly parents live in the US, not India.

Aman's kids are 6 (son) and 9 (daughter)

The elderly parents live in the US, not India.

Aman's kids are 6 (son) and 9 (daughter)
I believe there are many sets of parents here including parents and/or grandparents of the spouses.

The sheriff reported the father arrived from India:

... Sheriff Warnke said he believes that Salgado planned on killing the family from the beginning.

“They’re going to have lifelong suffering from this. The father of the two men flew in from India this morning. He’s here,” said Sheriff Warnke. “They want justice. He lost two sons.”

I believe there are many sets of parents here including parents and/or grandparents of the spouses.

The sheriff reported the father arrived from India:
Here is what Jaspreet (Aman's widow) said:

Aman and Jasdeep were the primary bread earners for the family, supported their elderly parents, and lived under one roof...

They are survived by Aroohi’s grandparents, Randhir Singh and Kirpal Kaur, Aman’s wife, Jaspreet Kaur (Jass) their children Ekam (6 years) and Seerat (9 years)...

Randhir and Kirpal were overjoyed in recent years to see their family grow. They were proud of their sons Aman and Jasdeep...

So they all lived in the same house in Atwater. Mention is made that the elderly parents recently traveled to India. It is possible the father was still there and traveled back after the murders. But I read somewhere early on that the parents had immigrated about 20 years ago.

BBM

[...]

[...]
I'm so happy the community is showing up for the family, I hope they find comfort in the outpouring of support.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neejo
Back